What's the worst classic you've listened to?

What's the worst classic you've listened to?

this just bored me tbf

It's just too bland for me. I liked their earlier stuff better.

baka you're all plebs

The Smiths discog

I agree with this one. "How Soon is Now?" is the only good track they've ever made.

SPANISH BOMBS

I feel bad for people that can't appreciate this album, I really couldn't live without it.

you're just a very stupid boy.

Are you a girl?

maybe I have to relisten, but when it was done I just felt like I had wasted an hour, I mean it wasn't bad, but literally no tracks stood out, except for maybe the title track

Don't worry, this is exactly how I felt when I listened to it. It really is just more than a punk-rock album, you realize that with more listens.

no
listen to headmaster ritual and tell me with a straight face how soon is now is the only good track they've done
in face: the entirety of meat is murder

>the title track

guns of brixton is the best on the album

listen to sandinista!

ShEd Up

enjoyed the first track, couldnt get into the rest

tried it 3 times... just can't get into it. i feel like it hasn't aged very well

Can I say Pinkerton? It was literally just whiny immature college aged white boy rock complaining about women and how hard life is and fetishizing asian women. I've heard it's a character he's playing but I feel like all of his songs are about topics like this, to a degree. I know a lot of people relate to the feelings of isolation and depression on this album, but to me it just came across as a whiny white boy who thinks life is so hard.

Daydream Nation. Sounded boring and dull. Of course I'm missing it something, because there's no fucking way anyone could think this shit was good if it sounded the same to everyone the same as it did to me.

Explain yourselves.

that's probably in my top 10 ever, and i'm not really sure how to explain it in counterpoint to 'sounded boring and dull.' but i like it a lot for the great punk/metal riffs combined with dreamy noise interludes. for example, the second half of The Sprawl is my favorite part on the album, with how it slowly builds around a hypnotic riff with more and more noise. i will say the album could probably lose rain king or candle, but still.

I agree. I've tried many times to listen to Pinkerton and I just can't stand half of the tracks

Shame.

>artist is not allowed to use their life experience in creating their art

I wish this album sounded more like Disorder. Shadowplay and Interzone is the closest it gets.

Like, it was panned for a reason lol

They can do whatever they want, but I don't have to enjoy it. Just because I don't relate to it doesn't mean there aren't lots of other people who do.

I agree with all of these.
Call me a pleb.
I dare you.

They possessed a great sense of melody coupled with a fresh approach to the rock solo. Listen to Cross the Breeze, The Sprawl, Teenage Riot for some great choons and jams. The lyrics written/sung by Lee suck, but that's just a given with Sonic Youth.

london calling is pgood mang

i agree with you somewhat. i didn't find it boring but it was underwhelming for me. teenage riot is one of my favorite alt rock songs of all time though. maybe the rest of the album just sounded dull in comparison

pleb

Its best moments are downright gorgeous, but as a whole this thing doesn't register as something I would put on regular rotation. Too many ok moments.

Yeah I'm only into about four songs on this album.

>i will say the album could probably lose rain king or candle, but still.
>getting rid of the best song on the album

Why do people like this?

If it had had more Disorders and New Dawn Fades' it would have been the best Post-Punk album of the 70s.

Agreed that most of the earlier stuff is better but I like this album.

bullshit

aight I see it

agree desu, it isn't bad but it gets old fucking quick

don't even comprehend this post desu

YO TE QUIERO INFINITO

>could probably lose candle
candle is the best song in there famalam

puts me to sleep

there is nothing remarkable about this song

Historically speaking, this album is remarkable. Other than that, it just sounds catchy and good. The production is top-notch.

It's not that great to be honest, IMO.

trying to place myself in the year 1980 makes me love this album a lot more. it was incredibly innovative at the time

LETTING THE DAYS GO BY

biggest pleb in the thread

I never liked Like a Rolling Stone, the lyrics aren't bad but the melody is meh. Gates of Eden is a brilliant song though and one of my favorites.

the lyrics in this song are amazing, especially for its time. it drags on too long though

it's accessible, danceable and catchy while also being 'arty', unique and innovative at the time
it's a very easy album to like

the banana album, andy warhol or something
this woman's voice is fucking awful and annoying

I mean she's german and trying to sing in english. Give credit where it's due

what woman? doesn't one guy sing all the album?

Nico sings 4 tracks, I believe.

She's only in 3 tracks.

oh lmao i thought that was lou reed just doing a gay voice
it's the first time i listened to this album sorry

Nico ruined the only potential literal perfect in history.

This junkie slut fucked up an amazing album. Her voice has nothing to do with the accent. This it literal a normie-tier argument.

what the fuck

melody is completely boring.

lyrics are only deep if you are an incel gamer highschooler who just got dumped by one of the popular girls and is seeking catharsis.

saying you like 'like a rolling stone' is the fastest way to reveal that you are a pretentious hack who gets all their music opinions from Anthony Fantano and Pitchfork

WEW
EWE
WEW

wh--what?

WEW

Jesus fuck Sup Forums what happened to you.

you gotta be sad
you gotta have taste

This.

kinda agree. first tracks are great, the rest are just too hard for me to listen.
Sorry Sup Forums I will try again this night

holy shit

this made me genuinely kek

>it's another "Sup Forums shits on a good album because it's popular" episode

>white boy
>white
>boy
considering he had bipolar his life was probably pretty hard lmao

>you have to like everything thats popular because its popular

wew

>saying you like 'like a rolling stone' is the fastest way to reveal that you are a pretentious hack who gets all their music opinions from Anthony Fantano and Pitchfork
please tell me this is bait

>65943570
:|

this post is perfect

the reasons pointed out

it's just fucking FUN, really manic and catchy yet also complex

>oh lmao i thought that was lou reed just doing a gay voice

too bad you cannot appreciate one of the most unique voices in the history of rock. Have you tried her solo stuff?

get out

nico doesn't sound anything like lou reed what the fuck

This whole post is a mess are you ok

Jesus Christ I'm not even mad this is one of the most genuinely funny moments on this thread holy s h i t

I don't get Swans

What's not to get? Some of the album is amazing, some of it isn't.

agree

If the emotional side doesn't catch you, and you haven't gotten near that point in your life you might not enjoy it.

That's true, that would definitely make things more difficult. I wasn't aware he had bipolar.

Swans are one of my favorites but they're also a band I can genuinely say aren't for everyone. No fault of your own there.

That being said

W E W
E
W

This album is overrated, people act like it's their best but the reality is that it's a handful of great songs with countless throwaway ambient/experimental/miscellaneous snippets thrown in. I can understand liking the disorienting and expansive sound of it but whenever I listen to it I just find myself waiting for one of the substantial post-rock songs to start.
Check out The Great Annihilator though, Swans are genuinely a great band. That's just not the best place to start with them.

Please don't start with Soundtracks.
Swans feels like something greater at times, start with Children of God or White Light from the Mouth of Infinity.

Basically the things it innovated with were copied by college rock for decades. Sister and EVOL are better anyways. Just remember that MAster-Dik isn't actually the closer.

>rain king or candle
Those are two of the best songs on the albums though.

I can't listen to this album without laughing now.

FOR FUCKS SAKE SOMEONE CAP THIS

>he reality is that it's a handful of great songs with countless throwaway ambient/experimental/miscellaneous snippets thrown in.

W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

Soundtracks is made to work as a larger piece with a collective atmosphere, tone and feeling that it leaves you with. To see it for the individual songs is really missing the point. Individual discs, maybe but songs? No.

The idea of Lou Reed "doing a gay voice" and it sounding like Nico just cracks me up for some reason

Bob Dylan's full discography

meme voice

these, with London Calling being the worst, only good track is the title track.

I really have tried to see it that way but I just can't. Hell, I'm a sucker for huge, atmospheric albums, but stuff like Yum Yab Killers and Hypogirl bookending epic, heavy tracks like The Sound make it feel inconsistent and break whatever immersion I have going.

i just listened to To Be Kind for the first time. The beginning of the album especially has some really good sounds. but the rest of it is really really bad.

especially that 30 minute marathon song and the part where he tries to speak spanish. never try to sing in languages you don't know how to speak.

he can't roll his rs and he sounds like he has downs syndrome.

this has been my entrance and exit from the Swans Universe. It's been..... something.

Paul Simon - Graceland