Live albums

ITT: I never listen to live albums. Is there a point? I have never felt compelled to.

I've tried live albums once or twice. I enjoy live music and live shows but a live album is far from replicating that from personal experience.

Perhaps if it is dramatically different to the original recording. Like an orchestral or acoustic version, but otherwise, what's the point?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sme_rfO4k0c&index=15&list=PLfTdiqrCoqkcSvUTd5yHDRR22QdlAdCNO
youtube.com/watch?v=K3b6SGoN6dA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah you're right on that. Especially for rock there not really a point cause most bands basically replicate the recorded stuff.

Swans has some good live albums I think and there are a lot or good jazz ones cause solos actually make a difference there most of the time.

some live versions are way better than the studio versions

there, did that take a lot of imagination?

They're just lower quality versions of the normal songs with occasional new solos and/or adlibs.

No thanks.

Alright, you're clearly just fucking around, I get it.

The idea that there has never been a superior live version of a song is insane. We could list thousands.

You've clearly made up your mind on this subject and yet you're pretending to want to discuss it. Just odd behavior, man.

Oasis has a few that have a really nice sound on the live album. I've never heard any other live songs which are better.

List these thousands then, please.

I think you're in the minority here, rarely do people listen to live versions over originals I find.

Every Bruce Springsteen song is better live, the guy is an amazing performer which doesnt always come across on his albums

>Ditto for live albums. Live albums are usually... bad albums. The improvised format rarely yields good music. A studio album has been made (hopefully) by selecting the best takes of a piece. The odds that a live version is as good as a studio version are rather slim. Which is exactly what I keep finding in live albums: bad versions of studio cuts.

/thread

autism

Fucking rebuttal of the century right here!

literally everything by death grips is better live because they add live drums

^ this

lou reed take no prisoners is GOAT

Depends upon the band. A lot of progressive rock bands are better live, and of course anything remotely punk.

Kansas in particular are a million times better live. Their best albums have the worst fucking sound engineering. It's like mellow soft rock on the album, hard rock live. No joke.

This is way, way better than anything else Sam Cooke ever did.

Fahey's - The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick, Fela Ransome-Kuti and The Africa '70 With Ginger Baker - Live!, Rosa Yemen - s/t, Taj Mahal Travellers, and Taku Sugimoto & Moe Kamura] - Live in Saritote are really good as well.
But also a lot of jazz, noise, and free improvisation related music is often better/more interesting live.

Just off the top of my head
Nirvana- Unplugged in New York (best of there albums)
Daft Punk- Alive 97 and 07
There's a good Bowie one
Talking Heads- Stop making Sense
Radiohead has plenty of good live stuff
The live show on the Violent Femmes S/T on the anniversery edition is amazing

imo live albums are terrible and you should be hanged if you enjoy them

this is the most fucked up, myopic view i've ever heard

if you care enough about instrumentation and technique to really have your experience dramatically changed by only hearing the best takes, then you should also appreciate hearing them try something different live, or fuck up a solo live, or have their voice fucked from touring but still trying to sing, or the band becoming tighter after playing the same set over and over, or appreciate the live energy

Two solid opinions, but who is right?

youtube.com/watch?v=Sme_rfO4k0c&index=15&list=PLfTdiqrCoqkcSvUTd5yHDRR22QdlAdCNO

Alt country is a lot more rocking live senpai

Deep Purple is known for making one of the best live albums ever made. The solos on this thing are and endless bliss

Also from the top of my head:
Built to Spill - Live
The Who - Live at Leeds
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged

No one mention this yet?

Black Sabbath live in the 70s was better than their 70s albums (even though they're really good), especially Bill Ward.
youtube.com/watch?v=K3b6SGoN6dA

To add a few I remember

Cheap Trick at the Budokan
Zappa has tons of great live albums that are now coming to spotify
NOFX - I heard they suck live
Sublime - Stand By Your Van
The White Stripes - Under Northern/Nova Scotian Lights
Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
Phish has tons
Hendrix - Woodstock, Monterey Pop and Winterland
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
AJJ - Live At The Crescent Ballroom
Queen - Wembley
RATM - Grand Olympic Auditorium
Blink-182 - The Mark Tom And Travis Show (even though Tom's voice is auto-tuned to shit it's still better than studio versions of most songs)
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison

>seated audience

Why is this allowed?

Yeah, I don't know. Sitting in a concert takes the fun out of it.

FUCKING THIS, BETS LIVE ALBUM
It has the best versions of any song in it.
You get the hits AND fucking Long Season in it's entirety.

Also:
>Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
>Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
>Grateful Dead - Live / Dead
>Daft Punk - Alive 07
>Justice (the one that came with the first album)
>Radiohead - In Basement

Kraftwerk's Minimum-Maximum is honestly the best live album I have ever heard

It was the 70s, people were more orderly in those days, not like these chaotic times we live in.

This.

Reminder that live albums are inferior and shitty overall.

>the tameness of the studio can match the inspiration that hits in the middle of performance

Music was made to be watched anyway, unless you're a faggot who makes beats and just presses play on his mac

Are you retarded?

McCartney - Wings Over America
The Who - Live at Leeds
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Rush - All The World's a Stage
Cheap Trick - At Budokan
Ramones - It's Alive
Nirvana - Live at the Paramount
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Dead Kennedys - Live at the Deaf Club
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Nirvana - Unplugged

...among many many others

fecal matter is his best album

Those 25 minutes of Dazed and Confused, man..

>mfw OP probably just wanted recs for live albums

I'll do this sometimes when I want recommendations that are deeper than shitty charts

But do people listen to these over the live versions?

Over the studio versions? Sometimes. Some songs are definitely better live.

>listing trash
You sure make your point.