Albums that aged poorly

albums that aged poorly

It was always a shitty loudness wars monstrosity

No. In 2026 we'll be recognizing and accepting its importance

"no"

How does an album age poorly? It's not like a movie or videogame where visuals get dated or anything.
And how has Californication in particular aged poorly?

That's just incorrect son

I think stuff like; mixing, mastering, and just the quality of recording instruments was a lot shittier back in the day.

Californication sounds just fine by today's standards.
But something like "pic related" doesn't.

>spikes spikes spikes spikes

Pet Sounds is timeless family

melody, arrangement, vocals, etc.
Daydream nation was released in 1988 and you can hear it, Loveless is from 1991 but it could be released today and no one could tell the difference.

Bob Dylan's debut wasn't well-revieved when it was released, either

He broke through with the vastly superior sophomore effort, Freewheelin'

yeah I guess
listened to it for the first time in years today
and thought something was wrong with my cd

It had good reviews when it was released. It's just nobody listened to it until Freewheelin' came out.

But, the point I was trying to make was that, his self titled debut sounds dated as fuck. While albums like The Freewheelin' sound not quite as dated. It costed Hammond about $400 to; produce the album, pay the manufacturing companies, and pay Dylan. That is insanely cheap, so it sounds insanely cheap, even for the 60's. Which is mostly why it flopped. No money for real marketing, and nobody wanted a record that sounds like it was made in the middle of a field in the 40's. So something that sounded cheap in 1961 is going to sound like absolute shit by today's standards.

Which isn't to say that album isn't good. It's alright. I was going off about quality, not Dylan's arrangements of those old songs.

Are you Patrick Bateman

THESE GATED SNARES SUCK YOU'RE NOT PHIL COLLINS!!!!!!!

I love their solo stuff (in particular The Predator and It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa) but this album does nothing for me. Doesn't help that it sounds weak as fuck even compared to albums that came out shortly after.

Even the master tapes are recorded too hot. Yeah Vlado fucked it up, but it started off fucked.

Most classic hip-hop albums are. 90's boom bap is called that way because boom bap feels like it defines 90s hip-hop, but not hip-hop in the 00s. Although, I have a suspicion that trap beats will age even more poorly, probably due to its synthetic 808 drum sound.

That album sounded like shit the day it was released. Funny since BSSM still sounds GOAT today.

This album was probably supposed to sound old for it's time anyway though.

Californication sounds like shit because of the mix/mastering. Otherwise, yeah it's a pretty timeless sounding album.

i get what you're saying, but this album isn't the best example of aging poorly. try early native tongues, early brand nubian etc.

on the contrary, some of atcq's shit sound fantastic even to this day, especially the low end theory. also wu-tangs debut sound pretty dope still also.

Agreed. In some of the guitar parts you can hear Frusc exhales and his palm bumping against the guitar body. There's a certain unrefined quality to the recording.

Any rap album before 1992

1999*

Now that you mention it, Low End Theory sounds amazing (the snare sound is fucking brilliant). I'm going at it musicality-wise, actually, like in today's popular hip-hop it's rare to find producers who do boom-bap like Primo or Pete Rock. It still sounds great though, just different in its approach.

That's because those artists (ATCQ and Wu-Tang) made legit songs and not just beats + raps. I love a lot of hip-hop that is in the latter category but you can definitely tell when stuff was composed and when it was conveyor-belt produced. That's why someone like Future will sound so much more dated than someone like Kanye in 2030

What do you mean?

Nah, traps here to stay fãm

Nah this still sounds pretty good

Kinda

Nah

Not a huge fan of the 808 hi-hat sounds, and it kinda reminds me of those 90s house music which sounds outdated as fuck now.

Stop shitposting.

All electronic albums from the 90s