Music You Never Thought You'd Listen To

>use Pandora for free
>see a Tegan and Sara promoted channel, never really listen to them but remember them from here and decide to see what music they'd pick for me to listen to
>discover Colleen Green - Deeper Than Love, actually really enjoy this shit
>make a pandora station for it
>discover shit like vivian girls/la sera, bleached, best coast, seapony, eternal summers... basically a bunch of stuff I'd call "Girly Punk-Pop"
>I'm a 26 year old straight white guy that normally listens to the jazzy/funky side of electronic music like trip hop, as well as acoustic/electric guitar instrumental stuff, and yet for some reason I'm really REALLY liking this girly punk-pop stuff.
>Katy Goodman is my new waifu

Has this ever happened to you, Sup Forums? Somehow stumble across some music genre or album or band or hell even just a song, that you never thought you'd never listen to or enjoy in a million years, but then you discover you love it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CwJvl_Uw2xM&hd=1
youtube.com/watch?v=5_8M7_nwgRw
youtube.com/watch?v=VEmM6vVFrao
youtube.com/watch?v=rMZ1nwAib48
youtube.com/watch?v=kgxn39eTQAs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

iktf OP. i love katy goodman

Nice. I've been thinking about it and I think she reminds me of Beth Gibbons in a way, who I also adore. Like a much younger Beth Gibbons.

Still, never thought I'd listen to this sorta stuff in a million years, yet I'm loving it and continuing to dig deeper. I'm grateful that music is still surprising me after all of these years, I can still find stuff that is outside of my comfort zone, perhaps outside of the social norm (I'd assume this sort of music is pretty heavily directed as "music for girls" if you know what I mean), that still gives me that sense of novelty I crave while also being dulcet.

I mean I've listened to crazy avant-garde shit too, noise music and industrial and some black/death metal, but it's nice to find something that's really different from everything else I listen to and yet also turns out to be really enjoyable.

That album I posted in the OP is pretty much my new hangover music. Got the album on listenonrepeat this morning for that very purpose, actually.

Anyone else? Just a slow sunday morning today?

Suuuunday morniiiiiing...briiiiings the dawn iiiiiiiiin

I didn't think I would like noise. I downloaded Pulse Demon just because, and when my parents argued it felt good as a way to drown them out and vent. The habit caught on and I listen to noise music regularly now. It's actually pretty comfortable.

i never thought i would be into KPOP, but i sometimes fap to the mvs on mute. life is full of suprises i guess

i like twenty one pilots

>always made fun of dubstep

>decided to listen to automatic genre station on Google music since I would be driving for several hours alone with nobody to judge me

>it was actually pretty good and I got a couple new favorite songs

idk why that always seems to be a thing, people liking harsh noise and some violent uncomfortable shit from their life/past like parents arguing or something. never just like it to like it instead it's always something weird like "i hate myself so i like to punish myself by listening to merzbow on high volume".

that said, i had a period where i got into industrial as sort of a "noise-lite". i wanted to get as close to harsh noise as i could while still keeping it listenable and enjoyable, not just random screeching and shit. i had a period where i became really fascinated by distortion in particular, it can be harsh but it creates all of these really interesting layers of sound that clash together in cool ways. i made a lot of music myself for awhile playing around with hard distortion with the drive turned way up.

tl;dr distortion/overdrive is a pretty cool effect, despite the harshness. it can actually be enjoyable to listen to the cacophony if you use it in the right way, on the right instrument/synth patch, within an actual song instead of just random noise.

Depends what you mean by "Dubstep", doesn't it?

I mean there's real Dubstep which is the deep "using sub bass as an instrument with LFO's for texture" music, which is actually legit amazing. You need a good subwoofer to really appreciate it though, obviously.

Then you have the skrillex stuff which is the midrange garbage, with all of the wacky fart sounds. They call that dubstep but that's actually just shit. Made on laptops that don't have subwoofers.

If you like sub bass though I'd recommend giving Trip Hop a try. For example, the song that got me into electronic music in the first place as a kid: youtube.com/watch?v=CwJvl_Uw2xM&hd=1

Still one of my favorite songs of all time. I listen to pretty much everything and it still ranks up there as god-tier imo.

Some of it seems to slightly predate Skrillex (which I only know because I'm a BBC weeb and listened to In New DJs We Trust), but I don't know much about the genre to really tell the difference.

I mean it was more dancy than hip hop-y, so maybe it's the bad kind?

I think it's more of a thing where you just assume it's unappealing until you feel in the "mood" for it. I feel kind of shitty for treating it that way instead of just as music, like it's a fashion statement or something, but over time I've come to appreciate it like anything else which is a good thing. Also Industrial.

If you could post a youtube link to an example I could tell you. Though like I said it's mainly a question of the use of and focus on "sub bass", i.e. frequencies around 20Hz.

youtube.com/watch?v=5_8M7_nwgRw

No hate, I really like the whole aesthetic of sweet singing and harsh instrumentals.

Yeah, kinda figured it was gonna be this way. You hear that stuff that starts around 1:09? That's the midrange stuff, that's bad. But it's all subjective anyways, like I said I didn't think I'd like girly punk pop but it scratches an itch I never even knew I had, what matters is that you like it at the end of the day.

Real dubstep is like this though, for a good and widely accepted example: youtube.com/watch?v=VEmM6vVFrao

Compare/contrast, notice the focus on playing with sub bass as an instrument, as the main focus of the song.

Another I really like and has a great video to go along with it: youtube.com/watch?v=rMZ1nwAib48 (song is ibenji - boneless)

oh yeah, la sera is great. i mean just watch this youtube.com/watch?v=kgxn39eTQAs how can you not fall in love?

>muh subwoofer
i thought that meme died in 2011...

Since when are subwoofers a meme?

Subwoofers are a nice way to boost lower frequencies in any setup without spænding loads on a couple of expensive floor Speakers.

I don't listen to any female vocalists because I'm not gay

But isn't listening to females less gay than listening to males? Never understood this reasoning tbqh

"Girly" pop is the best. Thanks for giving me more of it, OP.
Check out these if you haven't:
Kaja Gunnufsen (she sings in Norwegian, so that might not be your thing)
Rockettothesky
Chairlift
Courtney Barnett
Melody's Echo Chamber

I saw Pulse Demon getting memed here, and I thought the cover looked nice so I though "well might as well check it out".
>look it up on YouTube
>press play
>think to myself "what the fuck is this"
>1 minute later "hey this actually feels pretty nice in my ears"
And I pretty much listen to noise regularly now.

Thanks senpai, also Alvvays is pretty sweet.

It's just this wasted feeling

sunn o)))
I thought drone was a meme for tryhards but god damn what an amazing band

>I'm a 26 year old straight white guy
stopped reading right there

Never thought I'd like Radiohead.
>was a metalhead
>only heard "Creep"
>thought they were just a copy of Nirvana
>"Creep" == "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
>gave "Kid A" and "OK Computer" a listen
>fast forward 5 years