Have been active for over 3 decades

>Have been active for over 3 decades
>Innovated and changed every genre they performed
>Their current material is arguably their best

Explain how Swans aren't objectively the greatest rock band in history.

They are.

They aren't.

Because they make shit music

Hello pleb.

I have never heard of Swans outside of Sup Forums (AKA Swans circlejerk)

because the rape

I doubt you could say they performed in any more genres than one. But I agree their new stuff is good.

this is because you have no friends or live in the middle of Indianna

did you mean to reply to OP?

They have been part of several genre movements but they have always been unique and insulated.
Kind of like Bowie t.b.h
They do belong in the highlights of no wave, noise rock, post-punk and post-rock.

Rapist music made for rapers

Soundtracks for the Blind is the culmination of the NY Downtown music scene.

Really need to start listening to them.

Chronological? Are EPs necessary?

Children of God and Soundtracks are their best and probably most innovative. Reunion swans is just like post drone with soft guitar stuff thrown in somewhere. I do think they did no wave better than any others at the time

Their eras are so different from one another it really depends.

yes and yes

pic related is my swans library. listen to all of this at least. there are a couple more albums from side/solo projects and several live albums I've skipped for now though.

HIGHLY recommending going through it all chronologically. Very interesting to see their progression.

disagree, going chronologically is the best way for a band with a discography as varied and consistent as Swans

Here.

Thanks everybody. I think I'll start with Filth and Soundtracks. If I like both equally I'll go back and go chronologically, if not I'll explore the paths separately.

I'll try and find a good download for them later.

>>Innovated and changed every genre they performed

No, they were on the tails of every genre they performed in and dropped it as soon as it was loosing popularity. See: why TBW is hated.

you´re just bunch of depressed insecure hipsters who pretend shouting memes will fix your broken social life

>>Their current material is arguably their best

damn p4k drones
I miss the time when only goth listened to Swans.

>Their current material is arguably their best
Wrong

Dude they changed the following genres:
Post-rock
No wave
Post gothic

Why do you people think only in terms of "genres".
It's like you learned to listen to music through last.fm tags

literally only autistic faggots give a shit about those genres

Because we're all genre autists

it's just how the human brain works, we like categories, as meaningless as they are

BEATLES MAN LMAO

The Beatles

What a fucking autist

>Innovated and changed every genre they performed
[citation needed] except for maybe no wave

they didn't innovate no wave, nothing did.
they innovated noise rock, industrial and post-rock. and also everyone who was impressed by the extremity.

how does that make me an autist lmao

>Swans
>good
>tfw people actually think this

start with The Great Annihilator and To Be Kind. Filth and Soundtracks for the Blind are not accessible at all unless you're already into the band

or actually, rather many things did innovate no wave, but the acts making up no wave had all kinds of influences (biggest one was Suicide), Glenn Branca being probably the only one who influenced the others in a notable way

The only people who like this band are tryhard hipsters who think male prostitutes talking over white noise is actual music.

Fuck this band, this is the source of all pretentiousness in the music industry today and Gira is an unlikable rapist fuck who should've been shot when he started stomping fingers. Fuck this band and fuck the autists who like them.

Listen to real man music like Staind and Limp Biskit.

This bait would have caught somebody if it wasn't for the last line