Why does this album get shit on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iREBWmDsM-g
youtube.com/watch?v=8_EAdZRzoNM
youtube.com/watch?v=cbhIb1u3LJk
youtube.com/watch?v=NYmkJXIdLvg
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's not bad, just kind of corny and dated. Hard to hear any artists today who it's influenced that are relevant.

it's good but not amazing. there are many more interesting bands from that era

because it's extremely corny and idiotic buttrock
just look at that fucking album cover, it speaks for itself

I like that album alright - as for why it gets shit on - It could be because it was one of the major albums that helped spawned the alt-rock/grunge meme ...but that's just my guess really ... no fucking clue why anyone would outright h8 on it

>buttrock
kill yourself

>spouting memes

Nice post

it is buttrock. it's got more in common with guns and roses and creed than it does with sonic youth or the melvins.

good songs but very dated production. Vs. up until Riot Act contains their best work imo

What the fuck is buttrock

>guns and roses
>buttrock
kill yourself retard

I don't know. People say it's datet, but they have to realize that this album is 25 years old. It still sound better than 99% of all music

coz pearl jam is popular and this place goes nuts with rage over anything popular
its fucking nothing, jamĀ“s dadrock/indie if anything

To be fair, hair metal was the genre that was associated with the term 'butt rock' before Creed and Nickelback came along.

there are plenty of 25 year old albums that don't sound 'dated'.

Popular and influential band's most popular and influential album.

>using the term buttrock
>ever

Stuff like pearl jam, creed, nickelback, audioslave.

Gnr aren't hair metal though

>praised everywhere by normies who think nirvana saved music from synthpop and hair metal
It's mostly just Sup Forums shitting on it.

I'm assuming that includes daughtry too
I think I understand

This album, along with Nevermind and Dirt, inspired about two decades worth of pure shit "Post-Grunge" music whose artists all stole from the "big 4" of Grunge for years and years.

So to you clueless fucks who proclaim this album to be cheesy and dated you're only saying that because you've had to endure a childhood where the mentally retarded offspring of this album roamed free and frolicked in the mainstream and by default this album just reminds you of it.

If you care to listen to the Brendan O'Brien re-mix/master of the album you'll hear something that doesn't sound dated or corny at all AND when looked at in context (i.e. an album from 1991) was actually very fresh.

It's fun but a little same-y. However, Jeremy is the best song Pearl Jam ever wrote.

>Stuff like pearl jam, creed, nickelback, audioslave.
>including pearl jam with those bands
This says so much about you and so little about any of those bands.

>b-but... the re-mix is good! i swear!!
Trying too hard m8

Best album of the big 4.

Fuck everyone who says they weren't 'grunge' enough, goddamn kurt cobain parroting twats.

-you- are trying too hard.

Point being that the only thing dated or "corny" about the album is the glossy mastering that was put onto the album in post-production.

The re-mix went back to the master tapes and just kept the natural sound the band had in the studio.

But you probably don't know shit about how albums are recorded and just like to call things you're unfamiliar with buttrock so I'm not surprised if you still aren't convinced dumbfuck.

but it's just not that great. by far the worst band of big 4 grunge

Look I have no problem with differing opinions m8 but if you're going to post a counterpoint then actually HAVE a POINT and not just say "But actually you're just wrong because muh personal opinion"

>Not great
>Worst of big four

Whose the other three?

test

Big 4 of Grunge = Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains and Soundgarden.

Successful.

>first post
>dubs
Normally I would tell you to leave while you can but them digits don't lie. Welcome aboard faggot

Ten > Dirt > Batmotorfinger > Nevermind

Test posts are usually ban evasion posts.

People actually get banned?

Yes. Mods are sensitive little fairies these days.

You're kidding, right?

You mean Sup Forums doesn't have any.

>implying things like composition, time signature, instrumentation, singing, lyrical and thematic content, tone and context are affected by mixing

No I didn't imply that. I directly said that the mastering was the only corny thing about the album.

And while you may disagree you have to live with the fact that you're a dumbass for your post.

>No I didn't imply that.
So doesn't that confirm that mixing had nothing to do with it, and that it actually is corny by association with the copycats?

Personally I find the grating voice and edgy texts (fucking Jeremy) to be the primary cause of corniness. There's this impression that they try really hard to be big and grand, but it comes out as bombastic and exaggerated instead.

because of the Jeremy video. the Christ stains lost there minds on this one.

It's a great album and one of the 90s milestones. imho their best, even over vitalogy. Hard to sound cool when mentioning it in your listenings then the hate it get in this tryhard weaboo polinesian sudoku image board. The mastering is bad.

fuck off pearl jam are goat

you sound like you have some sort of complex and dont enjoy anything remotely manly, eddie vedder has one of THE best voices in rock, to disagree is literally being a try hard contrarian

>grating voice
He has a very "safe" voice. Not saying you can't dislike it but calling it "grating" puts you in a very small minority.

>edgy texts (fucking Jeremy)
How is it edgy? How come everyone to criticize this band in this thread needs to use meme buzzwords? Maybe a kid Eddie knew in high school killed himself and he felt inspired to write a song about it. Holy shit so edgy!!!

Sounds like every criticism just stems from a misconception you have about the band which probably stems from the fact that they influenced a lot of shitty Post Grunge bands.

because it's not as good as this.

It's arena rock with some post-glam metal elements disguised as grunge. The constant guitar solos, the overemotional, shouted vocals and the booming drums are just some of the identifiers. Also you have a ballad in between. All these songs work extremely well in a stadium setting.

I once liked the album but after listening to much more music since I recognize it for what it is. Extremely manufactured, safe and dated rock music.

yes they are you retard

>implying Nevermind is Nirvana's best album
You have to be joking, right?

I think he's comparing the most popular albums from each band.

Ahh yeah, possibly. Even so, surely it'd be better to compare their best albums, if you're comparing the bands.

>itt: arguing with children who think shitting on a classic if dated grunge album will make them look interesting and unique

There are two things that will never stop being fun, shitting on Pearl Jam and Final Fantasy VII

same reason pink floyd's dsotm and the wall get shit on. popular albums by great artists are not liked here, unless it is nig hop.

Anyone who thinks Pearl Jam are Grunge are literally retarded.

literally factually incorrect

your personal reclassification doesn't overrule the classification issued by music history

user, don't you know that you can't make music expressing any type of message or emotion other than happiness or sadness without being edgy or pretentious?

Its an amazing album tho

FPBP

corny is a great way to describe ten.

The best example would be this.

goddamn, look at the ass on Vedder

you know who else has novelty accounts? Reddit. you should go there they'd love you

don't worry. the summer will end and these people will go away. it's a rough time of year for Sup Forums.

Also, a few things. Anyone who argues that this album has aged well is living a lie. For its time, it was a perfectly fine album. Nothing special.

But it has aged like moldy food left in the fridge.
Especially the song Jeremy.

Learn what Grunge is you fucking kumquat

>muh in utero

you're the retard m8

GN'R were hard rock. Just because they had the hair metal look in the very early days doesn't make them a hair metal band. They sound completely different to the likes of Poison and Cinderella.

If GN'R are hair metal then so are Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin etc.

Eddie Vedder's ass on the cover >>>>>>>>>> every argument in this thread

DADDEEEEE DIDN'T GIVE ATTENTION

Because people only see the grunge era for two things, Kurt Cobain's suicide and the beginning of a dark era known as post-grunge. As a huge fan of the grunge era, this band is incredibly top tier and like a previous poster said, most people who hate this band only hate them because of bands that ripped them off like Creed and Seether etc etc, actually listen to some Pearl Jam or STP or Soundgarden albums, they're actually really interesting and much deeper

like here, some examples of their non overplayed stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=iREBWmDsM-g

youtube.com/watch?v=8_EAdZRzoNM

youtube.com/watch?v=cbhIb1u3LJk

youtube.com/watch?v=NYmkJXIdLvg

As much as people credit grunge for killing hair metal, bands like GN'R and Metallica were already in the process of killing it off. You had bands like Skid Row already abandoning the glam look by the time alt rock blew up. The genre was already on it's death bed by the time Kurt and co came along. They just shoveled the last mound of dirt on its grave.

GNR sound exactly like Poison and Cinderella and all those hair metal bands, they were just embarrassingly late to the game and get lumped in with the rest of the early 90s Rock bands.

You haven't got a clue m8

Reflexive contrarianism.

Nevermind destroys In Utero. Nevermind's poppier sound is what saves it. In Utero is responsible for the Stainds of the world.

i fucking laughed.
jeremy is a great piece. who gives a fuck about the lyrics when you have one of the rock goat bass lick of all time right in front your face

I can't unsee it

jesus that ass

Soundgarden > AIC > Pearl Jam > Nirvana

Wrahwuh can't dream amble...

I'd go

AIC > PJ > Soundgarden > STP > Nirvana

this, god fuck staind

Ten as a hole is great

ranking the big four of grunge are we

for me it goes, from best to worst

>Alice in Chains
>Nirvana
>Soundgarden
>Pearl Jam

that's not Eddie, that's Stone.

I will never understand how people place Nirvana higher than literally any of the others.

If you've heard more than just Black Hole Sun and Spoonman, I don't know how you can possibly have this opinion.

I'm a huge grunge fan, I've listened to all of the albums of all the major bands and a good amount of the less popular ones. I love Soundgarden, I just think that Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam still outdo them.

Is "Ten" the only Pearl Jam album worth listening to?

no. vitalogy is vital

check out Vs. if you liked the sound of Ten
I'd recommend Yield and Riot Act too, but they sound a bit different.
Vitalogy is great too.

nigga, that's clearly Eddie

Stuff you'll always hear on radio stations that play
>NOTHING BUT ROCK
So Creed, Pearl Jam, Nickleback, Foo Fighters etc.

Whoops, meant for

Because it's a fucking Pearl Jam album that's why

you talkin that ass poppin' out at the far right?

quite an edgemaster we've got here

Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Pearl Jam