Is minor threat worth listening to?

Is minor threat worth listening to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tcNA-I1EJlU
youtube.com/watch?v=GuEc8mZbMYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

I like Punk Rock but Minor Threat is pretty over rated. I think, anyway. It just sounds like every other generic fast paced Hardcore band.

(OP)
yes, they really good

What kinda crack are u smoking? They were fucking great

I find they sound pretty dated, but if you're into that sound you'll probably love it.

Idk I thought they were just a generic as most other bands of the same time.

GUILTY
OF
BEING
WHITE

If you like hardcore at all then yes.

They have a surprising amount of technical skill for a punk band, mostly in their ability to play as cleanly as they do at the ridiculous speeds their songs move at.

Like try to imagine Black Flag or any other hardcore band from their time period playing this track with the same unity and tightness as Minor Threat, let alone without the song completely falling apart.

youtube.com/watch?v=tcNA-I1EJlU

Greg ginn was a great guitar player. Better than minor threat's guitar player. More original as well

yes, listen to the first two 7' or the complete discography it's basically an album's length

youtube.com/watch?v=GuEc8mZbMYA

probably my most played vinyl record

do not listen to this idiot (no offense but your taste is shit)

Why don't you find out for yourself, faggot? Their first EP is so short that it fits on a 7', and you could have easily listened to their first two in then some in the time this thread has been up.

You barely know what my taste is other than the fact I think Minor Threat sounds generic, and they do, it's a fact. Tell me, what is the difference between them and other hardcore bands of the same era? They all have very fast paced instrumentals/vocals with some sort of political undertone in the lyrics.

jesus christ stop posting respect the classics

Minor threat is not political

It tries to make a social statement with the self-deprecating undertones.

Minor Threat had better players, very few political songs, and a huge focus on hooks and sing-a-long choruses that other hardcore bands didn't.

Also the production on all of their records is way better than their contemporaries.

I don't even hate Minor Threat, but I think it's overpraised that's all.

>all hardcore bands from early 80s sound the same

Go listen to bad brains, poison idea, discharge, minor threat, negative approach, and dead kennedys.

If you think those bands "sound the same" your ears are broken.

Also just because a lot of bands emulated minor threats sound doesn't mean minor threat are generic. If anything they were innovators.

You talk to me like I have no idea, I've listened to all of them thoroughly. Bad Brains and Dead kennedy's are unique, Negative Approach is eh and Poison Idea and Discharge are prime examples of what I am speaking about.

literally is your only experience with 80s hardcore from listening to albums on your computer?

I couldn't disagree with you more. Each of those bands have an incredibly distinctive sound. If you can't hear it I don't know what to say.

listen to one song.
you've heard pretty much their whole discography.

I've seen Negative Approach live and a few others, and I pretty much was obsessed with the shit and studied it for a large period of my life, and I respect it because it led me to other music I prefer much more, but it mostly sounds similar in many areas.

No but Fugazi is.

>sounds similar in many areas

Every genre ever. The difference is you just aren't into it as much so you don't have an ear for it.

I used to be obsessed with it as I said.

you're fucking retarded.
Poison Idea and Discharge are in two completley distinctive sub-genres. they sound virtually nothing alike beyond distorted guitars and growling vocals.

Whatever you say.

>go to negative approach show a couple years ago
>venue is packed with fat 40-somethings dressed like teenagers with bad warped tattoos
>song starts
>they start moshing like they're trying to push each other back through time to 1983
>Not your typical hardcore show fun-moshing, but angry-moshing
>15 seconds pass, song ends
>repeat x 25
>sounds like they're just interrupting one long song intermittently and playing it at 20 second intervals
I CAN'T TAKE THIS
PRESSURE
PRESSURE
PRESSURE
PRESSURE
DASGJOAGHADGH;AFDKGADFGDGADG;KAGJFDHGAJDG;ADHFGJ

not my fault you're too deaf to hear the difference between a west coast hardcore band and a uk crust band.

I hear the differences you're talking about but I'm obviously not going to change your opinion so there is no point trying.

you aren't going to change my opinion because you are objectively wrong.

Minor Threat sound generic to you if only because they defined the future sound of american hardcore
before Minor Threat, hardcore sounded like cheeky shit

"objectively wrong" You wish bud.

you are objectively wrong. saying poison idea and discharge sound the same is like saying the kinks and the beatles sound the same. they are the same genre, but completley unique from each other if you actually bothered to listen.

>used to

if you "used to" be into punk music you never really were

if you enjoy hardcore punk then give em a try. I love em

Obviously I don't mean they are exactly the fucking same, and to compare it to the Kinks v.s. the Beatles is asinine. It's not even close to the same considering the formulas in Punk music are not as broad, power chords, grimy guitars, fast speeds, and harsh vocals. I really don't feel like arguing anymore, I respect what you say and I see where you're coming from so let's just part ways and agree to disagree.

I still listen to the shit I am just not into it as much as I was, mainly because of the ideologies attached to it. Still listen to the Dead Kennedys, Urinals, Rudimentary Peni etc... so.

They only have like 30 songs. Go find out for yourself.

Not OP, but I have the CD with all of their music on it and it is fucking fantastic for car rides.

Not the greatest punk band ever but I think they're pretty dope, very danceable at least.

I mean you can listen to their entire recorded catalog in literally less than an hour so you may as well see what the story is with them.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUUUUUU!?

Listening to Minor Threat because you like hardcore is like Pascal's idea that "he interested in western philosophy must start with the bible." Sure it's a bit over-canonical and you don't have to like it, but I'd say it is essential listening for anyone interested in Hardcore. I'd recommend dischord era Government Issue and Void over Minor Threat, as well as DC Iconoclasts No Trend, but I'd say Minor Threat is a good place to start.