Black metal

why is /metal/ so retarded when it comes to black metal? BM is the only genre of metal today that is still actively evolving and producing exciting new music. every other metal genre has stagnated to the point where there's no reason to even keep up with new releases.

that's why /metal/ is such a garbage general. it's chock full of shitposting because you can only discuss the same ten classic albums for so long. it's time to look towards the future you stubborn assholes.

with that, let's have a black metal general. And in the spirit of progression, let's try to focus on good new releases. we all already know about darkthrone, emporor, immortal, etc

pic related is one of my favorite albums from last year. iceland is putting out some fantastic stuff right now. i can't wait for the new wormlust

Other urls found in this thread:

jutegyte.bandcamp.com/
spectrallore.bandcamp.com/album/iii
krallice.bandcamp.com/album/ygg-huur
nightkin.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=kzeh7HFK-GM
youtube.com/watch?v=IW6h0lhXW3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=NG67MoJGmvE
youtube.com/watch?v=btnWAwQnBAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jd2nCXS07Ps
youtube.com/watch?v=Bozqh6uN7QE
youtube.com/watch?v=NZyB7xA_HQQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stop.

bumping with a new jute gyte album that just came out a couple days ago. this shit is insanely weird

jutegyte.bandcamp.com/

you're the cancer that i was talking about. and you don't even have a reasonable rebuttal. that may as well be another shitpost. go back to the thread that you already helped to kill and leave mine alone

Splintering /metal/ will only create two separate problems, that's the cripplechan approach to things. Next thing you know every subgenre will have their own general and discussion'll be dead since it'll be the same small hivemind in each thread.
>BM is the only genre of metal today that is still actively evolving and producing exciting new music.
Because of fucking what? Blackgaze? orthodox BM? Blackened post-hardcore? I'll agree that black metal is going through the most changes but it's mainly because of [insert band] mixing black metal with some non-metal genre

You're the reason both black metal and /metal/ are shit, fuck off hipster faggot

>Because of fucking what? Blackgaze? orthodox BM? Blackened post-hardcore?
i'm not talking about specific micro sub-sub genres. i'm just saying that generally there is more experimentation and evolution in new black metal releases. Whereas any modern doom, sludge, death, and thrash is almost invariably stale revivalism.

sure there are bands that are just fusing bm with other genres, and for the most part i don't think that's all that interesting, but what about the two albums that i just posted? what about pic related? i will continue to bump with albums that i think are worthy of praise for being forward-thinking.

i would prefer to not have to splinter from /metal/ but it's gotten to the point where it's literally impossible to discuss black metal there because everybody will shitpost you into oblivion with
>atmoshitter
>hipster
>don't actually like metal
etc

and this is EXACTLY what i'm talking about here

another great modern bm album. there's no pretense here. this guy is just composing some kickass convoluted black metal

spectrallore.bandcamp.com/album/iii

>Misþyrming
Standard orthodox BM with extra cavernous production. It had a few cool riffs here and ther but the majority of the slower passages and blasting over dissonant chords moments I found to be uninteresting, the drumming was the best part about it.
>new Leviathan
Slow doomy dissonant chords, stock Leviathan blasting over tremelo picked riffs, and some varying vocal/guitar/keyboard effects and samples. Both are standard orthodox BM worship that goes for that cavernous and chaotic feel with a few good riffs interspersed between forgettable dissonance

>Both are standard orthodox BM worship that goes for that cavernous and chaotic feel with a few good riffs interspersed between forgettable dissonance
although i think it's pretty easy to trivialize any album by breaking them down this way, even if they are standard orthodox bm/dissoshit/whatever you want to call it, at least that style is something new that has only started to come into shape within the past decade.

sure they're not doing anything completely original, but they're still experimenting with a relatively new style of writing black metal.

also you didn't comment on the jute gyte album

Jeez how boundary-pushing
Also I didn't see that you mentioned Jule Gyte until after this post, sorry. Granted I couldn't comment on it because I never gave it a listen, the dude has too many albums for me to care exploring and judging from the scene he's in, I doubt I'll like it

This albu is damn good. Interested to see what he does next. The Gnosis ep was promising too

>Jeez how boundary-pushing
hey man, like i said, it's better than most of the uninspired mediocrity that's coming out of other metal subgenres these days.

and don't even get me started on this gem. the fact that this album was so overlooked here just goes to show how much this board prioritizes hype over actual musical content

krallice.bandcamp.com/album/ygg-huur

0/10

>Interested to see what he does next
yeah i remember reading somewhere last /nbbmn/ that he was planning on releasing 3 new ep's. one electronic one (voyager), one black metal one (gnosis), and one classical one, which has yet to be released. so i'm pretty hype. i agree though gnosis was really cool too. i love the middle-eastern vibes on it. kind of reminds me of a black metal OM

black metal om is a really good description actually. I didn't enjoy voyager, but to be fair, there are very few black metal acts that have done ambient well imo

>black metal specific general
>autistic anons arguing over nothing
What a surprise

This album was hyped on /metal/. Its okay but has nothing on their early work. Mick Barr is going on to bigger and better things. Namely brutal death

yeah i wasn't a huge fan of voyager either. not that there was anything inherently bad about it. it just didn't really capture my attention. like you said, it's hard to make an ambient album as a bm artist that stands out, because it's already been done so many times.

>implying that isn't exactly what happens in /metal/ also

>Mick Barr is going on to bigger and better things. Namely brutal death
man i hope not. i really wan't to hear another krallice release. i'm cool if they just decide to work more tech death influence into their sound like they did on ygg huur.

/metal/ often has a rightfully elitist mindset. They'll call out dumb atmoshit or some kind of hipster junk. Everything you have posted here is gimmicky nonsense rather than stuff that's actually pushing metal's boundaries. Of course you aren't going to like metal because you don't actually like metal for what it is and need stupid ADHD tier gimmicks to keep your attention.

you can't seriously base your entire argument on the fact that all of these albums are gimmicky. you've deluded yourself into thinking anything that deviates from the formula is a gimmick.

there was quite obviously a ton of hard work that went into the composition of these albums, but you're going to ignore that because they don't sound like darkthrone

>BM is the only genre of metal today that is still actively evolving and producing exciting new music
i'm sincerely sorry for your parents, user.

ok user prove me wrong

>black metal general
>oh neato now i ca-
>autism
oh

This is what is implied, yes.

Name me a single good black metal album
>protip: you can't

That's not true though. For example, lets look at two bands who have sort of broken ground in metal using a similar technique: a serialism style coming from classical music.

Demilich used it in their death metal to give the genre a new way of portraying an eldritch atmosphere. But to most people this really isn't that obvious that they were actually using it.

Then you have someone like Behold The Arctopus. They have based themselves more on telling than showing. It's all about "look at how technical we are and we use cool techniques!" Serialism for them is a gimmick rather than a means to make good music.

not him but
>I hate black metal
>you can only prove me wrong by posting a good black metal album
do you not see the issue here?

I know for fact that there is no such thing as a good black metal album
therefore, he will never be able to prove me wrong

If you have already determined that black is bad, and it is impossible for anyone to convince you otherwise, why are you even discussing it in the first place? seems like a massive waste of everyone's time.

Nightkin put out a new album in February.
nightkin.bandcamp.com/

>Drums by Chris Trestain (Don't know history)
>Vocals by Mike McKenzie (Red Chord)
>Guitars and bass by David Lock (BDM - Miasma)

Pretty good, I listened to it a couple times last night. Public Execution and My Work Is Not Yet Done are my two favourites currently.

>look at how technical we are and we use cool techniques
was that am actual statement from the band then?

Any opinions on pic related? I thought it was a bit of a departure from Eater of Birds and Gin. I really like the more southern swampy feel over outright black metal. Very impressive considering the lineup change

I don't like it, and consider it worse than either of the albums you also mentioned.

While i enjoyed it quite a bit, I have to agree that the other two abums are still better.

tons of people were masturbating to misthyrming before the debut even came out, stop the bullshit

Not the way I paraphrased it, but yeah. Though whether they say it or not shouldn't be the problem here as it's the music itself that's more responsible for that.

i assure you user, you can still do whatever it was you wanted to do

sounds like dissoshit

it is insanely weird, nothing really caught my attention when I listened to some of it, but I'd have to listen to the entire thing to give an informed opinion

OK, this one I'll give a proper listen, brb in like 2 hours or however long this shit is

>Nightkin
I want tumblr to leave

you're basing your argument on the assumption that your subjective interpretation of the music of these bands.
>But to most people this really isn't that obvious that they were actually using it.
that's an assumption. you can't speak for anyone other than yourself

>"look at how technical we are and we use cool techniques!"
assaid, they never actually said anything like this. it's just your interpretation.

i understand that some approaches to composition are more subtle, while some are more flashy, but neither are inherently better than the other.

not even the best black metal album of last year

>sounds like dissoshit
>implying dissoshit is bad

it doesn't matter if it's good or bad, it's overdone

you can't argue that something is inventive when things very much like it already existed for years

It made people think I listen to Nightkin when I tell them I listen to Black Metal

what's your favorite?

everyone post their vote for best 2015 bm album. mine is probably either or pic related

oh well that's implying that all dissoshit sounds exactly the same. sure it's not necessarily a new idea, but they're certainly tweaking the formula. that's one of the most complex metal albums i've ever heard.

also, i kinda already went over this here>sure they're not doing anything completely original, but they're still experimenting with a relatively new style of writing black metal.

I literally replied to the other person that BTA has mentioned before about their music being around a combo of metal and modern classical techniques. Even the guys the techniques are inspired from didn't base their work around it the way these guys do. Technique is the end to BTA, while to Demilich and composers like Schoenberg it's a means.

>that's an assumption. you can't speak for anyone other than yourself
No it isn't. Most people who like Nespithe wouldn't be able to point out the serialism used in the album. For the sake of this topic it's mentioned because OP wants more gimmicky ADHD changes in metal that weaken the songwriting rather than the actual changes in metal which are far more subtle.

>i understand that some approaches to composition are more subtle, while some are more flashy, but neither are inherently better than the other.
That is totally not what I am trying to say. Bands like maudlin of the Well and Deathspell Omega are far flashier in their attempts at doing what hasn't been done in metal before, but to them those things are still the means, not the end itself.

I'm arguing they're not really tweaking the formula, but just using the formula to create yet another dissonant-sounding album

Blut Aus Nord released The Work Which Transforms God in 2003

Death Spell Omega released Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum in 2007

just mix either of those with Behold... The Arctopus and you get Ygg Huur

so I guess the innovation is it's more mathy? It just doesn't seem very exciting to me, only tiring

>so I guess the innovation is it's more mathy?
yeah that's pretty much what i'm saying. i'd agree that it's super tiring. i didn't really start to appreciate it until i had already listened to it many times

>OP wants more gimmicky ADHD changes in metal that weaken the songwriting rather than the actual changes in metal which are far more subtle.
do you see what you're saying here? you're essentially saying that you prefer subtlety over more flashy, explicit changes. that's totally fine, but you can't say that the "gimmicky" changes objectively weaken the songwriting.

i agree that prioritizing ambience over songwriting is a problem that plagues the more minimal approaches to atmoshit, but all of the albums that have been posted have very calculated and nuanced songwriting.

whether you like the music or not, there was definitely a lot of thought put into it

Just because thought was put into it doesn't make it good (Michael Jackson's Invincible.)

yeah but what i'm saying is that it all boils down to subjectivity. you can't say that these albums are shit because they're relying on a gimmick that compensates for a lack of compositional ability.

yes, they're not as subtle as some other approaches to metal. yes, that might be your personal reasoning for disliking them. but no they're not objectively shit

I can't keep a straight face when listening to jute gyte sometimes, at some points it sounds just like if people tried to make black metal without tuning their instruments, yet at the same time it's perfectly in time and well produced.

I get that music taste is subjective...but to a certain point. A lot of these bands have the same if not worse composition ability than generic shit on the radio. Trying to make metal, then essentially disregarding what the metal genre has to offer among the various forms of music in the world is dumb as hell no matter which way you look at it.

pretty much haha i get the same exact feeling from listening to striborg too. they're both just so far out there, but you know it's intentional judging by how well-executed it sounds

>A lot of these bands have the same if not worse composition ability than generic shit on the radio
oh, my apologies. i was under the assumption that you had at least a basic understanding of music theory

It's good to see you again, my love.

the presence of repeating digits is strong itt

anyone?

depends what you like about taake. if you're looking for more melodic stuff you should check out greek black metal like rotting christ, although it doesn't have nearly as many blasts or tremolos.
youtube.com/watch?v=kzeh7HFK-GM

you would probably also like windir if you haven't already heard them
youtube.com/watch?v=IW6h0lhXW3Q

This shit is completely bonkers, I love it.

its all the same shit, thats why its actually dying and nobody is listening to it.

what do you mean by 'it'? black metal or metal in general?

It doesn't matter because he's wrong in both cases.

trve

yeah jute gyte is seriously on one. it's hard to believe his music is even real

>listen to two hunters for the first time
>first track gives me ultra cancer
>rest of the album is fantastic
wew, didn't expect that. Is the rest of their discog good too?

i honestly don't like most of their stuff but their last ambient album was surprisingly great. really epic, emotional pieces

diadem of 12 stars is their best, their other material is also good except their half-baked ambient album celestite. I'll just listen to an actual ambient producer if i want that kind of music

lol literally exactly the opposite opinions

I adore this album, it's like a dream collab between Tangerine Dream and Sunn O)))

I'm always in /NBBMN/ but last year there was a lot of shitposting in the threads, and nobody shared rare albums like years before. I hope this november will be different.

It will be different. It will be worse.

Yeah, that's what I think.

really? i had a great time with /nbbmn/ last year. if this year was better than that then i would be stoked

Opinions on Wolfheart by Moonspell?

So, what are the best black metal records of the year so far?

never heard of it before. listening for the first time and so far it sounds kinda cheesy but still pretty dank. i didn't know portugal did metal

Yeah the synths and vocals are kind of cheesy, vox more-so than the synths but I think the singer pulls it off well enough and doesn't suck so much that it's bearable. I'm vibing with it right now to be honest, think it's sweet.

here are some of mine. i don't think this year has been all that great for BM desu but there have still been some good releases
youtube.com/watch?v=btnWAwQnBAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jd2nCXS07Ps
youtube.com/watch?v=Bozqh6uN7QE

and by mine i mean my favorites

Anything else like pic related worth checking out?

if you like that album you should definitely check this one out. it's got that same gothic, melodic vibe
youtube.com/watch?v=NZyB7xA_HQQ

dont expect anything as good as two hunters

Thanks for the rec family, will check it out

I didn't know Krallice released another album. Gonna check it out. Also, what do you think of the new Aluk Todolo?

>the only genre that is still evolving
i dont know man doom metal is going through some stuff right now. Check out Subrosa, Pallbearer, Yob, and Elder just to name a few off the top of my head.

None of those push the genre forward

its a very different sound from stuff like electric wizard and sleep and earlier bands

No.

Not really, and are those the only earlier doom bands you know?

I know more those were just some examples. Can you elaborate on why you say they dont sound different?

>No
considering that black metal was founded in nihilism, that's the spirit

it's not really a new or an album haha it's an ep of material that they recorded during the years past matter sessions, and released this year. it's still really good though

i haven't listened to the new aluk todolo. haven't even heard of them before. would you recommend it?

Well Pallbearer is explicitly and intentionally throwback shit, and the same could be said for Elder, although they have a reasonably varied sound, but it's nothing evolutionary. Yob are good but they've been around so long they're not doing anything new at all. Subrosa isn't doing anything of creative value really, None of them at this point are really pushing any envelopes, although Yob did at one point.

Prove it.

pretty good corsetcore