youtube.com/watch?v=T6jqNXvQUGk
youtube.com/watch?v=WRd3eyJhPbw
youtube.com/watch?v=3hfni-_kEFU
youtube.com/watch?v=VS6TYTzF7zs
youtube.com/watch?v=uNdqjKWVXCU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Best APTBS desu

Agreed!

Can anyone post their early independent release? Like the red/green/blue eps?

That Swirlies album is near perfect. ;_;

not sure if /shugazi/ or /metal/ would be a better place to ask this, but what's some blackgaze with raw, lo-fi production? the issue i have with most blackgaze is that it's too smooth

exploding head is also good.

pcth.bandcamp.com/
someone posted this in one of the last threads any recs?

Yeah but everyone knows Exploding Head.

Ghost Bath anyone?

So are they not actually Chinese?

Is there a shoegaze band that make walls of sound kind of the same way melt-banana does?

Anyone have anything dreamy like this?
>pic very related

swirlies are good
anything besides blondertongue and pic related that's worth a listen?

Is the genre dead? All the acts either are not as good as they used to be, or not interesting at all. Shoegaze revival is not even a thing too, yet I see bands copy sounds from previous generations.

Is there any shoegaze that's kind of like stoner metal? I like Starflyer 59 and shit like that but there doesn't seem to be anything like a shoegaze Sleep or Suma.

Giving Youthful Day a re-listen again, but I still love Blonder Tongue more than Younger Days. Really enjoy the warped sound used throughout Blonder Tongue.

Honestly man i think it might indeed be a dead genre. LSD and the Search for God and PSUB prob aren't gonna come through for us at this rate, and there aren't many other artists doing anything different, although there are some interested sounds coming out of asia, especially southeast asia. Although SOME japanese artists have a unique sound I find that they're running on the same nostalgia the english and american bands are running on. Australia has some cool psych rock and shoegaze but again most of it is derivative. Shoegaze really seems like it's being absorbed into either post rock as a tool for cooler-sounding instrumental music, or black metal for a more distorted, heavy sound (see Whirr's Around EP and Sway compared to their earlier stuff as a good example of this transformation).

Well I've never listened to "stoner metal" proper but I just opened up Suma's album "Ashes" on youtube and it sounds a lot like Nadja which is like shoegaze mixed with drone metal. Also check out Jesu for a more structured sound. Both have HUGE discographies, so have fun with that. The Angelic Process is like if MBV made doom metal, so probably heavier than you're looking for but still cool and fuzzy. Hum is more like post-hardcore but also has super heavy guitars with a gazey edge. If you haven't checked out Deafheaven for some reason you should do that as well. Glifted is sort of a shoegaze/metal hybrid band. And Technicolor Teeth isn't really metal at all but still heavy and really cool sounding. They apparently do shows with grindcore bands and shit.

Haven't checked out Hum or Glifted yet, thanks!

Technicolor teeth is good
I've been listening to Hum since before i knew what shoegaze was, doesn't really feel the same to me.

I try, friendo

Hum - Downward Is Heavenward
>gazey post-hardcore shit with sweet riffs (i guess)

youtube.com/watch?v=6z6bJ1DmRQU

mega.nz/#!o9FAGaIa!yvMwLeqZIANPeYo5ZLDEFQv3aOZIjeD2qOxGqMcoLfc

Yeah I like them but I wish they would release more material. Hum really isn't shoegaze but I just included it because of the guitar tones they use and the heavy riffs. I figured that created an effect that might closely approximate a "stoner metal riff"

Yea which kinda sucks, don't mean to sound pretentious, but some times that when I'm writing music I feel I'm wearing my influences like a sweater. That's why when I see shoegaze now I don't if they are just wanting to be their influences or they genuinely like their sound and are trying to be innovative. Sorry for the autism.

How is it that the best shoegaze-related band, Swirlies, is also the most underappreciated?

seconding for this

It's getting pretty hard to argue that shoegaze is about interesting and shifting textures when there hasn't been a band that had that in so long.

More like this?

What exactly are the defining qualities of dreampop?

Aren't these guys the supposed Sunbather rip offs?

The genre is kind of in its death throes, yeah. The lack of experimentation is drying out interest, and I bet in a few years it'll be looked back upon as a footnote, like jangle pop or something.

Any good shoegaze this year? All I've heard was kind of disapointing so far.

I'm actually diagnosed with autism. The fact that you actually write music is pretty good sign that you don't have it. I've thought about writing a song and what it might sound like, but the thought alone satisfies me and actually putting any of it to paper would take physical effort.

Sorry for the actual autism. That said, I agree with you on that sentiment. I'm sure any riff I came up with could be traced back to some other one i heard in a shoegaze song. They all kind of start to blur together. Too much MBV influence I guess. I think It's best not to worry about it and just try to put your own spin on it. Like Brad Laner from medicine who ran his guitar through a 4 track tape recorder to give it this sound (if you haven't heard them yet)

youtube.com/watch?v=zIssW1Qw4ZE

Check out Have A Nice Life's first album, Deathconsciousness if you haven't. SUPER low fidelity and I believe it falls under "blackgaze" Unfortunately their 2nd album sounded cleaner and less inspired. I've never heard any blackgaze that sounded quite like it, unfortunately.

this is the first thing that came to mind

Well shoegaze isn't exactly noise rock or grindcore but I would say Astrobrite creates the ultimate "wall of noise" effect as far as pure shoegaze goes.

As a side note, can you try to guide me through Melt Banana's discography? As a shoegaze listener would I like their older stuff as much as Fetch? I do like some noise rock like Lightning Bolt, Cows, Les Rallizes Denudes.

Yea I guess you're right even people who write something original still comes from thing of the past, nothing new under the sun. I saw medicine live great band.

Well anyway, I really hope shoegaze doesn't die. It seems to resonate with a some people, although perhaps not very many. Maybe all it takes is for lazy shoegaze listeners like me to get off their ass and learn guitar so they can be the change they're waiting to see.

The thing is, it's almost like that reverb heavy distorted guitar sound alone feels like a kind of 90s throwback. How does one make a modern-sounding shoegaze thing without straying so far away from that sounds that it no longer is shoegaze?

Yeah i know what you mean about the guitar sound. But I'd like to think shoegaze is about a little more than that 90s alt rock sound. I think it's more about the vibe you get FROM that sound. There are more electronic bands like Bowery Electric and SPC ECO that sort of fall under the shoegaze umbrella that have a way different sound.

I would just make whatever sounds good to you. I'm sure your love of shoegaze will mean part of the sound involves liberal usage of guitar effects, but ultimately Kevin Shields was just screwing around trying to make some rock music that sounded cool to him and wasn't too hard to play.

I haven't delved into shoegaze but can someone rec me more like Deathconciosness

when will there be a shugazi Sup Forums makes an album thing?

I listened to the Swirlies for the first time last month. The album 'What To Do About Them'

I think I've listened to it 40 times by now. It's an unfaltering masterpiece.

this if you haven't listened to it already

>dat giff

That's be cool Sup Forums loveless is pretty good IMO.

Yeah, I love shoegaze but I feel as if the vast majority of bands are either carried on the backs of Loveless or are generic alt-rock sounding mediocrity.

I wish, I enjoyed Nocturne a lot but it didn't hit me as hard as Gemini did when it came out.

Finally gave this a proper listen to while driving in the sun after exploring a huge secluded Japanese garden/waterfall and it was something else. Loved the magical, fantasy and almost psychedelic vibes of it. Made me feel like I was in an enchanted forest surrounded by faeries or pixies.

Anyone else have any super dreamy and ethereal albums with senses of magic, wonder, exploration and adventure like this?

I've listened to a lot of great dreamy albums but few that actually capture that sense of fantastical childlike wonder and imagination like this one does.

Truly feels like getting lost in a summer dream.

>also dat album art
captures the feel perfectly

I've gotten more into Whirr lately. I really dig Sway. Didn't listen to them much before, I'm not a big fan of distressor which is the album I saw being reccommended more.

man i got really baked and walked the dog one night will listening to that and it was absolutely magical, but it hasn't been that enjoyable ever since.

I couldn't stand Sway but maybe I need to listen to it again. I like everything they did up to that album though

This album's been everywhere lately. Not complaining - that's how I found it. Easily in my top 5 albums.

Fuck off, Foliage.

>Comparing yourself to Wild Nothing.

Foliage, you are an insufferable cunt.

>Our dependence on sacred symbols (embodied by The Ostrich, The One Who Speaks Abstractly On Recordings, and others) began at approximately this time - none of these symbols, however, spared us from The Curse.
what does this mean

idk but for female swirlies vocalists Seana > Christina

Has anyone listened to their new album as Sound of Ceres?

I did.

Side A and Dagger Only Run are the only really great tracks. They're really good at the dance thing. The others are pleasant but nothing else.

Lift To Experience
They reunited this year and I have a feeling they're going to put out a record. The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads was supposed to be the first of a trilogy and Mute is releasing the 15th anniversary edition of TTJC this fall.
IT'S HAPPENING!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=T6jqNXvQUGk

That's a band that never really got to live to their full life, you know?

It's like their career was just cut off before it was supposed to end.

Good thing they're playing some shows, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a full-on reunion though. They'd need to have some kind of natural logical change from what Lift to Experience used to be.

What To Do About Them EP

Good post, as an Australian in a shoegaze band, can confirm there is a bigger scene here than in many places. Quality is pretty good, but mostly derivative

Because they are also one of the least accessible?
TOP 5 UNDERRATED SHOEGAZE BANDS

Ecstasy Of Saint Theresa
Swirlies
Bailter Space
Lilys
Drop Nineteens

Swirlies aren't *that* inaccessible.

man i love /shugazi/ out of all the generals you guys like the same i do.

any of you guys like the older jangle pop MBV or jangle pop shoegaze like The Church. Even though dream pop is an off shoot of shoegaze, been getting into a lot more atmospheric jangle pop.

Dream pop existed before shoegaze friendo.

Off shoots of it self of it self, sue me.

Yeah bud, The Church had some great gaze influenced albums. You heard Priest=Aura?

Name your favorite 'almost shoegaze' bands

One of mine is The Ropers. Fun fact - this band backed up Kurt Heasley and were essentially his band on the first Lilys album.

youtube.com/watch?v=WRd3eyJhPbw

Of course man they actually been influence my guitar playing really heavily, been trying to come up with some thing with the same vibe but with sampling my guitar with OVER the top jangle melodies. I know im going off track, but I really like The Church and especially that album.

youtube.com/watch?v=3hfni-_kEFU

Same bro, lets start a band! See if we can make something like Priest without all the heroin

Fucking loved Sway and how heavy it was but none of their other releases.

Any recs?

haha, i'm down you in the TX area?

Sydney man, unfortunately. Ahh well, at least its good to know theres other church fans on shugazi. blurred crusade has some pretty gazey stuff on it too iirc

These guys are from Australia and don't sound like complete shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=VS6TYTzF7zs

Seen them live a few times, pretty rad dudes!

pmpok88 AT GMAIL, i have no shame , hmu whenever if you down to talk shoegaze or want to trade tracks. Australia is a shithole but they make some great tunes over there.

Their latest release was nothing like this one and it made me very sad.

I will hit you up for sure man, cheers, maybe we can collab online or something

The internet is a wonderful thing.

I hope you know that the singer/main songwriter left the band after the debut.

Been a xinlinsupreme fan for a while now, how come no love for their 2015 release?

youtube.com/watch?v=uNdqjKWVXCU

Explains a lot.

Quads have not spoken.

Is there a dream-pop band better than the Cocteau Twins?