ARTIST'S OWN FAVORITE

Are musicians always right about what their own best work is?

I've noticed that musicians are often very vocal about what their best albums are, and the public often disagrees. Bob Dylan thinks Blonde on Blonde is his best, Pete Townshend is most proud of Quadrophenia, Charles Mingus' favorite work is Let My Children Hear Music, and on the other end of things Miles Davis strongly disliked Kind of Blue.
What are your thoughts on when popular public opinion differs from that of the artist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7qa7p6gFIGw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm just a shitty nobody on soundcloud but I often get the best response on tracks that are only mediocre IMO, and when I think "damn I've topped myself again" (lol) noone cares.

Are you me?

WTF
I'm Bob Dylan and Highway 61 is my favorite
MODS pls

Yes how did u know

Critics are the true artists

I think Lennon's favorite is the White Album, and Paul's is Sgt. Pepper. Correct me if Im wrong.

Also, The Mollusk is Ween's favorite.

youtube.com/watch?v=7qa7p6gFIGw

how to tell if someone doesn't know how to play an instrument

And artists are the true instruments of artist

everyone is entitled to think what they want

I always assume an artist to believe their most recent work to be their best

it doesn't bother me - I'd prefer for someone to take pride in their work than be falsely modest...some part of them must want to have been heard I guess

it's a complicated topic

John confirmed for shit taste

someone wanna confirm George's favorite? I wanna say Rubber Soul but I can't recall

same, my least favourite track has the most listens

i believe both morissey and marr have gone on record saying strangeways is their favorite

>I think Lennon's favorite is the White Album, and Paul's is Sgt. Pepper. Correct me if Im wrong.
John changed his opinion all the time. He called Sgt pepper a load of overproduced crap during his stripped down "I just wanna play live" phase, then a few years later was making overproduced crap with Phil Spector.

Pretty sure Kanye likes 808's and Yeezus the most.

I think this is Rick and David's favourite Pink Floyd album. I'm inclined to agree.

I just read that he said he favorite was Rubber Soul at some point.

Quadrophenia is the best

He talks endlessly about The College Dropout but yeah 808's

This is an interesting thought.

I have always been an Intentionalist, in that when examining art you must always take into account artistic intent and the context in which it was created. The critic then becomes secondary in nature to then whims of the artist.

BUT once the art is created, the artist steps back and becomes the critic. Their assessment of their own art is about equal to ours, assuming we know as much about intent/context of course. So naturally an artist could prefer one of their inferior albums, depending on how he views it rather than any substantial analysis.

I think Morrissey and Johnny both consider Strangeways to be the best Smiths albums, but the general consensus is that The Queen is Dead is their best.