/experimental/

Hello friends, this is a thread for experimental music discussion. To clarify: Noise, drone, electroacoustic, free improvisation, futurism, indeterminacy, musique concrete, sound collage, and all that good stuff.

What have you been listening to? What have you been making? Movie and literature recommendations, concert experiences, gear, etc. are all welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

ubu.com/film/nitsch_six.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LUgpSZ2XYpE
sidneywilde.bandcamp.com/album/better-days
youtube.com/watch?v=iHsCcMvHbJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=aBJ6DAMQ7WI
errorhominido.bandcamp.com/
soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>he thinks "Noise, drone, electroacoustic, free improvisation, futurism, indeterminacy, musique concrete, sound collage, and all that good stuff" still classifies as experimental music in 2016

lmao

>he's probably one of those RYM teenagers who wrote laughable and over-the-top gushing reviews of the equally laughable new Gerogerigegege album in an effort to show everyone how thoughtful and passionate he is about "experimental music"

double lmao

delete this thread

>What have you been listening to?

Been listening to this.

THE RETURN OF THE GEROGERIGEGEGE-- What did you think of it? Where's Tetsuya Endoh?

>self-promotion and babby's first noise band

i see this thread is off to a good start

>wankers who sass out genuine attempts at discourse.

Dullard: get ye gone.

Not listening to a great deal but reading David Toop's 'Into the Maelstrom' which is really very impressive. I have a lot of time for free improv - it's the most exciting stuff I've ever seen live, quite literally thrilling when at its best. It's good to see Toop tackle the subject, since he's probably the only writer alive with the breadth of scholarship to do it.

i thought it was incredible... astounding... mindblowing... so intelligent and thoughtful and IMPORTANT...
you don't understand how long i've been waiting for this album... even though i'm only 15 years old and discovered the gerogerigegege on Sup Forums 8 months ago

get fucked

>Implying Gerogerigegege isn't babby's first noise band. Fuck outta here.

>even though i'm only 15 years old
mooooods

Fully into early Dadaist works at the moment. Schwitters mostly - he was a force of nature, and the more I learn about him the more astonishing he becomes. His poems are fucking superb, and Ursonate still genuinely upsets people.

you're not very bright, are you?

I've been getting fucked for years. Your point?

OP: How does someone experiment in this day and age? Is there a sound which you can imagine which you haven't heard?

experimentation can be done with sound structure, musical structure, concept, lyricism and so on. its not only technical

Don't expect an intelligent answer from him.
The funny thing about "experimental music" fans on this board is that despite their supposed interest in more sophisticated and intelligent music, they are far more ignorant and clueless about that music than any of the people where who primarily listen to more popular and straightforward stuff.

The noise generals that used to pop up here from time to time were always a fucking laugh riot for that reason.

I've never heard of any of these people because I'm a pat

this is also true. but to be fair, the line dividing Sup Forums and the general audience is very thin. its either people who go through a lot of shitty music to find hidden gems that havent reached curators yet (producers and labels), or people who think that subpop > pop because it panders to pseudo intellectuals when its really all the same when it comes to structure and content.

nah, the gerogerigegege and merzbow are now ignored by aspiring avant-teens because of their meme status
they go for whitehouse because they don't know anything about noise and for some reason believe whitehouse to be more obscure and difficult than those bands, despite them literally being the european equivalent of merzbow(not to mention their ties to peter sotos who has been a big meme for years)

I would say that Whitehouse and Merzbow are pretty damn different because of Whitehouse' subject matter.

european equivalent of merzbow in terms of status, not style

That makes more sense, and I can agree with that. I still enjoy whitehouse, there is other good shit out there though too. I have a lot of stuff saved up that I have on a "too listen" list.

Crummer's latest is dope

I don't think that most experimental acts (as seen in this place) deal very much with context and listenership. For example, Hermann Nitsch (because he came from a specific time and place in the art world) has a very clear sense of how his music/performance is to be consumed and understood. from the perespective of one of his events (which I am still sad to say I've never been to) the very idea of recording must seem stripped of significance entirely, save by way of memory association. listening context as a structural or experimental concern never gets discussed on Sup Forums (as far as I can tell)

that stuff isn't experimental and if you really think it is I feel embarrassed for you.

>People bash everything here as not being experimental, fail to post examples of something that is "real" experimental.

see my last post ubu.com/film/nitsch_six.html

concept is the point, for me - but structurally so. In other words, making a sound piece about something is fine, but if the concept of that piece is left to standard models of consuption, then it is an impotent and unexplored model. Why not make work to be played only underwater? or that can be played only on the verge of death? or can only be pieced together by instructions gathered from difficult to access locations?

i knew someone who spent months with a dictaphone by his bed, so that when he woke he could record the first things that he could recall about his dreams. He got hours of slurry nonsense, but maybe 5 minutes of seriously very weird stuff.

That, to my mind, is truly experimental.

Who Has The Biggest Sound? by Paul Dolden is an actual experimental album.

Reminds me of the Residents in some ways.

yeah conceptual experiments are neat, but thats all they are: experiments. they arent music, or art. until you transform the experiment into something digestable, and more importantly comprehensible within the canon of (most often) visual language. i dont know why people enjoy experimental music so much if its just a prototype, i guess it induces ideas, but so does Queen's 74 live show

well - the 'not art' argument is deeply problematic IMO and has never been resolved, only discussed. In any event, without hearing the examples I'm sugesting, how might one even judge? Many death rites exist globally that are breathtakingly beautiful, for example (musically speaking) - for example Hugo Zemp's recordings of funereal music from Guadalcanal. Why could we not invent our own?

I think that the term 'experimental' has lost its way. Merzbow is a case in point; I saw him elive twice. Both times were identical in terms of his performance and how it sounded. This wasn't esperimental, it was hiding behind process and the physical effects of noise - I've seen more risks taken by teenagers with bagpipes - seriously. Context is all.

Hence my question to OP - what does it mean to truly experiment?

no your question was formal. an experiment is as it sounds. and there is a middleground between actual art and experimentalism, except historical study of a topic acknowledges both (i.e. picasso has more recognition than fernand leger when picasso's work was only influential and formal where leger had a much greater understanding of modernity).
merzbow is a joke first of all
art is whatever the artistic community agrees to be art.

>art is whatever the artistic community agrees to be art.
I believe this statement is rather cheesy. Let see it this way - a man draws a circle in a sand. Sure, it may not be "art" in general sense of the word but for this person alone, who did this action, it WAS a form of artistic expression for him. Art, in general I believe, is a form of expression, right? Sure, some things may not be "experimental" to you but for the person who makes such music/work of art it MAY be experimental and art.
Also, what makes a person be a part of artistic community? Someone with the particular knowledge about arbitrary nature of art? Or some special snowflakes?

I still fail to see the boundary between actual art and 'experimantalism' - although reading beteen the lines, I can detect a discernment between conceptualism and craft; Leger's engagment with modernity is aesthetically more machine-like, more industrial, so to speak. However, the structural grappling with the crisis in painting, gradually forced about by film and (less so) photography is no less present in Picasso. It depend on what flavour of modernity you mean.

Dolden is amazing. He might be putting out a new one in the Fall, on empreintes digitales.

Also, have you heard MC Maguire?

Yikes, you gotta clean out yer ears then...

Been digging the new Oneirogen a lot.

both right in a sense - but as I mention before, the question is vexed. the definition of art is deeply, inextricably context dependent, and hence relational. I usually defer to Alfred Gell on this one, since he at least stepped into the arena from outside of 20th century western arts discourse and proposed a system whereby you could at least assess the network of relations at play within any given 'art' situation - and they always are 'situations', don't forget. Suffice to say, nobody gets to say what art is, but it gets negotiated through interactions and contexts.

the art community is class based most people will tell you. but its also academic. its not cheesy, its the raw truth, vivian maier hoopla is proof.

theyre both cubists, picasso and braque branched off cezanne's ideas and leger contextualized it amongst others. picasso's discovery was mostly formal. id be more in depth but i dont like this format and im on my phone. experimentalism is like a study drawing in this context.

Someone else posted it this time, cool. Also it's hilarious how annoyed some people get by the term experimental.

beep beep

I play drums in a 4 piece which started out as a psych/ambient/noise/space/drone thing and basically everything comes out of a typically 2 hour long improvised song.

Eventually we tend to lock into a sequence and drift around it until after several weeks if we like it then it forms the bones of a song and then it becomes a familiar riff which signals the rest of the members that we are 'switching' into that section which is a series of sections which flow into one another. This is pretty like how jazz works anyway.

The addition of a bassist really tied down stuff though because as the drummer him and I will tend to lock shit down far tighter than the others who need space to develop wailing shrieking wooshing noises and stuff which might not be planned into anything structured.

I'm happy with the progress of the project though. Went from minimalist noise soundscape stuff to having a pretty solid prog rock edge, but still at the heart of it is a unique improvised performance where the act itself is found within the disposable performance. Also tend to work with live visual artists and dancers and it is more a gallery kind of show than a rock club deal. Also not scared to let a guitar drone for 20 minutes with a series of stacked polyrhythms which come around and only sync up as alternate sequences every 4 minutes or so.

Bit hard on audiences who expect bands to play to and engage with them though I guess. Also gets a bit crunchy and loud, the dynamic ranges can be problematic, bit of a loudness war, that is where the listening skills and time spent together reading one another become so important because it isn't like jazz where everyone plays the standard while someone takes a solo in turn and so on.

i wish I knew people who knew how to do that. everyone sucks

tfw I can't really find much good music like that
Oh well.

Oh boy oh boy this thread is gold. Is like caricaturized hipsters competing to see which one can be the greatest asshole. I don't even know if its real but anyway.

Avante-garde Brutal Death metal.. Its hilarious actually but its quite groovy. Fun Stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=LUgpSZ2XYpE

Did the noise general became /experimental/?

Hope not.

These are better then the incredibly narrow noise generals, you can discuss noise here and other styles as well.

This is better than /noise/ though.

Is there a yuuge merzbow mega repository at all?

I guess this is post-Person Pitch music kinda noisy and lo-fi.

sidneywilde.bandcamp.com/album/better-days

Do you guys have any recs for experimental music that primarily focuses around sampling middle-eastern music? Already have this and Muslimgauze on deck.

Looking for more like these.
youtube.com/watch?v=iHsCcMvHbJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=aBJ6DAMQ7WI

I'd appreciate any recs.

is this the newest cringe thread?

It wasn't before you showed up.

So like post-reunion Swans?

the one certain thing about all indeterminacy is that it is all degenerate garbage

>degenerate

It's not K-Pop user.

its even worse

woah, really neat opinion!
If you dont like it so much, then why are you here?
to post ebpin troles? sad!

errorhominido.bandcamp.com/ Posting shameless self promotion. Noise/drone from México.

OMFG I didn't know they were back fuck

>art is expression
lel just stop posting

any music that relies on context as crutch is inferior to anything within the whole of context-independent musics

go hold hands in the /kumbaya/ general, candylord

not all "experimental" was created equal

theres no such thing as context-independent music

take your own advice.

lurk moar

bump

It's not in the catalog.
Also, I'd advise you drop that condescending, cocksure attitude of yours.

merzbump

We're on Sup Forums, so no.

soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz

bump