What would you say is Philip Glass's best work?

What would you say is Philip Glass's best work?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ySGfGr7JsU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sodium silicate.

music in twelve parts

Melodies for Saxophone

Its fairly short and doesn't rely too heavily on repetition (compared to his other works)

The one where he plays looped arpeggios for 12 minutes

That fucking Koyaanisqtasi soundtrack

Correct answer, coming through...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ySGfGr7JsU

You can ignore every answer ITT because it's Einstein On The Beach.

hasn't listened to Glass beyond Glassworks.

Satyagraha, Hydrogen Jukebox or Koyaanisqtasi

Einstein is cringeworthy and needs an editor.

Either Tirol Concerto or Satyagraha

North Star

Makes great use of electric organs and voice. it sounds closer to Terry Riley or David Borden then his blockbuster movie soundtrack sounding shit.

To be fair I haven't heard all his work only because once I listened to a great chunk of it I started to realize it was all the same.

Anyone who posts a piece outside of the 1970's is a teenager who hasn't listened to anything good by Glass.
yes
interesting
kill yourself
no
eh
yes
no
kill yourself
fuck your einstein opinion
no
yes
no

>and doesn't rely too heavily on repetition
What did he mean by this?

what's that one called?

Is your post an attempt to portray the worst of his bland repetitive minimalism

His solo cello works are worth a listen too

>no knock knock joke

>anything outside of the 1970's is not good
You're a fucking idiot, m8

Outside of the 70's he stopped composing his interesting music, which was his Minimalist music. He moved into a style where he has tried to be more Neoclassical. It hasn't worked out for him because whereas the old style sounds/ed fresh and modern the new stuff sounds cheesy and cliche. You can't listen to the 8th Symphony and say it's a great work, same with Glassworks and similar.

>You can't listen to the 8th Symphony and say it's a great work

Depends on who you ask though

It's literally fucking Doctor Who music.
It's trashy, poorly written, contrapuntally confused music.

Probably Pure Guava or the Mollusk

I like North Star a lot

kej

Glassworks

Well first of all, although I wouldn't, I'm pretty sure I CAN say that his 8th is a great work.

He's made some great minimalist pieces, but his orchestral pieces are his orchestral pieces, and I dont think that he was TRYING to be neoclassical -- that's just a ridiculous assertion.

Two Pages

>and I dont think that he was TRYING to be neoclassical
Yeah obviously he wasn't.
He just started writing Concertos, String Quartets, and Symphonies in a tonal, Western style.

You're a fucking moron.

What the fuck else was he going to do? Start making Noise? What else could possibly done with his brand of minimalism -- it's an intrinsically self-limiting approach.

As far as im concerned, saying that he was "trying to be more neoclassical" implies that he was attempting to conform to something that went against his intuition. I don't believe it did. And I think that if you look at the work of minimalists who stuck to their rigid ideology, they're oeuvre is almost always monotonous and boring AF.

But the fact is, Glass was always very melodic, and so it makes complete sense that he would want to branch out.

>What the fuck else was he going to do?
So now your changing your argument? Man I can tell you're a baby kid.

His work on the new Fantastic 4 movie is nothing but... fantastic

Again, an entirely subjective point. No need for swearing either

Ok kid... I guess I'm a baby kid. And I didn't exactly change my argument, kid