/Noise/

i feel like it has been far too long. let's talk noise. what've you been listening to lately? i've been enjoying the work of Opaque a lot

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H0L8510BYqo
youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6QhTKrIFA
youtube.com/watch?v=cNcJluJtP2o
youtube.com/watch?v=rBtjIJzNymc
youtube.com/watch?v=bstP6yvdmzU
pastebin.com/PhhV6eSx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>i've been enjoying the work of Opaque a lot
What do you enjoy about it?

The new GRIM was ok but I wasn't extremely impressed, sorta disappointed to be honest

well after being initially attracted by the unique visual aesthetic i quickly found the walls themselves very enjoyable. i like the soft, crunchy textures and how generally low-pitched and ominous it sounds. it's dark but almost soothing at the same time

>walls themselves very enjoyable
Why?
>i like the soft, crunchy textures and how generally low-pitched and ominous it sounds
What do you like about it specifically?

what do you like

What are some noise-influenced albums? As in, noise obviously has a huge influence but it isn't purely noise? Please refrain from posting noise rock btw

The walls are enjoyable for me because they have a pleasant balance of harshness and listenability. They have enough rumble and crackle to keep me engaged but not too much that it's painful to listen through an album. I like the diversity between tracks and the wide palette of sounds being incorporated.

For me at least I find visual aesthetic critical, especially when it comes to noise. While some may argue that I should base my opinions solely off the music itself, I will just say that the visual and audio components are inseparable for me. That being said I think the distinct visual aesthetic of this project really enhances my overall enjoyment

Lots of raw black metal falls into this category for me, especially projects like black cilice

I've been going through some of the essentials. Merzbow's Hybrid Noisebloom is my favorite so far, and Metal Machine Music was surprisingly good. Hanatarash was good too but pretty exhausting.

>hey lets talk about ____
>but don't ask me about it please, I don't walk to talk about it
What do you mean about the balance of harshness and listenability? Isn't anything listenable?
Why do you need "rumble" to keep you engaged?

Have you checked out any Incapacitants or masonna yet? I like incapacitants a lot as far as japanoise goes because of their HNW leanings, since I really enjoy HNW.
To clarify this post, I'm not sure that black metal is necessarily knowingly influenced by noise but projects like the aforementioned black cilice, as well as striborg and carved cross, are very very noisy.

>Have you checked out any Incapacitants or masonna yet?
Nope, but I will. Thanks for the recs.

talking isn't the same as interrogating the poor user just so you can sperg out all over him like
>Ahah Now I've Got You! You Are Incapable Of Appreciating Music To The Same Depth As I Can!

youve not added your own thoughts or insight or anything to this thread, you just increasingly more nitpicky questions at the op. get a life or at least crawl on back to /r/classical/

I missed these generals.

The continuous "crunchy" sound textures. Mechanical sounds that change abruptly and violently. The eerie, gritty electronics that can be heard in the background. I like it because it sounds good to me, there's no other reason. The concept and image is also important. But that depends of the artist's imagery.

Anyway. These are one of my favorites.

youtube.com/watch?v=H0L8510BYqo
youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6QhTKrIFA
youtube.com/watch?v=cNcJluJtP2o
youtube.com/watch?v=rBtjIJzNymc
youtube.com/watch?v=bstP6yvdmzU

It may be entry level, but who fucking cares about that shit in 2016, come on now.

Well I here use "listenable" pretty loosely because I can listen to anything, but I just mean it's not as shrill or potentially grating as some noise can be. Not that it's something that really bothers me but sometimes I prefer some gentler noise.
I like rumbling, crackling, crunching, and other sound variance that adds flavor to the track. I mean if you remove that, HNW is largely droney and/or ambient, which never can really hold my focus. Ambient and drone nice to have on in the background but they're not something I listen to terribly actively

I never mentioned myself. Nice try though
>sometimes I prefer some gentler noise.
Why?
>I like rumbling, crackling, crunching, and other sound variance that adds flavor to the track.
Why?

Shit. Meant to quote this guy

as the person he's "interrogating" I don't really mind. I will answer the questions as well as I can, but my vocabulary is limited. It's funny you say "sperg out" because in this review I read, the guy behind Opaque is actually autistic and I half suspected that my "interrogator" was him looking for more in depth feedback haha

fuck off

sure friendo. you can lie to me but you cant lie to yourself. have a good one

in other news, been listening to this lately
its fantastic but i wont go into any detail as to why

Wow nice discussion
>I like it because it sounds good to me
Why?

>Wow nice discussion
>Why?
wow nice discussion

I guess I find it soothing if it's gentler? I sometimes seek to be soothed when listening to noise, so gentler sounds work better for that, for me.
Well part of what I like about noise is how every 10th of a second sounds different than the previous one and I guess having a large amount of sonic variety scratches that itch for me

lol are you fuckin 8 years old or something? no homoo

>I like it because it sounds good to me, there's no other reason.
he likes it because it sounds good to him because he likes it because it sounds good to him because he likes it because it sounds good to him because....

Thats correct. I am having a discussion
But why? You know why you like something or not? Or is it just an accessory?

I think they're taking offense to your method of asking questions without sharing any of your own opinions or anything. I don't really care but I think that's what bugs them

well that'd be like me asking you why your favorite food is whatever it is and not stopping "why" until you've provided me with the evolutionary reasoning behind why we have taste buds and what neurological impulses happen in your brain when you eat it

>Hanatarash was good too but pretty exhausting.
I heard some of their live shows had people barfing because of how loud and harsh they were

>Why?
Because there's a certain "unnatural/unconventional progression" going on with sounds that makes a "click" to my brain, making the whole listening experience very enjoyable for me or any other person who likes noise.

Just like a heavy metal riff, a pop melody, a catchy rock verse/chorus, a classical music arrangement. People find enjoyment from that.

Wow, what babies. If you can't explain yourself, why offer to converse? Are all noisefags like this?
If you don't know why you like something, you probably didn't like it to begin with
>going on with sounds that makes a "click" to my brain
What do you mean "click"?
>enjoyable
Why?

Only the most basic noisefags I guess. I try to articulate my feelings as best as I can though. Do you like noise?

if you keep childishly saying "why" the moment something subjective or ambiguous is said in a rock, metal or hip hop thread, you will get exactly the same answers. nobody can explain why something resonates with them, regardless of genre

especially when you conveniently overlook everything and cherrypick vague answers in order to try and 'catch out' someone or whatever the fuck you're trying to do

i think that guy's explained quite a bit to you already. now how about you post some noise you've listened to lately so we can be sure you're capable of actually having discussion on this topic too?

>Only the most basic noisefags I guess. I try to articulate my feelings as best as I can though
You can't seem to explain why you like it, so I guess we know where you're at at least.
What do you mean?
Not really. He's only given ambiguous answers. What's this really about though?

If I don't know why I get depressed, then am I really depressed?

>What's this really about though?
hey post some noise that you've liked listening to lately :^)

>What do you mean "click"?
A connection, while listening to a noise track.

>Why?
Because to me, is fulfilling on two levels. It is confrontational and emotional. When it comes to sound, those two fit so well, making me to enjoy noise.

in response to this, I don't think these were too too ambiguous
I don't really know what you're looking for beyond that

Bless everyone for giving you honest answers, but at this point, everyone should probably ignore you.

What has your therapist said?
Not how a real discussion works. Unless you just listen/like something superficially. Is that what this is really about?
>connection
What do you mean?
>It is confrontational and emotional
But I thought you said you liked it.
I'm sure noise makes you real cool!

It's becoming increasingly clear that you just don't like noise and are trying to prove some kind of point about noise fans. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's impossible for other people to like it. I'm guessing you like classical or jazz? "real music"?

>Is that what this is really about?
this is a /noise/ thread
just post some noise you would like to discuss
that is what any /noise/ thread, this one included, is really about.

>It's becoming increasingly clear that you just don't like noise
I never stated my opinion. Don't get mad at me that you aren't intelligent enough to express your thoughts.
>just post some noise you would like to discuss
That already happened. We are discussing it.

any fans of Shurayuki-hime?

>We are discussing it.
would you like to add some of your own thoughts on it? you know, the sort that don't end in question marks?

I see no evidence to suggest that you're any more intelligent than me though so at least we can be unintelligent together

>would you like to add some of your own thoughts on it?
I can't, I haven't heard it
Oh you didn't read the thread.

the body - i shall die here

(You)

You haven't heard noise? or Opaque? Who didn't read what? I don't understand what you're saying

what i mean is that no one is going to be able to articulate why they like something in any situation when you reduce an answer from pure theory. "I like this song because the III - II - IV chord progression really hits me," "but WHY does it hit you?"

you're asking someone to put into words something that simply can't. no one can justify a base emotional reaction to any kind of art. the only situation that can really be explained in this way is if the content of music has personal relevance to someone

>But I thought you said you liked it.

Oh but I do! What I meant with that is that it beats your senses in way that no other music does. At least for me. It's like metal. I used to be into it, but it doesn't have that "rawness" that noise has. Of course, confrontational means to face in hostility or defiance. Almost all noise is all about that. But why I do like that? Because is emotional, just as I said in my previous post. Just in noise. It's not like I like being beaten physically.

>What do you mean with connection?
Citing this user. It's all about neurological impulses.

Music is subjective

Does someone has a starting gide list for noise?. Something like this.

Anybody pick up the Haters - Future Cheers reissue on Urushima? How does it sound? I've heard good and bad things about their records, and the cassette reissues are especially divisive... My copy of BA. KU - Desecration Of The Scraped Stone sounds perfect but I thought it would be useful to ask

There are no charts this intricate but the charts are here pastebin.com/PhhV6eSx

Thank you very much!

You're such a babe

should i get a mixer for my setup? i see them in other people's gear so i wonder if it would be beneficial to me. i do a lot of digital post production so i feel like that helps eliminate the need for one but i dunno. what mixers do you guys that use mixers like? i'd be interested in something with eight or fewer channels at this point in time

Absolutely, they're really useful tools. Especially with regards to, well, mixing. Giving each source its own level how you want is really important in defining your own sound and getting a unique texture/timbre.

Obviously this can be done in Pro Tools or whatever DAW you're using, though. I assume you know about no-input mixing?

...I meant to say that they're useful tools in a live jamming situation. It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of the big name noise artists record most of their releases live and in a single take

i'm not sure if that's really my style but i'll keep it in mind. any specific makes or models you like?

Not so much, I only have experience with big studio desks compared to smaller, portable ones that get used with pedal chains.

I've used cheap Mackie desks before that have had a really nice dirty feel to them. Behringer ones are hella cheap and seem to have good tones when doing no-input.