OH SHIT

OH SHIT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fmGWSm2a3Es
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confusion_Is_Sex
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Finally someone gives this album what it deserves.

Too bad he's a cunt.

Sup Forums doesn't give Flambambo enough credit, everybody thought he'd pan it.

Ah, sorry OP; he just tweeted that it's supposed to be a .9

everybody thought P4k would pan it too

turns out Fantano and P4K were the only reviewers who DIDN'T make a big deal about the allegations

p4k had at least 10 articles when the whole thing was unravelling

I meant in the actual review

Is it me or Melon got recently considerably better at what he's doing?

Why? Because you're agreeing with him?

Even if I didn't I'd still say his reviews are now better than ever before.

he's good at articulating what he likes or dislikes about an album. some people hate him because he shits on stuff they like, or dislikes it for weird reasons. but in general he's very good at what he does, since he's been doing it for a while now.

15:36

FUCK YOU SPOILER

shit up

>he's never heard a cymbal choke before

pathetic desu

I've heard ur mom choke LOL

did you try to save her

They had an entire paragraph about that shit

they basically said the lyrics were scary when taking into account the allegations, which is still taking it too far imo

>Too bad he's a cunt.

What has he done to you? Oh wait, he gave your favorite album an average score.

He's never reviewed any of my favourite albums. The reason I know he's a cunt is because all e-celebs are.

it's just you

i literally said in a thread like 2 days ago "dude loves swans, he won't give it less than a 9"

>another strong 9
Reminder that had he not already given death grips or swans a 10 both of their new albums would have gotten 10s

Sup Forums literally BTFO

E D G Y
D
G
Y

But it actually makes sense since both records are amazing yet not groundbreaking for the particular bands. Where as To be kind and The money store, were more fresh at the time with debatably the same quality

Dis goin be gud

I guess you could say that he gave The Glowing Man a... GLOWING review!

go back to r/Sup Forums

Swans haters having less to feel validated about can do nothing but good things for the world.

XD give this man gold!

Is that his highest rating of the year? I don't watch Melonhead anymore.

yes but it's tied with Death Grips' Bottomless Pit

damn
I was disappointed by both albums

And Bowie's Black Star

Blackstar was only a LIGHT 9.

He was too kind on the shorter songs. While he's right that they're much needed intermissions of sorts, between the longer tracks, they're really nothing memorable. I get a serious case of deja-vu when I listen to all of them. They sound like they're just retreading old ground, really uninspired and doesn't really contributed anything beyond being breathers.

>Fandango's AOTY is between Deaf Grapes and Swans
Unless a random 10 comes out of nowhere, there's actually some suspense here.

Is there any actual reason to take his reviews seriously? He doesn't know shit about anything and creates about as much discussion as a typical Sup Forums thread

>creates about as much discussion as a typical Sup Forums thread
Not even close. I don't love him either but just look at what passes for discussion around here.

Except Fantano reviews basically come down to a ten minute "I like this" video

That's most of Sup Forums. Someone likes something and then others disagree

the only time he gives his opinion is the score at the end and maybe a little in the review itself.
90% of the 'review' is him describing tracks, aka useless - if i've heard them you don't need to describe them. if i haven't, what's the point of going so in depth. lmao fantano a cuck

HOW COME EVERYTIME YOU COME AROUND, MY LONDON-LONDON BRIDGE WANNA COME DOWN

Speaking in earnest about songs and what you like about them is what reviewing music should be about. It shouldn't be about being as verbose as you possibly can, pulling out as many references to literature as you can out of your ass and speaking in metaphors.

The average critic is so fucking pretentious and full of themselves, seeing a hobbyist just talk about good old music and what they love about it is so much better.

Xiu Xiu's cover of the Twin Peaks soundtrack also got a 9.

Didn't he also just give the new Nails album a 9?

if he gave a 5/10 to this album you would hate him, just be honest, hes on your side, just for this time, you are lost in the ping-pong i hate him/i agree with him"can't form my own opinion" phase,

the bad bitches always come back

haven't kept up on the discussion for this album. has anyone noticed this yet?
youtube.com/watch?v=fmGWSm2a3Es

Michael Gira wrote this for them.

sauce?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confusion_Is_Sex

Check the writing credits. He also talks about this on the young god page for TGM.

>We liked the idea of having fun with music,” recalls Moore, “and Mike once said to me, ‘This is not fun.’” Gordon and Gira’s shared art-school background in Los Angeles was an obvious point of connection between Swans and Sonic Youth, though, and the two bands found other common ground. Neither attracted a large crowd, and both felt like outsiders even in an outsiders' community. “Nobody liked either of our bands that we knew of,” says Moore, “so we bonded.” They were comrades in sonic assault and isolation.
Starting in the spring of 1982, Sonic Youth and Swans began doubling up for bills at whatever clubs would have them… “Typically, Swans would drive people out of the room with volume and the violence of the sound,” says Gira, “so Sonic Youth was happy to play first, so they’d at least have whatever paltry audience we both drew before Swans scared them away.”

yeah i mean i know they were homies back in the day. but you're just assuming that the song was dedicated to sonic youth? (that was my assumption too, i was just wondering if there was any solid evidence)

>The song ‘The World Looks Red / The World Looks Black’ uses some words I wrote in 1982 or so that Sonic Youth used for their song ‘The World Looks Red’, back in the day. The music and melody used here in the current version are completely different. While working up material for this new album, I had a basic acoustic guitar version of the song and was stumped for words. For reasons unknown to me, the lyric I’d so long ago left in my typewriter in plain view at my living and rehearsal space (the latter of which Sonic Youth shared at the time) and which Thurston plucked for use with my happy permission, popped into my head and I thought “Why not?” The person that wrote those words well over three decades ago bears little resemblance to who I am now, but I believe it remains a useful text, so “Why not?”. Maybe, in a way, it closes the circle.

there's always ONE random 10 lurking out there in the murky depths of releases

>better at opinions

tfw he watched jane die

I don't get the 15:36 meme

This.

People always seem to level this criticism against Fantano that he only discusses music in terms of what he specifically enjoys and that this hurts him from being considered a legitimate reviewer. But honestly the fact that people would want to discuss music in any other fashion on a large scale is pretty fucking gross. I'm not saying that there isn't any kind of objectivity to the craft of music making, but I sure as hell know that some shitty pitchfork writer isn't qualified to do it. The whole music reviewing scene would be much more honest and genuine if people actually took the other approach where it's obvious that the only objective terms you're speaking in are being filtered through your own subjective lens.

So I got free Swans tix with that ticketmaster thing, but I've only heard the glowing man and some of to be kind. Where should I start? It's in a couple of weeks so I have time.

>Finally someone gives this album what it deserves
but it's getting great reviews

If you listened to The Glowing Man and liked it, you should do The Seer and To Be Kind next.

There really is no objective order to how you should listen to SWANS. To Be Kind was a great introduction to many now-fans of the band. But often people will recommend other albums before that one just because TBK is more challenging, but that obviously doesn't mean anything since TBK and The Seer has been a great starting point for most fans today.

So just listen to whatever, if you hate what you're hearing the only thing that's important to know is that they've covered a wide range of sounds and disliking one album does not mean you will not dislike the others.

for the purposes of seeing them live, it may not matter what you listen to. At least the last couple tours consisted of a couple of songs on the newest album (usually somewhat reworked) and then a bunch of new shit they're working on.

However, considering this is something of a "goodbye tour" for this lineup, it may actually have a bunch of dope songs from to be kind, the seer, and even older (stuff like Coward or something that they've played live in recent years)

but here's a guide

When did Pitchfork say this?

Objectively a 7 tbdesu.

I'm in this user's same situation, but this is my first time experiencing SWANS live. I've listened to all of their albums and enjoy each one immensely besides BW and My Father Will Guide Me. What should I prepare for? And will this really be the final time we get to see this lineup? If so this would be a moment I would not want to miss.

back to Sup Forums

That was an 8