Thoughts on To Pimp A Butterfly

Since its been a year since one of raps biggest album. And all the hype seems to have died down.
Real thoughts on To Pimp A Butterfly

Reddit is down the hall, to the left

>all niggers want is to drink, get money and kil whitey
Kendick is a FUCKING RACIST

What's your favorite album boi?

Where is this fantano pic from

I don't know?
But if () name me your favorite album boi.

It's pretty good. Defiitely not "10/10 MOST IMPORTANT ALBUM OF THE DECADE!! xD" but damn good.

GKMC is better anyway

>he does not get the album
kek

A hell of an album, any rating below 8 is unfair IMO. It holds so much passion and dedication, it has brilliant production and it's quite diverse. I love it.

8.5/10

Definitely one of the most important albums of the decade. GKMC will go down as the better album though.

It's a great album. I'm not sure I enjoy it more than GKMC but it's more innovative and ambitious for sure.

TPAB left overs > GKMC

Several moments on the album really impress me - particularity Lamar's lyricism on more political tracks like Blacker the Berry or Alright for example. However, the over and immense usage of jazz instrumentation just comes off as pretentious and drags it down to a, for a lack of a better term, shit meme.

lol

its one of, if not the, albums of 2015.

Its alright. Not for me, but i appreciate it for how much love he put into it

I LOVE
LM
O Y
V. S
E. E
L
F

>tries to offer some legitimate insight into the lyrics
>goes on to refer to the production as "meme shit"
Opinion discarded

it was the only way.

kill yourself

Production wise it sounded like some giant monster ate the beats of Aquemini or Stankonia and then barfed them up, and the vomit became this albums sound.

The politically charged lyrics with heavy social commentary are Hopsin-tier cringe. Nowhere is this more apparent then in the pathetic, cancer-inducing "The Blacker The Berry" where Kendrick sounds like a noisy kid that just keeps on yelling "I'M BEING POLITICAL" "THESE LYRICS WILL MAKE A CHANGE" while his mom keeps telling him otherwise.

The skits are also terrible, particularly the last one, where the most overrated rapper of today is posing questions to the most overrated rapper ever.

But the worst thing about this shitty album is the fact that Kendrick never sound honest on any song, it never feels like all of theis shit is coming straight from his heart, it feels like somebody made him do this album, which left me feeling like i was cheted, double-crossed after listening to it.

It was good. Like, really good. Probably a decent 9/10. It wasnt perfect and I don't agree with all the messages, but on an artistic level, it was pretty impressive. People shouldn't compare it to Good Kid MAAD City. They're totally different albums with different intentions.

It sets the bar pretty high though. Untitled Unmastered wasn't nearly the same level, which, I know it wasn't supposed to be, but still.

because of what

I listened to it for the first time yesterday.

I really liked it, and although I think it's more socially relevant to a wider audience than GKMC I think it spread itself a little too thin. The concept and the "twist" at the end was amazing though. I had no idea that was coming.

It felt like such a leap to go from a fairly standard rap album (thematically, that is) to TPaB though and it's almost like he bit off more than he could chew.

Vocally, The Blacker the Berry must be one of the best rap tracks I've ever heard.

>911, lies
Outkast albums aren't jazzy like this one, they have a strong dirty south influence.

He sounds like a genuine guy who didn't expect to get that big, and trie to use this fame to make his fans think a bit.

You judge people on their popularity or their quality ?

That's because the concept of his albums are to impersonate characters.

apologies for bad english btw

>I don't agree with all the messages
like which?

The record has a core problem, which is that every criticism at its lyrics get the response of "YOU DONT GET IT". The lyrics are great, claiming they arent is retarded, just like claiming that theyre too complicated for people that dont like them is retarded. Its in a very weird spot.

It was really interesting to me that it seemed like nobody really gave a shit about TPAB right when it came out.

It got really good reviews and everything, but it didn't seem to me like people were cumming themselves over it.

Then the time for top 10 lists came, and I think around the same time, a lot of reflection on the black american issues in the news, and then people started to cum over the album.

anyone else notice / think this?

It seemed like nobody cared too much about the album until they could (or had a reason to) contextualize it.

ALLL DAYY LONG

Pretty much what you said, but I'd give it a 9 personally. It's a fucking great album and a genuine pity so many people fail to see beyond the political aspects of it. I loved it when it came out and I still love it today, however I must admit that it lost some of its magic, it doesn't hit as hard emotionally anymore. In that sense gkmc has a lot more replay value and I came to prefer it to Tpab. good kid m.A.A.c still gets better with every listen. Can't wait to see where Kendrick goes with his music next.

I give it a 3

I think it's an amazing album that demonstrates Kendrick's ability to balance flow, lyricism, and songwriting and create interesting songs that don't fit any conventional standards for hip-hop. One of the best rap albums of the past 20 years for sure

It was never good

I mean yeah, a lot of people on Sup Forums can't seem to, and refuse to, grasp or even understand race politics. A lot of people's criticisms of the album show this. They think like racism is over? Lol.
This album is much similar to GKMC, in the sense that GKMC is a narrative of a black man growing up in "the hood" around gang violence, crime, coming to terms with it all and what not. While TPAB goes more broad talking about being black in America. A variation of tracks from the optimistic "Alright" and "i" to the depressing, mental fuckery racism does to a black man in "Blacker the Berry" or even his commentary on the effects of racism within the black community on "For Free?" which is interesting. To normies, it sounds like hip-hop gibberish, but Kendrick has such a way with words, metaphors, and thought in his lyrics. Best mainstream artist currently.

good kid maad city is still the superior album by a large margin

The shitty poem that keeps getting repeated coupled with the "jazz" instruments makes it the best meme album ever.

convoluted mess of unrelatable themes and pretty boring story-telling compared to good kid maad city.

still a really good album regardless imo

fuck off melon

It was trash then and its trash now

Biggest snoozefest of the year