Rateyourmusic (RYM) and Sonemic Thread

Reminder that most ambient/drone musicians are hacks using 50 year old ideas and pretending they are new.

rateyourmusic.com/~boldfaure

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~Ewert
rateyourmusic.com/~detcgb
rateyourmusic.com/~Shamepai
rateyourmusic.com/~machaerus
rateyourmusic.com/~blebbio
rateyourmusic.com/~underr
rateyourmusic.com/~santosmalandros
rateyourmusic.com/~goldfall
rateyourmusic.com/~SonoShak
rateyourmusic.com/~JackAnderson94
rateyourmusic.com/~EtInArcadiaEgo
rateyourmusic.com/~randomforest
rateyourmusic.com/~nothingandnowhere
youtube.com/watch?v=wTgRg68wjko
youtube.com/watch?v=-EII7zzwzOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_42QFD6zy7g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Turns out harsh noise CAN be enjoyable

rateyourmusic.com/~Ewert

kys

community mod euthanasia program when

correct yourself: most ambient and drone *that you've heard*

let's make that very clear

Stupid question
How do I mark as unrated?

I didn't know the 90s were 50 years old...

You're right, that is a stupid question.

rateyourmusic.com/~detcgb

dude midi trumpets are fuckin boundary pushing

stfu with the stupid shit you call people out for you fucking loser

You think you're in any position to criticise somebody else's taste in music? You're defective, lol.

dude not understanding what makes TAW great LMAO
you dissed Montie though so I can't hate you

rateyourmusic.com/~Shamepai

>being this mad

Liturgy is shite

enjoyment should always come before understanding

I mean I enjoy the way it sounds.
I don't understand people's problem with the trumpets desu, sounds fine.
Better than some of the instruments on R+7.
It's chill you have good 5*'s and dissed Montie. We'll just disagree.

BoldFaure what do you think of xus and where is xus right now

I liked him before I realized that he was just listening to classical music in the background for comfiness and wasn't actually taking it seriously in the slightest

I remember him saying he went to AMG/Discogs

you can't always want comfiness from music and xus and i had a conversation about this two weeks ago, and he agreed with me.

Are you gonna answer it?

just go to zero stars and that's unrated

Is metal the most reliable embryo filter?

All embryos and hipsters hate metal unless it's boring atmshot like Deafheaven and Isis or stonder and doom shit like Boris and Sleep.

Hello!

>lel u le mad xd
>u mad broe lol

>just go to zero
How do I do that?
I don't get it

rateyourmusic.com/~blebbio

rateyourmusic.com/~underr

Trying to add a V/A release, it's confusing af

death to false dmshareguy

rating music decreases your natural ability to appreciate and enjoy it
rateyourmusic.com/~santosmalandros

I thought like you but rating music is fine IF YOU'RE FITTING THE RATING DESCRIPTION AND NOT THE NUMBER

like if you're saying "This is a Good Album" instead of "This is a 3.5/5" then rating is fine

rateyourmusic.com/~goldfall

What is this guy's problem?

too many drugs + holdover from the teamspeak era. oh how time flies.

proof that having 10,000+ ratings can't save you from having bland as fuck taste also his reviews are all hilariously bad, i can't tell if he's being serious or not

yeah thats true to a degree but even then i really dont believe in trying to fit music in categories. music is very fluid, to such an extent that trying to really put it in any category is restrictive. and ones perceptions or feelings about an album can vary heavily over time depending on a myriad of other bullshit.
so best case scenario is you realize your ratings will never be accurate and that rym has no use but to affect some image on to random strangers (so why even keep using it?) or in the worst case your get trolled into thinking of albums in terms of numbers and become an unbearable formulaic music nerd

>Finally getting into anime avatars
I chuckled

No you're just being an idiot now

You're telling me you never listened to an album and said "This is good!" or "This is great!" or "This is AOTY!"

no i have, but ive also realized that i dont hold those same views after like two weeks so whats the point in even rating anything, other than to affect some image on to random strangers.
i mean its not bad to have favorite albums or anything but it seems weird to me to really try and quantify 'favoriteness' of stuff in the fashion rym encourages

What was his previous account?

>but ive also realized that i dont hold those same views after like two weeks
Then you're a newfag who hasn't listened to much music.
Not our fault.

I haven't figured it out yet, it's harder now with the OT gone and all. most likely he deleted his previous account too. noiseofheaven? alyosha_says_go? who knows.

ohhhhh right it was boldfaure who was talking bollocks about Tim Hecker yesterday

makes sense

this is why i don't use all the rating slots

make the gaps between ratings so large that only significant realizations / changes of heart will change an album's rating

>yesterday
was I drunk or something what are you talking about

lightworks

huh maybe it wasn't you afterall

who is the worst RYM user and why is it marsbars

alyosha_says_go is Articunofan1989 now, I'm pretty sure of that

haha
lmao
lol...

same approach i had for a while but eventually i genuinely asked myself "why do i even use rym" and i couldnt come up with an answer that wasnt incredibly vain

i use rym because i have a shit memory and listen to too many albums in too short of a time span, so it tells me what i liked for specific things (subgenre i don't think about that much, best of a specific year, etc) or even names of artists who made singles i liked or names of foreign artists with difficult names, because i forget that shit too. my digital library is too unorganized and shitty and patchy to be useful. ever since getting a lightweight college laptop i've been streaming a lot, or deleting files after listening.

if RYM was a downloadable program that i could use completely privately, i would definitely use that instead of hosting my shit online.

This guy hits the nail on the head pretty well for me personally

plus I have a big group of IRL friends that actively listen to music, so it's cool keeping up with them and seeing what they've been getting into lately

yeah these are fair enough answers. i still catalog everything i listen to without rating because they ruined last.fm and even vaguerating became too much for me. i guess its mostly just the real annoying image obsessed nerds and skewed view of music that rym seems to give birth to and enable that bothers me

t. constant chart thread poster

rateyourmusic.com/~SonoShak

Your taste is shit and you should just drown yourself right now

heh you caught me
chart threads are just my outlet to shitpost and talk to people i only post a chart so the janitors dont delete my posts

Will do man.
Thanks for the tip!

Doubt I do it for the image, my taste is particularly undiscerning.

Wish I could make my shit private ( like actually private so urls dont work)

I get 100 pages views a day and it bugs me

e-celeb detected

どんなRYMerは私と一緒に日本語を練習しませんか?夏休みが来たから、日本語のパートナーが欲しいよ。今上手じゃないけど毎日勉強したほうがいい。一緒に日本語で音楽を話しましょう〜

俄Weeaboosが返信してはいけません。

What did he mean by this?

I'd agree with you that the RYM community mainstream metal taste is obnoxious. I'd disagree with you in calling Sleep shit

>deleting files after listening
delet yourself

rateyourmusic.com/~JackAnderson94

rateyourmusic.com/~EtInArcadiaEgo

>haha
>lmao
>lol...
No but seriously, if you change your opinions that readily then you don't know shit about music.
How old are you? 15?

who are the worst weeaboos on RYM?

Me

rateyourmusic.com/~randomforest

which ambient/drone musicians are offering their music as 'new'??

any niwakas (people linking MAL accounts with under 50 days watched LOL)

not OP but Roly Porter and Paul Jebanasam are two notables examples from this year.

The less anime watched the better though

people who have seen a small amount of anime but plaster anime pics everywhere and act obsessed with it are the worst though

those are the people you see in cringe videos because they want to show off anime shit irl instead of just hiding in the basement

heheh
hooooh boy

He was. He's 19 now. How does it feel

there's no way he's 19, i'm 19 and i've always been like two or three years older than that embryo

>tfw you literally get pussy for your avant-cred

Or, you can stop damaging your brain's ability to hold consistent preferences using mind-altering substances

go to bed, tankpit.

Embryo started in 1969 though

>tankpit
>avant-cred

I couldn't find an official press release from the label for the roly porter album, but the other one's blurb on the label site has no mention of it being musically 'new' - just a really amateurish 'exploration' of philosophical and scientific concepts that have no bearing on this type of music.

the best use i've gotten out of my avant cred is writing all of my english essays about rational ecstasy and how 4'33 and that mekas movie make you realize the beauty of life etc.. and getting near-dicksucking level praise from my qt teacher

so you people just name arbitrary users you dislike when it comes to these "go to bed" posts, right? because tankpit is a fucking joke and has literally no credibility

am I being meme'd or are just a prick

No I picked him because of that one pic of him with the Asian chicks

This happened, btw

Oh wow, 19! So mature!
Literally confirms everything I thought about him.

tfw i used the gilles deleuze quote... in two different classes

teachers love it and it's an easy citation when you need a certain number of them ;-)

Astigmata pls go

also, i've based an essay entirely on the society of the spectacle even though i haven't actually read it.

>be guy in his 20's disparaging some teenager on Sup Forums for deciding he has better uses of his time than to rate music

You must be a real prize

why haven't you rated anything in like a year tho? too busy with school?

i'm not astigmata

oops, my bad.

Rate. What. You. Hear.

now why on earth would i want to go and do something like that?

same

im not 19 until next year

lol

why

explain this >

You know I am.
Good retort.

rateyourmusic.com/~nothingandnowhere

youtube.com/watch?v=wTgRg68wjko

i'm literally not wearing clothes rn

youtube.com/watch?v=-EII7zzwzOQ

youtube.com/watch?v=_42QFD6zy7g