/Grimes General/

/Grimes General/
Talk about one of the best artists that ever existed on this damn planet. Pls, no shitposting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iqR6EolWARE
brightersummerday.tumblr.com/post/140813442023/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015
clyp.it/vzpobojo
clyp.it/xdpyu0k4
newyorker.com/magazine/2015/09/28/pop-for-misfits
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Pls, no shitposting.

Too late, you already did.

Where?!

>no shitposting
The irony. Anyway, I'm going to see grimes for $5 in August, so you all can suck it.

good but overhyped

I'm looking for similar songs to Be a Body: youtube.com/watch?v=iqR6EolWARE

Any suggestions?

>tfw it's hard to keep grimes as your waifu when she keeps posting libshits opinions

Just listen to Halfaxa again and again

Go to a show, buy her music, stop shitposting fucking all the time about her and saying stupid shit like shes the best. Just ruins her image for people who could have potentially actually enjoyed her music.

Don't keep Grimes as waifu in the first place. Just listen to her music.

>like shes the best
Dude, do you know how to read? "One of the best" =/= "the best". I say whatever I want. Stop me if you can.

Hijacking this thread to ask, how you would fuck Grimes? Anal, oral, classic vag? Would she be in a rubber suit?

I would fuck you in the hole in your leg

Stop shitposting, retard.

Halfaxa > Art Angels > Geidi Primes > Visions = Darkbloom

Well, first I'd take her tiny body, hold it over me and roar like a caveman, then I'd rip off whatever hipster outfir shes wearing and fuck the shit out of her weab pussy

Grimes is disgusting

You stop shit posting phampai

this but darkbloom is equal to geidi for me

i dont know what it is about visions but the production gives me a headache. I can never fully enjoy that album

Visions > Halfaxa > Art Angels >> Geidi Primes >>>>>Darkbloom

Look who's talking? The disgusting Montie. Shut up jerk.

>implying you have good taste in women when you dated fucking horse ass nikee

Halfaxa > Art Angels > Visions > Geidi Primes > Darkbloom

I would have a threesome with her and Bella. They both would hate each other so it would be firey

Not for me - music's too good.

Visions > Art Angels > Halfaxa > Geidi Primes > Darkbloom

Wtf is going on with her hair? Her face complexion and make up is on fleek but that hair needs to be restyled. It's weird Bc I've seen one pic of her where both are solid and she looks good. The rest I've seen didn't do it.

yeah it's the only hairstyle I think didn't fit her

Heroin users can't fix their shit

Nothing wrong with her hair.

Like I said one of the two are always off? It's really weird.
She's paid now right? She can shoot all the dope she wants as long as she can get to the stage. Plus it's always a dif color so she cares to some extent. Doesn't she hv a stylist or at least ask someone before she takes stage?

She looks like a tiny gonzaga era Adam Morrison with his hair dyed pink.

I like her hair

She changes her hair color - in part - to perform socialogical experiments.

>G:Semiotics are really important. Visuals are really important. Instagram is so much more effective. Words can be taken out of context, but a picture is a picture. Think about a lot of the great leaders– or not necessarily great, but powerful. They always had really extreme aesthetics. Genghis Khan. Mussolini. I’m not pro-fascist, but people really respond to aesthetics. I’ve done these sociological tests where I try different hair colours. Blue and purple hair gets the most likes on Instagram. It’s almost double the likes that it is for blonde, brown or pink. I find it very interesting that you can directly measure what kind of visuals people respond to.
>A: I wonder what that means. Is it that people just like blue hair better?
>G: I’ve noticed that people often gravitate toward things that are less flattering. Candid pictures often get more likes than if I did a photo shoot in a magazine. That’s not always the case, but often less sexy, less pretty things do better. I think people respond better to things that walk that middle ground. Every time I dress like a guy or anything androgynous, people love that. I don’t know, the bro-ier I present myself, the better the response.
The whole thing is a great read.
brightersummerday.tumblr.com/post/140813442023/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015

I enjoyed oblivion

Thank you I will check out. I think the pink isn't a good color for her but i can deal. I think the actual cut/style is bad tho.

NEW MEME

>grimes will never be happy to see

Like this one, color looks good. First pic is good then she just decided to cut her bangs at a slant? That makes the last pic look silly to me.

Meme

She changes her look often. For the last one I wanted a pic with her with a wide smile, meaning increasing success. Grimes is goofy anyway.

to all the cunts in the last thread trying to defend that she's an objectively talented musician:

clyp.it/vzpobojo
>30 minutes in logic
>inb4 get a life

Why didn't you compose that melody in the first place? You missed your opportunity to be rich and famous, cunt. Grimes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you.

Another one
Post more memes

Watch her Glastonbury show here: new.vk.com
/wall-9986050_15153

>implying she invented that melody
it's literally 1-4-5
the most commonly used chord progression in pop music. 90% of the songs on the radio do the same thing

I don't care. The end result sounds gorgeous to my ears. Maybe the synth tones also contributed to this feeling.

Thanks! Sounds great. (i don't like the dancers though)

By the way listen to the instrumental version: clyp.it/xdpyu0k4

There are lots of sounds going on. Listen to the whole thing. Could you ever make something like that (incl. production)?

>synth tones
>incl. production
i'm not talking about production. i don't know very much about production and i'm not going to pretend i'm in any place to critique it. for all i know she might be a talented producer. what i'm trying to say is that the actual musical composition itself is extremely simplistic and that you shouldn't be calling her a talented musician

>meems

simplicity =/= bad

To make music this catchy/likeable it takes talent. That's why almost nobody cares about classical and jazz: lots of notes and no emotion.

Btw what is your opinion about minimalist, serialist or ambient artists?

My interpretation

the claire from that interview is the best claire in my opinion

You butchered the chord progression in the first 5 seconds: It's supposed to be IV - V - I. You did IV - V - i. Which is what it should be since most of the rest of the song is pretty solidly in Eb Minor. However, since she likes to play with people's expectations:

>“I like building expectations, and then stressing people out by explicitly not doing THE THING,”
newyorker.com/magazine/2015/09/28/pop-for-misfits

She throws in a Major to keep the listener guessing.

I could go on, but I think people get the point.

Daily reminder that Claire has a better taste that this whole board combined: last.fm/user/chairmandore/library

>inb4 that amoeba video

sad meme

nice, its kinda inspiring

last one

>A fairly regular Vancouver kid, with interests like anime, Harry Potter and Mariah Carey, it was during her adolescence that, as Garossino puts it, “something very strange happened.”

>“She changed into some kind of super-brain, exploring the internet all the time.”

>Teenage Boucher’s obsessions ranged from space travel, to the twelfth-century composer Abbess Hildegard von Bingen, to Russian existentialist lit. She crushed so hard on Dostoyevsky that she even flew to St. Petersburg to attend an intensive Russian immersion.

>But as with Grimes’ music, Boucher preferred autodidactism. Garossino recalls hearing Boucher teach one of Chopin’s nocturnes to herself, bar by bar. But only through the wall—at the time, Boucher had too much stage fright to even play the piano in front of her mother.

>“Something that people don't understand about Claire is her searing intellect and focus,” Garossino said. “Whenever you think you've figured her out, she's already three moves ahead. Things are never what they seem.”

>Her mother related how at McGill, the wunderkind wanted to take physics, but couldn’t stand introductory courses. Instead, Boucher entered higher-level classes and studied the prerequisite material at the same time. “She would nearly kill herself studying—surviving on almost no sleep for weeks at a time.”

>“And that's how she makes music today. In long, solitary blasts of blistering intensity.”

oh wow she listens to old russian classic, the cure, new order, and xiu xiu so impressive bro!

She doesn't brag about her taste that ranges from the most uncool stuff like Mariah Carey or Lana Del Rey to sophisticated stuff like Fennesz, Autechre and Shostakovich.

>the electronic wankfest that is autechre
>sophisticated
:)

Seriously, that's an edgy opinion. Autechre are sophisticated and special.

Something to read.

Ya it's a cool pic, I like what you did. I guess the hair thing is just a part of her goofiness then? I know nothing about her as a person. I've listened to each album and found tracks that are amazing but don't find myself listening to a whole album ever. She's a great songwriter just not my thing. Thanks for answering questions anons in the grimes thread.

Self correction - it's actually more complex than I said. Be a Body starts with a jarringly disconnected IV - V - III progression wherein the III is actually a momentary dip into the relative major key's I (aka a I of III) thereby falsely leading the listener to believe that the song is in a major key (an effect further emphasized by spelling the III(I) chord in 1st inversion putting the incalcitrant major third of the chord at the bottom ). It's only when the true bass line comes in that the true Eb minor base of the rest of the song is revealed.

I don't know music theory but that may explain why this song is so fascinating.

Handwriting game on lockdown. Very nice cursive.

in what way. All they do is press the "press button to make music button" and sell it.

>Justin beiber

>I guess the hair thing is just a part of her goofiness then?
I guess. Grimes has many hairstyles.

I don't like Bieber but I don't blame anyone for liking his music. Anyone has their own taste. Like love, you can't stop the feelings.

just made this for the user that likes punished grimes

>That's why almost nobody cares about classical and jazz
Yeah only the actually musically literate care about classical and jazz
>lots of notes and no emotion.
I hope you don't actually believe this

Grimes looks so mysterious and weird in this pic (disregarding your edits). There's something fascinating about her.

jazz is all emotion though

like hate on classical all you like, it's whatever

but jazz was born on emotion. it took the mantle from the Blues as the way for inner city minorities to express their frustrations at society and it comes through so clearly.

free jazz fucking sucks, though.

she looks like an opiod junkie.

>I hope you don't actually believe this
I actually like some classical and jazz. But let's face it, many times it's just music wankery (like prog rock for instance). Too much emphasis on technical aspects and too less on LIKEABLE music.

That's legit, it's one of the songs I enjoyed and it was out of the norm compared to other ones I think of when her name comes up.

Fuck grimes her bff hana is hotter

underrate post

why can't people just get along and respect each other as individuals?

Much of the vocal line is also sung on either the Tonic or Dominant of the scale with only occasional half or whole step movements up or down. This furthers the key quality ambiguity since I (aka Tonic) and V (aka Dominant) are the same for parallel major minor keys. Although in this case the Dominant is technically the same pitch as the major third in the parallel major's I chord. It gives most of the rest of the entire song a phantom sense of being in a major key - despite the fact that it isn't (there's a middle section where the vocals focus on the minor third of the scale.)

Seriously, how much time it takes to learn music theory and to detect the chords in a song by simply listening to it? It's hard?

lmaooooo

What album is her best?

Imo it wasn't but I started learning instruments at 6 so I had music teachers help me to learn pitches and how to tell if I'm flat or sharp. By the time I got to a point in high school where I could choose theory I knew a lot and had foundation to build on. If you have no training the book learning stuff will be easy to understand (chord progressions, key sig, time, relative major/minor etc) identifying the actual note or chord will be harder. It took a long time to get my ears to hear the differences but it clicks eventually you just gotta find a way to tell it apart. For me colors are what I used to tell notes apart and darker and lighter for sharp and flat. I also use middle c as my constant to help figure where or what chord/note is used if I can't pick up on a certain one. If you can buy a hymnal and go through each page and name the time, key sig, chords and progression. I did those for days in theory. They sucked but it gets you to find patterns then eventually correlate them to that same pattern when listening to a piece of music.

Visions.

Learning theory is actually not that hard or important of an accomplishment in the grand scheme of things - at least initially (When you get down to it, theory is just a system for documenting sounds in a written-language friendly format.) The most important/hardest thing to achieve is a well-trained ear (aka the ability to recognize tones, chord qualities, scale patterns, etc) in your head, the only way of which is to listen to LOTS of music until you can intuitively sense the sonic patterns going on.
I had the good fortune of being exposed to lots of music starting at a VERY young age, and so my ear training matured long before music theory even entered into the equation. Case in point - I've been performing as a classical musician on a professional level since I was 8, despite the fact that my first formal study of music theory didn't come until I was 23 or so. To this day my ear is still vastly superior to my ability to write things down in theoretical form (hence my self-corrections up thread.)
Having a well-trained ear is an EXTREMELY rare talent, and it's the primary reason why I have such high a respect for Grimes - because it's something that she displays so clearly.

thanks dude, I'm sure Claire will like it too

Thanks for explanation.

NP it's cool to see people take an interest in music theory and want to learn it. It's like learning a master instrument where you may not know exact finger or slide positions but you know what note or chord it's making. It also made learning other instruments easier because once I learned correct fingering, slide or shape I'd know already know where to go where to go next. I had a jazz teacher and we would fuck around and play random notes while he sat in the other room and listened. He'd come back with all of them written down and perfect. Or he'd tell us the pitches of random things at school i.e. Bell, cash register, whistle etc. it makes you appreciate music a lot more too. My tastes got a lot more broad and i could hear more layers to songs.

I like grimes but you guys are fucking weird

Visions > Halfaxa > Art Angels > Darkbloom > Geidi Primes

you replied to the wrong person, I enjoyed your posts too though hahahaha

I actually asked. My thanks is here

Makes sense shes shooting dope.

IM GOING TO SMELL THE HAMMER THAT HITS HER BUTT

FAG BRAINLET

Bitch be looking like a Power Ranger villain