Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sXPSo2Eymes
rondomusic.com/URSA2MN3TS.HTML
reverendguitars.com/instrument/descent-ra-baritone/
reverendguitars.com/instrument/descent-hc-baritone/
youtube.com/watch?v=B9sVw4unvcE
stringtensionpro.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thinking about picking up one of these soon.

Any experiences?

youtube.com/watch?v=sXPSo2Eymes

they are a lot of fun

Reverends are built so fucking well, the one I have is built better and plays better than my Gretsch and Gibson.

>Ibanez RG321, Big Muff, Boss DS-2
Im looking for an upgrade to play some stoner/classic rock.
I was thinking about Tokai LC-85, what else should i look into in about 400-600euro price range?

dope

They look it. I was even creaming my pants over the railhammer pickups that come installed. They look great and sound great from what I can hear.

I've tried a 26.5" 7 string schecter and boy that B string felt great. Completely responsive and articulate. I really like the idea of the bass contour knob.

Recommendation for a first metal distortion pedal?

I just picked up a used american deluxe jazz bass (pic related) for 1100 euros.
Almost no signs of usage, plays well, sounds great.

Did I get screwed over?

You can get a new one for 1800 I think, so you saved 700 for the inconvenience of not being able to pick the colour and whatnot. Seems okay to me, but I wouldn't buy a fender at that price honestly.

Not that much of a fender fan?

Most of them sound like ass, if your amp has distortion in its preamp, then you can try sticking an OD/Boost to get a better response from it.
The only one I'm considering is the HM-2, there's also some rather high end pedals that seem nice but I don't see the point in spending 200$ on a pedal.

that's a rather fair price

In europe you simply get better instruments at the same price point, Fenders are fine, but they still have the same problems and design flaws that they had 50 years ago because they refuse to change the design. Just my opinion obviously, but I really prefer better bridge designs and more ergonomic necks.

I see your point. I just have a personal sort of obsession for them, if you like.
What to do you personally play?

about to pick this up along with an amp as my first bass

rondomusic.com/URSA2MN3TS.HTML
am i making a mistake or can i pull the trigger

I have a sandberg, maruszczyk are also amazing, or you check with local luthiers/builders. I get the whole image thing, a Fender is a status symbol and most of our favourite musicians have played them in the past, but I kinda got over that and just look at them as what they are, a slab of wood with some electronics inside. And if I can get a nicer slab of wood with nicer electronics from a different manufacturer then I'll pick that. Obviously if a Fender sounds and feels perfect to you then there's no need to buy something else, but I always encourage people to try out different brands and builders.

I've played a few sandbergs in the past, they're great as well. Regarding local luthiers, I really, really want to get a lafey at some point, unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range.
Ever played mayones basses? Heard great things, never got to play them

Go for it, friend

Taylor k26CE

This meme guitar is amazing

Its only 4k . But i won't get it because im only ok at the guitar. I need to be extraordinary before i get a great guitar right?

Right now i have a taylor 714CE

>mayones
No, didn't have the chance to play one yet. But a few Marleaux and Sadowsky models, also incredibly nice but I can't really justify the price over other brands.

my upstairs studio assortment. all my others are downstairs spread around the house. still have the first guitar my dad bought me when i was 11. he said, "here's a POS, learn to play this and i'll buy you a good one"

Yeah, I see.
Just a lot of stuff worth getting and a lot more I want out there.
I mainly play double bass thought so its not really worth spending lots on electric basses, though its tempting.

Ah, I see. It's the other way around for me, I just want several really nice electric basses and then I have an EUB if the need arises or if I feel like playing upright (not exactly the same thing but good enough).

Is that an ibanez musician in the back?

it's one of their cheap 7 string models. it's easier than retuning when i need to go below E which is rare, but sometimes.....

Help /gg/
I haven't played in a few years because I lost motivation

Will I forget how to play entirely soon?

gee user, is that your parent's attic?

Thought about getting an electric upright as well, just for convenience, but I could never quite find one I liked.

Do you play bass for a living?

oops, i assumed you were talking about the silver/black on the far left? it's not in the back so

It could be. But re-learning will be faster than learning from scratch.

Oh nice! I played a 6 string from 1980 (I think) for quite a while. They're quite ok

no, that's the 2nd floor of my house. it's my dedicated recording studio. what's your fucking problem? everybody here isn't 12 years old ya know? some of us have money.

that brown striped Vantage in the back is a 1980 actually. i bought it with my own earned hard worked for money new in 1981

>dedicated recording studio
>only one small 8" amp to be seen

No, I do have a day job but I'm basically busy the rest of the time with practice and rehearsals and gigs. It brings in a bit of money but it's not too big of a deal. I bought an NS NXT 5-string EUB, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it now that I switched to their classic strings. The sound comes very close to an amplified upright bass from my experience.

No, I meant the neckthrough in the middle, it sorta looks like one of the early musicians

that just happens to be the bass amp that was sitting next to my Charvel bass.

WTF, is this asshole day with you guys? is anybody in here actually a player and not a dickhead troll?

1980 Vantage, jap guitar same guys that made the Aria pro 2 line. same duel coil setup as a les paul, but also had a switch to go single coil, really cool. only problem it's way neck heavy

>NS NXT 5-string EUB
Oh shit I'm not even the guy you're replying to and don't even play bass but I'm jealous as hell, these look really neat, and rather affordable, unlike his basses.
I wish Ned would go back to making guitars as well.

Do you have autism or something?

sorry let me correct myself
>dedicated recording studio
>8" bass amp

oh well, he gave it away. Sup Forums invades Sup Forums

>WTF, is this asshole day with you guys? is anybody in here actually a player and not a dickhead troll?

have you ever actually recorded anything? you don't need an arena PA to record something that my mic is 6 inches from. jeeze

>Implying Sup Forums doesn't consist of 100% shitposting

wew

Speaker size isn't related to power.
Recording bass through a mic'd 8" amp when you could just go in DI and tweak a little bit is stupid.

Yeah, they're basically the same thing as the CR models (which cost twice as much), both are made in the czech republic by the same people, the NXT just uses cheaper tuners (swap them out for hipshots if you want), doesn't have an onboard pre-amp (who cares honestly), comes with a mediocre stand and apparently the ebony of the fingerboard isn't quite as nice quality-wise (although it looks fantastic IMO). Those are all really minor things that are either cosmetic or can be fixed/upgraded for maybe another 200 bucks, I'd strongly recommend the NXT line if anyone is looking for an electrical classical instrument, they're amazing especially at that price.

I know that micing up bass amps is a thing, I'm just a player not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure that speaker size influences the tone severely.

Also, why not just go direct

Then maybe I've just had bad luck with the ones I've tried, but they never quite came close to what I wanted. But its a valid thing if its just something on the side, and I'm sort of envious of how much less you have to carry

i give up. there's a reason that music is shit today and a lot of it is in this thread.

How so

if you give up because someone criticized your shitty setup, you wouldn't have gotten far anyway

>there's a reason that music is shit today and a lot of it is in this thread

I have that bass, friend. Same color and model. I hope you like it. I've had a lot of bass guitars until I settled on that one. I won't replace it any time soon. Do yourself a favor and buy a neotech super strap.

Not only that but knowing Ned Steinberger's behind the whole company gives some sense of trust.
Too bad I won't be able to drop 1,5k on an EUB until probably a decade. I still have too much stuff to buy.

what is that little ago pedal next to the wah? and is it any good?

to each his own. i'm more of a fender amp fan myself. there are loads of great bass manufactures out there and if you don't like one you can always custom build one. fender and other big name brands is just a nice starting point always like gaming on a console like an xbox or playstation as opposed to a pc. i also like their accountability, if i ever got a problem i known fender is there to help.

>fender and other big name brands is just a nice starting point always like gaming on a console like an xbox or playstation as opposed to a pc
That's funny, because both of these opinions are complete misconceptions.

>PC gaming superiority is a misconception
b8

Why do people keep shilling for sandberg? "made in germany", as in a bunch of korean parts and a body that's CNCed in germany, wow. They're mediocre at best.

>fender and other big name brands is just a nice starting point always like gaming on a console
>fender
>like gaming on a console

pc is better if you got the money and knowhow to build it

xbox, playstation, gibson, fender and etc give you an overall product easy for the consumer to get and is flexible for anyone. if i want something specifically tailor for yourself then you would have to go out your way to get it. look at billy sheehan he did his own rerouting of pickups to different amps until yahama gave him a signature model.

but a fender's going to be as easy and flexible as any other obscure brand, and you are going to get more money out of your purchase in the second case

It's a tc electronics ditto looper.
>Is it any good?
I personally quite like it, it just plain works. Working with multiple layers on such a small thing surprisingly works quite intuitively.
The only thing bothering me is that you can't save loops over the USB-port.
If you just want to mess around, its perfect

if anyone has one of the following pedals:
EarthQuakerDevices Hoof
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
or any bigmuff based pedal, and plays them cranked up with some doomy sounds, id like to hear those and would greatly appriciate a clyp/vocaroo from them

I can't decide between the
>Descent RA
reverendguitars.com/instrument/descent-ra-baritone/
With dual coils and a tune-o-matic bridge
and the
>Descent HC
reverendguitars.com/instrument/descent-hc-baritone/
with single coils and a Wilkinson WVS50 IIK vibe

I've never played vibe before, but I don't necessarily think it's too late to learn.

I like the humbuckers on the RA better, and the tune-o-matic seems like a better option intonation-wise (especially when considering that it's a baritone). But no vibe to mess with.

What should I do /gg/?

also forgot to mention that the orange is suave as fuck and I'd probably start playing in a band that strictly covers songs featured in Quentin Tarantino movies if I got it.

But I dig the Coffee Burst too. Class.

damn it looks even better than i thought.

i heard they need alot of setup at the beginning. is it difficult to do?

>Buying a Les Paul
>Ever

>caring about what others waste THEIR money on
>ever

Can someone explain to me why necks with extended ranges have longer scale lengths?

On the left is a 6 string 25.5 and on the right is a 10 string 31-27.5

Because normally extended range tunes lower. Longer scale helps to get better tension on lower tuned strings.

notice how pretty much all of these are off of epiphones not gibsons

Because people will actually pay to get Gibsons fixed.

It's not that much about tension, you can get some nice tension on a Les Paul tuned to B, you just need some really thick strings. Frequency's inversely related to scale lenght, without touching tension and changing string, a longer scale equals to a lower frequency.
Tension and String gauge (or rather linear mass, as different strings won't have the same linear mass even for equal gauge) both affect the instrument's tone, strings too thick or not enough tension may result in muddy tones.
Also extended range on a bass usually goes higher, not lower; except in the rare case of an added low F#. This would be something along 23Hz, which takes too much power to run and needs a really long scale, which is why pretty much nobody does it.

What are you playing today /gg/?

Thoughts about this song?

I like the guitar:

youtube.com/watch?v=B9sVw4unvcE

>used Rogue Series II VB100
>haven't been playing long enough, still using thumb like am amateur

How often should I change strings?

my acoustic, jamming on some nick drake songs in between world of tank matches.

Playing through the pieces in hal leonard bass method. Some of them are nice.

How does a person with bad social anxiety join a band? Played in one back in highschool with a group of friends but that was 6 years ago

I have done nothing but exercices for three days

Roundwound or flatwounds ? It doesn't matter much for the latter, but for roundwounds if you want the bright tone that cuts through the mix, you need to change them rather often, depending on how much you play.

And even on bass some people prefer 35'' or 36'' scale length once you have a low B just so you can have better tension on the B string, on a normal set (40-100) you'd usually need a 135 string to have the same tension as the other strings, but a 135 is pretty damn muddy.

You only have to worry about that when you are actually recording or playing for other people, and even then it comes down to what sounds best to you. Depends on strings and the guitar.

Wish I knew, man. I tried to join a cover band off craigslist and they were really nice but I had an actual panic attack while playing. Forgot all the songs and choked like crazy. It's a lot harder to play when you can't feel your hands.

I guess alcohol in moderation can help until you can get to know them. I had to drive to the thing so I dunno. I don't normally drink.

>Martin

Should have bought a Taylor mate

It always bothered me how unequal the tension on bass is. I can somewhat tolerate it on guitar, the biggest difference's about 3lbs (from A to B) on my string set, but I think it's even worse on bass.
There's not even much choice for fanned fret basses either, I think there's just the Ibanez SRFF805/6 and probably some rondos

Correct, which is why I'm buying my own string sets from single strings. See: stringtensionpro.com/

With daddario round wounds I'm at 40, 55, 75, 100 and 135, but I'm thinking about using a lighter B string because it's just so muddy and boomy. Normal string sets for bass are retarded in terms of tension.

New skervesen model, the Skervesen JK

Discuss

Meme machine?

I'm looking for a new amp in the $500-$800 range
I've heard good things about the Blackstar HT series but I'm looking for recommendations. Preferably an amp that can handle a couple of pedals and has a nice amount of gain.

R8 for aesthetics and functionality

>1998 Squier MIM Neck, 1990s overstock Fender Body (unknown location), 90s Fender Bridge (toploader!) & cheap ass 90s Squier Tuners
>Graphtech nut
>SD Antiquity I tele bridge pickup (mounted very low)
>Warmoth pickguard
>custom control plate (1 Volume, 1 Tone)
>13 - 62 w/ wound 3rd tuned to B Standard

Nah senpai. Quality to price ratio on this Custom X series is insane. $600 on sale for something that sounds as good as guitars costing 3x as much. It might be made entirely of HPL but it's still gud.

>have first bass in cart
>at the checkout screen
>having second thoughts

help me /gg/

Bass is fun 'n stuff.

what bass?

If u play guitar, get one. It'll benefit your playing greatly.

If you're just starting out, get it. You'll love playing music. It'll be a lifelong pleasure.

i already have a keyboard and i love playing music but if i get a bass how the hell a i gonna get good at both?

Why would you want to play playskool guitar?

>how the hell am I gonna get good at both?
You're not. You'll end up like everyone else in your generation: home stuck (and if you're lucky YouTube stuck).

I play a fuckload of instruments. Playing one helps the others a bit. Go for it. It's fun, anyway.

>Playing one helps the others a bit

i guess thats good since if i buy it ill be focusing on bass for awhile

buyin that fucker right now. thanks guys

give me some metal songs to learn to level up my guitar abilities

>TFW haven't been able to play in about 6 months for medical reasons
>go back to playing today
>play mostly finger style
>now have a blister on my right middle finger
>hurts too bad to play now

dear lord why

also anyone know any good finger style songs to learn?