I'm fucking tired of all the hate Nevermind gets. People act like Cobain deliberately sold out punk...

I'm fucking tired of all the hate Nevermind gets. People act like Cobain deliberately sold out punk, opened the gate to nu-metal, pop-punk and butt-rock, and that he gets praise soleley because he did an hero at the height of his fame.

For starters, Nevermind was never even intended to sell. The success of Smells Like Teen Spirit came as a surprise for everyone. If Sonic Youth didn't help "discover" Nirvana by dragging them to DGC, the story of the album could have been very different. Moreover, its polished radio sound was largely defined by Butch Vig—Cobain was against using overdubs and wanted a raw, "punk" recording; in the end he disliked and disowned the production of the record.

I should remind you that musically, nothing in the mainstream at the time was even close to what Nirvana did. Sure, Pixies, Vaselines, Mudhoney, and Butthole Surfers heavily influenced Cobain; but these were indie bands hardly anyone outside the indie "scene" knew of. He was inspired to combine his influences into his own thing and put up really good songs that combined the grit of grunge with melodies of indie pop. Most of the songs on Nevermind are contradictory/sarcastic and have pretty abstract meanings, Cobain's view of people and life around him; however, some of them were inspired by his exhausting relationship and subsequent breakup with his girlfriend Toby Vail (see Drain You and Lounge Act). On A Plain and Something in the Way are really personal, and Polly is one of the most emotional and dramatic songs from the '90s.

And still people shit on Nirvana, put it at the same category as Green Day, Linkin Park and so on, despite the band has been approved by literally every critic on Earth and defined the music for years to come. It's trendy to hate Nirvana; people would rather remember that Cobain sympathized with riot grrls and gays, as an overhyped teen idol for normies. What's your problem, people?

tl;dr

I live in WA and my favorite thing to do is insult Kurt to all the locals to see who gets offended

didn't geffen think it was only going to be about as successful as goo or something like that?
and that come as you are would be the best chance at a hit?

People shit on one of the best and albums of the '90s

tl;dr

Nirvana is still shit though

If Kurt Cobain is only acclaimed today because he died at the height of his fame, than why isn't Shannon Hoon one of the codified rock god legends the way Cobain is?

Nirvana haters status:
[x] TOLD
[] NOT TOLD

Absolutely true. Not surprisingly, since Sonic Youth fucked up Goo and subsequently managed to fuck up Dirty which sold 300,000 measly copies.

Picrelated if from SY video of Dirty Boots (). They "hyped" Nirvana in their own video before Nevermind

It's by no fault of the album or band themselves but Nirvana's just been so overplayed it's almost impossible to listen to Nevermind without feeling like a greatest hits. It's happened with loads of other bands too - it's borderline impossible to listen to Born to Be Wild as it was originally intended - and again, is no fault of the art or the artist.

>Putting Bad Brains and Nirvana in the same picture, even mentioning them in the same breath
Disgusting. Nirvana sucks.

>tl;dr

>Nirvana is still shit though

I'm trying to argue with people who can't bother to read two paragraphs.

Bleach was average as it was forced by Sub Pop to sound like grunge. Nevermind was the most influential album of the last 25 years. In Utero was Cobain's most personal and ultimately best album. The rest of EPs and unreleased stuff are all great too.

Nothing you wrote changes the fact that it's mediocre as fuck though. It sounds nothing at all like the bands in your "what I got" section, and still sounds more like your "what I expected" section.

Seriously? Comparing Bad Brains s/t to this? Comparing fucking My War to this? Maybe you would have had a point if this was Bleach. Why? Because of occasional noisy bits like Drain You's? Fuck that.

>Nevermind was the most influential album of the last 25 years.
topkek. It's not even the most influential rock album of the last 25 years.

Rock and roll is the devils music

>its polished radio sound was largely defined by Butch Vig—Cobain was against using overdubs and wanted a raw, "punk" recording; in the end he disliked and disowned the production of the record.
>I should remind you that musically, nothing in the mainstream at the time was even close to what Nirvana did. Sure, Pixies, Vaselines, Mudhoney, and Butthole Surfers heavily influenced Cobain; but these were indie bands hardly anyone outside the indie "scene" knew of.
none of this has any bearing on the qaulity of the record
>combined the grit of grunge with melodies of indie pop.
yeah, I'll give you this, but that's hardly groundbreaking
>people would rather remember that Cobain sympathized with riot grrls and gays
there is literally nothing wrong with this, most people agree with this

to be honest, I've seen much shitting on Nevermind, just that it's overrated, which it is when you compare it to the legacy of the dozens of artists who inspired this record have gone completely ignored.

i hated nevermind until i actually listened to it

i still don't really care for it after the first half, but that first half is immaculate

All the records are taken from Cobain's 50 favorite albums list from his diary. I felt they needed to be there to show that Nirvana was not so much "grunge" like Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains as punk or even indie pop on Nevermind and Hormoaning EP.

Face it—you're just being punk contrarians. If Nirvana wasn't popular and had only cult status, you'd pray on it every day and use it in arguments with normies. Nothing worse than pretentious punk poseurs.

*not seen much shitting on nevermind

nirvana is not punk

nothing about nirvana is punk. They were on mtv and worshipped by your parents since the 90s

so sad that he had lots of teens do suicide to follow him, they had to put things on the tv to stop kids from suiciding.

Yep, I pretty much agree. I had to overcome the same barriers listening to Led Zep, Rush and so on.

Oh really? Enlighten me, which ones were then, in your opinion or objectively.

>Nevermind
>Punk
wat

I bet you think Is This It is a good album.

The Strokes - Is This It is the most influential rock album of the past 25 years, much more influential than Nevermind.

I've never seen a statement so baseless

How is thinking the single greatest band in hardcore is better than this overplayed trash pretentious? I hate Nirvana because I hate Nirvana, because Kurt's 'lyricism' was a bunch of sadboy bullshit. Lay off the buzzwords.

He appreciated Bad Brains? Wonderful, most everyone should. Just because their s/t was one of his favorite albums does not legitimize or defend Nirvana. They suck ass.

>Nevermind was the most influential album of the last 25 years
Nirvana is still shit

good call

what exactly did it influence

not bad for a first attempt at same fagging but fuck you anyway

Do you let Julian Casablancas shit in your mouth every night before bed or were you just born clinically retarded?

>If Nirvana wasn't popular and had only cult status, you'd pray on it every day and use it in arguments with normies. Nothing worse than pretentious punk poseurs.
and you've just lost any credibility you might have had before

>none of this has any bearing on the qaulity of the record
I mean that people overlook the fact that they were the first band to bring alternative to mainstream success. They paved the way which other acts went. Labels would simply not invest into someone like Nirvana until Nevermind came.

> just that it's overrated, which it is when you compare it to the legacy of the dozens of artists who inspired this record have gone completely ignored.

I think the popularity and the hype of the artist ultimately doesn't matter that much from today's perspective. Substance is what matters now. What pisses me off is that people think Nirvana had no substance. They discard their work simply because it was too popular.

Here isn't me. Most Sup Forumscore albums have more of a lasting influence on the actual sound of modern rock than Nevermind still does and most Sup Forumscore is only marginally younger than Nevermind.

You see, that's what I was talking about. Your argument is that they were bad because they were popular. All when Cobain rejected his fame quite fiercely. He made In Utero to go away from it. Then did an hero because personal issues, you might even imply because of his fame.

And you still blame it all on Cobain, not on MTV, NME and the whole media. Like he whored his way to the top and enjoyed every minute of it. What's your logic, even?

>Substance is what matters now.
That's why T1P are the biggest indie group today.

>They discard their work simply because it was too popular.

>tries to make them popular again

cobain did not reject fame you retard

he wanted to be famous since he was young, why the hell do you think he went on mtv and snl? You think he an heroed because of the fame you are blue pilled

if he wanted to be a punk band he would have stayed underground not perform at huge festivals and such

Nevermind only sold well because Kurt Cobain was really, really hot.

If Krist Novoselic had been Nirvana's singer, Nevermind would be an indie rock album.

At the end of the day though, it's pretty average for saying it's supposed to be the defining Alt Rock album. I mean, I would rather listen to any of the albums on the "what I got" side of that picture more than I'd want to listen to Nevermind.

It's a well-written album that takes a lot of cues from its influences, I like what it tries to do but the production does hurt it and whether Kurt et al. regret that doesn't change it. I get that you feel like people are deliberately being contrarian and there definitely is an element of snobbery when it comes to discussing this but that doesn't change the fact that some people feel it's over-produced or watered down.

Hahahaha oh wow

It was influential, for the first part of 2000s. But comparing it to Nevermind? You do realize that without Nirvana it might not even have happened, right?

This too, I failed to mention it

Hotter than Corgan, Shields and the rest of the industry for sure

Have you even listened to In Utero? "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" for example? "All Apologies"? How much more clear could he have been?

You do realize major label bands have contract obligations? He was on MTV wearing a dress, fooling around and making jokes about it his fame all the same.

Cobain just wanted to play music he liked. What he complained about the most in his suicide note was that he stopped getting a kick out of it. Most probably what killed him was his heroin abuse.

I mean, in retrospective, the hype doesn't matter all that much. Except for people who are concerned their parents might have listened to their music sometime in the past.

Making album popular through Sup Forums? Yeah right

keep denying the ultimate fact that kurt cobain wanted to be famous and wanted to be a rockstar

just go ask the locals in seattle. they all know about him

Yeah, I completely agree with what you said. However, in my post I mentioned that the production indeed clashes with the album. That said, it might have been a necessary key to its success, and I think its positive sides outweigh its negative sides by far.

You're just labeling your opponents as poseurs and fabricating the fact that people are "trying" or "pretending" to dislike them. There's plenty to dislike about Nirvana.

im just tired of people obssessing over Kurt as a genius. I mean, I have no problems with him as a person, because I like what music he liked and he seemed cool when he wasnt on drugs or purposefully propping up the typical grunge attitude. but calling someone a "genius" has lost all meaning these days when its used on the most basic of artists.
Nirvana's music streamlined post punk, thats cool and all, but nothing revolutionary. and while Im not faulting Kurt and co for doing that (because Im sure they were making the music they wanted) everyone else like you just dicksucks their work and puts it on this pedestal like its the modern fucking Mozart. with Nevermind the music is good, great even, but its nothing amazing, doesn't offer anything musically inventive, and its certainly not, like 15 on 500 greatest albums of all time (like seriously, god damn Rolling Stone)

Sure, just let me take a plane real quick. But I'll take your word for it, that's how arguments work after all—points are proven with anecdotes, right?

i mean, if you watch that new Nirvana documentary, Montage of Heck, it kinda touches on Kurt wanting that rockstardom. but that doesnt necessarily contradict him wanting to do his own thing and getting tired of the fame when he got a taste of it

all im saying is that if you hate fame that much and hate all the famous rock stars you dont go on mtv and saturday night live and the mtv music awards

thats the same thing as going up there today with bieber

In all fairness, that whole list is awful
>5 U2 albums
>2 Green Day albums
>no zappa
>no King Crimson
>no the fall
>1 beefheart and it's the obligatory one

You're totally right, OP. This sub just hates it because it's popular.

In Utero is still better, though.

are you a psychopath

Not "defining", but it opened the doors for the genre to the mainstream.

Nowadays, yeah, I don't deny it—I've listened to Nevermind enough times. But I can't deny it changed rock music for better.

Name 1-2 things, except Cobain's bandmates and overexposure on MTV and magazines.

Actually I agree, but I see not that many people thinking he was a genius.

He most certainly wasn't. He wrote great melodies—that's for sure. But ultimately, he picked music he liked, and tried to immitate it. That was kinda it. Well, his blend of Pixies with grunge was somewhat unique, but alt-rock has literally hundreds of such combinations.

How did simpler riffs like smells like teen spirit help rock and roll? Rock and roll after that died

I agree, but 1) no one listened to In Utero 2) I thought Sup Forums relied on opinions of critics, not MTV.

My personal faves are the Hormoning and B-sides/rarities like Dive, Verse Chorus Verse and Sappy.

Oh look, its another "le cobain never wanted to be famous xddd" meme

Look you little shit: Cobain's goal was ALWAYS tobe popular as shit, Grohl mentions it in his fucking autobio: The image of nirvana being so "anti mainstream" and "humble" was literally forced on them by their manager and the studio, he always wanted to sell a fuckload of copies.

Nevermind was no exception, nobody was fucking surprised about the album becoming a hit, nobody invests MILLIONS on producing an album and says "lol this shit wont sell a single copy", you're buying into the meme that Nirvana never saw (or wanted) success comming.

Which is why hating on nirvana feels so good. Its a bad-average band at best but hating on them is cool because of retarded fanboys like you who treat both the band and cobain as the 2nd comming, the best thing since sliced bread, and how cobain was a martyr who never sought fame.

Fuck off with that bullshit pal

They watered down their influences sounds.
None of their compositions are very interesting, just catchy.

ITT: Another nirvana fanboy tries to pretend kurt cobain invented guitars and music itself

Nevermind is an absolutely beloved album outside of Sup Forums so this isn't a problem.

Alternative opinions of the album are good because outside of Sup Forums it's nothing but how supposedly awesome Cobain was.

For me, personally, the album is moderately okay and is a 6/10

This.

I looked at it several weeks ago. Muh 60s: the list. No King Crimson. No Deep Purple. No Yes. No Rush. Of course no ITAOTS. What are we even talking about again…

>i hated nevermind until i actually listened to it

your a dorable

eh i like it whatever

>No Yes. No Rush
I spent way to long reading this.

I wish Kurt Cobain would've did more solo acoustic stuff, songs like Do Re Mi just strike hard for me

see I see not that many people thinking he was a genius.

He most certainly wasn't. He wrote great melodies—that's for sure. But ultimately, he picked music he liked, and tried to immitate it. That was kinda it. Well, his blend of Pixies with grunge was somewhat unique, but alt-rock has literally hundreds of such combinations.

Nevermind wasn't bad and it paved way for the whole genre to mainstream. That's all I'm saying

Totally agree, user

It's too bad that normies have begun to cling to Nirvana because of Kurt for some reason.

I chuckled.

and you're the same guy saying he didnt had a huge boner for stardom and fame?

no hes not me

justin bieber really is the kurt cobain of today

underrated on Sup Forums
overrated elsewhere
/thread

Yep.

Explain to me

1) why the fuck would you watch Grohl's autobio
2) why what you say contradicts everything said on Wikipedia
3) why would Cobain make In Utero, a deliberately off-putting album with abrasive sound
4) when i claimed that Cobain was a genius exactly

Justin is leagues above Kurt

>Nevermind was the most influential album of the last 25 years

can you list some bands whose sound takes after it?

Yeah I actually agree.

It's just that people insanely praise Nirvana for its hype, and insanely hate it also for its hype.

1- Because I like Grohl as both a person and a musician and I like to watch/read bios on influential figures?

2- What exactly does wikipedia says? Also, you do realize, like I just fucking said, that these claims are mostly memetic/come from sources that bought into the "he hates fame" meme"?
Like, you got the testimony of a guy who spent years next to him and then the testimony of a random rolling stone writer who says he hated fame, at the same time he writes cobain in a "top 10 best guitarrist ever" list

3- Except that a fuckload, fuckload of people, normies included, love in utero, as with anything made by nirvana. Do you think that normies fucking think about "ABRASSIVE SOUNDS" and other technical aspects of music production? They dont give a shit, they only want something that they like the sound of, get the fuck out of here if you think most people would give a shit or even know what "abrassive sound" means

Pretty much every alt-rock act from 1991 onward had the same sound, including Smashing Pumpkins, The Dismemberment Plan and Radiohead, among many others. Not that many bands changed it so radically until The Strokes and White Stripes.

normies love nirvana

in nyc all i see are girls wearing nirvana shirts because there xDD so awesome!

Half of his lyrics were unintelligible meaningless mumblings. He was quite vehement against making statements in his music. Just shows people will hear whatever they want and present it as truth.

Exactly.

And this guy comes over saying some shit that kurt hated fame because he wrote in utero, when in utero is one of the most fucking lauded albums of nirvana

>1- Because I like Grohl as both a person and a musician and I like to watch/read bios on influential figures?
Liking Grohl?! Fuck, who am I even arguing with? I'm going to read the rest of your comment just out of interest

2-
>"Smells Like Teen Spirit" was not expected to be a hit, for it was merely intended to be the base-building alternative rock cut from the album. It was anticipated that the follow-up single "Come as You Are" would be the song that could cross over to mainstream formats. However, campus radio and modern rock radio stations picked up on the track, and placed it on heavy rotation. Danny Goldberg of Nirvana's management firm Gold Mountain later admitted that "none of us heard it as a crossover song, but the public heard it and it was instantaneous [. . .] They heard it on alternative radio, and then they rushed out like lemmings to buy it."[25] The video received its world premiere on MTV's late-night alternative rock program 120 Minutes, and proved so popular that the channel began to air it during its regular daytime rotation.[26] MTV added the video to its "Buzz Bin" selection in October, where it stayed until mid-December. By the end of the year, the song, its accompanying video, and the Nevermind album had become hits. Both the song and Nevermind became a rare cross-format phenomenon, reaching all the major rock radio formats including modern rock, hard rock, album rock, and college radio.[27]

3—so it makes it bad? Also, normies like In Utero? First time hearing about this.

I explained 20 times already that it was MTV hype

Girls wear Swans T-shirts, Sonic Youth t-shirts, and all other kinds of different T-shirts, so it automatically means Nirvana is bad? So, in essence, in your opinion, a popular band always equals bad band?

what do you have against dave grohl? kurt loved his drumming and even kissed him when he heard his early demos

mind you kurt didnt even write the number one song that made him famous

I'm fucking tired of all the hate Nevermind gets. People act like Cobain deliberately sold out punk, opened the gate to nu-metal, pop-punk and butt-rock, and that he gets praise soleley because he did an hero at the height of his fame.

For starters, Nevermind was never even intended to sell. The success of Smells Like Teen Spirit came as a surprise for everyone. If Sonic Youth didn't help "discover" Nirvana by dragging them to DGC, the story of the album could have been very different. Moreover, its polished radio sound was largely defined by Butch Vig—Cobain was against using overdubs and wanted a raw, "punk" recording; in the end he disliked and disowned the production of the record.

I should remind you that musically, nothing in the mainstream at the time was even close to what Nirvana did. Sure, Pixies, Vaselines, Mudhoney, and Butthole Surfers heavily influenced Cobain; but these were indie bands hardly anyone outside the indie "scene" knew of. He was inspired to combine his influences into his own thing and put up really good songs that combined the grit of grunge with melodies of indie pop. Most of the songs on Nevermind are contradictory/sarcastic and have pretty abstract meanings, Cobain's view of people and life around him; however, some of them were inspired by his exhausting relationship and subsequent breakup with his girlfriend Toby Vail (see Drain You and Lounge Act). On A Plain and Something in the Way are really personal, and Polly is one of the most emotional and dramatic songs from the '90s.

And still people shit on Nirvana, put it at the same category as Green Day, Linkin Park and so on, despite the band has been approved by literally every critic on Earth and defined the music for years to come. It's trendy to hate Nirvana; people would rather remember that Cobain sympathized with riot grrls and gays, as an overhyped teen idol for normies. What's your problem, people?

Most lauded how? Critically yes. It sold far less than Nevermind though. It also has Scentless Apprentice on it, which might be the rawest mainstream rock release ever.

the most mainstream bands always have wierd plagaism/spiritual things

>beatles
>led zeppelin
>hendrix

they all are related to spirits and or plagarism

Well, maybe, just maybe, because all of his work past Nirvana is worthless shit? I thought it was a unanimous opinion on Sup Forums.

He should have stayed a drummer.

>Buying into that shit story

Sure son, they just wasted a fuckload of money in producing an album they never thought would be good and popular.

I can understand that the mainstream media would put the song on late night schedules (because nirvana wasnt THAT popular back then) but the band itself always fucking thought they would be popular as hell. The manager saying that crap is simply him fortifying the "hates fame" myth.

Also, boi, At the beginning the royalties for the songs were even, but cobain went full jew on everyone and demanded higher royalties because "he made most of the work", they almost broke up the band until an agreement where cobain received 75% OF THE FUCKING SONG ROYALTIES

And you still fucking think he was all humble and hated fame and money?

Also

"Upon release, In Utero entered the Billboard 200 chart at number one and received critical acclaim as a drastic departure from Nevermind. The record has been certified five times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, and has sold 15 million copies worldwide.[2]"

Upon release, In Utero entered the Billboard 200 chart at number one and received critical acclaim as a drastic departure from Nevermind. The record has been certified five times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, and has sold 15 million copies worldwide.[2]

yeah normies did fucking loved in utero, dumbass

cant really say anythingg about the dismemberment plan, but smashing pumpkins and radiohead sounded nothing like Nirvana or anything on Nevermind. their earlier sound was more regular alt rock, i guess, but they seemed to be more influenced by shoegaze than other bands. plus smashing pumpkins had a heavier guitar sound

Radiohead definitely inspired on some songs on Pablo Honey, there also was that British rock influence though. And 100% stole the look.

kurt didnt think his demos were shit

everlong was a good song i liked it

the women like the rape me song and liked his pro gay attitude. he even said men should be taught not to rape

he has more in common with tumblr today than regular men

>no you don't get it it's shit ON PURPOSE

i hate radio head the lead singer called jim morrison fat ugly and dead

i can get sounding different on purpose but SHIT on purpose?

making horrible music on purpose? You can go yodel on the street horribly and that would be the equivilant

Relax dude, I'm not even going to read all of that. Everyone here with a brain knows that Nirvana was a great band, the slander it gets is mostly a joke.

Sources please. So far I see Cobain split everything evenly.

Also,

> The contract signing with DGC sometime around April 30, 1991 certainly made life a lot more comfortable. The band described speculation about the size of their advance as “journalism through hearsay…The numbers kept getting bigger so that a lot of people believed that we were signing for a million dollars.” The amount they actually signed for, an advance of $287,000 split between the three of them and spread over two albums, was certainly a huge step up on their previous situation but, on the other hand, hardly immeasurable wealth; circa $95,700 each. The money was also whittled down by the 20-25% that had to go to their management company amid other expenditures including a group accountant from the firm Voldal-Wartelle & Co. In terms of the benefit to Sub Pop, there was a payment of $75,000 made, but an equally useful stream of secured revenue via two percent on Nevermind’s sales and then on Incesticide’s.

foo fighters are ok. if Im in the mood for some mainstream alt rock, ill listen to their greatest hits.
They arent really that far off from what Weezer is, except Weezer has Pinkerton.

Not the guy you're quoting but

"In March 1992, Cobain sought to reorganize the group's songwriting royalties (which to this point had been split equally) so that they were more representative of the fact that he wrote the majority of the music. Grohl and Novoselic did not object to Cobain's request, but when the frontman asked for the agreement to be retroactive to the release of Nevermind, the disagreements between the two sides came close to breaking up the band. After a week of tension, Cobain ended up receiving a retroactive share of 75 percent of the royalties, and bad feelings about the situation remained within the group afterward"

Azerrad, 1994. p. 257–58

I can sympathize with OP but everyone knows Nirvana is just Mudhoney for pussies.

everybody here got his nirvana phase, the "haters" just grew out of it, wanna feel edgy, then bitch on this board

no the "haters"

realize that he was like every other rockstar maybe worse because he did magic and abandoned his daughter