Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/label/886471-Good-Company-Records
discogs.com/Senate-Gangstalker/release/7662153
discogs.com/Basic-Mind-Grotto/release/8651128
twitter.com/AnonBabble

literally who

;)

>>>/rym/

Is Rich really that Mr. Potatohead looking mf?

wouldn't know, couldn't care.
however there are alleged images of myself floating around here of entirely other people, it's really quite funny

Nobody cares
Literally
You made your username from an eai collaboration album?
Get in line

Actually I know you
I followed your ratings
What the fuck have you offered in taste

literally

My bad that was mean
Fuck you though op

>AntiWarhol-wannabe thinks anyone cares about him

I feel for ya man
But you gotta know when to separate mu and rym
Bad thread idea

>tfw he's really online
>tfw crosshatches and hardboiledbabe came back ON THE SAME DAY
What the fuck is happening?
Why did you leave RYM, and do you plan on sticking around?

whats going on here?

They're the same person

who is they and why is a thread being made about it?

explain to me like you're explaining to a dog

c-can i pet you?

karlhalliday/crosshatches (OP) was a notorious RYM user during the avant-teen era, but he quit the site in 2015. And now he's back apparently

ruff

okay so why do people care? and why was he notorious? for having obscure taste?

a few reasons

rym encourages a way of thinking about music that i am not fond of. i wished to break away from that behaviour of consumption.

the rym database is very limited in the fields of music i am interested in, especially music that is largely circulated on 12" singles/non-album formats (namely dance music.)

i have no interest in returning, it is no longer useful.

what kind of dancing do you do

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

AVANT-TEEN REVIVAL NOW!

I see, that's too bad but I can understand where you're coming from.
What compelled you to make this thread and log onto RYM again?
Don't you think RYM could use more people interested and knowledgeable about dance music? You could help improve the site if you decided to return.

what happened between you and anti ?

depends on what's spinning. i like to swing my arms.

>has decent face
>chooses to have elephant legs
feels bad man

acquaintances from rym whom i've remained in contact with or met irl occasionally link me to rym threads on /mu. they are pretty funny, simply because the portrait they paint is so detached from that of reality. i admit this thread is me just humouring my ego.

i dont have the time, patience or will to integrate my collection into rym. the process is too laborious. props to ~weaver though

i trusted an rym profile to locate music that interested me. i thought that was the point of the site but some treated their ratings (not to be mistaken with 'taste') as intellectual property

do you still like "avant-teen" music or is that all in the past now?

on the internet, you can become famous amongst a group of shitcunts on a forum for liking things

also, are you really a dj now? if so what kind of stuff do you play?

>inb4 'exclusively onkyo'

SPEECH SPEECH SPEECH

what are some of your favorite albums lad . . . apparently i wasn't around when you had a profile

the ratings are still there, lad, l2rym

Quartet by taku sugimoto

XD

I sat and I sat trying to tell you all these things about Quartet, about how each moment is vital to the album's importance, about how in "Aceghd," Nikos Veliotis' cello resonates with a sonorous sense of melancholy, about how in the same track, the rest of the instruments run free and somehow reassure you, about how Quartet is an emotion all to itself. But I couldn't for that very last reason: Quartet is something entirely removed from what we can really conjure up in our minds. I acknowledge the stupidity of my next statement here, but it is true: there really are no words to describe this in a just way. Nothing sounds so beautiful but so dissonant, so minimal but so alive. Quartet throbs with a lively passion that so few musicians have ever experienced, let alone recorded. It is silent but it is loud. It reminds me of departures on train stations and it reminds me of coffee with friends. It reminds me of walks in the city with a group with as much realism as it does when it reminds me of those times that I've traveled on the railroad tracks by myself. I was suspended two or three stories over the water below, looking out at a sunset that illuminated both sides of the trees. Such naturalistic simplicity is nigh impossible to replicate, but this abstract form has it down pact. It is everything you could ever want in music because it's so alive with human feeling. Quartet pulsates with the kind of natural minimalism that opens up your soul to the world arround you; it heightens the senses and soothes the soul. It is a tear-jerker; it is a portrait of all things humane (whether they be sad, happy, cold or warm); and it is an impressionist film with soft contours and blurred, black and white faces. It is the texture of the soul - nothing less but so much more.

Itt:

i dont get it tho, i remember he had plenty of other ppl following his ratings back then ,so why did he target you in particular

Who are some Karl-approved RYMers? Other than AW

not entirely sure what that means, but i predominantly stick to house and techno these days, and maybe a bit of reggae

>not entirely sure what that means
Modern classical, free improvisation, eai, onkyo... the list goes on

depends on the time/venue/clientele, but mostly deep and dubby house and techno

can't say i listen to much released on album format. i like arthur russell, fela kuti, some of the wackies catalogue...

who was it that wrote this review, again? exitsense?
a friend, who is currently on the festival circuit in europe performing improvised music, accidentally stole my cd copy of quartet the other week. i sold him a bunch of erstwhile/balloon&needle discs and forgot to remove quartet from the pile.
he bought me a whisky to make up for it at a label launch he was operating. the cd happens to be quite valuable.

mind you, i was not the only target, and it was not only AW firing the shots.

enough of the hagiography.

nippongirls and i kicked it irl in preston a few years back. he's a good bloke.

got a few other mates here and there from perth. one guy in fact knew me from my online presence before we met by chance at a local gig. shit's uncanny.

What are some common misconceptions you've come across in rym threads?

It was Bitchfork, he then added a 'guys this is just a joke' line to the end of his review after getting clowned.

add em to the database

Any upcoming events planned?

just one last question about the whole avantteen thing, looking back now, do you think the accusations of posturing aimed at you and ppl like j_c and exitsense were at least partially true ?

discogs

Are you a laptop or vinyl DJ?

once a year, local Perth community radio station RTRfm host a festival across inner city venues to raise funds in support of the station. i will be playing at that in a few weeks, looking forward to it, performing alongside some great locals

did you ever finish your art history degree?

Come to Chicago

vinyl & mp3/usb. no laptops. getting vinyl shipped here internationally is very expensive. some great dance music coming out of perth in recent times. refer to: discogs.com/label/886471-Good-Company-Records

discogs.com/Senate-Gangstalker/release/7662153

discogs.com/Basic-Mind-Grotto/release/8651128

doing post-grad now, writing on film theory. thinking about moving to melbourne to finish it.

Opinions on outsider house?
What do you think of people who listen to dance music alone in their rooms bobbing their heads?

add em to the database

a close friend and ex-partner of mine lived in vancouver for a year and found themselves right in the middle of the 'outsider house' sound. managed to link up with pender street steppers and khotin.

i like a lot of it but i dont necessarily see a vast distinction (at least, structurally) between standard deep house and the raw, overcompressed sonics of 'outsider house'. hit up labels like BAROC and ALLISANDNOT; they are doing some interesting things...