BrokeNCYDE - all of them

film is a shite medium

kanye west

Twenty One Pilots

lil wayne

Nah that's lil wayne

Radiohead obviously

youtu.be/Uv-FoLm5z-I

Fucking really? It's obvious, Michael Bay is Waka Flocka. Dumb, shitty, explosive garbage that you hate to love

>film is a shite medium

you're missing out man. Film is pretty freaking great to get into, don't just dismiss it out of hand

Dismissing a medium because of big budget overproduced mainstream stuff is stupid. That's like saying all music is Top 40

Umm, excuse me, you don't hate to love Waka. You just love him.

True

If a person can't belt out at least the first 30 seconds of Hard In the Paint when it comes on at a party, it's a pretty litmus test that they aren't my kind of person

>film is a shite medium

care to explain user?

It's a dead form now.

Ozu, Kiarostami, Tarr took cinema as far as it could go. Plus it's constantly bogged down by concerns for budget, appeal, time etc. All restrictions on the artists' ability to communicate something truly original.

"Cinema will last one century. That's all." - Chris Marker, French new-wave director

that's a very specific viewpoint though

I mean I think Werckmeister Harmonies is one of the best films of the past 30 years, but I also think that about terminator 2 and shit like Die Hard or Crank

Film doesn't have to be pushing the boundary to be good, it just has to be fucking true. And all great action movies are true in a way

Pink Floyd

> just like me enjoy my dumb american bullshit

go right ahead, retard

see man that's what I'm saying, if you go into it with that mindset the shit is fucking awful, agreed

I picked some of the most egregious choices I could to emphasize my point, but I think that you have to agree that action movies are interesting. At least the great ones are

I mean, hell, not every movie has to be slow to be good. There's definitely some art in having a movie that doesn't drop the pace a single bit in 2 hours and doesn't have a boring minute

Tarkovskyeezy

are you replying to OP? you know "others" decide which artist it is.

children of bodom

lmao thanks for telling us who chris marker is kid

Scorcese is like...Jigga. many different styles, insane longevity and his recent work is pretty meh, but people get hype regardless.

All forms of art are dead. We have explored all possible ideas already. So should we stop making things and be cynical forever?

Can't tell if you're OP or just a user wasting time implying a rule i don't bother for.

Eh, people have been declaring cinema dead for 50 years and it's still very much alive. There are still great films if you know where to look.

It's about to change though, and for the better. All that VR shit getting big and more technological advances in terms of cameras/sound equipment will liberate cinema from money, from being the ultimate storytelling form, from the constraints of realistic visual representation. Somewhat like what happened to painting after photography.

It'll get smaller, but better.

I honestly think video games will be considered a serious form of art sometime this century. Once consoles stop dividing the community and it becomes easier for people to create their own work, I think we'll start seeing great stuff.

Yeah, I can see a merge between video games & virtual reality conquering the masses in the near future.

There'll be good stuff for sure, but I'm an oldschool guy and will probably stick to cinema.

muh french new wave director quotes

Fuckin kek.

nah, Scorsese is more talented than Jay Z tbqh, Reasonable Doubt vs Taxi Driver, two completely different levels of quality (nothing against Jay Z, but lets be real here)

Id say he's more like the Rolling Stones or maybe Led Zeppelin

Arvo Pärt

Taylor Swift

The Beatles

I know it's obvious, but you gotta go with The Stones

Beethoven

Weezer

>PTA The Beatles
>Kubrick Beethoven

you can't be fucking serious

Flaming Lips

>being this much of an insufferably pretentious do-nothing

>it's a dead art form
But... that's objectively untrue.

Ever wonder why people don't take you seriously, user?

???

radiohead

Yeah, I was pretty serious. I suppose you're going to tell me why my opinion is incorrect though, huh?

PTA: a diverse oeuvre, which isn't anything particularly new, but he's a master of the craft, and a relatively unique auteur.
Kubrick: A master who is revered by almost every single relevant director. He wasn't exactly an auteur, but each film is a paragon of fastidiousness and taste.

this is true. I wasn't thinking Taxi Driver. I was thinking more like raging bull, King of Comedy for some reason.

I still wouldn't say Rolling Stones. What is the rolling stones' Taxi Driver? that's like top five american cinema hands down.

The reason I said Jigga was because of both's interpertation of the working class from a upper class perspective. Both's fascination with the concept of the "American Dream" and both's fascination with religion (Jay Z more recently so,) and its direct ties to race and race relations.

Both also have a materialist and pragmatist approach to religion (See, last temptation of christ).

That's the exact words I'd use to describe PTA. PTA hasn't done a "White album" though. They also aren't alike thematically.

edge

>aren't alike thematically
True. Anderson's films are generally more plaintive and grim; whereas The Beatles are much more hopeful and optimistic.

>hasn't done a white album
That would be pretty difficult to achieve with a single film, given the diversity of the album.

Erik Satie

Not too familiar

>director

Thievery Corporation lol

Black Sabbath

>He hasn't seen the most hilariously pretentious movie of all time

>Ozu, Kiarostami, Tarr took cinema as far as it could go.
haha what
all three of them are fantastic filmmakers but the things that they did aren't the only things you can do with the medium

Belle and Sebastian

>implying venom and eternity is bad
kys pleb

Sonic Youth or Velvet Underground. Holy shit Stranger than Paradise and those bands are the epitome of "Too cool for school sunglasses and cigarettes" that was so typical of New York artists pre 1990.

The Kinks or Devo, no other answers.

Smash Mouth

Tortoise

Thugger Thugger

agreed!

It's great. But you're crazy if you're thinking it's not pretentious.

My Bloody Valentine

Death Grips

The Residents

Sonic Youth

I agree with this guy Coldplay

Tom Waits

no one. He is incomparable.

Coil

Big Star, maybe?

Ash Ra Tempel

Sigur Ros

Timber Timbre

Didn't he release a few spoken word poetry albums?

Who is the director equivalent to Ween? Tom Green?

Probably one of the worst opinions I've ever read on this board, and that's saying a lot.

And with the way you exalt Kiarostami and Tarr as "innovators" tells me you're likely an avant-teen in his first semester of film appreciation.

And originality=/=good.

The Avalanches

I say either Ligeti or Penderecki.

Literally vampire weekend

nice trips. and yeah I'm going to be sad if VR and interactivity kills the frame and with it composition. Not to mention the guiding hand of the storyteller

Varg

Bob Dylan

his own shitty band

Captain Beefheart

interesting, in what way?

I could see Bob Dylan being someone like Charlie Chaplin maybe.

>beloved by many for his roots
>a fundamental change happens oin the production of their art that causes a severe trauma to thier fanbases.
>both well icon-ed by history

breaking benjamin

ween

Ariel Pink

Perfume Genius

Xiu Xiu

Satyajit Ray's films with there earthy-ness i equated with Dylan's walking-across-america-folk. Both tell stories showing how even though the rich may live excessive and mindless they have the same basic human miseries.

Muse
Neutral Milk Hotel

ok, fair enough. I can see what you're thinkin and I like it.

Also, whats your fav Ray film?

Mines the Music Room, that blew me away the first time I watched it.

Pather Panchali, but The Music Room is a close second. I've been meaning to see The Chess Players.

The Beatles

Genuinely great but hated by contrarians