/prod/ - Music Production General

talk shit post clyp edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/kmh2fcdr
clyp.it/stiizzog
clyp.it/4pab4uqu
clyp.it/f1vyu2qz
clyp.it/qlvktw1o
clyp.it/acabpe5b
clyp.it/jw4awgok
clyp.it/ikoovoa0
clyp.it/qo02ksxy
clyp.it/whit51u1
clyp.it/xfvac0qk
clyp.it/b55fhe3w
clyp.it/e3gkmnn3
clyp.it/ewo2ytu5
clyp.it/woy1wlvr
clyp.it/kpcqc3bu
clyp.it/ml4cnzmt
discord.gg/0lS3CoGz1pJKA01O
clyp.it/iwmqm50w
clyp.it/5ch40khy
youtube.com/watch?v=NQPjt_5Gf-E
youtube.com/watch?v=lF_4bcYjnA0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm gonna fire it up with something I made 10 minutes ago. it's inspired by the star wars singles from flylo and baauer

clyp.it/kmh2fcdr

feedback/rate pls

chill vibe
I think the deep percussive stuff needs to sound less loopy.

fair point, i only just started to work on that track & i'm definitely going to have to add some variation to it

I don't really know what genre you'd call this. It's electro. Retrowave and hip hop inspired I guess.

clyp.it/stiizzog

All the toms or bongos or whatever are really all over the place and don't really match the vibe of the keys. Then again, I'm high as fuck.

clyp.it/4pab4uqu

>tfw trying to remake an awful song

I think it's it's going pretty well so far

yeah like the others said,dem toms or whatev don't really sound like they fit in there. Sounds easy and chill so far

Sounds really like some neat lectro hip song. Feels like that one synth sometimes falls outta rythm though it keeps that song interesting. I can really see this working with some slow vocals that change tempo as the song goes on at some points.

clyp.it/f1vyu2qz

Why can't i get any of the kontakt things i download to work?

And what is a decent piano VST?

I had issues with 5.2 not loading instruments - kept getting the "not activated" prompt even with instruments that didn't need activation, upgraded to 5.3 and they all worked.

clyp.it/qlvktw1o
where does this fall on a scale of 1-10 if 10 is hypnotic and 1 is cheesy?

clyp.it/acabpe5b
clyp.it/jw4awgok

JUST

anyone got a good link for high quality drum breaks? the ones i find on youtube are shit quality

banjo kazooie core

It's been a tough week /prod/sters. First there was finally a proper thunderstorm in the forecast so I setup the rig and right at the last minute they cancelled it and the weather cleared-up. This has been happening to me for TWO fucking years so far. Only gotten a couple distant thunder rumbles, and never an actual storm.

Then I heard the coyote packs howling out in the woods 2 nights in a row, so I set the rig up last night and recorded for almost 4 hours and NOTHING happened. I got it back out there now hoping for the best. I'm getting up at about 3am to bring the rig back in, I don't want to leave it out there past 3ish because dew can be a nasty problem.

Anybody else here do field recording or sound gathering at all?

>the best thunder I've gotten so far
clyp.it/ikoovoa0

I do I get inspired again I don't like this

You guys can just tell me to fuck off and record better but anyone got any tips on how to "beef up" (for lack of better terms) a live take recorded in a basement?

I guess EQ? Should I use a compressor to stop the random clipping? Will a limiter do that? Are a limiter and compressor the same thing?

just use a loudness/mastering limiter user

if you're just trying to fatten up a quick rough recording that's all you really need. now if you have noise to get rid of and nuance to massage it's gon' be a whole different thing, but if you just want to solidify the jello, limiter. set the ceiling to -1dB or so

post a clyp

clyp.it/qo02ksxy
clyp.it/whit51u1

If I play enough will I become an anime?

clyp.it/xfvac0qk

comfy as fuck

Thoughts on these tracks i'm working on? Do I have potential?

clyp.it/b55fhe3w
clyp.it/e3gkmnn3

i love it! i just ran it through a really hasty quash with Ozone... there's a lot more than can be done with some effort but i ain't got the thyme right now

clyp.it/ewo2ytu5

haha yeah, it really got me excited to capture more thunder but my luck has been shithouse

>a really hasty quash

What is this??

Yes you have potential user. The first one reeks of potential until the drums start. I like the effects and bubbly nature of it, so run with that instead of phasing it out.

Second one is just dying for a groove to start. Add some cool and tasteful percussion stuff and a *satisfying* bass line and it'll win my own heart

i quickly squashed it

clyp.it/woy1wlvr

Be honest with me, /prod/, am I trying too hard to be the next Scott Walker?

fuckin kek

Why do shitty nobody producers pretend there is anything wrong with brick walling tracks?

post clyp

clyp.it/kpcqc3bu

> that genre that nobody likes

I tried to make that synth work but maybe it came out too reverb-y.

I think that arp panned to the left ended up being in a pattern that was already used in a popular song but Im not sure.

I tried to master this, but I still dont think it came out loud enough.

Let me know what you think.

go to bed Porter

ßump

clyp.it/ml4cnzmt

Is this good?

Because faggot op didnt put the updated pastebin link in the op

Depends on the track. Remember a master wont save your mix/recording if its shitty

Not bad, but also not really impressive

what is it missing?

Sounds 'dull' to me. Under what settings do you produce/mix?

Everything... structure, nice wide stereo image, balance, the little bits inbetween the bars to keep it interesting, reverb... this all sounds too dry

As an added backup, here /prod/
Also if you wanna join me in discord. We are always looking for more people to come and join. Not a lot of people, but we try.

discord.gg/0lS3CoGz1pJKA01O

What else could be done with it and how do you squash a track?

clyp.it/iwmqm50w

Is the vocal sample too corny?

and we're using discord because the IRC chan is pretty much independent of the thread these days?

I don't even know what you mean by that.

Discord is just easier and more andy to use

I mean that the people who frequent the IRC aren't in the threads.
I don't feel like creating a discord account t b h

No i have a discord, you can join the one I made if you want. It's basically for Sup Forums but at the same time its become more of a DAW and Prod place

Yes.

Decrease you should decrease the attack of the first synth to give it a more stabby sound. Give more variation to the drums. Maybe use a clap at first with a very low decay. Mixing also needs work.

Thanks a ton, I had a feeling it sounded corny, just needed someone to confrim.

>first synth
Just tried it, that does sound a lot better.

>Mixing
Think you can give me some pointers? I think my ears are tired as fuck.
Maybe some tips that I can note down for next time.

I made something.

Will appreciate feedback and give feedback as soon as I listen most stuff in here.

clyp.it/5ch40khy

>I think my ears are tired
The biggest problem for producers in my opinion.

Having decent monitors is a good fix for this. I personally recommend Rokit 6 for bedroom producers who are on a tight budget. Other than that some decent open back headphones. Also don't listen to your shit 90 times on loop before changing anything (like i used to do).

Look up some tutorials online. Mixing is a whole other world compared to actually composing and arrange. Far to vast for me to explain all of it.

I would start with simple stuff like EQ and compression and work from there. Try and find the Waves bundle torrent somewhere. They have some great plugins for this type of stuff.

Keep up the good work though user. Don't get discouraged, this shit takes time.

Also Freesound and Looperman has some free decent acapella vocal samples you can use. Just make sure you get lossless audio files.

Look up sampling techniques as well. I like to take stuff and make it glitchy, reverse it etc. so experiment with stuff like that.

The drums are the best part imo, not really fond of anything else. They sound a lot like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=NQPjt_5Gf-E

Helpful posts, thanks.

I can hear the similarity.
Thanks for the feedback.

I dont think 4 to the floor doesnt work for the atmosphere of the track.

Needs some fingersnaps imo.

as of lately i hve been making my synths from the default preset that os the buzz but i have songs that use multiple preset synths, what dp you thibk about presets is it cheating or cutting corners? sometimes it spunds exactly how id like it and id use it

can i get some feedback?

well i thonk taht is a good ide to be hnoset. leraning a symteshiser is alwyes a grud thing.

>Rokit 6
I don't know about you but personally I find Rockit's to be the most tiring out of all monitors. Eris 8's are decent for non-tiredness.

I use a laptop and a pair of audio technica m50's, I made the beat in my kitchen, is that what you were asking

>Rokit 6

Please don't

Go to your DAWs settings and select 24bit and the highest sample rate you can select

Just gonna jump in if thats ok.

Structure is the big thing here imo. my guess is your going for a dance music vibe. I suggest writing an intro and build up with minimal drums and drop into the second part and have the first part follow it. Then progress from there.

How the fuck do I sample well?

I just can't get my head around sampling at all and it's annoying me.

Its a cool track, and I dont know why but I could just hear the sound of cans opening fitting so well with this.

youtube.com/watch?v=lF_4bcYjnA0

What do you mean?

Do you mean recording samples in general, finding samples to use, chopping them, or what?

I always have a hard time finding decent ones that'll go well together especially with drums. You just gotta keep looking and keep practicing