MOMMY'S ALRIGHT

MOMMY'S ALRIGHT

Cheap Trick is in the running for best rock band of all time. If you think otherwise, you're really naive.

>they didn't get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame until this year
>RHCP, Green Day, and fucking Chicago all got in before them
>People still take the R&RHoF seriously

MY WIFE

DADDY'S ALRIGHT

I am guilty of not knowing about Cheap Trick until recently. Great fucking band

Favorites are def One on One, S/T, In Color (or count these two as Budokan). Next Position Please is really flawed and awkward but the songs are still great.

If You Want My Love is an absolute banger and def in my top-100 songs of all time

What Cheap Trick album should I start with?

First four albums are GOAT!

Their debut is actually one of their greatest albums. "In Color" is pretty good too. You can also start from "Budokan" that combines material from these 2 records, but it's a double live album.

Some based user gave me these recs, I agree with them:

>Cheap Trick (debut) is a 10/10
>At Budokan (complete concert) is 10/10

Many of their best songs are bootleg demos and live cuts. Many are featured on the Sex, America, & Cheap Trick compilation.

>In Color has amazing songs, but AWFUL production
>Heaven Tonight also suffers from this
>Dream Police is weaker sti, but still good songwriting
>All Shook Up is a bit of an experiment and included George Martin producing
>One On One is amazing, sort of like the Replacements but still with not up to par production
>Next Position Please is like One On One with better song writing and worse production.. Still sort of like the Replacements

Don't bother going farther than that unless you're REALLY determined.

Holy shit, that was me

Ayy

Thanks for the recs, had the same exact feelings listening to their albums. Wish I could find Sex, America and Cheap Trick somewhere

HE'S A WHORE

>dat bush

I caved and bought it on cd. You should also look out for Setlist: The Very Best of Cheap Trick Live if you didnt find that already.

Thanks, finally found Sex, America and Cheap Trick.

BTW, do you know why the hell they decided to work with Martin and then Rundgren? Was it their decision or their label's? Also, what's the story with Next Position Please—Side B sounds much more like One on One.

They only had the opportunity to work with George Martin because Rick Nielsen and Bun E. Carlos wrote the music for John Lennon's song "I'm Losing You". It was featured on Lennon's last album Double Fantasy (without Rick and Bun on the track). Lennon later commented that he thought that Nielsen was a better guitarist than Clapton....... ANYWAYS, they had little say in who produced them after that, because All Shook Up bombed.

Also Lennon got shot and couldn't give out a recommendation.

Huh, that's interesting

>what's the story with Next Position Please—Side B sounds much more like One on One.

I don't know if I ever noticed this. Nielsen has expressed his disappointment in the production of Next Position Please even though I feel like the songwriting is great. They intended to re-record Next Position Please in the 90s with Steve Albini. They ended up re-recording In Color with Albini instead. There was never an official release, but it's easy to find. I'd recommend getting that too, if you can find it.

Yeah, if you listen to it again, Side B starts with 3D that sounds just a bit lighter than One on One songs. Same new wave vibe and synths as on "Saturday at Midnight" for example. Except "Heaven's Falling", but it was written by Rundgren.

I like Rundgren btw, but he was just a poor fit for producing Cheap Trick.

> They ended up re-recording In Color with Albini instead.

Yeah, I've heard about it. To be honest, that's a strange decision… I mean, In Color wasn't THAT badly produced. And to think they're doing it over 30 years later… I admit it sounds great though.

SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW

goat power pop band.