>Sgt Peppers
>Magical Mystery Tour
>The White Album
>Abbey Road

>overrated

Yes

How?

Out of interest why do you think so?

I would have Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album and Abbey Road down as legit 10/10s

Then Peppers, MTM, Let It Be, Hard Day's Night as 8-9s at least

Such an expansive an diverse discography and not to mention revolutionary at every turn

I've always despised the Beatles. They are the Backstreet Boys of the early 60s who decided to do drugs and become artists. It's like if one of the New Kids put out a shoegaze album. And I've given their music plenty of chances over the years. I can't count the number of times I've sat down with Abbey Road and tried to convince myself it's the masterpiece everyone claims it is. I've looked inward, asked myself if there's something wrong with me. Am I dead inside? But the answer I come up with is always the same: I am alive and the Beatles suck ass.

Some of my favorite music comes from bands I hated at first, but in the case of the Fab Four, the more I tried, the more each song somehow became even more cheesy and terrible. When I sat down to make this list of the Beatles songs that barf the hardest, I realized that I could have made a top 30, or top 100.

Think of this as an opening of a discussion—the inauguration of a Hall of Anguish in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. For a complete list of the worst songs by the Beatles, gather their discography into one long queue and press play.

All of those albums are massively acclaimed and credited to innovations that they didn't even bring. Its just trite 60s pop music with a few extras thrown in. I don't hate any of it, but I can't say they're the best band in the world. If other people think they're the best band in the world, then that's alright with me, but I can't personally think of the beatles as anything more than a pop culture phenomenon.

How is Revolver "trite 60s pop music with a few extras thrown in?"
Same with Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, and Abbey Road....

>I Want You (She's So Heavy)

I know it isn't fair to hold an era's slang against an artist, but I can't help wishing the subtitle of this song meant it was a love song for a big girl. In reality, it just means—again—that bro wants to do sex with a smoking hot chick. Surprise!

The guitar line that opens this song sounds like what dozens of my friends in high school would play while trying to figure out some Smashing Pumpkins song. That could be cool or interesting in an ironic way, until the verse arrives and J-Lenny starts singing with all the vitality of your dad's favorite bar band.

Sorry, I just don't believe the faux-earnestness in rock lyrics like "I want you" in any context. Saying "John was a genius, this was a commentary," doesn't change the fact that the song sounds like Creedence Clearwater Revival performed by deaf middle schoolers. Actually, that would be better than this song.

I will say they definitely knew how to write a decent pop song, which is why I don't hate any of it. The innovations that everyone credits them with (using the studio as an instrument, using uncommon instruments, etc.) have either been done before or just fall flat when I hear them. They were good songwriters, but ultimately nothing more without their image and fame. Sure you can add a 40 piece orchestra, a sitar, some trumpets, etc. to a pop song, but there's only so much you can do when you still cling to basic short song stuctures. I'm not going to overrate macklemore because he uses brass instruments in some songs, and this applies to many other pop musicians as well.

this motherfucker just compared the beatles to macklemore

This post doesn't say anything.
How is Revolver just trite 60s pop music?

You're actually right

>"Blackbird"

This would be a great track to be buried alive to. The song is a little lullaby, though for some reason there's a guy tapping a little hammer against a wood block in the background. He's singing about a bird. How Portlandia.I guess the Beatles did influence the future. Thank you for including the sample of the bird chirping so at least there's something to distract me from the rest.

fuck is that a haircut? this asshole be a pussy turd

>This would be a great track to be buried alive to
haha..ha..h... (what!?)

The fact that so many VICE columnists now names the Beatles "the most suck ass" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music has come.

>"Please Please Me"

WHY DOES THIS SONG SOUND LIKE IT IS CHRISTMAS AGAIN? Sorry, I didn't mean to type-yell. For some reason, within seconds of hearing most any Beatles song my blood goes cold and my skin starts screaming. In this case, it's because of the horrible harmonica at the beginning, which sounds like someone made an instrument out of a malfunctioning hard drive.

Then come the lyrics about hanging out with "my girl." This whole song is an endless, lyrical spray of nursery rhyme emotion, patriarchal babbling, and rock 'n' roll turrets outbursts like "Come on, Come on, Come on!"

Why does this guy's "girl" have to please him like he pleases her? Are the Beatles lyrics the origins of the date rape mindset? I vote yes.

that's not true

you're an idiot