The Hip

I am 25 years old, love The Hip, never seen them in concert. The Hip is one of a handful of bands that both me and my parents enjoy, so I tried to get them tickets for their anniversary. Immediately after the onsale countdown I started searching for tickets and 15 seconds into the loading screen I knew it was over.

All news sources seem to suggest that tickets sold out in less than a minute, I've seen estimates as low as 3 seconds.

I'd just like to thank the tactful, compassionate users over at stubhub who decided to capitalize on Gord's illness for making The Hip's (probably) final tour inaccessible to fans.

TLDR; general Hip / stubhub hate thread

Other urls found in this thread:

bostonglobe.com/business/2016/03/07/bruins-declare-war-ticket-scalpers/SwJ1MU5dHOdkJqRJaD00YN/story.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I meant general hip thread or stubhub hate thread, not Hip hate, but whatever, it's Sup Forums, feel free to come in here and hate on them if you please

>$200+ shekels to see a milquetoast Canadian rawk band in an arena setting

I'd pay that price for 2 tickets

Tried getting tickets for my dad for father's day, they sold out the second they went up.

Fucking bullshit, apparently they're going to televise their final show though.

Literally internet scalper company.
I can't wait til all concert tickets are the same price as plane tickets
The beauty of free markets

That's awesome to hear about their final show, I'll be sure to catch it on tv.

200 bucks a ticket still isn't too bad. They had a fan club presage earlier in the week and tickets from that were being scalped for something retarded like 2500 a pop

missed one

lmfao that's absolute dogshit
$200 would be justified if it was in a better venue and smaller
its a fucking arena

>200 bucks a ticket still isn't too bad

Maybe in comparison, but most people don't have that kind of money to spend on tickets, especially if you want to go with another person, let alone a few friends

An edit to this post, I don't know much about buying tickets online, this was my first time, but it seems the venue (ACC) is to blame for allowing tickets to be sold to a third party market like stubhub, so I guess my beef is with them.

it just keeps getting worse by the second

They have bots that snap up thousands of tickets the second they go on sale.

These arena shows are such a crock, the entire procedure is completely stacked against average buyers.

>listening to music with your parents
>ever

I really have no problem with musicians charging what they want to charge, venues doing the same and both making as many or as few tickets available as they want. What I do have a problem with is the average consumer seeing these prices and expecting to be able to go online and pay that price and receive a ticket only to find that it was all a sham. They never had a chance of getting that ticket or paying that price.

In short, expectation: ticketmaster ticket between $59-$166 CDN

reality: stubhub ticket from $268 CDN

>being this edgy
good music is good music, do you have a grudge against your parents because they didn't get you the latest iphone or something?

>never growing up and ridding yourself of angst
>ever

what the fuck are you on about with free markets? we don't even have free markets, and even if we did it wouldn't really have any effect on this issue because its a supply and demand issue. lots of people want something, theres a limited amount and not enough for everyone, so the people who have tickets make the price high because people will buy them at that price. and why would all concert tickets be like plane tickets in a free market? if it really was too expensive for people to handle and no one was buying the tickets from their website, someone will make a cheaper and better option so that people will buy them instead of no one making money because theyre pirced too high. and if people are buying it at that price then sucks to be you, you should probably make more money for your expensive habits

I was going to contest this, but you're right. While I think price gouging is unethical, it really is the fault of all of the people buying tickets from stubhub. The best way to stop shitty practices is to stop throwing your money at them.

correct. ethics isnt the fault of a market its the fault of being a human being.

In my current state of mind I wouldn't consider anyone buying tickets from stubhub a human being.

Maybe a human being a giant asshole.

well then you would be lying to yourself. are you also telling me that if you made enough money in a year that 600 dollars means piss to you that you wouldn't have bought a ticket?

Okay, then why half-ass it with a third party scalper market? If they're the true determiners of ticket value what purpose does ticketmaster as it currently exists serve? Just do away with it entirely and put every individual ticket for sale in an auction format. That way scalpers wouldn't be able to buy tickets at a price that makes it profitable for them to scam the system.

Not lying to myself, just not being as literal as you seem to believe. No, I would not have bought a ticket, as I would not support this practice. Even if I were rich, it would still be obvious to me that The Hip should have sold tickets through different channels, perhaps directly so that more of their fans would have a chance to see them.

Wouldn't scalpers just outbid everyone and then jack up the price anyway? Buying the ticket just above the last price a fan was willing to pay for it and then selling it for slightly more still leaves room for profit. And, as always, eager fans who otherwise wouldn't have paid that price but are now hyped to see their favourite band and see that the show has sold out will cough up a little more to do so.

lol 613 is our area code too

>people actually defend this because “muh phree market”

If people want the tickets that badly they'd outbid the scalpers. Eventually it'd reach a point where the scalpers can't make a profit because the ceiling is being determined by the buyer right then and there.

Or fuck, just go back to how it used to be and make tickets available only by in person at purchases. It won't stop scalping but at least you don't have some algorithm buying out half the arena the microsecond tickets are available.

ha, cant say i'd pick up the tickets for $416 or $647 either

I'd wager that people would want something more after being told it's unattainable. I miss buying tickets in person.

>purportedly the price is lower than one that would be set by a truly ““““free”””” market
>ergo, it is entirely reasonable and expected for a third party having nothing to do intrinsically with the artist – fan relationship to immediately buy all the tickets and sell it at an arbitr‐ I mean, err, ““““fair”””” price

literally can’t wait until we line these people up against walls and shoot them again

OP here, going to take a nap since I only got an hour and a half of sleep so I could wake up early enough to not get tickets. Hope someone out there who isn't a bot or scalper got tickets so that they can go see Gord kick ass one last time.

To all Hip fans, thanks for supporting them through the years, truly a unique and amazing band. Gord is one of the few singers I've ever felt to be exceptional.

yeah but clearly they don't care about their poorest fans being able to see them otherwise they would have done something about it. and if you would buy a ticket from them if you had the cash off stubhub then youre part of the problem you're complaining about.

i'm not saying i like the current ticket purchasing formats we have. i'm just saying they're there for a reason that isn't because of free markets that we don't even have. its because people continue to buy those tickets from those services at that price. if people didn't want it then they wouldn't buy the tickets, and if no one buys the tickets because of the service then bands would find another way to sell tickets because not enough people came to the show. i think ticketmaster and stubhub suck ass for the record.
>why half ass it?
because they don't care- they sold it all out in a minute so it really doesn't matter to them.

we don't have free markets, and we especially don't have them when it comes to the buying and selling of tickets. do i think this bands ticket is worth 600? not at all but that that's the value since thats what people pay.

I have seen venues/bands cancel tickets before and I think they need to do it here. They are capable of going through sale records to determine who the bots/bulk horders are. That's fucking ridiculous.

i wasnt arguing that the hip cared, i merely stated what i think they should have done, and if you had read my post i specifically said i wouldnt buy a ticket from stub hub even though i can afford it because fuck them

>but that that's the value since thats what people pay.
This is only true if they sell out every ticket at that price.

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say here. “lol I don’t like it either bro but Adam Smith made it that way so what can we do XD”

Are you trying to defend these companies?

i would love to see that happen, i agree that this shits outrageous

It's possible:
bostonglobe.com/business/2016/03/07/bruins-declare-war-ticket-scalpers/SwJ1MU5dHOdkJqRJaD00YN/story.html
>The team announced Monday that it has canceled the accounts of nearly 200 high-volume ticket resellers located outside New England and New York, after identifying them in an analysis of its sales data. The 1,000 season tickets freed up by the move will go to some of the 10,000 fans on a waiting list for season tickets, Bruins executives said.

he probably read atlas shrugged and thinks he's a world-class economist now

>paying 250+ to hear a song about New Orleans sinking written and preformed by a bunch of Canadians.

Yeah, have fun buddy.

im getting a justice boner

My local venue tried to sell tickets themselves instead of going through Ticketmaster.

The site had completely crashed 10 minutes before the tickets went on sale, and when it finally went back online half an hour later, they were all sold out.

Welp.

I'm not too upset because I've gotten to see them a couple times before (they're great!), but it really sucks that their farewell tour will be attended by the richest people who have a passing interest rather than their most dedicated fans.

Fans need to organize fast and reach out to the band directly

what would you pay to go see? i'll assume that if you can't provide an example that it says something about your insecurity and/or poor taste in music

>their farewell tour will be attended by the richest people who have a passing interest rather than their most dedicated fans

this exactly

He'd probably rather go see kanye rap about kanye rapping about kanye

Scalpers deserve to be holocausted.

>hear Radiohead are doing a couple of Madison Square Garden shows
>tickets are only $80
>I try to buy a couple the morning they go on sale
>whenever I try to buy them ticketmaster won't load
>keep trying again and again
>they sell out
>go onto stubhub
>the lowest priced ticket is $250+
>go onto craigslist