why does everyone dislike this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=tb58whO5ybU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

7.4 burrito on a windshield

I really love the album

i like it

liars you're only pretending.

It's a great album, but because Pitchfork launched the burrito meme, people decided to hate it.

the burrito shattered on the windshield and destroyed the album for everyone. I think it was atleast an 8 tho.

too much Avey not enough Panda and Deakin's song is terrible

But overall it's pretty good.

Honestly it's just mediocre compared to their other albums. Most of the songs are good, but it never hits the heights their other albums do.
Rosie Oh is one of the better songs on CHz, but if it were on MPP it would stick out as one of the worst.

I prefer Painting With.

horrible album art

>7.4

>Deakin's song is terrible
lol
Anyway, I think it's probably just the cover. People are stupid.

It was a decent idea that wasn't executed well. See Slasher Flicks for Avey giving it another go and making slight improvements in some areas.

I like the cover and the music within.

OP. I really enjoy this album too. I'm always confused when people say Painting With is better.

Slasher Flicks doesn't deserve all of the comparison to CHz, it's got much more minimal production and focus on rhythmic elements. Sure it's similar in some ways but so are all of their other releases dating back to Feels

I fucking love the tropical vibes of Father Time.

>Wide Eyed is horrible

I'm assuming he's never heard this version.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=tb58whO5ybU

I've already stated my case on this album a hundred times, I don't have the energy anymore.
Not sure if you're being honest or not, but if you are, I truly envy you. Anyway, it's not even the latest Animal Collective album anymore, so you don't have to act like you like it now. Painting With is the one we'll be pretending is good for the next four to five years now, until they put out another poorly conceived thirty minute album in 2050.

>I've already stated my case on this album a hundred times, I don't have the energy anymore.
It's not like we know who you are. How are we supposed to know why you don't like it if you don't tell us.

Why even post?

I hate how once Pitchfork states an opinion that you hold or previously held, you can't share that opinion anymore without being seen as a Pitchfork drone. By saying that the only people who don't like it are being swayed by Pitchfork, you're saying the album is unanimously good, which is audibly not the case.

That's a fucking depressing way to look at it

You know it to be true. They've been on a steady decline since MPP/(HC/Gotham)

These people can't write songs, see Applesauce.

it sounds really cluttered and for all the tension that creates in the music, there's very little release

why would I act like I like something, especially anonymously

I'm not a trip, I'm not some kid trying to defend my taste in real life.

there's some fucking awesome jams on CHz, my main gripe with it is that most of the songs lack the previously great structures and progression that AC is so good at making.

But songs like Monkey Riches, Amanita, Today's Supernatural, Rosie Oh Wide Eyed, and Mercury Man are fucking fantastic.

Do yourself a favor. Load the album up on your phone, put in your headphones and put on your running shoes, and try going for a run for the entire duration of the album.

This album is the only music that resonates with the persistence, energy, and exhaustion of exercise. Whenever I listen to it I feel like I'm on a runner's high.

The intensity of all the different sounds on the album truly does sound like a centipede, like the radiowaves of aliens being picked up on your radio as you hurdle through space.

The aesthetic package that AC has shipped with this album is unique, memorable, interesting, and resonant. The songs don't express sadness or happiness or fright, they express very specific emotions and reflect very specific moments and feelings in life.

I believe that's at the core of the issue, is that many people just aren't going to resonate with the musical expression. And that's okay. You don't have to pretend to like it or resonate. But don't tell me that people pretend to like it out of pity or posuer.

Also Honeycomb is the jam of a fucking lifetime and should have made it onto the album.

The mixing is weird and anco is dated, otherwise a solid album 8/10 for its time

The songs just sound really sloppy and poorly written and underdeveloped. A lot of the songs start out sounding like they're going to be cool, and then just go nowhere, like they abandoned the idea. Wide Eyed starts out sounding cool, but does absolutely nothing interesting as far as the progression of the song goes, and just ends up sounding awkward as fuck. New Town Burnout sounds like it really, really wants to be a great song, but it just goes around and around in meaningless circles, like they had a cool idea that they just couldn't fully pull off. And on Amanita, which often gets sited as "the good track" on here, it just sound like it's trying so hard to go for the "great closing track" that it's embarrassing. Those are the good tracks I'm talking about. The rest of the album sounds absolutely repulsive.

i don't think it's bad i just don't think it's particularly great
it's kinda like comparing the spiritual successor of a game to its predecessor, where the preceding material is great in a unique way and the successor fails to carry that unique quality/energy of Animal Collective, but on its own, as an experimental psych-rock album, it's pretty decent
a solid 6.8, bordering on 7

It's noisey in a bad way, too cluttered, everyone points this out. Not enough good harmonies which people grew to love them for. Tried the "back to our roots" approach, but didn't go back to their roots. As someone else pointed out, too much Avey, which in the past wasn't good, but Panda surpassed him sonically as time went by.