/jazz/

Thread for all general jazz discussion. What are you into right now?

What is the most underrated Blue Note album?
What is the most overrated?

What is the best Miles Davis album? Asking for a friend...

I don't listen to jazz so I wouldnt really know

Tribute to Jack Johnson

Underrated is Fuchsia Swing Song
Overrated is Speak No Evil

2nd quintet > 1st quintet > electric > Gil Evans collabs

There's no correct answer. Miles does so many different styles of jazz, you'd have to listen to them all and come to that conclusion on your own.

Mines is Filles de Kilimanjaro

>What are you into right now?
Have been listening to lots ofjazz from the 1910s.
My favorite are by far the Original Dixieland Jass Band, but I also really enjoy The All Star Trio, Wilbur Sweatman and the Frisco Jass Band.

Do people count Bernstein's West Side Story as jazz? The music is often jazzy but it's kinda like art music dressing up as jazz.
Anyway, I've been listening to that a decent amount and the more I do, the more I realise it's really fucking good.
>What is the most underrated Blue Note album?
As in the one I like the most in proportion to how many people like? Probably Freddie Hubbard's Hub-Tones. The entrance to his second solo on You're my Everything is insane. The way he's messing around with split tones it's like a musically coherent microtonal phrase. It's a pretty bold step beyond the bits of intonation tweaking horn players often do.
>What is the most overrated?
That's harder to say. Popular blue note records also tend to be acclaimed for good reason.
Maybe "The Eminent J.J. Johnson"? I remember hearing about him like he was some trombone messiah but he didn't live up to my expectations at all.

Been listening to this. Really cool stuff, give it a try if you haven't heard it.
What do you guys like that has been released fairly recently?

Who's the best drummer not named Blakey?

Max Roach

Sketches of Spain is pretty fucking incredible. It's a little underrated by jazz fans sometimes but Davis put his fucking heart into his playing and Gil's orchestrations are inspired.
Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool and Bitches Brew are also acceptable answers.

Always Mulgrew Miller

>What is the most underrated Blue Note album?
A lot...
Kenny Drew- Undercurrent
Johnny Griffin- The Congregation
Freddie Hubbard- Breaking Point
Pete LaRoca- Basra
Sam Rivers- Contours
Bobby Hutcherson- Components
Joe Henderson- Mode for Joe
Tyrone Washington- Natural Essence
Wayne Shorter- Schizophrenia
Andrew Hill- Passing Ships
Mark Shim- Mind Over Matter

>What is the most overrated?
The Art Blakey Moanin' album maybe

jazz pleb here, but In a Silent Way was the one that got me going

Tony "I accomplished more musically by 18 than you could ever hope to" Williams

I've been meaning to listen to this for probably a year now. I've heard David Gilmore on some other people's records and I've heard that album is really good. Thanks for reminding me.

As for recently released stuff you should check out Zhenya Strigalev- Robin Goodie from last year.

I think you mean 13. That's how old he was when he started playing gigs with Sam Rivers.

It's Elvin

bump

Kind of Blue, desu

If I wanted electronic jazz, or at least jazz with synthesizers, is there any place I could get quality music?

Nope.

Donny McCaslin- Casting for Gravity
David Binney- Anacapa

bump

end your life