The album that saved black metal

the album that saved black metal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=poQ-tg7Nypk
youtube.com/watch?v=sX7h-w16Z0k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not really, if anything it fucked up the fanbase even more by bringing in people who weren't "trve" and then pissing off "trve" autists.

Black metal didn't need saving.

FUCKING HIPSTER CUNTS GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY GENRE GOD FUCKING DAMN

pic related is the last good black metal album ever released and everything thats come after is irrelevant and derivative

Blackgaze was already on it's way out when Sunbather came out though m8 baka

I don't know man, it didn't sound like a poorly composed piece of shit so it's hardly a black metal album.

There's no fucking way those random scribbles on the upper side mean "Weakling".

I can see it

git gud

Is there an eye trick you have to do or something?

Squint and look very closely

What I usually do is look for the places where it's asymmetrical. The asymmetries are places where, for example, the W is different from the G, the E is different from the N, and so on.

See, that. That right there. That's what I hate about most black metal. Everything about it is incredibly derivative, even it's imagery. Every band is exactly the same.
Why is that? Is it because they're run out of ideas entirely or is it because they really hate experimentation?

>not avtists

Thanks for the tips, i'm beginning to see it I think.

Anyone know what the font is that spells DEAD AS DREAMS? It's rad as fuck.

true for most metal, but agreed, its why I dont listen to much metal anymore because its all so similar feeling

(You)

y'all faggots need to develop some taste

youtube.com/watch?v=poQ-tg7Nypk

Fucking kek.

acutally lol'd when i read this. thanks for that

Black metal is the single most plastic and malleable subgenre/style of metal. There's no more welcoming environment for experimentation in all of metal. You've just had bad experiences/luck.

>yet another Neige pet project "saving" anything other than his bank account
Alcest called and says you're such a big fairy he wants you on the cover of his next album.

that album was released in 2000 retard
all the other atmoshit copied it, not the other way around

>indian
>black metal

boring

You really think atmospheric black metal was born in 2000, huh
>boring
you not finding it entertaining doesn't mean shit

i'm not saying that atmospheric black metal was born in 2000. Obviously Burzum was around before then and obviously Weakling takes a lot of inspiration from Burzum.

Weakling started post-rock infused atmoblack as far as I know. Dead as Dreams is the earliest recorded atmoblack record with clear 2nd wave post-rock influence that I have heard. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Yeah, I'm both amazed and disgruntled with this wave of post-rockish/shoegazey BM of the past five-or-so years. Blackgaze as a style was exhausted in less than five releases, all of which are from the first half of the 2000s.

Can you imagine some fuck releasing a Horna ripoff in 2018 saying "this is the next step in the evolution of black metal herherheh"?

I would definitely describe the debuts of Fleurety, In The Woods.... and Ulver to be atmospheric black metal with 2nd-wave post-rock influences. Then there are bands like Primordial, early Negura Bunget and Paysage D'hiver, which are more than simply atmospheric. They have a sense of pacing and dynamism similar to post-rock. Sólstafir was doing something similar as back as 1996, too. Hell, even when they're kind of a joke amongst black metal purists for being an un-black band from Norway, Lengsel's debut is also pretty post-blackish, even if it leans more towards the progressive. But then again post-rock and prog have a lot of basic elements in common.

Regardless, I don't think Weakling were famous enough to get ripped off by so many bands from compeltely unrelated places. Seems to me that much like blackgaze, post-black is something that just logically works, and was meant to happen sooner or later, just like once someone was playing punk rock and thought "hey why don't we play a bit faster", the eventual logical conclusion to that (grindcore) was very much inevitable.

I really like the middle of this track, but it could have been more drawn out and developed into something gloomier and spookier.

A lot of those bands are just atmoblack with long ass songs. Some of them do the light->heavy->light thing but with more folky light sections, or more proggy light sections.

compared to the build up during the title track of dead as dreams, it's not very post rocky.

I do agree though that post-black was inevitable. Like I said in my first paragraph of this reply I think a lot of bands were incorporating elements found in post rock into black metal without necessarily being conscious of post-rock. Who knows though, its possible that the Paysage d'Hiver guy was totally into Sigur Ros in the mid-late 90s.

run-of-the-mill pseudogothic overimposed onto itself

Well then this argument is not much else than differing opinions on what this means or what makes that be that, etc-

Anyway, what other albums are similar (and contemporary [that is to say not necessarily from 2000, but not from last year either]) to Dead as Dreams?

WITTR, Agalloch, stuff like that. They usually don't get aggressive like Weakling, but they do the bm-tinged post-rock riff build up thing.

Fleurety's debut is totally post-black, what the fuck
>dat crescendo culminating on blastbeats and ethereal arpeggios + pick slides on Englers Piler Har Ingen Brodd
>dat second half of Hvilelos?
>the entirety of Fragmenter Av En Fremtid

I think early Drudkh could fit in this category too
>inb4 trendy bashing of Drudkh

>there are people who think this b8 is real
literally kys

It might be bait, but at least it generated interesting discussion for once

>all these 'last' bm albums
why don't you all fuck off with your pretentious hipster bullshit, true kings are still there
youtube.com/watch?v=sX7h-w16Z0k

Risking my patrician status here, but this album is what allowed me to get over my disdain for harsh vocals

If it wasn't for Deafheaven I wouldn't have gotten into a lot of other black metal acts or stuff like BTBAM and for that I'm incredibly grateful

Is the joke that this is an image of a faggot or that Black Metal has the most ridiculous typography out of any genre

As much as I liked that album it seemed like a watered down Ordo Ad Chao (their best album post-DMDS), and regardless, it responds to a completely different aesthetic than the one that's being discussed here.

>muh aesthetic

The latter, but to be honest the joke would be more fitting for a goregrind band or something like that.

same desu

i think its that the guitar melodies are so simple and pretty and easy to follow, whereas classic BM has much more dissonant melodies and DM has melodies that can be all over the place rhythmically and sonically

it's a bad joke because the sticks look more like a slam death or deathgrind logo

...yeah? What?

This is ironic, right?

>Black Metal has the most ridiculous typography out of any genre
It does not, just look at some death metal, -core and grind logos, for fuck's sake

Haha can't believe the amount of butthurt in this thread

it sounds more folk influenced anyway, even the most "futuristic" moments. they don't have that essential weak 'post-' faggotry thing going.

this this this

Why would it be?
Well then, see
>Well then this argument is not much else than differing opinions on what this means or what makes that be that, etc-
because I can't hear any folk on MTSK.

Similair story here. Back in 2014 or so, I tried listening to Sunbather, and initially I hated the vocals and "ridiculous" drumming, but after a few days, I started to love the black metal influence and started to wish the shoegazey bits weren't there.

And then I listened to Paysage D'Hiver - Paysage D'Hiver... down the rabbit hole we go..

If they're attractive and get sold to a fan base that doesn't actually listen to any black metal but secretly wants dat eclecticism, they'll have an easy time. Just look at Alcest, Liturgy, and Deafheaven. You have so many people in this thread who have listened to maybe one other black metal album, a scattering of YouTube samples posted on Reddit threads laughing about black metal, and looked at black metal album covers and thought they all looked the same (while unironically hyping indieshit #2749261 and its "super unique style and sound"), but they're convinced that because Pitchfork told them so, Deafheaven must have done something unique. It's really sad.

judging by your chart you haven't listened to anything worthwhile in all of those two years

>the album that saved black metal, pic unrelated

Here it is tho

It's similar to the WITTR logo, a lot of extra lines for aesthetics
Once you notice one the others will become more visible. WITTR is advanced though, most people don't see it until someone points it out for them

I think you meant to post this OP

If this album wasn't critically acclaimed all the trve bm fans would love it

>an image of a faggot
I don't see a faggot in that image

captcha: SUPER CAMPING

Well that's what I thought but it definitely looks like something more is going on.

What are some good modern Black Metal albums?

Try this, Sombres Forêts - La mort du Soleil

I've never been into metal but hey, I understood Odd Future, Weezer, Talking Heads, and Kanye are always considered embarassing eras of Sup Forums... but why Sunbather should be one of those too? What happened? I don't really think it's shitty.

/metal/fags trying to force it because they ditched the embarassing trve kvlt aesthetic.

>I've never been into metal
>I don't really think it's shitty
the fact that this combination of sentiments sums up 99% of their fanbase is why this will be seen as embarrassing later on

learn wildstyle you cunt

You posted the wrong one OP

Literally worse

The album that saved black metal

thats the past week, you melon

the point is that if your taste progressed in two years you wouldn't be listening to embryo-core from 2014 like fucking Crystal Castles

>everyone listens to music the day the album releases and moves on from it
Come on.

Bundle of sticks faggot
That album couldn't even save Liturgy
See pic: The album that ACTUALLY saved black metal

The most hilarious aspect of this thread is that anyone, ever, could consider USBM to be relevant, or even good, nevermind being able to save anything.

you continue to misunderstand. the specific albums you posted are plebby as sin

a fagot is a BUNDLE of sticks for fuel, not just a mess of driftwood, you dumb high schooler

ITT: Sup Forums liked this album at one point so now we all have to hate it out of sheer principle.

It's a good album, stop being such asshat

T O P K E K

It is not a good album

but it is.

People hailed it as the saviour of black metal despite other bands playing a similar style years beforehand
The fans of the album generally not being into metal and most likely not going to bother with exploring the genre or worse, forming a black metal band and bitching about how the other bands should conform to their ideals

No it is not

yes it is

So whats actually wrong with this album?

All I ever get is "hurrrrrr it's so gay"

The portrait is pink and white instead of black and edgy.

>Deafheaven
>Black Metal

Nah man.

It takes what bands like Heretoir, Alcest, Woods of Desolation, etc have been doing for years and copies it but in a really shitty and watered down way

How was New Bermuda?

People tell me it's much better than this.

It's much worse than this.

It's almost like people can have different opinions about the same thing