Is is ever too late to learn an instrument?

I've been looking for a legitimate answer to this question but all I ever seem to find is "You can do anything if you just believe!" which just doesn't sound quite right to me.

I want to learn an instrument but it seems like anyone who is even remotely decent at it started when they were very young and have always been doing it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YkpAnrbWLFs
youtube.com/user/artofcomposing/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yeah sure why the fuck not
You won't play in competitions or shit like that but you can get good

I mean it depends what you're planning to do with it. You probably won't end up playing in the Wiener Philharmoniker if you pick up the violin at 35, but you can still get pretty good if you put your heart into it.

I've started playing guitar 3 months ago. At 25.
I can do barrè now and I can sing some song. I fuck up here and there, but it's been a lot of fun.

I wont be the new Jimmy Page, but I can do a pretty mean cover of April 8th by NMH, so...
yeah you can do it.

Thanks for the encouragement. It always feels more genuine from people who have no social obligation to be nice yet do so anyway.

You already got your answer which that it isn't too late to learn a skill, but you're being a pessimist about so you want someone to tell you can't so you won't have to bother.

If you're going to learn guitar, go watch justin guitar videos.
He's an extremely good teacher

Oh course not man don't be stupid. It's never too late. In 3-5 years of practice you can even be a decent guitarist.

Are you gonna become a guitar god? Probably not, but you will get pretty good if you really like playing guitar and stick to it for some years. Good luck man!

teaching myself how to tickle the ivories. i have some guitar experience, and played trumpet in jazz band in high school, but overall playing music has been pretty unintuitive for me. part of this i figure is that no one bothered to teach me any music theory. music practice and understanding was just taken as a given. but learning now has allowed me to investigate why and how certain tones and patterns are used. its less rote acceptance, and more an organic, creative process.

anyway, practicing is one of the best parts of my day. it feels good to take up a physical skill, to watch yourself get good at it. i figure i can get 10000 hours in by the time im in my 50s, which would make me an expert (according to that faggot m. gladwell), so that would be dope. i just want to be able to play schubert.

so i would recommend it. don't make excuses: just go buy a decent guitar or piano-action-key keyboard (now user), and spend 20-60 min a day at it. good luck

what do you want to learn?

Piano, violin and organ are the hardest ones probably so it's better to start early with those.

Just self teach yourself like Varg.

justin guitar is such a LAD

how can one man be so based?

You can but it's much harder.

When you're a kid you have nothing but free time and you're perfectly fine with sitting in your room all night playing the same two chords along with an album without even once questioning it. As an adult this is stuff that you have to justify to yourself and that's assuming you have the free time to do it.

I started playing guitar at 25 and I'm still not even close to the level that I remember my musician friends being at when we were like 17 or 18.

Guitar teacher here. I've taught 60 year olds and within 2 years they could play Hotel California, 3 years Stairway to Heaven

All comes down to how much you practice, simple as that

varg is a very mediocre player and quite sloppy sometimes, but he has a unique playing style which is probably the result of learning it on his own

He's literally the Scott Manley of guitar. Why are British bald guys suoch Bros?

>British

not sure if meme or if you genuinely didn't know. but he's australian

Only a British or Australian person would give half a shit about the difference

so meme. ok

Yes.
Starting something over the age of 21 is a waste of time, you'll be mediocre at best.
It's too late to do anything.

dumb question

when is too late for start if i want to play like this guitarrist (omar)
(an example around the 2:15 min mark onwards)
youtube.com/watch?v=YkpAnrbWLFs

>Omar
Perhaps when you're dead.

lmao
hahahahahaha
but i need a serious answer men, please!

It's going to be hard to memorize tons of scales, modes and tuning variations if you haven't dedicated yourself to the craft. I think it's around 1000 hours of any given task before you can master it.

People ask me all the time if it's worth picking up an instrument past adolescence. If you want a hobby and have a knack for tone and rhythm, then go for it I say.

No one will give you an exact number because that depends on the person.
Omar is not a virtuoso, sure he has some great solos and stuff but his strengths are more on the creative side, he's no Steve Vai when it comes to guitar, with passion you can play everything he recorded in 5 years time I'd say.

>Is is ever too late to learn an instrument?
Only once it becomes physically impossible to play. I plan on teaching myself bass once I get my first Official Adult Job.

Only if you are extremely close to death and you're fucking shit a picking up things

but even then go for it, at least you'll progress a little bit before you die, then they can say you know the G chord at your funeral.

Just started learning a few months ago and I strongly recommend this as well

Unless you want actual 1 on 1 sessions with a teacher

reminder that every skill you aquire before 25 will progress much faster snd stay with you your whole life so basicaly you should learn before becoming old

i don't if is offtopic but whatever

i can learn all to play an electric guitar if i just have an acoustic one, i know sounds stupid, the things is i don't know what many things change between instrument that you can see withouth touching one, in addition of the handle, amp, etc

Isn't that more for stuff like languages, though? Music theory maybe but playing an instrument is more about muscle memory and coordination.

They're different but I'd say 95% of the skills are easily transferable.
You just have to get used to the different action, tact, mast, etc...
A classical is a different thing altogether though, those nylon strings are a bitch.

it applies to both, you learn everything faster at a youger age, especially muscle memory things like playing an instrument

Just learn the basic concepts and practice them every day. The reason it takes musicians years to learn how to play is because for years at a time they don't learn anything new. Just don't be like that and you'll surpass other musicians pretty quick.

Also, learn Music Theory. No, don't just stop at sheet music. Feel fags are retarded and have almost no idea what they're doing a lot of the time. If you learn principals of voice leading, melody to pulse rules, etc. you can make music for days.
youtube.com/user/artofcomposing/videos

Op what instrument do you want to learn? If its not a real issue maybe consider guitar because of the ease in picking it up, or perhaps a woodwind instrument like saxaphone would be a good choice. Imo dont learn piano, its not as rewarding and you learn to play it anyway whenever you learn a different instrument.

Depending on how good you wanna get discipline in learning theory is a necessity

for guitar? no
for piano? mabye, idk I never played it but I know there's alot of theory stuff you have to learn

There's no reason not to try other then the fact that your clearly a cuck for even asking but you might as well cause music is good for the soul. Just do not, I repeat do fucking not, walk around with some bullshit steal string acoustic playing the same 4 oasis and jack johnson songs and call yourself a fucking musician. If u ever think you are becoming a musician, listen to Coltrane or sonny Rollins and rethink ur sad existence. But yeah give it a try newfag.

Discipline in learning theory is a necessity if you don't want to be a shitter.
Don't be one of those annoying fags that can only play awful covers on their acoustic guitars after reading the tab without knowing what the fuck they're doing.

Well i mean piano can be played half assing the theory as long as you can read the notes and keep a beat but learning theory makes it that much easier and reflects in the flow of the playing.

What are you considering at this point?

Lets see shredding it on the tuba pick up chicks.

as someone who has played violin pretty much all my life and tried to pick up other instruments but mostly gave up on them, can pretty much entirely agree with what everyone is in thread says, possible but harder to learn and master

Holy fuck this. Feel fags are the worst.
Like this guy.

Fuck, almost there. Yeah, I've read that's the age when the brain stops developing, or something along those lines.

music is music, you don't need theory to make it or to enjoy it, so why bother? sure you can learn scales to improvise better but playing by feeling is alot better for both the player and the listener
besides, some of the greatest rock guitarists never learned scales and developed their own musical style

>m-muh feeling
>m-muh rock guitarists that developed their own unique special snowflake musical style
Why is it always rockfags?

You can pretty much always learn an instrument insofar as you still have the capacity to learn. I'm sure it's only too late once you actually start to suffer from Dementia or anything else in old age that might prevent you from actually retaining information. As far as right now is concerned you can always start to learn a new instrument. I didn't pick up guitar until last year and now I play alongside people that have known guitar since age eight. It's just a matter of putting time into it every day and getting better.

you can't play guitar, can you?

>guitar is so easy you don't need theory
Let's see you playing a jazz standard without knowing what an arpeggio is bud.

>some of the greatest rock guitarists never learned scales
it shows

> you can learn scales to improvise better
That's how you know this dude is a feel fag.
You do realize that there are melody to pulse ideals that can go into your playing so that your melody fits the chord progression and the time signature, right? It's not just scale shapes.

you are all wrong and your opinion is inferior to mine and also you should kill yourselves hahah

I'm not going to kill myself. You're going to make shit music for the rest of your life and I'm going to make great music for the rest of my life. Face reality, feel fag.

>Is is
No, you can't blow it up.