youtube.com/watch?v=Y7KSZFxzOAo
mega.nz/#F!VwxhxLAC!q6VkJ-zPW7BnZqYsvLy80g
youtube.com/watch?v=0S43IwBF0uM
youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's pretty good senpai

You have a dl link to it?

Not nearly as good as SILY but still great nonetheless

I really like it, man. A worthy follow-up.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y7KSZFxzOAo

this shit sucked.

Not as good as SILY, but it should satisfy the cravings of your average Avalanches fan.

8.8/10 for me.

Solid first half aside from Frankie Sinatra.

The second half is fucking embarrassing. I will never know how Wozard of Iz or Noisy Eater made it onto the album. Thank god Kaleidoscopic Lovers is there to make the b-side even worth listening to.

5/10 Colours, Subways, and Kaleidoscopic Lovers are incredible

I liked SILY more, but after some time, I think I'll appreciate this one as much or more than the first

Subways and Kaleidoscopic Lovers are so great, but I agree with you about the b-side. Really weak compared to the first half

People are pretty split about it now because "MUH 16 YEARS" but in a few years it will be remembered for the legitimately good album that it is.

>album start
>man, this is great
>halfway point(noisy eater-park music)
this is uh..
>the rest
well that was a let down

awful opinion. kaleidescope is the worst track on the album, frankie sinatra tier

Listened to it 6 or 7 times now

from tracks 1 to 15 everything other than frankie is fucking awesome. I thought I was going to hate the high number of features but they all work pretty well. even noisy eater, suck it haters.

Harmony is already one of my favourite avalanche tracks period.

And as a transition subways into going home is almost as good as SILY into Stay Another Season.

But everything after Over the turnstiles is really disappointing imo, album ends quite flat, it needed an extra Kings or Live at Dominoes equivalent

Wait, what's wrong with the second half?

>Harmony
>Livin Underwater/Wozard of Iz
>Sunshine
>Kaleidoscope Lovers
>Stepkids
>Saturday Night Inside Out
Are all great.

I get the feeling that if Subways was moved towards the end instead of where it currently is people wouldn't be complaining as much.

All right/10
The Avalanches aren't some god band like it is treated as here. SILY is good, but it isn't an amazing album. It's over-hyped to hell and back.

>Wozard of Iz

>Not liking Wozard of Iz
Right back at you friendo

The first eight tracks (Leaves -> Zap!) are fantastic, save for Frankie. I just skip it every time. Folkstar -> Colours -> Zap! is my favorite part of the album. Noisy Eater isn't Frankie-tier, but it's just too awkward and cheesy to really jive well with the rest of the album.

Rest of it is less consistent, but has some great bits. Wozard would have been so much better if it didn't have that totally unnecessary Danny feature.

Saturday Night Inside Out is an amazing closer.

i love it

If Wildflower wasn't the best thing you've heard in years you should literally kill yourself right now and I mean that

I laughed. I cried. I came.

Wozard of Iz is honestly trash. Repetitive vocal samples in the background combined with half-assed flow from Danny Brown (who is usually excellent, especially on his solo work).

I honestly can't stand that track. Feels like a parody of themselves.

>no one is allowed to have different opinions from me
leave this board forever

>repetitive vocal samples

that's literally the whole album

Don't tell me what to do cunt

I'll admit that Danny doesn't really add anything to the song, but I still like it nonetheless.

It's not always repetitive. For example, in tracks like Because I'm Me, it works really well.

Anyone have a DL link?

SILY sounded like plunderphonics and this sounds like a bunch of remixes. I am mostly fine with the difference of sample sources ( as in, wildflower didnt seem to have nearly as many non-musical cuts which hugely influenced the feel of SILY) but the thing i cant really get over is how many straight up verses are on this thing which makes it not even feel like Avalnaches. I could have reasonably believed this was like Royyksopp or something.

I prefer the second half to the first half easily, shit's beautiful. Whole album is great.
I also liked the rap features, obviously some people will have distate for them given the polarizing reactions to Danny Brown's style and such but I felt it was like The Avalanches further diversifying their ecclectic kaleidoscope view of our shared musical heritage, hip hop is a major part of pop music history, past and present, and the general vibe of the album being more laid back and less dance oriented means it fits in more seamlessly here than it would've on SILY (SAIAN SUPA CREW LIVE FROM PARIS not withdtanding). It maybe makes those parts of the album feel a little more grounded to reality compared to how transporting and otherworldly SILY feels but Wildflower has more than enough beauty and feeling in other spots to make up for whatever's lost without the mystery.

also i cant take zap seriously because How to Dress Well used that same sample on Total Loss

I felt like it was them growing as songwriters, they felt the need to add more original material to the songs because that's how they heard it in their heads when constructing the arrangement. Some of these are great and satisfactorily melodically complex songs in a conventional pop sense, which SILY had less of, being more groove based.

>any time someone starts rapping

I usually enjoy Danny Brown, but his features were terrible here. He removed any catchy one-liners or good flow for generic pop rap.

Posting is almost as much work as just checking the archive but here mega.nz/#F!VwxhxLAC!q6VkJ-zPW7BnZqYsvLy80g

these

the only rap feature that worked in any capacity on this album was on Because I'm Me

Danny fucking ruined Wozard

I didn't think they were especially great but nothing in them struck me as bad enough to make note of, sounds fine to me.
Also, it's a pop album (in about the same way SMiLE is a pop album but still) so the features being poppy isn't really a negative, though I can understand why you would be bothered if you feel his style was watered down (though the typical full-on filthy Danny Brown lyrics would've been significantly more out of place)

In my opinion, the features were a good idea for the album. However, for some unknown reason, the features were either botched by an instrumental (Frankie Sinatra, Wozard of Iz should have been instrumental) or just plain awful (Noisy Eater).

I don't think the blame falls on the rappers here. I think it falls on the Avalanches for misusing what they had in production.

the rapping doesn't detract from live a lifetime love, and Noisy Eater is great I don't care what any of you say. it's not as good as FS but it's the album's equivalent to me in that It's nothing I'll listen to everytime I put the album but still a fun song nonetheless.

frankie still sucks though, really tried to like it but other than the hook (love the avalanches for putting me onto soca music) there's nothing doing :(

in that it's not something I'll listen to every time*

Would have been much better if the cut it down imo. A tighter, 40-45 minute album would have been ace.

It's not bad at all, but not AOTY. I'd say about 7/10

mediocre, a great downfall from sily

the rappers ruined it

There's nothing wrong with "Live a Lifetime Love", honestly I wish it was longer
I though Wozard's feature, though pretty sudden and jarring, worked in the way many of the odd diversions in SILY did. Kind of a funny moment in the middle of a big, monumental sounding track, adds some character. Wanting it to be more focused in mood is understandable but these guys have always been "quirky"
I would be interested in hearing instrumentals of the vocal tracks but given the perfectionism of these guys and their release timetable I doubt we'll get them

link

Count me in as a person who thinks Noisy Eater is great and actually a standout, even if it is Superfast Jellyfish

Solid 5/10

it's Scaruffi's slander of m b v from My Bloody Valentine

Why is Wildflower even on the album

3.5-3.75 imo. Not as good as SILY, but still a really good follow up. To me, if you took all the rap parts out, it would a 4.5. I like Danny Brown and Madvillian on their own but I don't like them on this album.

9/10 for me.

I think I'm going to make my own mix without step kids though.

It's the album's designated toke break
Hence the sparking a joint and breath sounds

>it' a 9/10
>i hate a track so much I feel the need to remove it from the tracklist
choose one

Holy fuck Noisy Eater is so fucking shit and out of place.

>It's the album's designated toke break

i bet i am skinnier and have fucked way more girls than you

It's actually a good track. just don't over think it and listen to the amazing sample usage.

If I was a Folkstar is best song, this cannot be debated.

That "Hi!" vocal sample in the beginning of Because I'm Me

but he got dubs.

using a burping sample made me laugh.

dayum

>That Christmas vibe in Harmony
>An album that comes out in July

FUCKING BRILLIANT

mah nigga

this. really don't get the hate it's receiving. clearly a lack of fun 90's hip hop on here. using the same pharcyde sample sealed it for me.

are you sure it's not an 8.9 or an 8.7? I'm feeling more like a 9.1 myself

I can't, the rapping is so in your face and fucking awful that it just detracts everything good about the song.

same senpai
>mfw

the fact that it's "fun" doesn't make it a good track
crunkcore is fun, want to defend that?

but it's not bad. it's meant to be funny. get the stick outta your ass man.

>That transition in Subways to Going Home

It's definitely an old school style but that's because it's fucking Biz Markie. I have to imagine you'd think 3 Feet High and Rising is "fucking awful" too

But it isn't funny. It's just bad.

But Noisy Eater is so much more musicially interesting than that. There are so many fucking samples going on and working together. Those strings at the end, goddamn

>clearly a lack of fun 90's hip hop on here

this. the people that dislike that track either don't get what that track was or dont listen to early 90's / late 80s hip hop. i get that it doesn't really fit in context, but to hate it for that....

>WELL EXCUSE ME UM UM

>listening to wozard of iz
hey this is pretty good
>danny brown out of nowhere
>mfw

not gonna lie, hate that album. outside of Magic Number it's pretty abysmal.

I'm starting to think Sup Forums was right about niggers ruining everything

Saturday Night Inside Out is such a jam. I like the way the beat chugs along.

Bitch please, Danny sounds magical on that one.

You clearly aren't going to like the kind of thing it's going for then. Hope it's just your personal musical taste and not a lack of cultural and contextual understanding given how old it is and the place it has in developing the form (like the millions of avant-teens and Van's Warped Tour kids alike who chant "the beatles sucked lol")

Better than Since I Left You, I won't give it a rating for a while though because I really need some time to digest it. It's an incredible album though.

Really curious. What's your guys favorite track?

Mine's Live a Lifetime Love

It's from 1989. It's hardly THAT old. My biggest problem with it is the delivery. I can't stand that style of delivery, and De La Soul is one of the biggest offenders (only topped by the Beastie Boys, who put out shit served on a shit platter for most of their career).

Five Miles High simply isn't a very good album. It sounds completely dated in every way, and the only redeeming quality of it are the instrumentals, which are catchy and bouncy as can be.

What place does it have in "developing the form," as you put it? Rap existed before and after it, and it made little to no impact in the genre.

tldr I dont like it

Three Feet High. I have no idea why I mistyped that kek.

lol There were several more 80's hip-hop albums far more influential than 3 Feet High

that's exactly what it makes a good song though for me fampai, it's got a great backing track and is reminiscent of tonnes of great but not entirely serious hip hop from the early 90s. It's a good as an attempt by them as a lot of their stuff is to be evocative of a time and place.

I've only done a cursory google of what crunkcore is but if any of that is as Joyous as Noisy Eater or The Avalanches then feel free to link it and I'll change my thoughts of the concept from utter revulsion

Much of its most obvious influence is in alternative hip hop - the production, flow and subject matter absolutely made a large influence on A Tribe Called Quest and KMD/MF DOOM, for one. Songs like "Eye Know" were extraordinarily ambitious sample-based affairs for the time.
And Paul's Botique is an amazing and still great sounding album too

side b completely destroys side a
i was ready to give up on it until zap!

toro y moi had the weakest guest turn
if i was a folkstar just sounds like star guitar
passable but easily the 'worst' song on it

youtube.com/watch?v=0S43IwBF0uM

i'm sorry desu. no-one deserves crunk-core.

youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0

or the Avalanches in general*

obviously, especially since it's later, but it's not like I would dismiss The Kinks or Pink Floyd for being slightly less influential than The Beatles

Weirdly, I completely adore ATCQ and MFDOOM. Maybe I should revisit 3 Feet High.

Gotta disagree completely about Paul's Boutique. Don't let nostalgia blind you: it's an awful album. There is no excuse for songs like Egg Man, Sounds of Science, B‐Boy Bouillabaisse, Car Thief, or Shadrach.

I honestly can't stand anything about it. The delivery sucks on almost every track (aside from Hey Ladies and High Plains Drifted), and the instrumentals aged like milk.

Literally a 3/10.

I am 19 years old, I literally never heard Paul's Botique until 4 months ago. I think it's great. Of course, I don't mind when the songs get a little weird (I love things like The Pod and Pure Guava), and you seem to. And I'm endlessly fascinated by the layers of the production and skill of the turntablism. I have no problem with the delivery being aged. And I think the flow of the whole thing, especially most of side 2, makes it feel extremely fun, for lack of a better term. I don't really think "B‐Boy Bouillabaisse" is that great though, I will give you that.

What's the sample in Because I'm me? Bonobo used it aswell on the track in all forms

maybe I hate fun, idk.

SILY was a 10/10 so "not as good" means anything below it lol

did he mean to say something like "i would have been glad to say this is the exception"

The rapping never felt like it was part of the music, it felt like it shouldn't be there at all because the music is about sampling and creating something out of existing works and by throwing in features it ruins the purpose.

This applies to noisy eater and basically every song with rap features, the whole point of the samples as the basis for music it is basically makes it timeless while the features concretely date the album to the trends of rap right now.

you know like half the songs on the album also have guest vocalists doing original pieces in the mix right

The problem I have specifically with the rap portions is that they draw attention to themselves, they basically stop the song altogether and make it just about the person rapping and that's just not what I wanted to hear from The Avalanches.