ITT: Great Various Artists Compilations

pic related, it's the GOAT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f0dna4AzVts
youtube.com/watch?v=yn1S6LntHCg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cool idea for a post, too bad it didn't gain any traction. Pic related is up there for sure.

No New York, New York Noise, Blank Generation The New York Scene the list goes on...

Because according to Sup Forums (who is one person btw) compilations aren't albums.

HOW MUCH IS THE FISH

HOW MUCH IS THE CHIPS

DOES THE FISH HAVE CHIPS

there ought to be a law against you

That's probably the best song on the album, though I have a soft spot for Breaking Lines

The Great Complotto / Pordenone

It's definitely top 5, I'd put Celestial City and Therese ahead of it though.
On that note, do you have any clue what the lyrics to Celestial City are?

Also Breaking Lines makes me want to listen to a lot of Pastels albums, but I can't find any of them for reasonable prices.

Gullible's Travels is one of my favourite songs
that song by McCarthy was also damn good, I think it was called Celestial City
Let's not forget Lazy by the Primitives, what a jam
Basically, I fucking love that compilation, twee pop is the GOAT genre

Guess I need to give Celestial City another listen. It's crazy how different tracks really stand out from listen to listen.

Top 5 songs on the expanded comp:
1. Another Side to Mrs Quill
2. I Don't Need You
3. Celestial City
4. Sweet Revenge
5. Therese

The only bad song is Spider Psychiatry

oh my god how did I forget avout Another Side to Mrs Quill?!
That song is shockingly good, like seriously
I have to agree on your opinion on Spider Psychiatry, it just kills the mood

oh yes, you have to check it out! It's one of the best jangle songs (in my opinion)

mrs quill is the best sad dance party song

I listen to the box set of this in full about 1 or 2 times a year, and it's almost as good as C86.

My pick isn't quite as good as a couple others here, but it's a decent album and one of the best glimpses into the CBGB scene. Mink DeVille is amazing and hearing his formative stuff makes it totally worthwhile. The Shirts tracks are also really good (note that the drummer of The Shirts later became Richie Ramone in the mid 80s, and was probably the greatest drummer the Ramones ever had)

never actually heard this comp, but I love the C86 bands I've heard - The Wedding Present is my favorite band, and I love the Pastels. There are also some fantastic songs by McCarthy, The Mighty Lemon Drops, Shop Assistants, Close Lobsters, and The Vaselines, among others.

There are definitely some great no wave comps, especially the first two you mention. If punk was a singles movement, then no wave was, like, a random song movement, though there are obviously a lot of great songs by DNA, Mars, James Chance, and Rosa Yemen.

forgot the pic

here, a couple of take away tracks: youtube.com/watch?v=f0dna4AzVts
youtube.com/watch?v=yn1S6LntHCg

The Hyper Denpa Collections

Correct answer

This is essential and overlooked. It's one of the first, maybe THE first, emo compilation ever, from the mid 90s. It has tracks from pretty much every major emo band of that era, before the scene was well known or kept track of. Way ahead of its time, and kind of astonishing it exists.

For all my weebs out there

it sounds interesting