Fantano?

I was told Sup Forums hated the needle drop, aka Anthony fantano, and I wanna know if that's true, if so... Why? I've seen many of his vids, and though I may not always agree with him, I never found anything to really hate.
What's your guys thoughts?

Sup Forums hates everything

I personally don't have a strong opinion for him but I find his videos entertaining because he covers the shit I listen to and usually has some interesting input.
I think people on Sup Forums are just more vocal about shit they hate

The best argument(among all the non-arguments I see) is that he has the taste of the average Sup Forums poster, so there isn't that much to gain from him. I'd disagree, considering that all you see in Sup Forums is shitposting the same albums and really short descriptions as to why people like or hate an album.

I guess one thing that must really annoy people is how he uses synesthetic terms to describe sound (AKA "dreamy creamy neosoul").

If someone knows any better internet critics, maybe talk about them?

i like his teeth

A lot of people here like him actually, which is why others hate him.

I think most people here lowkey like him.

It is obvious that he posts here, or at least browses

He's just a guy with an opinion like everyone else here.

he's basically one of the few non autistic Sup Forumstants

ELECTRO

Right, but like most things, he has been redefined by lame people who make everything a meme.

It's just a meme bro!

Everything here that has a following/is liked by people will have vocal haters, some of whom just do it for the keks while others are serious about it. We will never know which category some posts fall into,

how has he been redefined?

Fantano is as bad as Pitchfork and rates based off of social trends just like Pitchfork.
I also think he rates too much music too high.

i have to work for a living and he makes money talking in front of a camera

Not 100% redefined, all I mean is that, he will always be associated with those kinds of people who feel the need to make nothing out of anything, regardless of what it's worth (to others).

Not picking a fight with these people, just an observation.

A lot of people do. Get with the program.

no

He's okay but sometimes I find his interpretations of stuff way off base as if he gave an album 1 spin while browsing the internet and then just sort of comments on the parts he remembers. I've only watched a few of his videos, though.

Neither am I just legitimately wanted you to elaborate. thanks btw

He's pretty cool. I'm not interested in music reviews but enjoy his podcast and some of his other bullshit.

he usually gets some interesting people on his podcast

No problem.

My personal beef with him is that while I guess he's good for people that have a similar taste as him, he's pretty awful as a critic. A true critic is one who looks at the piece s/he's critiquing from a view that's beyond the personal emotional high. Any person can feel that from any piece of art however good or bad it actually is.

Fantano, like other critics, not only reviews thing prematurely unless it's a long beast like recent Swans albums, but also lets his personal tastes and biases affect his reviews.

I guess I am just disillusioned by music critics that have existed since rock/pop criticism became a thing.

I don't mind the guy honestly. Even though I don't agree with everything he says it's cool to hear the opinion of someone else on a lot of the music I like. Also it's clear he actually listens to the albums he reviews several times.

jesus christ
fuck off montie

I like the idea of a music review channel, but I don't really like his style I guess.
>Le wacky stupid humor (Chuchesta) and random jumpcuts
>Unintuitive rating system
>Doesn't review older albums as much as I would like
>Refuses to let the vinyl meme die

>I guess one thing that must really annoy people is how he uses synesthetic terms to describe sound (AKA "dreamy creamy neosoul").
This is my main issue. It's all very surface level and like he's just listing off a bunch of adjectives.

he does say that all his reviews are opinion though

>Lets his personal tastes and biases affect his reviews

How the fuck else are you supposed to review something?

Yeah, and that's fine. That's why I said he's probably great for people with a similar taste to his.

Is that really something that people don't get? I've always thought of music in terms like the ones he's used.

Again, my personal beef. Nothing necessarily wrong with him, but I am more interested in what critics should be imo (critical analysis) rather than personal review.

>Le wacky stupid humor and random jumpcuts
>Unintuitive rating system
>Doesn't review older stuff as much as I would like

Thats pretty much a lot of online reviewers nowadays, not just of music

Boy, you must hate watching the news

only young people or teens post fantano videos.. you can tell a person is from reddit if they get into it as well. fantano is a fucking mutant with a camera and I reckon most of Sup Forums doesnt get into his bullshit, he's a fucking idiot and should only stick to what he is good at and that is punk/post rock etc. music "reviewer" my ass

I use to like him but Im finding myself disagreeing with him more and more and Im starting to think he s a bit biased. he destroys the flume album but the death grip's has bangers? fuck off.

but an unbiased critical analysis isn't a review because it's fundamentally non-judgemental.

A critic, in some form or another, will always reveal in their review on whether they liked the product or not and sometimes will make a side note for fans of the genre/artist.

A pure critical analysis does not do that because it is "analyzing" the inner workings, not "reviewing" its overall quality (which will always contain some sense of subjectivity to it).