/experimental/

Hi pals, this is a thread for experimental music discussion. To clarify: Noise, drone, electroacoustic, free improvisation, futurism, indeterminacy, musique concrete, sound collage, and all that good stuff.

What have you been listening to? What have you been making? Movie and literature recommendations, concert experiences, gear, etc. are all welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E66dVx9LbrA&feature=youtu.be
discogs.com/Kim-Cascone-Andrey-Kiritchenko-Andreas-Berthling-Kotra-Fourfold-Symmetry/release/76294
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKwr4FlHbTJ6s8FijC3NuwJGROlCmXPNN
youtube.com/watch?v=qbvvJw9KIfM
youtube.com/watch?v=sMG0yuRHzHs
youtube.com/watch?v=rSCkOEGkZFU
youtube.com/watch?v=jpaSJ74pDlk
youtube.com/watch?v=5sb4nl0IZiU
soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/so-so-sufferers
archive.org/details/noise-arch?&sort=-downloads&page=5
youtube.com/watch?v=Liwjd0Hdy4Q
clyp.it/nk2khftd
ourexitbag.bandcamp.com
mega.nz/#!3Jh3naAK!_Oo7LcWmHlv2NqD4P4goGs6Lk03PJLxsAVLCJTStW4k
youtube.com/watch?v=yJZkIZ2UGc4
vtimdon.bandcamp.com/album/return-to-the-lantern-curls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How can i get into Merzbow? Just repeated listening is answer?

My friend is trying to get into harsh noise and he asks the same kind of question. I just tell him either it'll click or it won't. Maybe check out other artists as well. If you don't enjoy something, you shouldn't force yourself to listen to it

Can you recommend beginner's Merzbow album?
He has too large discography.

Pulse Demon is his most popular, followed by 1930, Venereology, and perhaps Hybrid Noisebloom. So I'd say go with those. If you want to just have it playing in the background for a good long while I recommend Merzphysics

This guy is fucking nuts!

youtube.com/watch?v=E66dVx9LbrA&feature=youtu.be

what is this

Post-fusion horror core jazz mixed with some dubstep

Anyone have some good 2015/2016 glitch and/or sound collage?

Hybrid Noisebloom or 抜刀隊 With Memorial Gadgets. The latter isn't as harsh but is more dynamic and engaging a listen, I think.

While admittedly experimental, it seems a bit silly

Its not silly its art

I've meant to get more into both genres. I never got too far into glitch past ryoji ikeda...

I just am expressing my opinion. It seems sort satirical/trollish in nature but to each their own

For glitch, listen to Richard Chartier - Direct.Incidental.Consequential, and Fourfold Symmetry, a very good "split" by four musicians from the genre.

discogs.com/Kim-Cascone-Andrey-Kiritchenko-Andreas-Berthling-Kotra-Fourfold-Symmetry/release/76294

I'm still exploring sound collage myself.

I'll give the thread a bump, a single bump.

Why was 80s PE the best PE? I feel like the genre has declined in quality, although we still do get good releases here and there

This will be what I listen to today. What should I expect?

Someone's posted the entirety of Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement's Green Graves up on YouTube

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKwr4FlHbTJ6s8FijC3NuwJGROlCmXPNN

ooh, nice. I love me some RSE, especially pic related

take like ten 5 hour energies
itll click

Alberich and Lussuria's Borgia is up on the same channel as well

And surprise Vatican Shadow new release out of nowhere available the 10th.

youtube.com/watch?v=qbvvJw9KIfM

Dom you absolute madman

this was nice

more pls

On the third to last track now and I'm completely comfortable saying this is the best RSE release yet. Every track is great so far.

Picked up some really cool /noise/ records in Chicago recently - the Hospital split is killer, and I haven't listened to the Mutant Ape album yet but it was just buried in the "electronic" section at a store and I've heard good things, excited to give it a listen

Noise is a poor mans free improv and is exclusively for plebs

How do you see the rubber plant in the future of music? Do you think it could become a major instrument and have a genre defined by it? I see a future in the possibilities.

You guys don't really count Noise Rock in these things do you? While I do listen to some of the stuff you guys mention (mostly just experimental stuff) I never go too extreme with like merzbow or kazumuto endo

plens

who eai here
youtube.com/watch?v=sMG0yuRHzHs

youtube.com/watch?v=rSCkOEGkZFU

Merzbeat is also a good album to start.

Have you heard the new Puce Mary?

i like coughs
idk if they count as /experimental/

Yeah, I love 'em but I wouldn't say they do - that comp's on Hospital though, plus it's got some straight up noise tracks on there, and Vegas Martyrs is yet another Dom project so ayy seemed relevant enough

Fuck you all I'm on a pop binge

I'll return to noise, free improv and memealism when I feel like it

ok

youtube.com/watch?v=jpaSJ74pDlk
DH is best experimental group of the sentury, prove me wrung

Noise rock is still, at its core, rock. So it's abrasive but not super experimental

That's not NWW!

youtube.com/watch?v=5sb4nl0IZiU

Swamp rat

Another useless general

great

>what used to be multiple generals merged into one
>newfags still complaining

fuck off

I can't get over how small Dom is

Thoughts on this album? I'm trying to get into it but it's a bit harder than Ape of Naples.

The sad thing about Sup Forums is that even though there's clearly a decent amount of people here who are keen on more fringe types of music, these threads usually get bumped off the catalogue by more popular threads. Recently on /out/ we've had a field recording thread which has had close to 200 replies. This is the cool thing about slower boards.
It has kinda made me want to start a board on [eight]chan dedicated to this stuff. In fact there is already an [eight]chan board called noise but it suffers fro not enough traffic. I think it could also afford to broaden to more experimental stuff in general.
Is anyone keen on populating the [eight]chan /noise/ board? We can still have experimental generals here and they can also be used to inform other Sup Forumstants of the [eight]chan board. Whaddyareckon?

Anyone here into lowercase or other extremely minimal forms of music where very little happens?

I make ethereal Progressive power electronics or post synth punk

been honing material for my most distant, ambitious release for the past 6 months now.
I recorded over 10 hours with 13 different instruments in arranging this piece alone.

soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/so-so-sufferers

archive.org/details/noise-arch?&sort=-downloads&page=5

30GB+ of obscure noise/spoken word/jazz tapes

Bought the self titled Live Skull album for 4$ from the local record store, any good bands doing anything like this today? I wish I could go back to the avant-noise/no wave scene in the 80s. Shits cash.

Yeah I didn't feel like doing another one for just noise so I broadened it. As for the usefulness of the thread, that's all based on what people post.

I found this baby from BT.HN. on soulseek today. I hadd been looking for it for a while. I love all Sam's projects but this and Ba.Ku. are especially good. Outside The Rita what projects with Sam Mckinlay do you like best?

I like some onkyo and stuff

Also interested in this

Nice find too, I recently got a copy of Bringing home the Bait for 6 dollars, score of the century

I've been here since 2010 and this is legitimately the best homegrown project I've encountered.
Experimental leaves a lot more room for discussion than noise. I'd rather see these than noise threads.
Yeah, what about it? It's shit.

No wave needs to come back, there needs to be a good place to find no wave bands

It might decrease the amount of bad noise projects being posted from clyp.it since they tend to be attracted to noise as a specific, leaving room for more invested people to post their stuff.

Currently listening to Lifting Concrete Lightly by MIMEO. What did y'all think of it? I'm sure y'all've listened.

never really listened to eai but that's cool as shit
Not something i would listen to regularly, but it's conceptually cool and interesting to watch

>soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/so-so-sufferers
HOLY SHIT
not even joking, this is incredible

Are you planning on releasing an album or ep soon?

looking for stuff similar to this, maybe with more variety;
youtube.com/watch?v=Liwjd0Hdy4Q
Really interested in audio collages.

I'm carefully curating my first release as Ornate Exit and that's due later this year.

Here's part of something from that
clyp.it/nk2khftd
I have a few albums I've released under old projects, they're alright, less musical

ourexitbag.bandcamp.com

>soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/so-so-sufferers

incredible. there is actually a legitimate artist on Sup Forums.

i'd download an ep/lp of yours in a heartbeat.

I'm still pretty new to eai and electroacoustic in general. Pic related is my favorite electroacoustic release so far

Fuck yeah! I've been getting heaps into those dotolim concerts. Check out the Dotolim USB compilation. It's on slsk.
I've been getting really into Manfred Werder lately. He does really interesting stuff. Its quite conceptual in many ways.
I should be able to post some cool links to things in 8 hours or so.

link? trying to get into it

Check out Luc Ferrari. I really love his work.
I've done a release which is, I feel, heavily inspired by his stuff. Here's a mega link if you wanna hear it.
mega.nz/#!3Jh3naAK!_Oo7LcWmHlv2NqD4P4goGs6Lk03PJLxsAVLCJTStW4k

That clip is fucking insane

where do i start with nurse with wound? no charts please

I got that on soulseek unfortunately. Great application, I recommend it to all

You guys know any Korean stuff? I'm studying in Seoul for a semester and would love to see some things live/pick up some cool stuff. Only person I know is Okkyung Lee (which is a damn shame because I knew her from Ideologic Organ but now that she opened for Swans everyone'll think I'm a bandwaggoner)

Okay guys.

I want to start making harsh noise with pedals. How in the hell do I connect all that shit? Is there a book? A diagram?

The only gear walkthrough I found was this.
youtube.com/watch?v=yJZkIZ2UGc4

nope, the beauty of it is rigging it up your way! I don't even play guitar but I found working with the pedals to be not too hard. Then again I only have three rn but still

I can't hear it

What does /experimental/ think of my music?
vtimdon.bandcamp.com/album/return-to-the-lantern-curls

I'm listening again and shit this is good. Nice and droney and ambient too, for fans of that. And at over 4 hours of music you'll have a lot to explore. Super solid

Dotolim! Look up this venue. I mentioned it in a post above and another user posted a video. They've got a tonne of YouTube videos of their shows. Report back to /experimental/ if you go to a show. I'd like to hear about it.

no point charging 3.50 for an album, you'll get a lot more publicity if you just make it choose your price or whatever it's called on bandcamp

dug the bit around 22:30 - 23:30 ish

I think a little more movement with dynamics would make it more compelling but that's because at heart i'm a post-rock kiddie with a short attention span

Oh I think I listened to some of your last release. I like the textures you're working with on the new release for sure. It has a pretty eerie vibe to it and it's very atmospheric. I find the descriptions for your music to be a bit bombastic and self-indulgent but I see the point and merit in wanting to really explain and advocate for something you're proud of

Yeah I second the making it free thing. I make all my stuff free and I have had people give me money when they don't have to. I just think doing that helps disseminate your work

Also could this be mixed any louder? Admittedly I'm listening to it on laptop speakers and the a/c is on but I find it slightly hard to hear at times

try Homotopy to Marie

Neat, gave them a like on facebook and will lurk through their stuff later. Cheers!

Yeah the whole point of that release was it to be a constant although there are some gradual rises and falls here and there.

My first release was originally pay what you want but that didn't really go too far so I set it to a dollar. I'm trying out a slightly higher price now, maybe a bit too high.

Yeah the descriptions over exaggerate it a bit. I tend to do that

Which one? First album or second album?

second one. Again it's probably the a/c thing

I'm curious as to what constitute "good" bandcamp stats as far as listens and downloads...especially for /experimental/ stuff

Gonna listen to this soon. How good is it?

Also how is Jason Lescalleet so based?

I'd say "chance encounter...", personally

Name a more based noise single

Yeah, it could be because I mixed it with the intention for it to be heard on headphones. I haven't actually tried it on speakers yet. But it should be fine on that too, so it's probably the a/c

I honestly have no clue, in general experimental stuff gets a decent number of listens but not many downloads so

Interesting album, kind of disturbing at points but overall not too bad

How's the rhythm wolf? I've been lookin into getting one of those - was worried the sounds might be too limited.

Does space age pop count as /experimental/? If not, could I have some EAI, noise, etc. that utilizes some of its sensibilities?

Honestly it probably is too limited for your intents and purposes. I do mainly noise so I'm not super picky about that kind of thing personally (other noise folks might be picky about it, I'm just saying I'm not). I like it because it's really fucking easy to use and really fun. Like a total amateur can be making beats in like 5 minutes. So moral of the story it depends what you're using it for, how experienced you are with drum machines, and what additional equipment you have. For instance, I will sometimes run the rhythm wolf through the distortion pedals and that can create some pretty awesome sounds. If you can morph the sounds, are new to drum machines, and/or aren't super particular then I'd recommend it

That looks neat af. I'd def listen to your noise if you have a sc page, or a bandcamp.

Has anyone listened to Earnest Rubbish? I was looking forward to its release, but I never found a link.

all the troniks b-cards, but that one is cool too

I just might have to pick one up with some cheap pedals - I really liked that growl and built in distortion on those. Was considering basing my entire sound off of them for the next project.

Shit I've never even heard of that genre. Despite being notoriously unexperimental, I find a lot of interesting types of pop out there. City pop, for instance, I had not heard of until especia's carta came out so I'm always finding and being pleasantly surprised by new styles of pop music. I too am interested in taking some of pop's more optimistic sensibilities and applying them to experimental. I find some interesting things here and there that have some brighter, almost hopeful qualities

I spy with my little eye

a tiddy

City pop like Taeko Ohnuki is pretty great, but space age pop is more focused on the use of early synths and such