you can't be smart if you listen to music, is the conclusion i'm getting here

of course no! all people are equal and taste is subjective ™

How does that chart work?

This chart confuses me

Not smart enough

There is no vertical axis. It's just stacked for space

no

also academics is a meme

I don't believe someone's attraction to a particular feel of music is inherently linked, no. I do think though, that there are certain genres that will appeal to less intelligent or reasoning minds. The more vulgar rap, I think, would appeal to someone whose more driven by emotion, or perhaps less critical of the fruitlessness and meaninglessness of most of the lyrics. Or rather, if someone were to connect with that style of music, I doubt they would be all that bright. On the other hand, certain genres carry with them almost expectations of how you're to evaluate them. For classical music, say, you might really just enjoy the sound of the piano, or maybe Chopin's Revolutionary Etude might stand out... But the nuances you're supposed to perceive in the interpretation, the dynamics etc., require you to be more purposeful in the way you approach listening to it. Also, the rap, or country, or punk music might be a part of the culture much more easily than say classical or jazz in this era, which would require more independent thought than just going with the flow. That being said, if you like hip-hop or rap or what have you, I don't think that necessitates you being a moron.

full picture

can we get another chart about music that is guaranteed to get you pussy because pretending to be smart coz of audiowaves is kinda stupid and you dont wanna go for the intellectual meme inna club anyways

no because all smarts people are two busy saving the world with their science and books 2 listen to good musik

I think this has more to do with culture than anything. Take Lil Wayne. I think he's actually a smart guy as far as rappers go. He appeals, at least in part, to poor inner city kids with no education - exactly the kind of people who aren't going to care to try hard on the SAT.

On the other end, take Counting Crows. I'd actually say they're a particularly bland and unintelligent rock band. But think about who they appeal to: white collar, middle class office workers in middle America. Exactly the type of people who do try on the SAT because they want degrees in accounting.

This seems to make a lot of sense

what do the numbers on the x axis mean
also if counting crows are smart tier then moms everywhere are geniuses

its sat scores

I know a computer science genius who makes more money than a brain surgeon. His favorite bands are Nickelback, Our Lady Peace, and Stained.

Staind*

>Suffy Jams is my favorite artist
>Got an 1850 on my SAT without even studying for it
Im still retarded though

Classical scores bad while Beethoven scores excellent. Looks odd. But I guess a university professor might name his favourite composer. A college drop-out might just say classical.

yeah that disparity alone makes this chart pretty suspect.

oh ok
i'm not from america so we don't have SAT's

>Take Lil Wayne. I think he's actually a smart guy as far as rappers go
How so?

> brainlets need to feel smart by pretending to like shitty music

Lmao @ ur "lives"

-T. Successful Stemlord

>No IDM artist
>No Jazz artist
shitty chart desu

What would Einstein listen to if he had been born in the 90's? He was most likely an autist, played violin and piano and loved Mozart, but the more contemporary the composer, the less he liked them. Of Wagner he said, “I admire Wagner’s inventiveness, but I see his lack of architectural structure as decadence. Moreover, to me his musical personality is indescribably offensive so that for the most part I can listen to him only with disgust”.

Basically he would be a lewronggeneration fag?

i'm willing to bet the higher your intelligence goes, the more likely you are to hate music in general

whats the x axis measuring?

that seems false.
maybe you don't know many very intelligent people?

You can't score 1850 on a SAT, user... the maximum is 1700...

Well dropouts don't usually take the SATs you dummy

>the type of people who do try on the SAT

'trying' on the SAT is likely a function of wealth, but also a function of intelligence. (doesn't take a genius to realize that test scores are crucial; 90pct of success is showing up and 'trying')

i just say it because intelligence seems to coincide with depression and cynicism, though i guess at that point its more likely they get into crazy shit like sine waves or whatever

it used to go up to 2400, i got 1910 without studying since we're bragging

With the most recent change, it's back to 1600, isn't it?

The suburban kids tends to listen to indie whereas inner-city kids tend to listen to rap.
Inner-city schools tend to be shit compared to suburban ones.

It can go up to a certain number but it's always cut. You can get 1970, but you'll be told it's 1700. I work at the fucking Suite so I know this shit.
You fuckboys are literally telling lies on the internet to show off, it's embarassing.

Sorta.

The smarter you are the more likely you are to unironically enjoy a wide range of genres. I wouldn't say any specific genre is linked to intelligence though.

good lord

i would guess that intelligence is one factor which influences taste in music. other variables would be social or environmental, but that's also influenced by intelligence and vice versa. so yeah, it's bound to be linked by virtue of the fact that intelligence influences every facet of our lives. i doubt that the effect size is large though - cultural factors must be important here. for example, most people from country x will tend to enjoy music from their own country -- by virtue of the fact that they have less chance to listen to outside music unless it becomes super popular, which'd be hard to quantify.

the meme answer is yes.

>intelligence and depression.
could be. but generally highly intelligent people, in my experience, are more open to the world, and more appreciative to different, varied forms of art.

but in any case, scoring high on the SAT is probably a function of background/ wealth / education (i know its an aptitude test, but you can definitely game the test to score better than the ranger identified in the graph).
yeah, this is really just capturing a class dynamic. not really a very interesting chart

what the fuck dude calm down, they had a writing portion in there for a few years that bumped up the total score, maybe they had a condensed something/1600 score, but i don't remember that. i also had several friends with scores in the 2100s around 2009

?

honestly i'm a big lil wayne fan... and i love his stuff but I'm not dumb. I mean i Got a 3000 on My sat... why would i be dumb?? haha

you're very right, all an SAT can really test for is a persons test taking and test prep abilities, same with all standardized tests

congrats youre parents must be very proud

no, its real

for your own edification, the cap before the writing portion, and the cap now that the writing portion has been removed, was/is 1600. if people are referring to scores over 1600, thats on the 2400 scale.

hahah oh my god buddy
i hope you ease up on people

My mom yeah. Not My dad though...

why not senpai?

its a fake score/

no way are you serious?

i didnt realize this level of assmaddery was possible, what a day

My father Left before i was born

he is

What they said actually makes sense tho so take it easy.

damn so sorry

Jazz that low, this chart is a fucking joke.

>Sufjan Stevens
>intelligent

Wow what a stupid chart

Every other artist is pretty dumb in comparison.

But what about if I'm a fan of Wayne's shit and Sufjan's shit?