/classical/

Wind and brass edition.
Post your favorite compositions that primarily feature wind and brass.
>inb4 how do I into classical posts
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
crudblud.sjm.so/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=70EjszFOAkE
youtube.com/watch?v=scoyemlPtQc
youtube.com/watch?v=ufGl19HiAC0
youtube.com/watch?v=ok_4GYJb2ow
youtube.com/watch?v=pky3bBEAMF4
youtube.com/watch?v=Wr8l-IU2PCM&index=9&list=PL7E4107F753B7446A
throwcase.com/2015/04/27/hindemith/
youtube.com/watch?v=KxTAvkDFaRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UGQBef6D9sY
youtube.com/watch?v=tCnctwMgceY
youtube.com/watch?v=2fs6z3HOJVk
youtube.com/watch?v=uJExH-f7Zzs
youtube.com/watch?v=MkTRoW1sXAc
youtube.com/watch?v=Yp2Ft_z31fM
youtube.com/watch?v=RQibHpIvGdE
youtube.com/watch?v=6sHnQKs8LUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reminder that this is the best recording of Mozart's horn concerti

Thanks. I've been meaning to listen to Mozart's horn concerti for some time.

Brain was basically the best horn player to have lived, at least in the recording age.

It's unfortunate he never got to record all of them with a better Mozart conductor though, he has a recording of the 3rd concerto with Rosbaud, Shame they never recorded all of them together.

I'm reading about his tragic and premature death now. So sad.

Beethoven's 8th features a lot of nice winds moments. Like in the second movement, when the winds through the motifs at each other. The best part is the fourth movement, when the theme is played over the bassoons, it's just too lovely.

Best recording on youtube:
youtube.com/watch?v=70EjszFOAkE

The second movement of Paul Hindemiths symphonic metamorphosis over themes from Carl Maria von Weber features a lot of wind and brass.

youtube.com/watch?v=scoyemlPtQc

youtube.com/watch?v=ufGl19HiAC0

youtube.com/watch?v=ok_4GYJb2ow
youtube.com/watch?v=pky3bBEAMF4

Can someone tell me the name of the song at 2:20?
youtube.com/watch?v=Wr8l-IU2PCM&index=9&list=PL7E4107F753B7446A

I really think Paul Hindemith is one of the best second-rate composers. Along with Grieg.

I really like this movement :D. Especially when the timpani enter.

This is a very nice interpretation as well.

Bach Cello Suite No. 1. Movement 1: Prelude.

Why is Grieg a second-rate composer?

He's great, but he never achieved the heights of, say, Bartók, Prokofiev, Debussy or Ravel.

>Ravel

uh

What are some good allegro/presto piano pieces for a beginner? Especially homophonic ones with a melody in one hand and an accompanimental figure in another.

I tend to write only what I can personally play without much practice, so any piano part I compose is usually slow and legato, because that's what I know how to play.

Mikrokosmos

Fair enough.

Don't really browse /classical/ but just dropping in to say Dennis Brain was fucking incredible.

Did not mean to make that a reply

Hindemith's solos are always so flattering for the instruments they're for.

throwcase.com/2015/04/27/hindemith/

Bump

Any other essential horn pieces, except for Mozart and this album? I need some recs.

Carter's horn concerto & Brahms' horn trio.

Thanks. Will listen to those, too.

Who else wrote good chamber music featuring horns?

youtube.com/watch?v=KxTAvkDFaRQ
The two horns play major parts in the opening chorus, and comes back for the chorale. They don't play during the middle movements though.

Has anybody by chance got pic related in their collection? Can't torrent right now and I can't find a dd or stream either.

youtube.com/watch?v=UGQBef6D9sY

doh
>pic related

It seems to me that Grieg is underrated because the genres within which he shone brightest aren't genres that most people associate with "great works". His piano miniatures can hold their own against those of any other composer from his generation, and he also wrote better songs than any of the people just listed.

I could definitely understand calling him second-rate on the basis of the Piano Concerto and the String Quartet and the other well-known large works, but those give an incomplete picture of his achievements.

90% sure i do i can check in a couple hours when i'm home. how do i get it to you?

Ahh, I'd really appreciate that.

Have you got a Mega account?

negative. is there any easy no signup/minimal signup vitrifaction whatever required file sharing service that's popular these days?

If it's smaller than 200MB you can put it on zippyshare

Where else does one go if they want HUGE works like Mass In B Minor or The Planets? I am really intrigued with these behemoths that go beyond just the symphony in terms of scale.

>large scale piece for choir and orchestra
Ein deutsches Requiem
>programmatic orchestral suite
Scheherazade

opera?

>tfw all your piano music sounds like jazz
>tfw you cant write for piano worth a shit
>tfw you cant into classical forms
fml

Edgy as fuck

nice quads

These were just what I was looking for thanks.

Nah. I don't mind choral parts, but still not necessarily an opera.

You might wanna look more into theory if this is becoming a problem. Even if you already know it pretty well might wanna look back at old notes and stuff.

I want to post what I just wrote here but I feel like I'd just get laughed it. Literally sounds like second rate jazz imo. Any books (preferably online) you cold recommend?

Somebody just posted the composition general. All the online resources you'll need are there, and you should post your thing there, too.

Not him, but just stick to a circle of fifths progression-type progression, simple stuff and you should get out of the jazz sound.

This general

Ok thanks pham.

Might as well post something /classical/ too.
youtube.com/watch?v=tCnctwMgceY

What do you guys think of the Poulenc piano concerto?

Schubert wrote that song for horn, voice and piano that's quite nice. Auf Dem Strom.

>that moment at the end of the cadenza at the end of the first movement of Prokofiev's piano concerto when the brass smashes through the frantic piano like some sort of titanic monster

More Dennis Brain.
youtube.com/watch?v=2fs6z3HOJVk
youtube.com/watch?v=uJExH-f7Zzs
youtube.com/watch?v=MkTRoW1sXAc

Mahler occasionally employs choir, and every one of his symphonies are pretty large.
You might want to check out "Earth Dances" by Harriosn Birtwistle. It's newer, but also utlizes a huge orchestra.

Seconding If you haven't already, perhaps you may want to check out Mahler's Symphonies? They're pretty massive

That isn't necessarily bad. You could try to incorporate various forms into your music as Kurt Weill did.

who is the best composer of chamber music and why is it a tubby mushroom?

I have been holding off on checking out Mahler, but I guess it's about time. Thanks guys.

Earth Dances is doing it for me, too. It's surprisingly cinematic kinda makes me feel like I am listening to a big boy version of something from John Williams or Hans Zimmer (both half decent and generic Zimmer.) Oh man idk about you guys, but when I hear so many moving parts in music work so well together it puts me in like idk how to explain it but I feel like I am high without actually getting high.

Was the beginning part supposed to sound slightly Romantic before he totally veers off in a different direction?

Posting Bohme trumpet concerto again
youtube.com/watch?v=Yp2Ft_z31fM

Call it firetruck shit if you want, I think it's nice.

Tubba blubba.

Why are women such plebs when it comes to classical? Even those who major in music know jack shit about it.

The first major composer was a woman though. : / Also that doesn't take into account female singers.

Female singers have about as much understanding of the music they're singing as a circus monkey does of the physics behind his trick.

Whatever you say.

Friendly reminder that Schub's String quintet in C is the GOAT chamber piece, after op. 131 of course.
youtube.com/watch?v=RQibHpIvGdE

fptmiu

You admit I am right.

>death and the maiden
edge

if loving that piece is edgy give me my katana and sign me up for the #vapenation revolution.

Disgusting. They probably underrate his choral works too

>shitnittke
It's like you're trying to prove his point.

damn straight.

>those slags
>anything but pleb

I hate to agree with Poly but Schnittke is good.

Threadly reminder that 15 > 14

>Was the beginning part supposed to sound slightly Romantic before he totally veers off in a different direction?
Honestly not out of character for Poulenc

When will this meme finally die an overdue death?

shit im sorry turns out i dont have it. i definitely had it at some point but i can't find it on my harddrive right now :| good luck with the search

When /r9k/ leaves.

When will women die? When betas stop orbiting.

Grieg is first rate. Its not disputed

Grieg is more well known and respected than all of those composers put together

I like Grieg too but the average classical fan probably has a higher respect for Debussy or Ravel than Grieg.

Thanks for checking anyway. Worst case scenario is I buy it used from Amazon.

The winds in Mozart's piano concertos are pretty prominent.

>tfw lilypond typesets oblique ascending ligatures as B-B instead of L-B

What's this from?

"The unreal world of alfred schnittke"

Its on youtube. really cool documentary, and insight into the composers life and works
youtube.com/watch?v=6sHnQKs8LUM

Thanks.

>Grieg
>more respected than Bartok or Debussy