youtube.com/watch?v=cH8oLn5Avp8
youtube.com/watch?v=5DjgpPL7RhA
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jan_garbarek_the_hilliard_ensemble/officium/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S64393648
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wow remind me to never listen to richard strauss
SERIALISM FTW

based richard strauss.

Why are baroque and classical styles so easy to compose in, but romantic so challenging?

I'm kinda new to classical music in general but I was under the impression that Schoenberg was a highly influential and respected composer.
Never heard of this Strauss guy but what has he done that he thinks is so much better?

I've heard his music, especially the orchestral waltzes, countless times on the TV.

lmao

says Richard 'My musical achievements include setting an average day at home to music' Strauss

Fucking pleb-tier

Lets see you write a good 6 voice fugue then.

You can easily compose romantic by having a nice chromatic melody over some arpeggiated chords a la chopin.

Schoenberg devised new systems for creating music without the old diatonic system, which after Wagner and Strauss, had been pushed to its limits.

Strauss was an excellent late romantic composer, one of the best and most respected of his time.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cs0vSC9DUhU

Pretty much all atonal music can be traced back to Schoenberg, so he's the forefather of Stockhausen, Boulez, Ferneyhough and all the other "academic / 2 deep 4 u / no melody ever" composers.

Strauss on the other hand still wanted to write beautiful and emotional music. I guess its up to you which camp you prefer. The serialists or the romantics. Hell, these days there are even composer who do both at the same time, so you can potentially even have both.

So, where do I go if I want to download high-quality recordings of classical compositions? I'm specifically looking for Chopin and Liszt at the moment.

Rutracker has a pretty good collection. There' a guide on how to make an account in the sticky.

>Schoenberg was a highly influential and respected composer.
He's highly influential as the creator of a school that changed the way music was being written

That being said his music is usually not very well received by audiences even to this day

It's just too ostentatious and pretentious many times.

His two foremost pupils are much better: Webern and Berg.

Webern is even more extreme than Schoenberg though, I don't see how you could dislike Schoenberg but like Webern when the latter was far more associated with the things that people considered ostentatious and pretentious, especially described as such by the people who knew him well. Even Schoenberg thought that Webern went too far with some of his compositions.

I don't really think of Schoenberg at this pretentious individual anyway, none of his music has ever been particularly hard on the ear for me.

serialism is one of my favorite kinds of music
i don't think the rite of spring would have been written without its influence

youtube.com/watch?v=WrTGi2DxYY0

this sounds too much like jazz... ewwwww!

time for real music instead
youtube.com/watch?v=8u17sUtur40

Remove all of this degenerate music, please.

tfw you can enjoy all kinds of classical music

rite of spring wasn't serial, just dissonant

which one is your favorite and least favorite?

idk but considering how much i listen to them i like 20th century avant-garde, romantic music, minimalist and serialism the most.

I probably listen the least to Gregorian chant music, but I do really like that, too.

pleb

You have 30 seconds to explain why your favourite composer isn't a convicted child rapist.

that was unexpected!
whats your favorite and least favorite so i can compliment your excellent taste

because he probably raped a child

>Serialism
>Schoenberg
You know nothing.

> favorite
Classical
> least favorite
modernist

duh

who are the best stochastic composers? I'm new and only have listened to Xenakis

When you wrote Lugebat David Absalon who cares where you stuck your dick

Well done!
your 'duh' makes it all the more obvious it is better to like one than the other, which is an objective fact!

You are officially a true scholar on the subject of music. God bless elitism and snobism.

the man wrote Also sprach Zarathustra, he can say whatever he wants

>modernist
This is an awful and incredibly uninformed sounding way of describing music.

His only real contribution to music was the Sheep movement of Don Quixote.

What?
Serialism is almost synonymous with twelve-tone music. A technique Schoenberg invented.

okay /classical/, I'm massive pleb who saw a mention of philip glass's koyaanisqatsi score in the comments section of a oneohtrix point never video, checked it out, and liked it. what do I do now? I've literally never listened to any classical music before other than a class in highschool and only have vague notions of the different periods of its history.
spoonfeed me pls

Pretty funny that the exact year Gombert disappears from the Imperial Chapel's payment records, Scotto publishes a collection of his motets in Italy, which opens with a piece that contains these lines:
>Let not the greediness of the belly nor lust of the flesh take hold of me; and give not over me thy servant into an impudent mind.

Didn't Scriabin start 12 tone though?

Schoenberg invented and implemented one serial technique. This doesn't really make his music serialist, especially since later serialist composers rejected him.

youtube.com/watch?v=Abby2S5OSXM
youtube.com/watch?v=otjDtyF-nQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=L0YeM6965rs
youtube.com/watch?v=OJSJeieA7B0

>Schoenberg invented and implemented one serial technique.

true, but he also was one of the first and at least most widely recognized that thought of music this way.

his studies for developing the twelve tone technique are pretty much serialism. its all about manipulating series of values and applying them to music. but around the same time independant from schoenberg composers developed other techniques that moved away from the established way of thinking about (especially) harmony and melody. which is what serialism is all about imo, breaking new ground.

The fact that later serialist composers rejected his work doesn't make his work less based on manipulating series/serialism i feel.

>guy says he liked Philip Glass and asks for recs
>You just link a bunch of unrelated Romantic music you like
Jeez the autism is strong with this one

Ok, so if you liked Koyaanisqatsi the first thing you should do is listen to Einstein on the Beach, since that's Glass's really big, serious work.
Here are some recommendations of other similar works, with opportunities to branch out. If you really like classical music, you should get some kind of book on music history. That will make learning about classical music, the periods, the major composers, etc. that much easier. Anyway, some recs:

Steve Reich - Different Trains
Arvo Part - Symphony 3
Terry Riley - A Rainbow in Curved Air
Gorecki - Symphony of Sorrows
Gubaidulina - Alleluiah
Varese - Poem Electronique
Feldman - Rothko Chapel

Most of those are from Johann Strauss, unrelated and 75 years before Richard Strauss.

>guy says he never listened to classical music
>rec him classical music
>gets mad

>Johann Strauss
holy shit and I thought he was the son of Richard for my entire life

reccing someone Bruckner should be a crime.

pleb

Find one flaw

PROTIP: You can't

I know it's a meme but listen to Reich's Music for 18 Musicians.

Q: What would German music be with no bog gigues?

A: Music.

unless the person asking clearly likes Mahler or something

I saw Ferneyhough at a grocery store in Stanford yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you, then. You seem like a nice person with opinions that are well reasoned.

Why is /classical/ such a rockist general?

Judging by his music, I do not find this obvious lie to be too far fetched tbqh

Reminder that this motherfucker composed Don Juan when he was 23:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_um5yLJx-RM

What have you accomplished lately?

I managed to find my prostate in the shower while I was fisting my anus, felt pretty good

Finished my first opera.

Someone explain serialism to me as if I'm Euler.

>What have you accomplished lately?
Something like 20 fugues

Strauss is far cooler than I am though

>What have you accomplished lately?
something like 30 minutes of piano music in the last 4 days

but you can be sure as hell that when i'll be 23 i'll be either dead, homeless or composing something better than don juan

So I've made some normie friends and looked out of curiousity at the music they're posting on their facebook walls
>shitty EDM
>shitty hip-hop
goddamn I wish I didn't listen to that

typically autism

Who is the cutest pianist? I vote for Pogorelić.

>download a Hilliard Ensemble collection
>forget about it (mostly) until scrolling through my foobar library
>'Hey, this song is titled "O Lord in Thee is all my Trust" just like the Tallis anthem. I love that piece, let's have a listen'
>things start off normally, albeit a very slow performance
>out of nowhere a saxophone breaks out some freestyle noodling whilst the choir continues in the background
>listen to the rest of the album and it's more of the same. with 'reconstructions' of ancient Greek music replete with some more saxophone improvisation

This is next level memeshit

there's only one way to find it out

00 meme combo get

i am le post romantic composer
grr i HATE dissonance!

>these days there are even composer who do both at the same time

sounds cool, what are examples of that?

Tell me about Georg 'le-prolific-baroque man' Telemann.

Should I just download the 29CD thing off rutrcker and get stuck in?
He has a big catalog (for you)

uhh...Elektra called

has good recs wrt minimalism

if you want to get into classical in general, i recommend /r/classicalresources on leddit

Just listen to his violin concertos and sonatas

youtu.be/toF6-9pp0dk?t=2497
this chord progression sounds familiar.
Any idea? I've heard it somewhere else.

Schnittke, Lera Auerbach, early Arvo Part

youtube.com/watch?v=E8IwbnmJ_8M
youtube.com/watch?v=MWLRwg9-Cqw
youtube.com/watch?v=cH8oLn5Avp8

Posting Best Serialist

youtube.com/watch?v=5DjgpPL7RhA

Yes, laudatory discussion of Philip Glass cannot be countenanced in these threads

Euler, I'm your biggest fan! I still plan on reading your music theory book and taking it seriously.

Don't worry about serialism, Euler.

Beethoven's Pathetique third movement?

Webern was way more tasteful and minimal, his music doesn't sound like he's trying to prove he's the new prophet of music, unlike Schoenberg

>I don't really think of Schoenberg at this pretentious individual anyway, none of his music has ever been particularly hard on the ear for me.
Not sure if these two statements are supposed to be linked or independent but just because his music is not "hard on the ear for you" doesn't make it any less pretentious

What the shit

>but you can be sure as hell that when i'll be 23 i'll be either dead, homeless or composing something better than don juan

holding my breath

roll

what's your favorite beethoven piano sonata

idk what mine is but his 21st is so fucking satisfying to listen to

the good one haha

(the joke is that none of them are good)

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jan_garbarek_the_hilliard_ensemble/officium/

For me, 29th performed by Backhaus. (Well, at the moment, since I heard just 7 sonatas).

i've listened to a handful of people perform bt's piano sonatas but no one excites me more than schnabel,

how are schubert's if you've heard them? haven't got to them yet but i want to eventually.

Op. 111 might just be my favorite piece of music, but I save it for special occasions.

bump

Op. 101. First movement is sweeter than most of the Romantic piano repertoire.

any recommendations for someone getting into classical music?

right now im just listening to the classical music station on pandora and ive heard moonlight sonata like 5 times within an hour...

Read Rosen
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S64393648
Listen to Mozart (and Haydn and Beethoven).

thanks, ill go back to lurking in the meantime