/bleep/ fags keep telling me IDM doesn't exist

/bleep/ fags keep telling me IDM doesn't exist

what genre is autechre then? particularly their post-confield stuff

what about aphex twin's post-saw2 stuff? just techno? Boards of canada? ambient techno?

Other urls found in this thread:

techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>what genre is autechre then? particularly their post-confield stuff
post-dance
>what about aphex twin's post-saw2 stuff? just techno? Boards of canada? ambient techno?
post-dance
ambient techno

>autechre
glitch, experimental techno, hip-hop, post-club music
>aphex twin's post-saw2
jungle, drill n bass, acid techno
>boards of canada
downtempo, ambient techno

thank you for the replies

>glitch
>experimental techno
>drill n bass
can you tell me any other good artists in these genre?

Idk why people get so butthurt over the term IDM. It's not really a concrete genre but it give you an idea of what you're going to listen to(same thing with EDM).

I've been trying to organize the electronic music I have in my library and it's a massive headache. garage, breaks, techno, house, trance, glitch hop, downtempo, jungle, ambient, fuck it, how the fuck are you even supposed to tell the difference between fucking breakbeat and techno? pointless distinctions

now ive just gone and put anything by a warp artist or anything that sounds similar to them under IDM, anything that is obviously ambient under ambient, and everything else just under electronic

Because It Implies Other Dance Music Is Not Intelligent

Breakbeat and techno are easily distinguishable. Garage and Breakbeat might be hard.

But Isn't That Correct?

next you'll be telling me rock music isnt made with rocks

I mean, no? What makes "IDM" inherently intelligent either? Read any interview with Autechre and they'll tell you that they "compose" their music by dicking around with patches or hardware until they find a sound they like. It's not really all that smart.

It's a lot "smarter" than the 4/4 boom-bap stuff everyone else does

How are you supposed to tell apart breakbeat, techno, house? those seem like the big three to me

what about jungle and garage? where the fuck do those fit in

How though? You can't quantify "intelligence" in music by time signature as far as I know. Besides, most BoC and Autechre is in 4/4 if you can believe it and both have even employed "boom-bap" rhythms - Ae is one step away from being straight hip-hop in some of their output. RDJ drums aren't SO much more complex than Jungle either. So how is it smarter?

dude have you even listened to confield

it's bait dude

"Have employed" is a far cry from "use consistently throughout everything they do" tbqh. Ae and AFX both explore a lot more in terms of timbre and composition than most others who make electronic music, and they do it well. That's why they're even famous at all, user

I'm not that guy but it comes down to the structure of the song imo. Most non IDM dance tracks are created with one idea in mind and structured so that a DJ can work it into a mix, IDM follows a more traditional song structure.

Yes and most of it is in 4/4. IIRC Bine is the only exception.

You'd be surprised.

Autechre usually follow the electro/hip hop formula of putting the snare on 2 and 4. Obviously they pay more attention to timbre and texture than most club producers (though I'd say that's changed in recent times as "post-club" club music gets more and more popular) but that's just because they have different priorities than dance producers, as AE is more for at home, headphone listening. I mean, RDJ's more dance-oriented acid stuff isn't that far-removed from all the other club-friendly acid techno.

I still don't see what it has to do with intelligence.

Calling Autechre IDM is like saying Kraftwerk were a krautrock group.

>putting the snare on 2 and 4
Are you being serious right now

>Autechre usually follow the electro/hip hop formula of putting the snare on 2 and 4.
Is this b8

yeah

I don't see how anyone could defend the term IDM tbqh, like what does that even mean?

Intelligent Dance Music AKA more rhythmic variance, more harmonic variance, more interesting forms.

thats what the fuck im wondering.

but i dont know what the fuck techno, house, breaks, garage, jungle all mean, how the fuck do you define those either?

all i see is bullshit like "snare on the 2nd and 4th and 125-140 bpm" but like what the fuck that tells you literally nothing about the genre. Look at a song like 4 by afx, like how the fuck do you say what genre that is just based on the drum beat? i dont know i dont understand this shit.

Yeah but I don't see how that correlates to the terms "intelligent" as complex or interesting =/= intelligent and "dance" consideriding it's not very danceable

but it doesn't? maybe to people who don't know what its origin is, but if you do, you know it was just a reference to the Artificial Intelligence tape from warp.

that's why the artists themselves dont like the term. electronic listening music was proposed but never stuck

this is the answer

fuck meant for

>glitch, experimental techno, hip-hop, post-club music
>jungle, drill n bass, acid techno
>downtempo, ambient techno
meme genres

and idm isn't? lol

i'd maybe give you experimental techno (cause that's pretty vague) and post-club music, but the rest of those genres are well-established

then why has nobody answered ?

because i'm not in the mood to spoonfeed desu

>that's why the artists themselves dont like the term
I love the absolute disdain Autechre and Matmos have for the name

Electronic music meant to be danced to: bleep
Electronic music not meant to be danced to: bloop

>Richard D. James
>Intelligent

post-dance is as idiotic of a term as IDM

Ametsub

This is outdated by like 10 years but it's great for understanding the basic genre conventions and development. Also it's cheeky as fuck. I would recommend it for any noobs to bleeps

techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Even though it's fucking accurate.

thanks for this.

just....let this thread die desu

ITT: DDM listeners get triggered over innocuous terminology

>Sup Forums talking bout dance music

lol never change,

You go to hell. You go to hell and you die.