Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYkJxGPLao
youtube.com/watch?v=aLZ7yVszwgk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>he doesn't get it

Yikes

talentless hack, and actual fag

Cage is the actual worst.

what kind of setup do i need to truly appreciate this?

I think plebs get triggered by stuff like this because they can't grasp the idea that it's just fun to make sounds and fun to listen to interesting sounds. It's not trying to outsmart the drooling masses.

>Oh wow man, the way he ran a current through a plant, then plucked it with a feather to make nonsense noise.... fucking deep man. It really speaks to my soul
>Did you order the non dairy, cruelty-free, gluten-free mochaccino?
>IMO, I think this movement is a commentary on the social inequality blah blah blah
>You just don't get it, bro

You're literally ignoring the point of his post lol did you even read it

>Cage
>fun
>interesting sounds

it's fun when you're doing it, not when you're listening to others do it.

Why do your jimmies get so rustled by Cage's influence?

The "plebs get triggered by stuff like this", or the "it's fun" part?

Because I think I understood it pretty well. I don't recognize it as music, therefore his post calls me a 'pleb', then it tells me that it's all just for 'fun'.

It's hipster trash.

Not rustled one bit, I simply stated an opinion. The ones who replied to my post are the rustled

It's really not hipster trash. If you are open minded read his book, Silence which explains his thought processes behind all his experimentation. It's not like I listen to him constantly but he really did reshape music in a big way and his influence pervades all genres

how does it feel being an actual real life pleb?

Much like with noise and field recordings, I just find less structured sounds to be pleasant to the ears. They can often be pretty interesting. They don't necessarily need to have some deeper meaning or anything either. It's pretty pleb to not like cool sounds but that's not the same as being 2deep4u.

>It's really not hipster trash
But it is though.

>open minded
I listen to music, not random nonsense noise

>but he really did reshape music in a big way and his influence pervades all genres
>his influence pervades all genres
>all genres

how does it feel being tuchusturmoiled at opinions in word form that differ from yours on a website?

Exactly. Cage wasn't some heavy-handed asshole, he just had a particular approach that at the time was very unique and revelatory. I don't think he really cared who "got it" and who didn't.

>cool sounds
Sticking a pencil into a table fan on the high setting sounds pretty cool, it don't make it music.

yeah, exactly. i think the people who enjoy listening to non-musical sounds don't care that it isn't music. its only the people who dont enjoy that type of listening experience who care that it isnt music.

as an example: i rarely listen to "music" at home (although my library is computer library is playing almost constantly). its not that i dont enjoy music, but i get exposed to it all day if i leave my house (at work, on the radio, in any store, when out with friends, etc.). i listen to music for a very different reason than i listen to field recordings/noise/20th century avant-garde/free improvisation/whatever.

You seems stubborn or just baiting so I'm not going to push you to change your mind. He is praised by a majority of his contemporaries and recognized for his contribution to music as a whole. If you read about his theories on music you will realize it isn't random nonsense. It doesn't make sense to you because you don't have knowledge of the processes behind its organization so it seems confusing.

Music sampling has its historical thread tracing back to him so you could tie him to hip hop music which came decades later. All I'm saying is actually read about what he did or else your opinion is irrelevant because he will still have influence regardless.

His concepts challenged what is considered music. At its most fundamental level, music is noises arranged by some organizational structure. The form of organization varies greatly and you seem to be comfortable with traditionalist concepts but there are many more directions of possibilities and that's what he explored

just a reminder that not all of Cage's output was experimenting with new sounds:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYkJxGPLao

That would sound far too interesting for Cage. He'd be more interested in performing the sound of a pencil lying on a table, near a fan that was switched off, then explaining in great detail to an audience of pretentious wankers how that was superior to music that sounds good, and how he should be given ludicrous amounts of praise and money for it.

>he only listens to music

>Music sampling has its historical thread tracing back
Not all genres use samples, just the shitty ones.

So you're just a bitter unknown poorfag?

It ain't Johnnys fault that nobody cares about your shitty bandcamp music bruh

Autism in it's most rarest, purest form

I was just using hip hop as one example because it seems the farthest removed from his work yet still was influenced by him

>puts a penny and a slice of toast in a dryer
>turn it on
>then push it down 4 flights of stairs
>on a tuesday evening
>during a meteor shower
>GODDAMN IT'S THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE EVER HEARD

>all genres

Why are you even on Sup Forums? Do you only listen to buttrock or something?

My interest in music. The horseshit in OP's vid isn't music.

Since you aren't into music, why are you here?

Why do people dislike cage so much? Isn't that one of the things art is about innovating new sounds and expressing your emotions?

Let me use my previous example.

I put a pencil into the blades of a table fan on the high setting, it makes a noise. That noise is not music, it's just a noise.

The asshat Cage make some nonsense noise only difference is he and his fans call it music....

So if I call my pencil in the blades of a table fan noise 'music' or an 'art form', then say i have a feeling while I do it, will you buy the album?

He innovated nothing, he just took the credit for it. And he had no emotions either, he was a maximum autist.

extremely relaxing

Again I was giving just one out of many examples. Not going to argue cause it doesn't matter if you don't like him

>one out of many examples
>many examples
>all genres

>So if I call my pencil in the blades of a table fan noise 'music' or an 'art form', then say i have a feeling while I do it, will you buy the album?
No, because you only did it because of John Cage, like everything else done in music since he composed his first piece, "Make Any Form Of Music Or Sound".

I've only listened to a few things by John Cage but the impression I get from some of the more experimental stuff he done is that anything can be music. That's a good thought because it means we can use new sounds and ideas into music and have it continually evolve and not be a repeat of stuff that's already been done over and over again.

Well if anything can be music, I'll be selling my PencilFan Adagio album on Bandcamp and iTunes for $9.99

every jazz musician but Bill Evans and maybe Miles Davis.

what is "institutional theory of art"?

Hey, I say it's music and art and I get deep emotions while composing it, no one can tell me otherwise.

thats cool, and i support that mentality towards creativity, just trying to explain why its likely no one would buy it for $9.99.

institutional theory applies to more than just avant-garde music. look at mu's bc threads. all these bedroom producers hoping to sell maybe 3 copies of their album when in reality no one gives a shit.

regardless of what you do, you gotta work hard and be able to back it up to convince anyone to give a damn. Cage managed to; i doubt you ever will.

besides, Cage popularised the idea of all sound being inherently musical. your pencil in fan idea isnt disproving him in any way - if successful, youd only be proving HIS point. if your idea failed, youd just be ignored. there is no way for you to win this argument with that idea.

People who like John Cage's noises are the same ones who gleefully pay actual money to see horseshit like "Interior Semiotics"

I think the point Cage was trying to make is that if you tell shitheads that meaningless noise is music, and art, the shitheads will spend money on it

What plebs don't get:
1) all deliberately created sounds are music or can at least be enjoyable to listen to for some people
2) just because it is music and/or other people enjoy listening to it doesn't mean you have to like it
3) when fans explain why they like that style of music it's not necessary for you to call them pretentious or anything just because you don't enjoy it
4) having talent or not having talent doesn't actually matter much
5) music is subjective

>49 post
>14 posters

OP why are you samefagging so angrily because people like John Cage?

1. recognition that something is music doesnt mean id spend money on it (i have never bought a britney spears album)
2. as stated before itt, the people who enjoy this kind of work dont care if it really does classify as "music" or not. you seem to, and im genuinely curious if youd explain why that matters so much.

But muh real music
But muh real instruments

I never said it was deep. I said it was fun and interesting, just maybe not for you. You're a pleb because you are upset at the thought that John Cage is trying to be "deeper" than other music or trying to project a superiority complex by doing something unusual, when that is not what is happening at all. That particular program is done with a clear spirit of fun and the absurd. He's just doing whats interesting and meaningful to him, in a way that is not entirely different from a Kanye West.
He was quite a humble guy from what I've read. The only music he ever hated on at length was, as far as I know, Glenn Branca.

>music
youtube.com/watch?v=aLZ7yVszwgk

>not liking music

>music

>not liking music

>music

>not liking music

>music

>not liking music