youtube.com/watch?v=jESS3gP1GGE
youtube.com/watch?v=qxbpF_aW4vU
youtube.com/watch?v=UXGJGR4x10Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

try bad moon rising

holy fuck i thought i was alone

srsly tho if someone could sell me on this that would be slightly cool

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTDF1FrQ8w
I see a lot of people post they dislike this album for being bland and I never got why. This is the only song I really love off it though.

try EVOL

the rest of the sonic youth i've heard is disappointing but EVOL is a 5 star album

>best rock album of 80s
>boring

Sonic Youth is the sort of music which really needs a decent audio setup to get the most of. The big appeal of this album (to me at least) is the interplay between the guitars and the texture of it, and these things are completely lost if you're listening to it on a potato. You don't need billion dollar audiophile stuff, but a bad setup totally ruins this music.

Or maybe it's just not your thing, and that's fine, but if you want, try giving it a re-listen and really try to pay attention to what's going on between the two guitars

How can you not appreciate the driving tempos, the beautiful harmonies, and the powerful dissonances

vice.com/read/10-v9n5

> 2. Sonic Youth
> When a girl is into some weird indie hardcore band like The Jesus Lizard or Slint her boyfriends’ buddies start using words like “wife material.” Too bad all those bands are as boring as talking about cats. Sonic Youth are the worst. Goo is fun and that song “Teenage Riot” is nice, but the rest is fucking crap. When was the last time you decided to put Evol on while you cleaned your room?

You mean Future?

Vice and Noisey are such garbage.

How can you be such a pretentious drone

Everyone knows Sonic Youth are unlistenable and were memed to hell by p4k, Christgau and the likes. Their indie cred was huge but their music is garbage. No one outside indie gave a fuck about them, for a reason.

>unlistenable
How the FUCK is DN unlistenable?

"1. The Talking Heads
The Talking Homos, more like."

what the fuck

>OK let’s cut the bullshit. Nobody’s heard Brian Eno before, The Talking Heads are crap, and, besides one album and one other song, Sonic Youth are unlistenable noise. Right?
>I heard The Damned do “New Rose” and they tore it up, but what else did they do? Nothing. Bauhaus were shitty too. All those bands were just a pile of talentless hairdressers with great PR and zippers on their pants.
>How gay are they? All these groundbreaking bands like The Residents or Throbbing Gristle or Captain Beefheart or Pere Ubu or Cabaret Voltaire are essentially nonexistent. Music critics always cite them as a huge influence but nobody’s ever heard them play a note. I wouldn’t be surprised if none of them even have any albums.
why did they publish this?

this has to be satire right?
>The Talking Homos, more like. They are the worst
>Without exception, every “Greatest Bands of All Time” ends with The Beatles. What about the part where they suck fucking shit?
> The Beatles suck fucking shit

goddamn I know it shouldn't, but this is pissing me off

I didn't talk about it specifically. I said SY were unlistenable, at least until Dirty and 2000s.

Still you must be in denial to praise DN. All I hear from kids who have read too much p4k is, "OMG this is such an IMPORTANT record! Virtually every album has been influenced by it! It's a seminal piece that changed the way we think about music!" and so on and so forth. My question is—how something so "important" can be so average? I get it, you want to be cool artsy rebellious kids like SY. But how about you take off your rose-tinted glasses and look past their cult?

Objectively, DN has: 7 average punk/post-punk songs with noise breaks, 3 great Lee songs, 1 good Thurston song (Hyperstation) and shitty filler (Providence)—all with shit-tier production. Most songs are very simplistic despite having different gimmicky guitar tunings and don't shine in terms of songwriting too.

Never mind that Branca and even SY did all that before, all they did was make their experimentation more palatable and accessible on DN. But no, you drones continue to call it "muh touchstone", "GOAT album", "seminal record", and so on and so forth.

>Providence
>filler

>Still you must be in denial to praise DN. All I hear from kids who have read too much p4k is, "OMG this is such an IMPORTANT record! Virtually every album has been influenced by it! It's a seminal piece that changed the way we think about music!" and so on and so forth. My question is—how something so "important" can be so average? I get it, you want to be cool artsy rebellious kids like SY. But how about you take off your rose-tinted glasses and look past their cult?
I don't give a shit about the P4k writeup(s). I've read them and think they're bullshit. Daydream Nation is just a great fucking album. The harmonies and rhythms on the record are all very interesting particularly in rock music. It's not Glenn Branca but it's good.

And if you're calling Confusion is Sex "unlistenable" then you're just a pleb.

ITT: p4k drones in denial—the cornerstone of their supreme music "taste" got called out for being average postpunk.

Listen to Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr Idols

this album makes dissonance harmonious, it's really great m8

> It's not Glenn Branca but it's good.
Are you implying Branca was good? Well I should've expected that.

> And if you're calling Confusion is Sex "unlistenable" then you're just a pleb.
But it is unlistenable. It was made to be unlistenable. Please stop pretending that you're a patrician and you legitimately like all that No Wave bullshit like early Swans, Branca and so on. Everybody hates their shitty and only pretends to like it to look cool—it's NYC experimental avant-garde art™ after all.

> Daydream Nation is just a great fucking album
Oh wow, I didn't know you liked entry level poseur garbage.

Now jokes aside, DN isn't garbage of course. It's a decent record. But it's nothing mindblowing. Face it—it's an average post-punk, except with noise breaks. Thurston has always been an autist but did alright sounds with guitars. Kim was a holier-than-thou art school graduate and was as talented as Yoko Ono. Lee wrote alright pop songs. That's about it. Aside from the noise breaks, it's no more interesting than Mission of Burma which no one listens to or remembers today.

>Are you implying Branca was good?
How is Glenn Branca bad?
>It was made to be unlistenable.
How is it unlistenable?

Sonic Youth made better music than plenty of Post-Punk, it's hardly mediocre or average.

I gave you enough arguments and you just continue asking for more, while giving none of your own. Do you want to argue, or do you not? Are you even able to, tripfag?

I bet you're just one of those drones who think p4k top lists are objective reality and knowing those somehow elevates them above the crowd.

Are you unable to answer my questions?

I don't like Sonic Youth either, but early swans has its appeal, dude.

this has to be satire

Why do you think you're in position to demand my answers?

I've made several points about DN. You seem to have neither refuted nor agreed with any of them. Then you jump to other topics. Your best argument is that you think something is good, therefore it's good. Good luck with that attitude. Stick to the topic.

sonic youth is bretty good

the contrarians and nu-mu are making this the worst year for Sup Forums since 2014 desu

You haven't made any arguments about DN.
You just say "It's average. It's good pop music."
That's not an argument, not a justification.
But fine, if that's the best you have then I'll leave you be. Not my fault you don't know how to talk about music.
The teenage girls talking about their vinyl collections are better than you.

Everything ITT: pic related

you're allowed to dislike classics man, everyone has a couple classics that they don't understand the appeal of (London Calling for me)

man, i just like the album

Mission of Burma is great though familia

I don't deny that. Early Swans are somewhat better than SY from respective years IMO. But it's hard to deny that this is music made to be as loud and abrasive as possible. Wouldn't call it very listenable, and I'm pretty sure playing any early Swans record on repeat will slowly fuck you up.

>But it's hard to deny that this is music made to be as loud and abrasive as possible. Wouldn't call it very listenable
youtube.com/watch?v=xdkI49Cvofk
youtube.com/watch?v=jESS3gP1GGE
youtube.com/watch?v=qxbpF_aW4vU

Just please shut up kid.

You can either:

1. Turn the volume up and stop being a faggot

2. kys

The choice is yours.

Holy fuck!! How do i get into loveless?, I know something is there but I just can't seem too understand it.

>6. Fela Kuti
> it’s still world beat and world beat music is mom music.

I have never been more triggered in my life

Shitforgot.jpg

Learn to read. I talk about shit production, Kim's questionable artistic merits, compare the band to other alt rock and talk about the surprising simplicity of their songs. I have to sum up my posts for you, are you this retarded? Do you need glasses?

It is good, but it's been forgotten by virtually everyone, except for people who were there in the '80s. When you compare MoB songwriting to SY, it becomes painfully obvious that Thurston was fucking around way too much and could have written much better songs. I'm not even talking about Dinosaur Jr. because they dwarf SY in terms of melody.

I wish I didn't hate the sound of J Mascis's voice so much. I love every other aspect of DJr.

i was gonna say this wasn't serious because Vice publishing an article calling anyone a homo in a derogatory way is unheard of now, but it was 2002.

Literally what shit tier metal fans like to say

Why try to "get" into it? It could be simply not your thing. Not everyone likes Cocteau Twins, swirly guitar playing, wall of sound and so on. Don't try to fit your taste into some boundaries. Listen to what you like, record industry didn't end with Loveless. It's a very good album if you get it but still it's been overhyped a little bit too much.

Listen to Sebadoh.

>does fuck you sound simple enough?
holy shit it sounds so fucking forced and edgy

Same here man. Same reason I find Smashing Pumpkins so flawed.

youtube.com/watch?v=UXGJGR4x10Q

different album, but how anyone can dislike this idk

wait a few years
the album was really inaccessible for me

Well I'm the guy who's been panning SY in this thread but this very example is a pretty interesting one.

> In Sonic Youth's biography, "Goodbye 20th Century", Kim says that this song is a compilation of various mumblings of hookers and junkies on Eldridge Street, which she wrote down.

I've read the book in question and it's true. SY lyrics are usually pretty interesting but hard to understand without context. For once, Gordon's art degree actually paid off.

I just want to see what all the hype is about, I've had some of the best albums in my life sound like trash to me at first listen, I just can't seem to crack this one, could it be my set up?.

Very easily.

Now the lyrics are amazing here. They make the song. No arguing about this.

But musically, it's just 4 chords. Several verses, then noise bridge (rather basic by SY standards). Finishing on strumming the same chord progression with some mild noise variations, post-rock style. Personally, I fucking hate post-rock exactly for its pretentious "expressiveness". But if you like it and it's your thing, of course you will like it, and probably other acts like Mogwai and GY!BE.

You could try to switch between the 2012 remasters and the original one.

Anyway, what makes it so good is a combination of things: super-wide "wall of sound" guitars; clever use of dissonance along melodies and soft female vocals; whammy bar pitch-shifting that causes disorienting, heavenly, "gliding" effect; sound textures, i.e. all kinds of interesting crunch/noise in playing; actually good melodies/songs that sound good catchy even played on acoustic guitar; feeling like you're in bed about to get a succ from Bilinda Butcher.

Thank's bb, what version do you pefer, I'm listening to the remastered version right now.

Since we're on the topic, anyone heard Spinhead Session yet?

fuck you OP , Daydream Nation is as good as Goo

Don't really like this one although I really love Eric's Trip (and the band too is great). Don't know why its considered so highly I guess I had to be there -- but then I also don't like talking heads that much either

For some reason, the second CD remasters are easier to listen to for me. It sounds wider and smoother to me. But the difference is actually not that big.

It does have a little bit weird production: for example, it uses samples and drum machines, and Shields made a mixing engineer walk out of studio, so don't be surprised it can sound a little weird. Plus MBV were Irish but preferred the raw "American" approach to recording, Dinosaur Jr style. So I'd recommend maybe take a listen to Dinosaur Jr.'s You're Living All Over Me or other American alt-rock of the era if you haven't heard it yet.

>boldfaure likes ddn
I didn't expect that desu

TFW Kim looks like a mix between Kurt Cobain and J Mascis

>tfw grow out of lee songs
Fuck me, they used to be my favorites
I just want to enjoy them again familia

>it's a lee song
DN has some of his best. Eric's Trip and Hey Joni are my favorites desu

Lee's output on the record is what redeems it for me. I also love Eric's Trip, used to listen to it on repeat. Lee is the best Sonic, I love virtually all of his songs from Mote and Wish Fullfillment to Genetic and Saucer-Like.

Goo could be way better without filler like Mildred Pierce, Scooter + Jinx. Also, Mary-Christ, Kool Thing and Goo are so goddam primitive it hurts.

Are you listening to it really loud

Same here, but I have listened to them 100 times no less. "Mote" used to be my #1 on last.fm, but it's not that complex of a song. Same with Wish Fulfillment. Still love Genetic though… But Karen Revisited is a fucking masterpiece. It's Lee's magnum opus IMO.

I think Ranaldo should have made solo albums from Dirty onward. He'd make a great melodic alt rock and not limit himself to 1 song per album. He could get more famous than SY with enough hype—he had excellent pop sensibilities and wasn't so stubborn about making unpopular music.