/jazz/

All jazz goes here
What is the person appeal of jazz music to you?
What jazz album made it click for you?
What is your absolute favourite jazz release and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w7IqaFifJeI
youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_H9FYZy4E
youtube.com/watch?v=TeMr4SQtWGo
youtube.com/watch?v=BIeGrOo6JDk
youtube.com/watch?v=zYwkNMdOwu0
youtube.com/watch?v=tonexlw6tOo
youtube.com/watch?v=P3fGrQYHHBI
youtube.com/watch?v=y_J8IS89sCk&list=PL8PGbkcO7jA5DcAFFebnghn_UoXPIAYAH
youtube.com/watch?v=nxwWC0uc_Vg&list=PL2525BBF560EAB61D&index=6
youtube.com/watch?v=ohIAAV1vVOI
youtube.com/watch?v=t2v2_TiBijE
youtube.com/watch?v=tn6gjoMUEY4
youtube.com/watch?v=MbBk33qfG6o
youtube.com/watch?v=UiVMAqqEIFM
youtube.com/watch?v=I-VY-zs2eiY
youtube.com/watch?v=uz90BOQHOHg
youtube.com/watch?v=zLxVisyR0o4
youtube.com/watch?v=NEVJRdo-eHc
youtube.com/watch?v=qxeb0cwjE8U
youtube.com/watch?v=tmrAgUzaVsU
youtube.com/watch?v=NMWqllG3Tkk
youtube.com/watch?v=p-a07KpEa9A
youtube.com/watch?v=THFJw0-0Y_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=v3Lc7OgIngE
youtube.com/watch?v=gP3k-5hryb8
youtube.com/watch?v=89ZlEY4UJUY
youtube.com/watch?v=NlpgFuhpgmk
youtube.com/watch?v=bd6dHISEA8I
youtube.com/watch?v=3BLK8x_2s_E
youtube.com/watch?v=8YeFBXU0P6I
youtube.com/watch?v=GTVA16kM7rs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What is the person appeal of jazz music to you?
I think jazz is the music I can get the most entertainment out of through repeated active listening
>What jazz album made it click for you?
Mingus Ah Um
>What is your absolute favourite jazz release and why?
Andrew Hill- Point of Departure: It's the best mix of intelligent composition and structure with uninhibited improvisation. The best mix of old and new.

Pro-tip. Threads about jazz don't get replies unless you start them with some sort of obvious b8. If you want to discuss jazz on Sup Forums the best place to do it is in the weekly blindfold threads.

bump

bump

lol I tried to tell you

I like jazz that either catchy as fuck (Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Charlie Parker, Lee Morgan, the list goes on...) or 100% batshit insane (European free jazz)

nobody on Sup Forums likes jazz because only jazz musicians like jazz and nobody on Sup Forums makes music

>Mingus Ah Um

my nigga

>inb4 jazz is all modern music post

Jazz is appealing cause of the energy it brings me. The way it gives things mood and character. I was walking down the street of a small town at night listening to Miles Davis' In A Silent Way and it really felt like I was transported back in time, almost like I was in a different world. The streets were empty and sinister and dark and scary yet characterized by their own personal quirks and colored by the music. It's wonderful how music changes your perception of the world, and to me jazz does it in a way that keeps me grounded.

Right now, my favorite jazz song is Ainokawa by Sleepwalker, because of the intense energy it has. Miles Davis' Silent Way turns me into a sort of menace of the streets, but Ainokawa turns me into a jumpy madman, like Dean Moriarty.

I find albums are different each time I listen and I'll find new things depending on my frame of mind
Ellington at Newport
It is very hard to say because I like a lot of jazz, but when it comes down to it I still love Ellington at Newport. The raw emotion and energy that's captured in those recordings is unmatched.

Yesterday and today I have been downloading and tagging a ton of jazz and have the urge to only listen to jazz
I started with the essentials artists and releases, as I have not explored the genre at all previously
But I am really digging Miles Davis
Can't wait to really get into this genre!

My only question is, what do people who have heard a lot of jazz think of the "entry level" artists like John Coltrane and Miles Davis, as they are still two highly talent musicians? To me I think it would be pretty contrarian to dismiss them

Tried to listen to jazz off and on for a while, but I didn't feel like it did anything for me. This is one of several albums that helped bring me around. I would recommend it to anyone trying to get into the genre.

The solos always keep jazz records fresh, even if you have already listened to it, also if there's one thing I love about music interplay, and the second one is 'feelings'. Jazz got it both.
After several listenings and active listening, I gotta tell you it is Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage, hence my absolute favourite jazz release.
I answered it above, but I'll cheat and post a second one.
Andrew Hill - Judgment!
Compositions are extremely dynamics, it adds a subtlue impression cuz Bobby's vibraphones are awesome, solos are tight, Elvin jones is a god. Ya, pretty much
youtube.com/watch?v=w7IqaFifJeI

Truly a slice of heaven

>"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical 'adulthood'. To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside 'mere' rock music. This ostentatious display of 'sophistication' is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call 'jazz'. There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere. Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the 'free' zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good. The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the disappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap."

OP your pic is what got me into jazz, after listening to "IDM" and prog for years and realizing they borrow heavily from jazz

Is that Steve Albino?

post some cool guitar

All the layers you can find in most Jazz albums and how single songs can progress in a way most other genres can't.
Blues and Roots - Charles Mingus.
Cumbia and Jazz Fusion - Charles Mingus, I don't know, I juse feel that from start to finish I'm interested every time I listen to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_H9FYZy4E

Yusuf Lateef - Eastern Sounds
It makes me feel really calm when I listen to it. I tend to like jazz albums that I personally can sit back and relax to more than the faster paced more intense ones I see posted a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=TeMr4SQtWGo

youtube.com/watch?v=BIeGrOo6JDk

I like this one

youtube.com/watch?v=zYwkNMdOwu0

who /vocal jazz/ here?

funny, i ended up listening to jazz becouse i hate vocals as a whole

vocal jazz imo is under appreciated desu. most people who "like it" are like even worse than most Sup Forumstants w/ instrumental jazz, frank sinatra, ella fitzgerald, i could go on
anyway i like both but it's something i have an interest in that i rarely ever get to talk about with anyone

Are you at least into scat?

I've never paid attention to it because I don't care much for vocals, post some interesting stuff to check it out pls

youtube.com/watch?v=tonexlw6tOo

Billie Holiday is probably the greatest female singer to have ever lived.

what the fuck dude

dude pls

Scatting. Improvised nonverbal vocalizations like in the below. Yeah, I said it the other way on purpose.

youtube.com/watch?v=P3fGrQYHHBI

I wish my dick was that french horn hes blowing

t. Pleb

delete this

>Miles Davis
>french horn

So vulgar. Oh yeah, and the dick joke.

Bump

What are some jazz guitar essentials?

to be honest my "opinion" is that it's "essential" you don't listen to jazz guitar

best piano trios in your opinion?

I don't listen to much but Wes Montgomery is good.

The Epic by Kamasi Washington

>only jazz musicians like jazz
and hipsters

If you want guitar music try George benson

is this the single most entry level jazz album ever? I feel like absolutely anyone of any music background can enjoy this.

>My only question is, what do people who have heard a lot of jazz think of the "entry level" artists like John Coltrane and Miles Davis, as they are still two highly talent musicians?
Most people would agree that those musicians are great. Especially Miles Davis was so influential, it's pretty much impossible to deny that he was one of the greatest jazz players ever.

I'm a theory autist and I love jazz theory. Also, it's some of the most expressive music every
Charles Mingus - Changes Part 1
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
It's the perfect fusion record.

What are some great guitar-only jazz records?

Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass, George Benson, Pat Metheny, Ralph Towner, Terje Rypdal

Despite being quite an avid jazz listener, I still really enjoy Brubeck.
It has such a relaxing feel to it.
Sometimes I feel like not everything I listen to has to be crazy progressive and free. Sometimes things can just be nice. Like strange meadow lark on this album. The piano into is beautiful and when Desmond's sax hits, it's a great moment.

I mean yeah, the A side is great, there isn't any way to debate that, but the B side is so mediocre that it almost ruins the album. Like it's not bad, I enjoy it fine, but it's like 6/10. Feels like Brubeck was a one side of a one hit wonder, but then again I'm just going by rym ratings and listening to this one album. Is anything else of his worth my time?

I've only really heard a handful of jazz.
>Bitches brew
>Tutu
>Head hunters
>Black saint and the sinner lady
>Space is the place
>Karma
>Shape of jazz to come
>Heavy weather

I've liked everything I've heard so far, stand outs are bitches brew, head hunters and black saint for me atleast
Is it worth just going through discographies for now or should I scatter my listening through various artists?

That was lit senpai

I use it as a tool to look smarter than other people
Jazz in Silhouette
>What is your absolutely favourite jazz release and why?
Recently I've been recently listening to Hopasa by High Definition Quartet. It has a lot of references to past jazz and Penderecki

He was a great song writer really.
Themes for eurasia isn't half bad.
My favourite of his tunes is In Her Own Sweet Way. Bill Evans and Miles Davis rated it as well and played some good versions.

Guys, show me notable modern (post 70s) pianists, or at least modern jazz albums with tight piano play.

Definitely. This isn't a straight ahead jazz, but more of a mix of funk, jazz and fusion and people new to this music can really enjoy it.

The ability to deliver music in a manner I can relate emotionally

John Coletrane - A Love Supreme Part II: Resolution

>What is your absolute favorite jazz release and why?
Art Blakey and the Jazz messengers- Moanin

I enjoy good music.
The discography of Joe Pass along with some works of Ella Fitzgerald' s where I began.
I don't categorize shit or put numbers to them. 'Round About Midnight come to mind.

Chet Bakers stuff i suppose

>

Ted Greene

youtube.com/watch?v=y_J8IS89sCk&list=PL8PGbkcO7jA5DcAFFebnghn_UoXPIAYAH

Joe Pass - Virtuoso

youtube.com/watch?v=nxwWC0uc_Vg&list=PL2525BBF560EAB61D&index=6

Wes Montgomery - Stompin' at the Savoy

youtube.com/watch?v=ohIAAV1vVOI

My favourite modern pianist is probably Fred Hirsch. I think he's taking Jazz piano in a pretty unexplored direction, or at least taking this whole contrapuntal style to a degree I've not heard before youtube.com/watch?v=t2v2_TiBijE

Brad Mehldau is of course amazing youtube.com/watch?v=tn6gjoMUEY4 youtube.com/watch?v=MbBk33qfG6o

But I think Robert Glasper follows Hirsch for me, I actually don't think Glasper is a great soloist but he has an incredible feel and his RnB focussed stuff is amazing too
youtube.com/watch?v=UiVMAqqEIFM
youtube.com/watch?v=I-VY-zs2eiY (also some amazing brush work on this, which is always some to point out)
youtube.com/watch?v=uz90BOQHOHg

Vijay Iyer is also an incredible composer and pianist youtube.com/watch?v=zLxVisyR0o4
youtube.com/watch?v=NEVJRdo-eHc

Gerald Clayton is great
youtube.com/watch?v=qxeb0cwjE8U
youtube.com/watch?v=tmrAgUzaVsU

For cool uses of piano in a big band setting, check out Darcy James Argue's Brooklyn Babylon youtube.com/watch?v=NMWqllG3Tkk

youtube.com/watch?v=p-a07KpEa9A

Can someone recommend good jazz fusion albums?

Do you like Al Di Meola?

I'm a guitar player myself, but never really listened to Al Di Meola much. Recommendations?

What am I looking for if I want something similar to Kind of Blue? Cool Jazz? Modal Jazz? Which records? Ive listened to probably 20~ jazz albums in my life, yet I still struggle finding something "exactly" like this.

For reference my favorite jazz tracks are Coltrane's rendition of I'm Old Fashioned and Blue in Green... I really want more of that.

look at stuff by those same guys in the same era
youtube.com/watch?v=v3Lc7OgIngE
youtube.com/watch?v=gP3k-5hryb8

I guess it depends on what part of Kind of Blue you like, since I think the Evans tracks are significantly different. Like if you really dig blue in green you might like this tune youtube.com/watch?v=89ZlEY4UJUY etc

These are all good! I'm gonna download them. Not too sure how I feel about the piano emphasis that isolated track gets after the midpart though

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Horace Silver as a improviser. He's fantastic, of course, but yeah.

Also, here's a bunch of modern stuff that is definitely not the same, but similar

(Pretty similar)
youtube.com/watch?v=NlpgFuhpgmk

(Very different, but kind of similar vibe)
youtube.com/watch?v=bd6dHISEA8I
Something more chill by Ambrose: youtube.com/watch?v=3BLK8x_2s_E

(what I feel is a very modern extension of what Evans was doing)

also totally unrelated but just throwing it out there because I came across it and the first time I listened to it I cried: youtube.com/watch?v=8YeFBXU0P6I Wendel's whole 2015 project was amazing honestly.

In no particular order:

Orrin Evans- I love his playing for how imaginative it is. No matter what project he is a part of he finds some way to move the whole band in an interesting direction. He plays with a lot of humor (something a lot of other modern pianists seem to lack) and his playing always seems to challenge the rest of the group (in a good way).

Craig Taborn- I think what I really like about Taborn's playing is how he uses color. He obviously draws influence from people like Cecil Taylor and Andrew Hill, but nobody else voices their chords quite like Taborn. I think he brings a unique and recognizable sound to whatever group he plays with.

Dave Kikoski- Dave's an incredible soloist and plays with ridiculous technique that draws on all of jazz piano history but he's really special for his skill as an accompanist. When he's comping behind a solo he's always so actively involved in what they're playing and he always pushes the solo to a new level.

Fred Hersch- He's another master who brings a lot of history to his playing. I think he's probably the top of the game when it comes to playing solo piano. He knows how to use the piano to really "orchestrate" the music and I think that also really shines through when he plays with ensembles. He's got unbelievable technique but he also knows how to use restraint and let simplicity come first.

Luis Perdomo- He's Venezuelan and grew up playing Latin music and classical, but he's also incredible at straight-ahead jazz. What really impresses me about him is his precision and infallible sense of time, even while playing very complicated poly-rhythmic stuff. He can also play a beautiful ballad.

Honorary mentions to: David Virelles, John Escreet, and George Colligan.

DJANGO REINDHART, grant green, wes montgomery, and a personal favorite of mine is Emily Remler, she was a jazz guitarist during the 70s and 80s and she did some dope as hell jams

Rec me some 1920s Jazz lads, all I have found that isn't shitty dixieland so far is:

Duke Ellington and His Kentucky Club Orchestra - East St. Louis Toodle-O / Birmingham Breakdown
Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five - Heebie Jeebies / Muskrat Ramble

>/vocal jazz/
>no Chet Baker

can you guys recommend some albums like my favorite things

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Chick Corea - Return to Forever
Bitches Brew
Soft Machine - Third
Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction

Bump

Your jazz pet peeves GO!!

>Jazz artist has an interest in Hindu religion or Eastern culture
>Jazz artist is known for their free improv
>Jazz artist is known for having drug problems
>Jazz artist is known for having an eccentric personality
>Jazz artist died young but has a steady following long after their death

thats like half of them

what does Sup Forums think of Dave Brubeck?

New Fire! Orchestra this year.
I think it sounds pretty good
youtube.com/watch?v=GTVA16kM7rs

>Jazz artist died young but has a steady following long after their death
what on earth is wrong with this

Just got a trumpet, would love anything that features it cause I'd like some inspiration. recc me stuff pls

miles davis

>What is the personal appeal of jazz music to you?
I have an ear for less consonant music, and the flexibility that jazz affords, and the creativity of the people that pursue it often affords brilliant and beautiful ideas. I also enjoy the fact that it still pushes boundaries in a musical sense, for creativity, for what is "normal", and so on.
Burton, Metheny, Corea, Haynes, Holland's "Like Minds", in combination with anything by Allan Holdsworth, and Aaron Goldberg. Ari Hoenig and Eric Harland and their various projects were also very influential in my taking to jazz, both as a listener and a musician.
This one I can't answer! I respect a lot of different releases for a lot of different reasons. There are usually only a couple of aspects that I end up revering an album/track for ie., rhythmic experimentation, harmonic interest, brilliant form and the like.

>OH NO THEY DIED SO YOUNG IMAGINE IF THEY JUST LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO BLAH BLAH

Its such a rockist thing to do. Don't do it

My biggest is DEFINITELY:
>white high school jazz band member is a Puritan and wants every jazz performer to be a Marsalis

I've enjoyed kind of blue and bitches brew, what should I check out next?

don't be a pretentious moron. any non-musical reasons to dislike music are stupid.

I think it's mandatory in a way for a dedicated jazz player to have an eccentric personality. A lot of Jazz artists do tend to have interests in Eastern Culture or Scientology like Chick Corea...

His Cyndi Lauper covers and live collaborations with Kenny G

Whatever you say..............rockist

>bitches brew
The other records from Miles electric period, mostly In A Silent Way, Jack Johnson (my personal favourite, the guitar in the first song is dirty and rocknroll) and Live-Evil.
>kind of blue
This is harder in my opinion, you could check Milestones, it has the same ensemble (at least the soloists), it was the first incursion in modal jazz by Miles (the main theme is modal jazz), however is more hardbop, I like the performances of Adderley and Coltrane better than in KoB since they're more in their "natural habitat", but other than the main theme is not very similar.
If you want that kind of cool feel, perhaps you could try Bill Evans, one of the compositions of the album, Blue in Green is originally his, you can hear it in a piano trio setting in Portrait in Jazz, although it's not a modal jazz album.

Worst kind t b h.

The only way jazz threads get any replies and don't die out after a couple of hours is through pointless arguments and flame wars... Good job...

holy shit youre a fucking idiot

he's clearly trolling.

Actualy jazz pet peeve: modern artists who rarely record standards