Headphones General

Can we get a /headphones/ general going?
I'm thinking about buying pic related 'cause I want over-ear noise-proof and don't want to spend much more than $300.

But I'm open to suggestions of something different. Right now all I have are my apple earbuds so almost anything is going to be a step up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F0G6JGHbXwE
youtube.com/watch?v=G3JgQ9GZyM4
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-GM-Gun-Metal-Resolution/dp/B00OTADUJA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sennheiser HD600s are down to around $340 on amazon, so you can probably find them even cheaper elsewhere. I'm a little out of the loop as far as recent models go, but those or HD650s would have been my recommendation for anything under $500 a couple years ago.

What's the sound like on them though? I listen to a lot of electronic/noise like Fuck Buttons, HEALTH, Ben Frost, so I'm looking for really good highs and bass. Don't want to sacrifice the mids entirely 'cause I like some post-rock and post-hardcore too, but I think... I guess you could call it the "v shape" sound is what I'm looking for.

not him but I can tell you they're easily better than anything in Bose's lineup

What makes them better though? Like not that I doubt you, just curious to hear the reasons. I've definitely noticed in the past that Sup Forums leans towards eschewing Bose in favor of lesser known brands but I haven't really heard why.

In the past I used Creative Aurvana Live! headphones and they were decent but not quite as isolating as I would have preferred. Pretty solid for only $100 though.

Bose have Monster/Beats by Dre thing going in where their headphones are priced 1.5-2x what they're worth. Not bad but Sennheiser and Audii-Technica actually give you the best per price range depending on what you want

Aw damn really? I knew to steer clear of Beats but I didn't know Bose was the same.

Little on the warm side, I'd say. They really shine for every style of music imo, but the mids are king. You won't be disappointed by the highs, but you might be if you're looking for a really aggressive, thumping bass sound.

those are open back. make sure you at least get closed phones if you are looking to block out background noise. Canalphones/iems are generally the best at passive isolation. Active noise cancelling are usually not audiophile quality from what I've read. Really it depends on your needs

youtube.com/watch?v=F0G6JGHbXwE

I really like to feel the punch of the bass when I listen to songs like this youtube.com/watch?v=G3JgQ9GZyM4 so warm might not be what I'm looking for. I definitely don't need Beats level bass but I don't want to sacrifice it.

Yeah, the times I've used my friend's high quality IEMs it's been great isolation, but I like the experience / "stage sound" of over ear headphones. What I'm reading while poking around seems to agree in general that active noise cancelling ruins the sound some. I just need something to block out Elle King and "Take Me To Church" for the 800th time when I'm at the gym.

Thanks to both of you for sure for your input so far though!

Yeah I'd listen to and go for closed then. HD650s can handle that reasonably well when driven properly, but you'd be blowing a hell of a lot more money than you need to.

Helpful link, thanks!

Yeah I've been saving for awhile and really don't want to spend more than I need. Even $300 is pushing it a little but it'll be worth it.

Noise canceling is also known to negtively impact the sound of your music. Get some MSR7s or Oppo Pm3s if you want good headphones for portability.

These?
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-GM-Gun-Metal-Resolution/dp/B00OTADUJA

also those are shit. the anc is decent but that's all there is to it, some of the most overpriced headphones ive seen

What is an anc?

Guys, my earphones (inner ears) died today. What are some good ones to invest in? I've been using the apple ones lol...

Another apple

these are hideous as fuck but damn I love them. I switch between them & my lcd-x.

Running them from a project ember hybrid tube amp or a meier corda ss amp. my fostex hp-a4 as dac. Not the most expensive or 'audiophile' set up in the world, but more than enough for me

I just got a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50x
I like them a lot

Leathery or velour?

great brand, only thing I don't like about them are unremovable cables on their more expensive models

great cans btw, awesome lower end

What overear headphones can Sup Forums recommend for the gym? I don't want to waste a lot on a pair I'm just going to sweat over and I'm tired of buying cheap $20 pairs that break after a month.

> Over ear
> For the gym
You're going full retard user.

budget?

Audio Technica ath-m50xs like this user has a great portable can. you can drive them with your phone too. definitely a more darker bass-heavy sound signature. I don't know what your preference is? if you're lifting I guess you like power/motivating music so they'll be perfect for that

I have weird ears and buds always pop out after like a minute.
Kek those are the exact headphones I use at home and consider them "nice". I wouldn't want to sweat all over them tho.
Maybe something a little cheaper?

pleather isolates better, but velour breathes better

senheiser urbanite xl or sennheiser momentum ( the 2.0's are overpriced)
for 100 bucks more you can buy the urbanite wireless which is awesome when lifting. ( I use them for that)

how's the m40x's compared to the m50x's

Maybe l get those then. You really don't think anything about sweating over a pair of $100 headphones?

What's your most expensive pair and what do you use it for?

The Sennheiser HD202 are usually around 20$ and have a pretty nice build quality and a bassy sound that I like a lot. Probably my favorite pair of budget headphones. Good build quality (mine saw about a year of constant use, they still work but I got better stuff now) and great sound for the price. The only downside is that the cable is 3 meters long but it includes a really nice cable winder you can easily clip to your shorts.
The Monoprice DJ is also supposedly really good and has a detachable cable but I haven't tried there.
Anything else I've tried in the budget price range is usually trash desu

pic related: audeze lcd-x are my most expensive. 1700 dollars. but orgasmic sound.
you need a good amp for them to shine which is more money but I enjoy music so much I don't care spending so much on audio equipment

and yeah, those are good cans, the sennies, you can go even cheaper but then they'll break faster and have a really muddy sound signature. so it's your call really

> Sweating all over a 200$ pair of headphones
Fuck off king midas

When I say they break what I mean is that something always goes wrong with the wiring and sounds like shit/underwater. I'll keep those in mind, but do you know a pair that's even cheaper? Maybe 50?

>tinnitus-phones
no thanks

problem is with cans in the bottom price range, apart from muddy sound, that the build quality is utter shit & the cable unremovable so when you fuck up the jack or the flimsy cheap cable gets ripped you always have to buy a new one

that's why it's better to invest in 100 dollar cans. it's and investment. and if you sweat too much you can remove the pads, clean the headband, change the cable

Where's the cheapest i can get an m50x? aren't these headhpones like 5 years old why are they still 120 dollars?

Because Sup Forums memeing them into meme status
Get the 40x, basically the same thing but way cheaper

that's actually what i meant to say, my b. i'm looking at the m40x but it doesn't come with a short cable and also idk if there's an even more discounted price somewhere or not

These are nice. Balanced sound, but not a lot on the low end.

I'm right next door to deaf, so I can't afford to blast music into my ears. I really like how they let me have full sound without huge decibel levels.