noisey.vice.com/blog/misyrming-stream-interview
youtu.be/7OysMNY1SBE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

audiophile approved

dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/20486

youtube.com/watch?v=fxprS6tKQSI

Here is some black metal

the production is half of the reason i love this one

one of the best-mixed albums of the 90s, no fake. shit's clear as a bell. i was teaching kids audio production for awhile and used a couple songs from this album for an exam (which had nothing to do with the mixing or production analysis) and all of them lit-up in wonder at how perfectly mixed it is... so we had to go off-topic for awhile to talk about it.

youtu.be/iZnT_s-n__g

Dunno if this is rock tho. But as far as gigantic mind-numbingly complicated, drawn-out, and long studio productions go, this album is pretty much flawlessly executed. It's a wonder anyone made it out alive, nevermind with such precision. Hundreds and hundreds of tracks per song, sometimes several mixes of hundreds of tracks going at once and being crossfaded between each other, etc.

youtu.be/i4dyWXxebwQ

Ironically, the first rec is the first album I listened to

Also, while dynamic range is one of the important aspects of recording quality, it's far from being the only one.

Not really into black metal, but this is surprisingly well mastered. What is it exactly? Who's to thank for the recording quality?

TFW alt-rock album is mixed better than Mutt Lange singles

Thanks for the rec, much appreciated. Any more? Literally any decade goes

All I know is that these guys are icelandic and this album was released by a label called "Terratur Possessions"

some additional stuff
noisey.vice.com/blog/misyrming-stream-interview

Rec me god-tier rock albums with shit-tier production/mixing please

anything produced by steve albini

GBV—Bee Thousand
Burzum—Filosofem (not god-tier but still)

Really nice, I was hesitant about listening to Gabriel but this is great

Well, this whole album is produced just about as well, and arguably better than any Pink Floyd album. It's 1991 but frankly sounds like it might as well have been 2016 except immune to Loudness War BS. James Guthrie knows how to tickle those decibels perfectly. Also the re-release is staggering as well. I have yet to hear his 5.1 mix (which he spent about 5 years on), but I hear it's pure gold.

youtu.be/7OysMNY1SBE

Amazing. To think it was 25 years ago.

Is other stuff by Jerry Harrison or James Guthrie worth checking?

More recs?

Oh yes gotta check it thanks for reminding me

>vinyl
Cheating.

Oooo yeah this is what I'm talking bout right here, that Rhodes, that bass, them drums so tight. I like using this album to test speakers and headphones.

that

audiophile:
Highway to Hell (the best sounding rock record of all time. try and find a good original vinyl rip - pbthal preferably)
Nevermind (org 032 vinyl rip)
RATM S/T

production:
panopticon
songs for the deaf
houses of the holy
siamese dream
dark side of the moon

thanks

> Highway to Hell
Is Back In Black much different? I couldn't tell much difference in terms of production quality

isis - panopticon
deftones - koi no yokan
the cancer conspiracy - the audio medium
karnivool - sound awake
o.s.i - blood

I've heard people say SFTD has terrible production, but I think it's great.

Yank Crime immediately springs to mind.

ulver - nattens madrigal

trips of truth