Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=james ferraro human story 3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i like it more than far side virtual desu

the future of tomorrow
today
cyberutopia interconnected and intertwined. always on around the world

I'm waiting for an Amazon Dash Button to come out so I can order multiple copies of the album on the fly along with my Starbucks, joint medicine, and laxatives

One of the few Ferraro releases that immediately goes down easy.

It's actually really good and I'm someone who doesn't ''get'' Ferraro.

what did you mean by this?

what did you mean by this?

Some Ferraro releases take more work to click, this is a quick clicker.

Me too, but I miss some of the playfulness of FSV. This record sounds bleaker.

I'll wait for tryhard philsophical hipster to share his opinion than parrot it as my own thank you very much

bland OPN/Holly Herndon ripoof, 5/10

Listened to the first five tracks before stopping. I couldn't shake the feeling that Ferraro is pandering to fans of FSV. Actually kind of insulted and, frankly, anyone who likes this meme music should ask themselves why. It's simply not good. The novelty is there but if that's all you're listening to it for, you're life is a fucking meme.

>I couldn't shake the feeling that Ferraro is pandering to fans of his own music

huh

Holly Herndon fucking sucks. Her album last year was easily the biggest waste of my time.

it was in my top 3 for the year but that's your opinion I guess

I just like the title

THIS THREAD IS NOW THE PROPERTY OF #BLACKLIVESMATTER

We Want An Immediate End To Police Brutality And the Murder Of Black, Brown & All Oppressed People

Every 28 hours a black person in the United States is killed by someone employed or protected by the government of the United States.

Other communities are also criminalized, targeted, attacked and brutalized.

We want an immediate end to state sanctioned violence against our communities.

We Want Full Employment For Our People

Every individual has the human right to employment and a living wage.

Inability to access employment and fair pay continues to marginalize our communities, ready us for imprisonment, and deny us of our right to a life with dignity.

We Want Decent Housing Fit for the Shelter of Black People

Our communities have a human right to access quality housing that protects our families and allows for our children to be free from harm.

We Want an End to the School to Prison Pipeline & Quality Education for All

We want an end to policies that criminalize our young people as well as discriminatory discipline practices that bar access to quality education.

Furthermore, we want all children to be able to access free, quality education. Including free or affordable public university.

We Want Freedom from Mass Incarceration and an End to the Prison Industrial Complex

We want an end to the over policing and surveillance of our communities.

This will hasten an end to the criminalization of black and brown people and hyper incarceration everywhere.

Policing in the United States has historically helped to enforce racist laws, policies and norms.

The result is a massive prison industrial complex built on the warehousing of black people.

We call for the cessation of mass incarceration and the eradication of the prison industrial complex all together.

In its place we will address harm and conflict in our communities through community based solutions.

He's much much much more capable than what he showed on FSV. That's just his most pleb-friendly accessible record. This is a sell out record to the casual Ferraroheads. The lo-fi works are the real genius.

Not everything he does sounds like FSV. HS3 is its shitty sequel.

>ripoff

uh

I listened to 543 albums last year. Platform was one of the least enjoyable listens. Probably bottom 10.

His lofi works is just a few notes repeated for an hour and ten minutes recorded on cassette. At least he tries with the hifi stuff

>The lo-fi works are the real genius.

no, no, just no. and I've listened to almost all of them.

Once again, the concept is neat but the actual music is underwhelming

Like I said, the hifi stuff is for the casual Ferraroheads. The serious listeners can appreciate what he's doing with his old works. Think New York No-Wave scene of the 80s but for a new generation of free thinkers.

>543 albums

bahahahaha

Doing it again this year. Currently at 209.

Its still trash and tryhard af no matter how you look at it

A O T Y
O
T
Y

not him but I listened to almost 1500 albums last year

and that's not including any classical

Wow, how did you accomplish that? Had you heard any of them before, like counting relistens, or do you mean 1500 "fresh to your ears" albums?

You should feel accomplished. That's quite a feat.

most of them were new

I don't relisten to albums a lot

I don't know why

I always want something new

You don't like music.

Huh, a little different than how I listened. If I liked an album, I would give it at least one more listen.

I have a revisit playlist which occasionally pull albums from. You could try that.

I'm guessing you used streaming mostly?

I love music. A hell of a lot more than people do on here. I've yet to find someone with whom I can't share a common musical interest with, nor someone who has more varied taste than me in real life.

So no, I'm positive I love music more than you.

yeah I'd say most of it was streaming but I do a lot of downloading/torrenting too. I get a lot of stuff from sharethreads here.

Nice. I wrote most of the current copypasta for the sharethreads last year. It's been changed around a bit since then.

Everything I listen to I download so that I always have a copy of it to play whenever.

people dis this board a lot but damn you can find some really cool stuff in those sharethreads that you don't really hear about much anywhere else. probably the best thing about Sup Forums

can someone tell me about the concept of this guys music? is this album supposed to be a commentary on the degeneracy of convenient online shopping?

go play simcity 3000 high on adderall and you'll get it

Where can I get the album

I definitely agree. Original reason why I frequent this place to begin with. The archive (rbt) is especially useful as well. It's cool to run into other sharethread users in random threads. Even more cool to find someone who listens to a fuckton of music.

where to ge tadreal?

jjamesferraro.bandcamp.com

lmgtfy.com/?q=james ferraro human story 3

Thanks senpai

>spends more time listening to music than making music
You don't love music.

A O T Y A O T Y
O
T
Y
A
O
T
Y

>le you have to make music to love music

fuck off

Is Halloween getting to sexy for kids?

is this boxman by smosh?

Ahh, this one. I came to the realization before I went to college that anything I could create would not be better than what I could find to listen to. As good as my craft may be, there was still a lot more out there that was frankly more enjoyable to listen to.

When you get old enough, you'll come to that realization to. That your efforts are better spent somewhere else. Leave the music-making to the true virtuosos while you yourself become a functional cog in the machine.

I'll better the world in other ways. Producing music is mostly a selfish endeavor anyways.

I think so

I'm enjoying it and I hate FSV

make of that what you will

>thinking technical virtuosity beats constant practice
>thinking anyone has a duty to make music
>thinking you can only devote yourself to music and not have it as a hobby while producing actual good through other means
>ever thinking music was anything other than pure hedonism
You should just admit you didn't have the dedication to practice until you could make decent music instead of telling yourself that your laziness and failure was an ethical choice.

Sure, I'll admit that. I would rather focus on my education than fiddle around, hoping to make something great. I just didn't have the talent, and I would rather have a successful career. No shame in that.

>thinking constant practice is necessary to make great pieces of music
shiggy

I will add that I plan on teaching myself bass, making a home studio, buying a bunch of keyboards and synthesizers, and spending most of my adult years fiddling. Real life takes priority at the moment, until I become financially independent, which will only be another year.

Is it odd that I consider this genuinely classical music, but laugh whenever others like Nils Frahm are given the label? It's not even to do with the instruments being used (though the deliberate use of an orchestra is notable). I just feel in the compositional approach by Ferraro here a lot more similarity with the tradition of a composer like Bruckner or a modern composer like Glass than I do in crappy ambient works.

The music itself I really enjoy. It's similar to the MIDItronica of Far Side Virtual, but with a more "serious" approach towards harmony and form. Perhaps even a better work in terms of the raw notes on the "page." The problem I have with it then is the layer of pretension artists like Ferraro and Dean Blunt bring to their projects. They always claim they're "about something" but never clarify what that something is. TinyMixTapes has interesting, pretentious theories of their own, but a composer who refuses to explain their compositions is a hack.

There is an implication, in the Bandcamp page, that the album is asking where innovation yet lies in music following the styles displayed such as postminimalism, neoclassicism, a degree of sonorism in some noisy strings, and some distinct choir flashes reminiscent of an OPN track like Inside World. But there's still no concrete answers, and so I have no concrete thoughts on this record. It's a competently executed piece of postmodern waste that I love to listen to.

I'm gonna go get in the hot tub now but it was nice chatting with you. Hey, if you drop the cynicism and superiority complex, you just might become a decent human being.

Is this b8
Or are you just a teenager

Starbucks

Practice doesn't make perfect. That's just a meme to make people feel better about themselves. You're either talented at making music or you're not, practicing might make you marginally better but you'll never reach the heights of someone who has the gift. ''Practice makes perfect'' is a useless platitude that is the same as telling someone to ''just be yourself'' in order to attract a girl.

Well obviously it doesn't work if you legiimately don't have much musically going for you to begin with
But you can't say that you have to consistently practice to get good

>DOO DEE DUH DOO DUH DEE DAH DEE DUH DOO DAH
what did he mean by this?

Self-aware TTS entity

t. boldfaure

what's your rating anyway?

I can't rate it.
The music is like 4.0.
The everything else makes me want to rate it a 3.0 or 2.5.
But that would be unfair.

>The everything else makes me want to rate it a 3.0 or 2.5
This is one of James' most sincere, down-to-earth releases, though. It's a rumination on modern life or as himself put it "a still life of sorts", very akin to FSV, but with way better musical content imo. It's a very simple concept and not pretentious at all, I think.

But how does the music reinforce this? If it was just an album of absolute music and nothing more it would be all the better and I would praise it.

No other album this year can even compete with this

Not our fault that you don't listen to a lot of music.

I think it captures a very specific, modern mood that is punctuated by the TTS tone poetry. One could say that these words are an attempt to emulate augmented reality (I find listening to this record very similar to surfing the internet or watching TV), a stream of information and short aphorisms tailored for the ADHD-paced mind of a consumer; it builds an impression of our zeitgeist. The music is the expressive side of the poem, the inner life of the individual contained within ethos. It's contemplative, serene, even playful at times, but with a latent pool of strees and, hmm, paranoia(?). This is how I feel about, however I concede that it's very up to interpretation

>sincere
Impossible for you to know that and likely not true.

This is what I'm talking about in my review though, this analysis comes from little to fucking nothing provided by the artist/composer. Ferraro on FSV and NYCH was clear enough with the title and contained aesthetics of the tracks that the concept was basically visible to everyone. FSV is about muzak-ification. NYCH is a very different atmospheric album.

What the fuck is this album "about?" If nothing, that's fucking fine. Just leave the title, leave the image, cut out all the vocal shit, and let the music speak.

I sound angry but it's just frustrating because I want to like the album.

The haters will be changing their tune once this gets a 5/5 on TMT.

this. no one else is making music this forward thinking or sonically imaginative.

>a musing on hyper individualism and the marketability of neotenous plastics
>We’ve seen the invention of the latte, yoga, cloud computing, we've seen our selves in a plethora of unnatural places and commercial simulacra, crisis and human achievement in perpetual twilight. where will the 21st century human story go next?

This is from his bandcamp. I think it's another still life similar to FSV, but way less about the zeitgeist and more about the inner life of an individual contained within this zeitgeist.

Marcel is probably going to be all over this one.

I read that (even remarked as such in my review) but that still isn't communicated in the music.

well meme'ed friend

kys

Am I wrong?

so fr*ckin ebin xd

But...it sounds like you do like it? You said yourself that the music is a 4/5. I mean, I understand having reservations about the lack of cogency or w/e in the concept but I don't think that should take away from it's sonic achievements.

I like the compositions, yes.

I don't see why it has to be about anything other than the extra-musical ideas he's been playing with since FSV. Every release since FSV has been exploring different manifestations of the situation as shaped by simulacra, mass media, and consumer culture. NYC Hell and Skid Row are exploring geographical manifestations of hyperreality, Sushi and FSV cultural manifestations, etc. Ferraro is one of the least pretentious artists working with these ideas because he's not trying to do anything other than capture their manifestations. He's not trying to ascribe meaning to them, critique them, or even necessarily reject them. If you're looking for an actual commentary, you're looking too far, and you'll inevitably be frustrated when you can't find anything.

I don't see this album as an exception, and you can really understand what extra-musical ideas its exploring by just looking at the track names and album cover. Individualism, Market Collapse, Immanent Cloud, Plastic Ocean. Everything he's chewing on should be immediately obvious because its a very direct presentation of the state of lived experience under encroaching globalization and plastique hyperreality. Its getting into your Google smart car to head to Whole Foods while Facetiming with investors for your tech startup on your iPad and accidentally spilling your $30 energy-aligned Smart water on your vintage eco-friendly pants.

That being said, I'm not quite sure how I would rate it myself. I was expecting something far more liturgical based on the teaser and intro track, but despite the disappointment that it wasn't, I still feel like its far more interesting in terms of composition, and the use of timbres is less ham-handed than FSV. He's played around with the idea of soundtracking fictional Pixar films before, but this feels like the first successful attempt at it, even if that wasn't what he intended

I don't see the appeal of this. It just seems totally vapid in terms of experimentation and in concept.

I think you got it spot-on.

>I don't see the appeal of this. It just seems totally vapid in terms of experimentation and in concept.
....what? How?
And really for both of you, that doesn't really "nail it" because a title of a track means nothing. You have to have the music embody the concept you're working with. FSV had Windows sounds. This album does not.

>And really for both of you, that doesn't really "nail it" because a title of a track means nothing.
You are my new favorite trip. Album art, descriptions, and track titles don't affect how the music sounds.

I never claimed that the track titles represent how it sounds. If you'll notice, I didn't even talk about the music itself until the last paragraph. I was merely answering your question on what the album is "about", and the track titles very blatantly show what its about

>I never claimed that the track titles represent how it sounds.
See:
>I don't see this album as an exception, and you can really understand what extra-musical ideas its exploring by just looking at the track names and album cover.

See:
>extra-musical
Either you don't understand what extra-musical means, or you believe there can be no extra-musical ideas that influence music

Explain how the extra-musical ideas in the track titles are explored in the compositions.

That's what I'm asking you.

aoty

>....what? How?
It just reads as them having a laugh noodling around with their software. i don't see any thought or inspiration behind it.

I never claimed they were. This is the 3rd time you've changed your question, but I'll still answer it. Actually utilizing extra-musical ideas through music is one of the markings of a great artist, and its the essential goal of experimental music, otherwise its format as music isn't valid. All I can speak on of Ferraro's success in representing extra-musical ideas through music is his use of timbres, which are evocative of royalty free music frequently used in technology and start up ads, that might be put into a forced overenthusiastic PowerPoint, or the glossy soundtrack of a Pixar film. In the interest of creating a still life of lived experience in hyperreality, in which you're constantly and unwillingly exposed to these situations, he succeeds at that. But what you're asking me is entirely subjective, and I stated in my first post that I'm not quite sure what I would rate it yet