Where do i start with music production?

With a computer and any Digital Audio Workstation. Watch tutorials on YouTube and make lots of shitty music till it gets good.

OP here
I need lessons/tutorial videos and sites and gear, softer recomendations.
Anything is greatly appreciated

This is easiest and cheapest, also get an interface/mixer (only if you have instruments you wanna record), a cheap midi controller and a decent pair of headphones or monitors.

you look like you're stuck in 1994

just buy a macbook pro, buy logic, buy an interface for that condenser mic you have, and drop them sick ass beats and verses on soundcloud for us to judge.

i'd recommend ableton live (suite: just torrent it)
>get a midi controller
>learn music theory
>produce utter shit for first two years

it's gonna be a bumpy ride OP, but it will pay off since it's so fun. just make sure you don't quit midway, even if it'sunbelievably frustrating sometimes

Its not mine, its just a random pic

what's a decent cheap midi controller?

What about live rocording like bands

midi keyboard? or is controller something else. akai lpk25 is good and cheap

i wouldn't know desu. i made the "mistake" of buying an Ableton Push for my very first midi controller. in retrospect it definitely wasn't the easiest way to get into music production but i love the fucking shit out of my Push, now that I know how to use it properly.

however, if you're choosing a midi controller it also strongly depends on the type of music you want to create. if you're looking to get into hip hop production for example, you definitely gonna need pads instead of keys. there are also midi controllers that feature both, pads and keys.

not op but I'm newish to production and I'm stuck in that utter shit part

>Not producing music like it's 94

why do people hear "music production" and think of shitty electronic music?

Ableton, cry for about a year trying to use it then you're goody

because recording instruments is for losers with no friends who can't make a band so they have to sit in their room and do everything themselves

You really don't need one before you know what the fuck is going on. Learn to produce without hardware then drop the money on it as you see it could help you

wew

you start with about $10-20,000 worth of microphones, an interface, software, and computer.

unlike electronic music

What do when can play guitar, piano, and sing fairly well... and can write good songs and parts for each instrument, understand post-effects (how to sync the tempo on a delay, automated reverb swells, etc.), but still get that swampy, Exile on Mainstreet vibe instead of that really "locked-in" quantized, modern vibe that's more popular now? I love drum machines and stuff, I really admire when a rap song has a little drop and those drums just kick in, but for the life of me I've never been able to combine the natural instrumentation with the synthetic.

Like as hard as I fucking try, I just cannot sequence drums for the life of me, and I know my music suffers as a result, because nobody cares about roots rock. Thing is, my guitar work better suits RnB and I can sing falsetto, I just need to learn how make woozy, trill-sounding trap drums, and add a more modern element to my sound.

I am very comfortable using Logic Pro X, any advice?

you dont. it comes to you

what do you mean "sequence" drums exactly?

if you're not making the sound you want and worrying about if your shit sounds "modern" or not, you've got the wrong idea..call me a hippie but that's just no fun unless you're some corporate shadow producer or some shit.

but if you're really not liking your drums, what's wrong with them? how tf would you incorporate trap drums into "roots rock"?

>buy logic
>buy
looks like you're stuck in 1994

i think this may be the most retarded post of the year
>recording instruments is for losers with no friends who can't make a band

sample drum beats
get a fucking drummer

I just can't get them to line up in a way that doesn't sound corny as fuck. I really just like the woozy trill shit. Anything else sounds awful to me.

Unfortunately I can play just about any instrument under the sun EXCEPT for the drums. It just doesn't work for me. I'm more of a melody guy, an arranger, songwriter, etc.

so even on demos I just can't get the right swing or mood, and often just end up leaving drums out of the equation altogether.

Well, I have no interest in the blues or rawk type stuff. I prefer chimey, Velvet Underground type melancholia, but I still want it to sound like it's being recorded in 2016, ya feel? Think more like The Beatles post-Rubber Soul, where the production is a little different on every song, with lots of layers of effects and instrumentation...

The guitars are probably closer to Meme DeMarco or Real Estate or something, but I don't like the notion of sounding like you're harkening back to a forgotten era. I just use the guitar as a tool create some sort of environment in which these songs can exist. I personally feel the songwriting is pretty timeless but not a throwback by any means.

the only quality unique to recording in 2016 is blasting the fucking signal out the ass then compressing it to stay loud and not do much else...music is going fully fucking wack because of the internet and you can do whatever you want

and btw playing drums would probably not help you shit to produce this "woozy trill shit" you're talking about because you can always hear how obviously it's quantized and made to sound like it was sequenced on a computer

there is a middle-ground to guitar music and this blatantly electronic drum programming just because guitars are so versatile in their sound if you have the right effects you can make it sound like a synth which is what is going to "fit" and sound modern with the drums you're talking about, it just takes the sound design to get to that sweet spot i guess.

>tfw this is me
Jokes on you though, even if I was making electronic music I'd still have no friends to make it with so HA!

this

you can pretty much do whatever now as long as you do it well, just experiment more

don.t

go do something productive

no one wants to hear your shitty trap remixes and you'll never amount to anything nor contribute anything to yourself or society

go learn how to build a table or something out of wood

Yoooo just got a push 2 and its an absolute blast. Had plenty of Ableton experience though, so it was easy to learn. I feel like it's made my music better already.

No. I'm not letting the abstract notion of society dictate what I do. Furthermore, in no way am I inclined to "contribute" to society, others or myself.

kekekek

instrument recorder detected

and?

by becoming a faggy bedroom 'producer' you're literally letting the 'abstract notion of society dictate what you do.'

well what if I have a big bedroom?

don't say i didn't warn you PEACE

Don't fuck yourself up with music theory at first. Just hone your craft by listening to the things you enjoy and pick pieces of it apart to emulate. Then, if you start making decent sounds, you can study music theory to up your game. Just my 2 cents.

i use a tascam 8 track beacause i make nothing but shitty drone/ambient music

What a homosectional

Good riddance

FL Studio Producer Version,
cellphone mic,
bedroom,
20~80 vsts,
Trent Reznor equipment

: acoustic guitar (vst/real guitar)
: reverbs effect/ delay

recorder, preferable an app, for sampling,
ambient records

say no more

nigga what

you can make a studio in a fucking storage unit and still be able to record some decent shit
>homosectional
nice bait m8

learning music theory makes it a LOT easier to know what those bands are doing. even if you just touch on the basics its worth it

>trips unchecked
dear god what has become of this place

You start because you have the will to create.

You want to make X sound so you figure out what tools you need to produce it, and make it happen.

If making beats is what you want, learn some sort of beat sequencing software.

If recording yourself playing guitar is what you want, you will need different equipment, including a microphone, which you don't NEED at all if you just want to sample/sequence.

What are you interested in doing? If you want to actually Become A Producer there's like, school for it.

>school

Well, it depends on the person. For me learning too much concrete data beforehand fucks up my abstract creativity. I realize this is not the case for everyone, but it is for me.

It's pragmatic. It's a job like any other, you get a combination of credentials + experience and shop your resume around and try to do actual work in the field.