/experimental/

Hello friends, this is a thread for experimental music discussion. To clarify: Noise, drone, electroacoustic, free improvisation, futurism, indeterminacy, musique concrete, sound collage, and all that good stuff.

What have you been listening to? What have you been making? Movie and literature recommendations, concert experiences, gear, etc. are all welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oO8HrG2h9pA
caminanterecordings.bandcamp.com/album/merzdub
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/multiple/on_foot__brooklyn/
youtube.com/watch?v=tSSGi0Or9yk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What even is experimental. This is marked experimental on bandcamp. So wtf?

I would like to set out a clear yet general definition of experimental music in this thread.

been listening to a lot of radiohead lately. crazy

Anything that isn't pop/indie/metal/hip-hop

you know this is the worst idea for a general on this board right? this is somehow worse than kpop general

It's really just a generic catch all term at this point. But I can't really think of a better word to use for the generals so it remains, I'm not gonna title the general "Noise, drone, electroacoustic, free improvisation, futurism, indeterminacy, musique concrete, sound collage, etc.", plus the term annoys some people which is funny.

>Kpop general sympathizing

You have to go back.

it really is though. "experimental" is the biggest umbrella term in music. fucking miley cyrus and her dead petz is "experimental" kid cudis last album was "experimental" you could say beyonces latest album was experimental because she had a country track on there. it's retarded, like the term IDM

Hm.
Im not a fan of these definitions.

Let's just say experimental music pushes the boundaries of what can be considered "music." Additionally, experimental music employs some sort of novel or non traditional technique. At a point in the past, Id say hip hop was experimental, but it has become tradition now.

This isn't constructive to creating a working definition. If all you are gonna do is bitch, please leave.

Can we go a single thread without arguing over the fucking definition of experimental, please? Just post some fucking music (or nonmusic) or whatever

youtu.be/oO8HrG2h9pA

This is what I've recently been listening to, really cool concept actually

Dude they are crazy experimental, nice choice. Listen to pic related, it's an obscure experimental masterpiece :0

Cancer

>he thinks obscure = experimental
o i am laffin

Great taste you have, I assume you never heard of this band they are pretty underground but really good and experimental unlike most hip hop which is trash.

underrated

Experimental dub.
also very good dub
also very good noise
a masterful album indeed.

I don't get why that's so expensive on discogs, the label has it for $10 still, I guess people are too stupid to look outside of discogs. I gotta get that along with the shirt sometime.
caminanterecordings.bandcamp.com/album/merzdub

fuck, I just realized the download I have has the tracklist out of order.
mad.

Stop making these piece of shit threads.

you first

Who let you out of your containment board.

Wrong, his post establishes that all attempts to create a working definition of "experimental" will end in pseudery since the term signifies more about its user than the music it describes. His post dissuades people from calling music "experimental" and hopefully inspires them to be better, more intelligent, and less shallow people, making it highly constructive for music discussion on this board.

The term is good enough, you people nitpick too much.

A general rule for these threads should be to not partake in meta discussion. Do not feed the trolls.

These threads are garbage no matter what sort of mental gymnastics you try to engage in in order to shrug off anyone pointing out the fact.
Not only is the entire basis of the threads flawed as fuck, none of the people posting in them even have any idea about any of the potential subjects that could get discussed here beyond a handful of the most entry-level albums or artists(and even with those the level of contextual and historical relevance of those artists in the wider sphere of "experimental" music is something nobody has any idea about; the familiarity with the hows, whys and whats regarding any of this shit begins and ends with downloading the album and maybe seeing how it's rated on RYM).
It's the exact same shit as /noise/ was. /noise/ didn't deserve to exist because it was shit, because none of its posters had any idea about noise.
/experimental/ doesn't deserve to exist either, for the exact same reason.

Stop making these threads.

Also, hurling shit at these threads has now become a meme. It should not be encouraged by engaging with these posters in any way.

I'm not gonna stop posting them as it's hilarious how butthurt some people get over them, and people occasionally post interesting music.

I like to hurl shit back... I guess I could refrain. Anyway, this some good ish too.

It's funny to see how offended they get by these threads, which is partially why I keep posting them.

Oh yes, don't let yourselves get distracted from all this rich discussion by the "trolls"(learn what that fucking term is supposed to mean, dipshit).

"Hey, this Merzbow album sure is good!"
"I agree! It sure is good!"
"Is noise rock experimental?"
"Hey, check out this Soundcloud noise track that I slapped together in Audacity in 20 minutes!"
"Is Animal Collective experimental?"

Truly, the "trolls" are ruining a great thing here.

I know these threads are basically attempts to get spoonfed, but for those attempts to be successful you first have to find someone who knows enough about this shit(tough) and is willing to overlook your total dilletantism and deliberate lack of self-sufficiency(very tough). How fucking hard can it be to just look for shit on your own?

I'm not really expecting you to stop posting them, even without the shitflinging that goes down here the threads just aren't sustainable and will deflate and die soon enough because of a lack of content or a consistent and knowledgeable crowd of regular posters. If anything, people coming in here to tell you what a piece of shit these threads are is one of the main things keeping them alive.

hey just a reminder to not reply to this guy
I repeat, DO NOT reply to this poster

Some people actually want to discuss music here. You should keep your ego on its leash and refrain from engaging in these inane debates. I'm not responding to any more meta from now on

Ok, post music then. What do you want to talk about?

Anyone familiar with the Wandelweiser group? I've been really inspired by the work of Manfred Werder recently.

Good joke, he doesn't want to talk about music he just wants to post the same argument over and over in every thread.

No, please describe what kind of music they are.
aside from "experimental," since the term encapsulates so much.

I'm not spoonfeeding you, look it up yourself.

why is 70s free improv so much better than eai

It comes from the Western art music tradition. Heavily inspired by the music and ideas of John Cage. I'm not into all of it. Some I don't find to be very groundbreaking but Werder's stuff is very conceptually interesting for me.

Drugs

Eh a lot of 70's free improv leaves me cold, I like more eai overall.

You not replying to my posts doesn't make any of the things stated in them any less true.
These threads are dogshit and they will remain dogshit for the rest of their existence.

Not me. Someone else

Hey, don't reply to this guy!

Agreed on that. I really can't get into stuff like Derek Bailey. Evan Parker's stuff is good for a time but it doesn't captivate me very long. I feel like the general aesthetics in free improv have become a lot more advanced in later decades.

Well I did look them up, and I'm listening to:
Eva-Maria Houben
Air – works for flutes and organ

And this is some really nice stuff. Droning flutes, a subtle background warble of sorts, occasional nature noises. This is right up my alley. Thanks my guy

>My posts are dogshit and they will remain dogshit for the rest of their existence.

FTFY.

What is it about 70s free improv that leaves you cold? Where does it fail?
What gives EAI the upper hand in the comparison?

Thanks for the reply, big boy.

Well, that goes without saying.

Cool I haven't heard that I'll have to check it out

SERIOSLY GUYS, Stop replying to this guy! lmao!

>derek bailey and evan parker
meh. i'm way more into AMM, taj mahal travellers, theatre of eternal music sort of stuff
i really think what bailey and parker did for improvisational music is overstated personally, by people that don't want to admit coltrane had already freed music from most of those confines already, i suppose because it makes you look like a cliche

Posting experimental hip hop.

So...

/noise/ generals are dead now I see. Fucking underage retards with shit taste killed it.

>What is it about 70s free improv that leaves you cold? Where does it fail?

It sounds more traditional and jazz based and not as daring vs a lot of eai, I do like some 70's free improv, Schwarzwaldfahrt is my favorite 70's free improv album.

He greentexted your post which means he meant your comments are shit, how new are you?

Instead of whining you can post about noise here.

im pretty big into guitar/electronic noise but i never felt welcome in those threads myself so i dont think its as simple as you want it to be
hey check out this tape rip i found on youtube of the same shit weve already heard a thousand times

neat.

I haven't listened to any of that stuff actually. I'll have to check it out. I think Brotzmann is more potent than either Parker or Bailey as well even though he's more just straight up free jazz. There's a great energy in his playing. I don't know if it was different at the time but by today's standards Bailey sounds like an amateur improviser, someone who's only just discovered improv music

I always felt bad for the few dudes in /noise/(and it really was just a few, like less than a handful) who clearly knew their shit when it came to noise and kept trying to make those threads better, though I also never really understood where they got the good will to keep hanging around those threads considering how fucking braindead and worthless everyone else in them was. That general was mistake from day one, in all honesty.

What the fuck, are you retarded? It was a joke, you autistic fuck.

wait, I take that back. Someone seems to have just clipped wooshy sine waves

Did you hear this one? It's one of my favorites on the label.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/multiple/on_foot__brooklyn/

You didn't listen long enough.

It's a faggot who's been viraling himself in these threads ever since they began. Just ignore him.

I wanted to get something that sounds 100% original so after about a year of meaningless beatmaking and playing around with samples I'm learning maxmsp and actual music theory and sound synthesis bit by bit from googling and shit. Also reading musical application of microprocessors and starting electric engineering this fall

What will help me to gain more understanding on basis of sound making and true experimental music? Am i on the right track? Am I just retarded? I'm young and have a lot of time, I want to accomplish something

What is it? An album you found?

> feel like the general aesthetics in free improv have become a lot more advanced in later decades.

What the fuck does that even mean. Kill yourself you worthless avant-teen scum.

>Calls me autistic, yet constantly gets offended by these generals enough to keep replying to them over and over

He's right though.

I haven't. Is it a field recording album? I've been working through the Wandelweiser box set but otherwise I've just been more focusing on Werder's releases and extending from there. I'm appreciating the recommendations.

They play music outside so it has field recordings in it along with what they are playing.

still, it was pretty unimaginative as far as noise goes.

>over and over

This was like the 2nd or 3rd time I posted in one of these, I'd hardly call it "over and over". Like I said, the bitching about the quality of these threads plays a large part in keeping them alive and I really don't want to prolong their lifespan anymore than is necessary.
And I dunno mate, between your inability to pick up on obvious jokes and your devotion to making these threads not in spite of but because some people have a problem with them, I'd say that you come out of this as the considerably more autistic person. Maybe even genuinely autistic.

I think setting out with the goal of trying to make the most experimental thing ever is flawed to be honest. Just focus on making good music which you can appreciate. Whether it's experimental or not is kinda secondary

>This was like the 2nd or 3rd time I posted in one of these, I'd hardly call it "over and over"

My of these posts are suspiciously similar to each other, it sounds like the same two or three people at most who get offended by these threads enough to keep replying to them over and over.

I disagree. It's not to everyone's tastes.

The long lost album by The Gerogerigegege, called Piano River leaked recently!
youtube.com/watch?v=tSSGi0Or9yk
Its...not very good. Like, it is good source material if you want to make a mix or plunderphonics but it certainly gets boring after a while I find.

What the fuck? I didn't know how much I needed this in my life until now. Aside from Merzbeat and Merzbient, does he have any other noise fusions?

too bad about gero being boring. I found the new album to be 3/4 boring as well

If anyone's interested in music on the extreme conceptual, Cagean end of the spectrum check out a release called 'regel #5 (classical music)' by a group called Regler.

Nobody who had a clue about "experimental" music would ever set out to make something "100% original", nor would they even believe that making something 100% original to be possible.
Let me guess, you've heard a few dozen "experimental" music albums in your life, you wouldn't be capable of writing an intelligent essay on any of them, and you have come to the conclusion that you prefer making "experimental music" to actually listening to it?
It's always funny to scroll through one of these threads(or /noise/ in the past), check out all the Bandcamp or Soundcloud links in them and realize how obvious it is that next to none of the people who are so eager to self-promote their shit here actually have a clue about the genres they are working in or even seem to be active listeners and explorers of them.

Mhm. I've got nothing to say regarding that.
Have you considered the possibility of there being a grain of truth to the things people are disparaging these threads for if all their claims are so consistent with each other? Have you considered the possibility of these threads simply being shit?

HEY
DO
NOT
TO
THIS
GUY

And do you see, dude? Almost 100 posts in this thread so far! You should be grateful for the meta shit.

Yeah I gotta agree for the most part. Out of Saiga is a nice dark ambient piece, the self-titled track is texturally pretty good, but not very good aside from that. Final tuning is very creepy at parts. It's just that Sea of Losers is so quiet, long and boring that it kills most of the album for me. I fucking love the cover of the album though.

I don't just mean that the posts are consistent, I mean the way they are written is very similar in style to each other, it's definitely just the few same people posting over and over with the occasional extra person coming in.

>Nobody who had a clue about "experimental" music would ever set out to make something "100% original", nor would they even believe that making something 100% original to be possible.
Was that not often the point behind some of the stochasticism/indeterminacy movements?

It's funny that the people who are offended by these threads keep bumping them and giving them more replies. Maybe they aren't actually annoyed by these threads at all and are just trying to bump the threads.

this thread's a barrel of laughs.

the death of /noise/ is no great loss and it should have happened a long time ago.

the concept of a general thread in which nobody knows anything about the subject of the general is moronic beyond words in itself. the concept of a general in which nobody knows anything about its subject and isn't even interested in learning is fuck, i don't even know, but that's what /noise/ was.

it was a garbage general. probably the worst general on here that was allegedly devoted to actual discussion of music rather than just the discussion of pop personas or social media or whatever.

>Maybe they aren't actually annoyed by these threads at all and are just trying to bump the threads.

im with that other guy, you might be legit autistic.

Thanks for the bump friend! I appreciate your dedication to keeping these threads alive!

kys, you freak

How many times does it need to be said you morons. Do not feed the trolls.

Thanks son! Love you too! See you after school,

-Mom

What does /experimental/ think of this? Does it live up to the hype brought by Frozen Niagra Falls? I think its one of the better noise releases this year.

this

>It's always funny to scroll through one of these threads(or /noise/ in the past), check out all the Bandcamp or Soundcloud links in them and realize how obvious it is that next to none of the people who are so eager to self-promote their shit here actually have a clue about the genres they are working in or even seem to be active listeners and explorers of them.

lmao, "noise by people who don't know anything about noise" pretty much seemed to be the concept of that awful bandcamp noise compilation that /noise/ put together last winter(and that for some reason triggered a massive autistic meltdown which in retrospect was probably the thing that put the final nail in /noise/'s coffin)
and i almost shit myself laughing a couple weeks back when some guy asked people for recommendations on good 2016 noise in a thread and the only guy who responsed to him went "well i don't know anything about that, but here's a split i put out this year".
can't make this shit up, you really can't.

"I like real experimental music! Death grips, Anco, the list goes on!"

I find these posters more unbearable than actual DG or AnCo fans. You are just being negative fr no reason.