/experimental/

Hi friends, this is a thread for experimental music discussion. To clarify: Noise, drone, electroacoustic, free improvisation, futurism, indeterminacy, musique concrete, sound collage, and all that good stuff.

What have you been listening to? What have you been making? Movie and literature recommendations, concert experiences, gear, etc. are all welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/asingledigit/do-not-stand-at-my-grave-and-weep
axelpowrie.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/blog-post_98.html
windowlistener.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/tricky-plexus-what-was-pain
clyp.it/m5wv1n1t
youtube.com/watch?v=co17YM3fVVE
youtube.com/watch?v=2ptOJ33u1bQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hTN3z9DnTtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=s6j9gma8sL8
cathnor.bandcamp.com/album/drawings
metunes.ru/release-idfbeejfi/Soundtrack-For-Children-Who-Wont-Die-Shusaku-Arakawa
soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz/the-visitation-feat-ornate-exit
youtube.com/watch?v=uyh99RH-sqs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't really understand the obsession with people pretending every single thing that comes from onkyo or free improv or other artists is 10/10. It's like they don't care about the music and just want to try and look cool for liking something off kilter or that they identify with.

also Riley, Reich, or Glass?

pretentiousness

>OMG duDE these random beeps and bloops every 10 minutes are SO GENIUS!!!!!1!!1!!!11!!1

Hey a different person made the thread this time! Anyway I like good morning good night but I don't know much onkyo or lowercase in general. I had sort of trouble wrapping my head around it at first due to all the apparent silence. But I think it makes for good background music at least. I do want to just explore the genre more though

soundcloud.com/asingledigit/do-not-stand-at-my-grave-and-weep
here is a thing i made a few months ago

>indeterminacy

can anyone explain to me why this is an attractive concept?

It's the most performer-friendly style as it's all in the interpretation of the performer. How is that not appealing?

how is that different than improvisation?

....do you not know what indeterminacy is

Bach, Mozart and Beethoven were my favorite experimental musicians of all time. Favorite works by these artists? I've been rather into K. 458 in B-flat major recently.

at first I thought it was randomness included in the piece but now you say its "all in the interpretation of the performer" makes it sound like improvisation

>every single thing that comes from onkyo or free improv or other artists is 10/10

I've literally never heard anybody say that. There is plenty of shitty onkyo and free improv.

Apparently he does not because they're very different. There's a difference between leaving things to chance and improvisation.

Also pic related is another really entry level onkyo album I enjoy, probably more than op's pic but I'm undecided

This is undoubtedly true, although examples don't readily come to mind. Partially because the bad releases are quickly swept under the rug and forgotten but partially because I'm not well versed in either genre

anyone heard of this guy before really great electroacoustic artist IMO

can i spam my shitty bandcamp digital noise here?

why is it shitty?

I've heard of him but haven't listened to any of his works yet.

Why post music if its shitty? Kind of a waste of everyone's time. I have shitty noise I made myself but I don't go posting it.

d-does noise rock count as experimental?

"I like classical music! Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, the list goes on!

good morning good night, no-input mixing board and semi-impressionism are sublime albums; but the remaining bulk of the onkyo genre ranges from mediocre to awful

I can't think of that many awful or mediocre Onkyo albums, then again there really isn't even that many Onkyo albums to begin with. Those are 3 of the best albums in the genre that you picked at least.

Try Soundtrack For Children Who Won't Die, Shusaku Arakawa if you want to start on his electroacoustic stuff or atak000 if you just want his Microsound style stuff

the onkyo/EAI catalog is huge, you just have to look

What are some Onkyo/EAI albums you thought were awful out of curiosity?

You are currently implying that Bach, Mozart and Beethoven aren't the greatest musicians in human history, and another name deserves to be listed among them. Why is that? Do you purposely enjoy being ignorant of their matchless accomplishments?

Back to your containment board.

here is a microphone experiment thing that I did a while ago. I think its really interesting because it sounds so electronically made but its actually just made with a stereo pair of $1 electret condenser mics. no post editing. See if you can work out how it was made.
axelpowrie.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/blog-post_98.html

hey here's my bandcamp if anybody is wanting it (aka nobody): windowlistener.bandcamp.com (ignore first 5 tracks of Clairvoyance/Alien Sights)

probably not but that's a damn good album you posted

a lot of sounds are pretty fucking interesting
keep it up

cheers man!

I'm working on a power electronics album.
soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/tricky-plexus-what-was-pain

Here's an improv piece I recorded a day or so ago
clyp.it/m5wv1n1t

Really enjoyed your newest release, Uneasy lights in a overcast especially has an incredible presence.

there's some interesting sounds here. what's your process for generating this stuff?

I like that artwork. I think I'd kinda prefer it without the arm though. But that's just aesthetic preference. I'm thinking if it were for one of my releases.

This album is amazing. I've listened to some other Steve Roden records and was left cold (particularly with Forms of Paper), but this was just sublime from beginning to finish.

Reich is more interesting than Glass, but I reeeeeeeaaaaaally like Glass.

Not as familiar with Riley as I'd like to be

Sorry for not responding earlier, I assume you're talking about Alien Sights? I'll go into detail in another post if you're wondering about anything else.

Anyways, most of Alien Sights was made through samples I made before hand put through some vsts, the big force in the sounds that you hear are from the Hadron vst, though there are others (I can't recall a few of them but most are pretty normal)

Though in Species Nest the sound that builds up is a big glitch in one of the vsts, it was fucking weird too because I think it was supposed to make synthy sounds.

Undesirable Host is probably the most interesting backstory to any of my tracks. I found it on my harddrive (there was indesirablv1.mp3, which was an odd atonal melody, and indesirablv2.mp3 which is what you hear). I have no memory of making these, which spooked me at first but it sounded so good that I put it on.

Sorry for the wall of text

>he starts the thread off with fucking GMGN

lol, at least it sets the tone for these pathetic threads well right off the bat
hey, you ever heard of merzbow or graham lambkin?

bumop

Glass reminds me of Coldplay and kodak commercials and stuff.

Reich is more about cool technical experimentation stuff (numbers and math and shit).

Riley is like 'BOOM! Arpeggios!' As far as I know

So reich I guess

>I can't think of that many awful or mediocre Onkyo albums

I doubt you can think of any Onkyo albums aside from the few that are memes on this board.

>hey, you ever heard of merzbow or graham lambkin?

Of course! Merzbow, Hanatarash, Jason Lescalleet, Graham Lambkin, Otomo Yoshihide, the list goes on and on...
Have you heard the new Gerogerigegege album? Such brilliance, such depth.

Some stuff from Brazil.

youtube.com/watch?v=co17YM3fVVE

youtube.com/watch?v=2ptOJ33u1bQ

youtube.com/watch?v=hTN3z9DnTtQ

youtube.com/watch?v=s6j9gma8sL8

"I like non poseur music! Oasis, Coldplay, the list goes on!

Oh, I like plenty of shit which would fall under the umbrella of discussion in this thread(most of it being shit which will never be discussed here because it's got no meme potential and would actually require people here to find it on their own, which they are totally incapable of). In fact I would say that "experimental"(according to the standards of this thread) music makes up for most of my listening habits and interests.
I just also happen to find the "I'm-16-and-a-real-experimental-music-fan!" vibes of this thread pretty funny. Isn't the point of a general that it allows for the congregation of people who actually have a deeper familiarity with the subject of that general?

And Oasis wrote some pretty good pop songs in the 90s. You don't like Slide Away or Some Might Say?

Just because the albums are memed here doesn't mean they aren't good. Feel free to discuss whatever super obscure releases you want.

>Feel free to discuss whatever super obscure releases you want.

I would if I figured it would be mutually beneficial for me and the thread and that I could actually discover something I never heard of before here but nah, I reckon all I would get for my efforts here would be someone recommending me Cluster and Incapacitants lel.

And even with the "good meme albums" that are posted here I'm not seeing much of a proper discussion here.
It doesn't seem like people know enough about these albums and where they're coming from in order to discuss them, I'm just seeing people posting covers and shit and saying "this is a good album, I like it" and then other people joining in and going "hey, me too!" with no depth whatsoever to the whole exchange.
If at least these meme albums got properly discussed here the thread would be a bit less ridiculous.

>doesn't post them

what's the best experimental album ever?

I just don't see the point in babysitting you lads, that's all there is to it. It's so blatant that everybody ITT's contact with "experimental music" begins and ends with the shit they see on Sup Forums and RYM charts.

For all we know you're no better, you haven't actually posted any albums yet.

Excuses, excuses

tfw I turned gmgn into a meme.

I made it pretty clear that I have no interest in spoonfeeding you, didn't I?

Okay, lets discuss obscure music. What is your favorite album by Schneekersfield? I really like their album manipulations for cd player, it's like a better version of Solo for Wounded CD.

See:

>so clueless about experimental music beyond Sup Forums meme shit that he has to make up fictional artists in order to make himself look like less of a droning goon

This is just sad, dude.

>Not knowing enough about obscure experimental music to the point where he thinks the artist is fake.

It's an obscure artist from my hometown that doesn't release his music online, you don't know much about experimental music that wasn't spoonfed to you.

Okay here's a less obscure one, what did you think of this album?
cathnor.bandcamp.com/album/drawings

beep beep

So how exactly did you expect me to be familiar with this artist, then? The only way to do that would be to live in the same town as you and him, and that's a pretty silly thing to expect.

Never heard it.
I think I used to have a few CDs and CD-Rs that came out on that label though, it was all pretty unexciting stuff. There's so many of these dull-ass little labels around that specialize in this sort of perfectly serviceable but totally inessential and purpose-devoid improv and/or abstract electronic shit, it's hard to still get excited about it all. The worst sort of disposable genre exercises, I have no idea where the dudes running these labels get the enthusiasm for it.

the crypt > before driving > laminal > generative themes > newfoundland > ammmusic tobhonest with you familia

this is probably a meme (I've checked the archives), but cmon if this isn't why bring it up
Either post the music or don't bring it up

what a telling OP image

That particular release is bad but there are many great releases on the label, you are obviously a drone and don't know anything about experimental music other then what the Sup Forums charts feed you.

Kid A

He specifically told me not to post his music online and I don't want to disrespect his wishes, sorry familia.

I didn't say they were bad releases, I said they were serviceable and competently made but I ultimately can't be bothered to waste time on shit that's serviceable and competently made if it brings absolutely nothing novel to the table, which is what so many of these labels suffer from. They're masturbatory in the dullest possible way.

Also Graham Lambkin / Jason Lescalleet - The Breadwinner

Except that isn't true at all, I'm sure you never listened to more then one or two releases on the label. Also, what is your example of a good label, then.

That's pretty fucking convenient, why are the majority of the posts in the archive recommending it?
I guess somebody would say it could be in a big city, but that would mean at least one person would've recorded it

metunes.ru/release-idfbeejfi/Soundtrack-For-Children-Who-Wont-Die-Shusaku-Arakawa

what is wrong with this website

I didn't have a ton of releases from it, I had like 5 or 6 and I eventually got rid of them all because they were just clutter I could most certainly live without.

>Also, what is your example of a good label, then.

A good label just has to put out good releases, shit that I could actually see myself still listening to 10 years from when it came out.
A great label would ideally have a specific set of thematic and aesthetic goals to pursue and a certain inimitable character and style to it that would put it on its own plain as opposed to just making it one of many labels specializing in a certain type of music.
This is where so many labels specializing in contemporary avant-garde and experimental music utterly fail, they just follow in the footsteps of their pioneering predecessors without ever even giving thought to the possibility of actually doing something new within the field. They just pump out competent but inessential product, and if they don't seem to be all that enthusiastic and passionate about what they're doing then I don't see why I should be either.

soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz/the-visitation-feat-ornate-exit

I'm surprised this thread's going as well as it is...

ITT: embryos
laughable thread t b h

lel owned

lads making fools of themselves left and right here

DAE KNOW ABOUT ONKYO
DAE KNOW ABOUT PHILIP GLASS
DAE KNOW ABOUT THIS "OBSCURE LOCAL ARTIST" I BLATANTLY MADE UP BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY I CAN MAKE MYSELF APPEAR LIKE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT

embryooooooooooooooos

>no responses
hmm... i wonder why

youtube.com/watch?v=uyh99RH-sqs
parician as f

I'll take your failure to respond to my post(and the banal "nuh-uh!" replies that you did submit to my posts) and continue the discussion as a confirmation of my claims regarding the general dilettantism and ignorance of you and, by extension, this thread in general.
Gotta bail now, see ya.

And you're a joke.

bump

here, yeah just fucking say I'm a pleb instead of addressing anything of what I was saying.
To anyone wondering, search the band name in the archives and you'll get to see that the fucker is just making shit up, if you don't already know

How are people in the archive recommending it if it's fake lmfao.

So many embryos I baited in this thread lol, gonna keep posting these generals daily cause these poseurs are funny.

I really like this, although it isn't as "full on" as the first album. I think there are more nuances to it.

How do they expect the person to find it? That kind of is counterproductive

>I run away when I'm bested by a being of superior intellect, bye!

"I like experimental music! Death Grips, Anco, the list doesn't go on!"

>merzbow or graham lambkin

Never heard of them, you must be one of those avant-teen poseurs people here make fun of that only listen to obscure crap. Bye, I'm gonna go listen to Anco some more.

Sun Araw Trio's "Gazebo Effect" is real nice

not him but
Sachiko M - Bar & Sine Wave Solo

is "embryo" an unironic term now

i kepp pronouncing it as "im-BYE-roe" in my hwead

Yes its not ironic, why would it be? It's just another way of calling someone a plebian.

I sorta like Sine Wave Solo, but I hear you on Bar Sachiko.

radiohead

>another "experimental" thread
>nothing but whining and bitching
>still no actual music related discussion

come on Sup Forums, I want some experimental music.

They are good, but the best experimental band is Anco.

GMGN is objectively the best album of all time.

Can someone recommend me some slow moving drone stuff that sound like Eliane Radigue or Coil's Time Machines ?

Riley is ok, Glass and Reich are just meh, go listen to good minimalism instead.