Discuss

Discuss

>pitchfork.com/news/65894-president-obama-declares-june-2016-african-american-music-appreciation-month/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IST6qRfVqwY
youtube.com/watch?v=PVNtHCnPUZw
whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/05/31/presidential-proclamation-lgbt-pride-month-2016
youtube.com/watch?v=V0pNjmrOuqk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Look how hip I am

is african american music appreciation just a sub genre of black history month

>mfw this is real

Too bad there hasn't been anything worthwhile in like 30 years

I thought I was going to get trolled and then I wasn't.

But I still kind of was.

So hip-hop, jazz, RnB, blues... that's it?

if you clicked it, you lost

Rock is an african american inspired genre. So basically every significant genre of music in the last 70 years was inspired by african american music.

Rock, funk, disco, house, techno

>Nicki Minaj, Chance the Rapper, Kendrick Lamar and Pusha T
fuck this. it's a retarded idea to begin with, but they aren't even going to address significant contributions to music by black people. (electric) blues, jazz, RnB, soul, but i guess not because people are too big of fucking morons to recognize those rather than shitty hip-hop

>African-American music appreciation month
But thats a non-stop 24/7 365 dogma of p4k.

And in other news he also ordered a drone attack on a Somalian wedding killing 200 people

>So basically every significant genre of music in the last 70 years was inspired by african american music.
>implying rock accounts for every significant genre in the last 70 years
wew

Jazz is not representative of America but instead is a negro product, exploited by the Jews.

Well I've always thought I should listen to more jazz and blues.

Unless those genres are now considered white people music because no one but white people listens to them now. That's what this girl, a white girl, told me in uni once when I tried to convince her I wasn't racist because I disliked rap music. She said I couldn't hang out with her unless I proved I listened to more rap music, which supposedly is true black music. I stopped hanging out with her.

>house
Isn't that shit made by Swedish people tho???

The month kids are getting out of school and aren't going to be taught about the historical side of black music.

Any summer month is literally the worst time for any kind of history month.

In the south there's still a sizable and "raw" or "authentic" black blues fanbase, but it is true at this point most blues music (especially the classics) are bought by a primarily white audience.

Wow obama your so hip and with it

If you read it they've sorted the whole "what's black music and what ain't" mumbo-jumo by saying they'll celebrate music made by black people.

Anyways, this is daft and I can only assume is an intentional ploy for the minority vote. It's pretty irrelevant.

Anyways, might as well make this thread interesting. Post best black people songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=IST6qRfVqwY

>Anyways, this is daft and I can only assume is an intentional ploy for the minority vote
Obama has no more elections.

what a fucking joke

all bad genres

IF

So do i get a holiday or not?

>The full text of the proclamation calls African-American music “among the most innovative and powerful art the world has ever known.”
Oh fucking come on.

I just meant for the Democrats in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=PVNtHCnPUZw

One of my favorites

But modern African american music is largely bad. It should have been "African Music Appreciation Month", since African Traditional music is actually good

All racists

would be more interesting if he'd said african instead of african-american

this media-stage pseudo-event triggers me. What about White Music Month?

all me

holy shit you're so right though
like African drum music is legitimately the most important "discovery" of the 20th century

Sup Forums on suicide watch

racist too, fucking neonazi

>What about White Music Month?

I imagine the usual answer to this question would be the same answer they give to, "What about White History Month?": It's already every other month HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAH YOUR A RACER

There shouldn't be any race specific music month, just fucking enjoy music no matter who makes it desu

we wuz rockstars

What about Inuit music month? What about our classic songs such as "aaaayyyyOOoooOoorrrAaaAAAh" and "YuuuUUuUUuoooOOOoaaaaAAAAaeEEaHhAiAUoR"?

I thought he already made it LGBT pride month

whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/05/31/presidential-proclamation-lgbt-pride-month-2016

The two-party system is almost over

yep. the only reason Obama said "african-american" instead is to indulge in the usual murrican ego-stroking. nothing to see here

Also, he's got to give himself a legacy. Any last minute things he can do to make himself look good he will.

It's apparently mental illness month too, right?

>"Okay, maybe this will bring attention to some of the early foundations of rock and-"
>Just mentions shitty nigger trap and pop
Don't know what I expected

Am i black yet

Did the man who invented college go to college?

depends... did you order your dashiki yet?

Most of these are incredibly lame.

Are you being facetious? Traditional African Folk is fantastic, much much better than any "African American music"

honestly the only part of that album where I was like "Okay Kendrick... cool it.. I get it" is Rapsody's verse on Complexion.

Wait, is this just this June or all Junes?

truly one of the greatest presidents of all time

Just 2016.
I'm significantly less triggered now.

Have we all had our hepatitis checks lads?

>inspired by african american music

which was stolen from the Irish slaves in the colonies in the 1400s

Gira is fucked, they're now gonna accuse him of being racist too for releasing his record this month.

Man you guys are pathetic

Awful.

>disco,

nope that was Morodor/Kraftwerk inspired

>house, techno

nope that was Kraftwerk inspired

Why?

Kys, or go back to Sup Forums. Whichever one is easier for you.

Just this whole discussing. It's a thinly veiled complain about racial politics in america disguised as a music thread.

That's every fuckin' month.

>kraftwerk invented synths in music

Who literally gives a shit except Sup Forumstards. sage.

This is literally because of totally arbitrary attribution of every derivative of rock music to having influence in Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley when they matter-of-factly do not.

I'm not being racist, but coloureds have contributed nothing to music, and should stop raping our women.

your a dorable

d'angelo, kendrick lamar, kamasi washington, the list goes on...

Basically

African Americans have been making the best music for the past 20 years.

Good idea tbqh

Don't forget guys, black people invented everything. Punk, Post-rock, Emo, Hardcore and Krautrock are all black inventions since they sprouted from blues! However, blues itself did not need influences since black people have magic powers. Black culture exists in vacuum!

Did you know that thousands of years ago, black people were able to create stargates in order to travel to different universes? Did you know that Socrates, Aristotle and Plato were actually black? Yes they were!

So I'm actually OK with this now that I know it's just for this month of this year, and not a recurring thing like Black History Month.

My concern was that if it was going to be recurring it should be SIGNIFICANTLY more than just African-American music, especially when African music is just as important in music history (particularly recent music history).

But just for this month? Awesome idea honestly.

I think that this board being hijacked and taken over by outright anti-black racists would be a positive improvement over the pitchfork-core worshipping idiots that inhabit the board right now.

Obama has made race relations the worst they've been since the 60's.
He needs to shut the fuck up.

Rock as a whole is a black musical genre, and just because whites like Elvis appropriated it doesn't make it white.
It's not my fault you don't know music history.

I don't really see that, it looks to be mostly about music.

I don't know, I just don't really like "African American music", nor do I think music should be labeled with a race. I think, if anything, they should have called it "African Music month"

All this does is grant unneeded and unwarranted merit to hip hop imo, and I say that as a black person
>inb4 you're not really black

I don't think those guys like anything other than p4k core either. Also racists tend not to like things made by anyone who isn't white, so expect the board's taste to get even narrower.

How does having a single month dedicated to African American music have a negative effect.
>nor do I think music should be labeled with a race.
I mean you're just factually wrong because music and race/ethnicity are intertwined.

WE

Yeah, seriously. It's not like african american music hasn't dominated the popular music scene for the past century. African americans have already shown that they're good at making music, this isn't news to really anybody and designating a month to it seems rather pointless. Calling attention to world music that most americans don't listen to would be pretty cool though, but I guess that just isn't patriotic enough for a presidential proclamation...

has he left the whitehouse yet?

that's the only news about him that matters now, everything else is attention whoring on his part

>I mean you're just factually wrong because music and race/ethnicity are intertwined.
Why? It doesn't need to. Music is a part of culture, yes, but it needn't be exclusive in the way labeling makes it seem

Have you ever heard of the LA riots?

>Why? It doesn't need to.
Because music is a reflection of the culture...
The whole reason most White music prior to the Renaissance was in triple meter was because of the Holy Trinity. It's a reflection of the culture's values.

Clearly not lol

and culture and race aren't the same thing

but of course americans wouldn't understand that

I don't see why that means, in 2016 at least, music needs to be labeled as "African American"

>everything else is attention whoring on his part

That's all Obama does, dude. (Besides exceed his office's constitutional limits and concern troll.)

Don't be a pedant, they're near enough the same.
Because it's a reflection of African-American values/culture, which itself is a reflection of traditional African culture.

Obama's done a decent job regarding the circumstances. Though in the end he's pretty much an establishment figurehead, as all presidents have been for a while now.

I think racial tension has been amplified by social media, as incendiary and divisive content is more likely to go viral. That's why clear-cut cases of police brutality barely get any attention. Controversy sells. Divide people into two opposing camps and exploit resentment. Eventually the original event becomes completely irrelevant, it's all about identity and tribalism.

only an american, citizen of a nation with neither race nor culture, would think them the same

No, a person who has studied music history and knows that European culture is predominantly white and that African culture is predominantly black.

But I'm sure you know a lot, kid.

>they're near enough the same
They really aren't. Race is biological, exclusive. Culture is anything but that

>Because it's a reflection of African-American values/culture, which itself is a reflection of traditional African culture.
In what way is modern hip hop, r&b, etc. a reflection of African American values/culture

>No, a person who has studied music history and knows that European culture is predominantly white and that African culture is predominantly black
I bet that took a lot of figuring out

it's not even right and using "black" and "white" as racial nomers at this level of the discussion is doing nothing but pointing out one's own ignorance of the topic.

what are you bumbing for Obama, Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=V0pNjmrOuqk