RIP

pitchfork.com/news/62815-parliamentfunkadelics-bernie-worrell-dead-at-72/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gVv94T5LF0c
youtube.com/watch?v=psS6FxcikQE
youtube.com/watch?v=JbYKFbD1Ysc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

:(

Is this the time Sup Forums pretends they liked funk despite every /funk+soul/ thread having no more than 5 posters, ever?

Funkadelic probably the only funk band Sup Forums does know.

He did also play with Talking Heads, and they're pretty Sup Forumscore

/thread

>tfw mothership connection is on my backlog shortlist but i can't listen to it because it would make me a poseur

i don't know what i'm gonna do when bootsy dies

Well, they were the only good funk band in the 70s. Because let's be honest, like all genres of music, funk became mainstream, watered down crud by that time.

RIP Wizard of Woo.
What a fantastic and inventive player

>they were the only funk band in the 70s i've heard of

fixed for ya.

God fucking damn it. RIP.

Deserves a sticky but shit mods can't feel the funk

He doesn't deserve a sticky, this is like the hundredth musician to die this year, we don't need a sticky for every single one.

He was a part of Sup Forumscore tho
Played with Funkadelic, Parliament, Talking Heads, and even Ween

Funkadelic was one of the greatest rock bands of the 70s, let alone funk, and Bernie Worrell was a huge part of that. Amazing songwriter and a literal musical savant, probably one of the few that found mainstream success. RIP.

STILL ALVE MOTHERFUCKERS

>Poseur-core fuckboy dies

Good riddance, maybe some of you will grow up and get some real taste in music, you dumb avant-teens.

Fuck.

hey montie, put your trip back on so i can filter you, you pathetic faggot

Yes we do. This is a board that celebrates music.

1/10

How the fuck is he poseur-core? I'm an embryo and appreciate his work. Go away.

Then we should give Ralph Stanley a sticky, he died last night and was even more influential of a musician.

not even gonna pretend i was a huge fan.

my friend is though, dude is probably hitting the bong extra hard right now listening to his parliament funkadelic vinyl collection.

did know him through his talking heads tenure though, definitely worked well with the band.

rip

>old bluegrass fucker
>more influential in modern music than soul singer/keyboardist whose popularity was even revitalized by gorillaz
nice

>Good riddance

Yes, yes we should.

We can only hope that this will increase the interest in funk + soul generals.

What a fucking bummer

FUCK.

Another synthesizer god, lost.

Fuck cancer and fuck this year.

>tfw Sup Forums is suddenly going to pretend they love funk

i like funk

funk you

RIP
Loved him on Speaking in Tongues and Stop Making Sense
youtu.be/gVv94T5LF0c

You people don't even know what stickies are for do you?

First of all, I only like Funkadelic's albums with Eddie Hazel.

Second of all, I tried starting Funkadelic threads and they always died before reaching 20 posts.

hell be fine

Mang, I know who Commodores, Kool & The Gang, War, and Barry White were.

Funkadelic [Westbound, 1970]

Q: Mommy, what's a Parliament? A: Someone from North Carolina who discovered eternity on acid and vowed to contain it in a groove. Q: Mommy, what's a Funkadelic? A: The ham hock in your corn flakes, sweetie. Now eat your breakfast. C+

America Eats Its Young [Westbound, 1972]

Their racial hostility is much preferable to the brotherhood bromides of that other Detroit label, but their taste in white people is suspect: it's one thing to put down those who "picket this and protest that" from their "semi-first-class seat," another to let the Process Church of the Final Judgment provide liner notes on two successive albums. I overlooked it on Maggot Brain because the music was so difficult to resist, but here the strings (told you about their taste in white people), long-windedness (another double-LP that should be a single), and programmatic lyrics ("Miss Lucifer's Love" inspires me to mention that while Satanism is a great antinomian metaphor it often leads to murder, rape, etc.) leave me free to exercise my prejudices. Primary exception: "Biological Speculation," a cautionary parable about the laws of nature/the jungle. Secondary exception: "Loose Booty." Remember what Hank Ballard says, you guys: how you gonna get respect if you haven't cut your process yet? C+

Pleb.

Rest in peace, keyboard master

P-funk is the only sort of funk Sup Forums ever cares about sadly.
Also, I like some of what he did with folks like Buckethead and Claypool. Crossover that actually worked.

The 70s in general was a weak decade for black music--the record industry treated it as irrelevant and mostly just fit for low budget party/dance singles. Aside from George Clinton, very few black artists did anything edgy or groundbreaking during that decade. I mean, nobody ever accused Kool & The Gang of making 2deep4u social commentary.

72 is pretty young :(
RIP

i love praxis so this is a huge loss

curious to see how buckethead handles this

rip

>The 70s in general was a weak decade for black music
What are you taking, I want some of it. You can't be sober and that wrong.
>James Brown's peak
>Stevie Wonder's only relevent decade
>growth of funk and crossover with jazz
>development of reggae into many branch genres

The average life expectancy of a black male is 69 (76 for white males), so actually it's not.

he played on all the great Parliament-Funkadelic albums, including:
>Mothership Connection
>Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome
>One Nation Under a Groove
plus a huge part of the Talking Heads touring band during the Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues tours:
youtube.com/watch?v=psS6FxcikQE
rest in peace Bernie. synth wiz extraordinaire, no other like him.
youtube.com/watch?v=JbYKFbD1Ysc

my boy here gets it

rip bernie, a true king taken

That's sad.

Top fucking kek

You clearly know nothing about this so why bother

RIP Bernie

Glad i got to meet you and thank you for your music

I don't like funk but I can still appreciate an important person in music history.

Hi Sid from toy story

This must be a troll

No one can be this stupid

>this is what white people really believe

How the fuck did he outlive George Clinton? Clinton was LITERALLY a homeless crackhead living in a van.