Big Blues Party

Just went to a blues festival yesterday, and I'm really excited to talk about and listen to one of my favorite genres. Let's throw a blues party and share our favorite blues artists, songs, and albums. Everything blues is welcome here from the newer and accessible to the deeper, older stuff. I'll do my part to keep something on the juke box.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nWtFy3jzlUE
youtube.com/watch?v=2Py37G9qsfY
youtube.com/watch?v=9Ri7TcukAJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=39RBm4tH9cA
youtube.com/watch?v=kxO2752Zt7A
youtube.com/watch?v=gFoPYr8XDrE&list=PL94gOvpr5yt14qIcCYdRzyMsuTsK9ah6P
youtube.com/watch?v=nxemTlaxXeE
youtube.com/watch?v=mhKGnLiApis
youtube.com/watch?v=_5Emb0bi0n4
youtube.com/watch?v=szGRsuK8MbM
youtube.com/watch?v=sOOE_-3JTBs
youtube.com/watch?v=4ig4IJgRjGU
youtube.com/watch?v=db94lyKYOcg
youtube.com/watch?v=DNUbrhapPp4
youtube.com/watch?v=1Qb166Ib-8k
youtube.com/watch?v=UNftrsCMiQs
youtube.com/watch?v=u8EraarVcKI
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2SMd0_l6vo
youtube.com/watch?v=WS7_e9LdvDI
youtube.com/watch?v=3j0hrkuNmJU
youtube.com/watch?v=piFH6asPTlA
youtube.com/watch?v=6VAbrnjdtYw
youtube.com/watch?v=seJAOWHUeJE
youtube.com/watch?v=LjpIijRirUs
youtube.com/watch?v=fQMU1S8FhKg
youtube.com/watch?v=9gBqwWOWKLE
youtube.com/watch?v=yY6iM-KbcAg
youtube.com/watch?v=Rnm5rPEmTh4
youtube.com/watch?v=V_gvcxcyQMU
youtube.com/watch?v=x4KmbUCwkyE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Let's start with a little Lightnin' Hopkins (pictured in my OP):

youtube.com/watch?v=nWtFy3jzlUE

And here's one rock fans might recognize:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Py37G9qsfY

Here's another favorite of 60s rockers:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Ri7TcukAJ8

Now let's go way back to some authentic country blues.

youtube.com/watch?v=39RBm4tH9cA

I would recommend Mississippi John Hurt to anyone interested in older acoustic blues or folk music. His finger-picking style and gentle vocals are ever soothing and uniquely his own. Truly one of the greats.

Back to the beginning with Charlie Patton:

youtube.com/watch?v=kxO2752Zt7A

youtube.com/watch?v=gFoPYr8XDrE&list=PL94gOvpr5yt14qIcCYdRzyMsuTsK9ah6P

John Hurt is GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=nxemTlaxXeE

youtube.com/watch?v=mhKGnLiApis

youtube.com/watch?v=_5Emb0bi0n4

MJH is awesome, but I don't really know of anyone else like him. Just started listening to Charlie Patton not too long ago. I'm definitely more interested in the old school country blues.

youtube.com/watch?v=szGRsuK8MbM

Here, have a video of the great Doc Watson playing Columbus Stockade Blues in some random person's living room.

youtube.com/watch?v=sOOE_-3JTBs

i've never gotten blues music

am I too white?

You might not be white enough. I'm from northeast Tennessee and was born and raised in the mountains on traditional bluegrass. It was an easy transition into another form of roots music for me.

>implying its a race thing

you might just be an idiot

oh shit nevermind i may be white but this is nice

Or I might just not like blues music fool

I was just joking of course it's not a race thing

Cool! I kinda like bluegrass actually, been listening to some compilations recently.

Don't know. I'm pretty damn white. How easily you can get into the blues really depends on what you listen to already. My exposure to the blues really started with blues inspired rock bands (a few examples below), and then I grew to prefer the real thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ig4IJgRjGU

youtube.com/watch?v=db94lyKYOcg

youtube.com/watch?v=DNUbrhapPp4

Here, have some next level bluegrass on the house.
youtube.com/watch?v=1Qb166Ib-8k

I think I might have just been listening to too much Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, been listening to songs posted ITT and really enjoyed them. Knew the Howlin' Wolf song already and it's always been amazing, thanks for those recs!

Cool will give this a listen :)

youtube.com/watch?v=UNftrsCMiQs
this man's voice is ridiculous af

Yeah, I'm thinking you might like Mississippi John Hurt and Lightnin' Hopkins more, at least at first. Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters are great, but I also a hard time getting into them for a while, even though I already knew a lot of their songs through covers.

Hurt and Hopkins are considered "country blues" singers because they sing accompanied by a single guitar or sometimes limited accompaniment by drums and/or piano for Hopkins. The point is that it's not a full band like you get with the "Chicago blues." Country blues is more stripped down and rooted in old folk traditions, so it might be more to the taste of someone who likes bluegrass.

youtube.com/watch?v=u8EraarVcKI

youtube.com/watch?v=Q2SMd0_l6vo

If you want to hear something a little heavier, I would suggest Howlin' Wolf, Albert King, or John Lee Hooker.

youtube.com/watch?v=WS7_e9LdvDI

I'll also put in a plug here for Willie King, who's kind of a local legend in West Alabama. He died a few years back, but there's a festival held every year in his honor, which I went to yesterday. This is just good, raw electric blues.

youtube.com/watch?v=3j0hrkuNmJU

youtube.com/watch?v=piFH6asPTlA

seems appropriate to the thread title

That's awesome. Coincidentally, I've had this song stuck in my head lately.

youtube.com/watch?v=6VAbrnjdtYw

Never really got into his world-music influenced music, but early Taj Mahal and some late songs really do it for me. He never seems to be brought up as much as the major blues guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=seJAOWHUeJE

youtube.com/watch?v=LjpIijRirUs

youtube.com/watch?v=fQMU1S8FhKg

youtube.com/watch?v=9gBqwWOWKLE

Same thing with Junior Kimbrough, seems to get overlooked a lot of the time. I love the dirty, droning sound he gets, plus the band behind him is always really tight.

youtube.com/watch?v=yY6iM-KbcAg

The Black Keys tribute album to him is worth a listen too,

youtube.com/watch?v=V_gvcxcyQMU

Had this stuck in my head for a long, long time. One of my favorite guitar performances.

youtube.com/watch?v=x4KmbUCwkyE

Buddy Guys "Mary had a little Lamb" at supershow is superb