Sup Forums I feel like such a freak, I have started listening to vapourwave and I'm actually enjoying it...

Sup Forums I feel like such a freak, I have started listening to vapourwave and I'm actually enjoying it, usually i fucking despise all EDM but vapourware makes me nostalgic as fuck for some reason

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLzjm9E1hwg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Vaporwave isn't EDM

that's because vaporwave is actually a parody of some sorts on mainstream EDM

what albums senpai?

Because vaporwave use samples of 80's and 90's songs and sound effects. And the aesthetics are related to things like Windows 95, Fiji, old anime.

Also: I strongly recommend this album.

you feel like a freak for listening to simpsonwave? thats some normie shit user, not that its bad but come back when you listen to something actually offensive

youtube.com/watch?v=nLzjm9E1hwg

>Vaporwave makes me nostalgic
>Vaporwave making you feel hazy and adrift
That's the most of the point, you fucking moron.

Let this be a lesson not to follow the herd and hate things you don't even know anything about.

Also, The Simpsons is and always was garbage. It had that pseudo-high brow wit presented in a more common manner deal all wrapped up in one obnoxious package. Stupid.

Just putting that bit of hate out there. You're all degenerate scum.

>The Simpsons is and always was garbage

This. It also ruined any chances for adult-oriented animation in the West, much as Seinfeld ruined sitcoms.

I smell anime fans

>Seinfeld perfected* sitcoms

Also, there are no adult-oriented cartoons in the east. Anime is for children

get some taste,fags

>but vapourware makes me nostalgic as fuck for some reason

no shit that's the point

>Just putting that bit of hate out there. You're all degenerate scum.

K-on and that stuff is clearly aimed at adults, and that's the majority of anime

Dude, it's basically an American anime. Relax... Don't try too hard to be a pseudo-intellectual.

There were plenty of anime made during the late 80's to early 00's that while enjoyable to kids and teenagers, wasn't their primary target demographic. They wouldn't have the means to properly understand the specifics or the greater themes. The experience.

That's more or less gone now though. So you are right if you're speaking strictly in the present tense.

>OP is born in the mid 90's
>gets nostalgic about the 80's

Miserable adults trying to escape their everyday lives, that is. Adults that spend more time looking back.

kill yourself lol

Okay.

Still adults. The same could be said about most western media aimed at adults. And it definitely could be said for the music that Sup Forums listens to.

And I know you're just gonna go "that's for kids faggot" but there is actually a lot of anime with real artistic merit. Satoshi kon, yuasa, ghibli, abe + nakamura. And then there's shit like Aria and Mushishi which just aren't replicated in any other medium

Oh, you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't mean anime is for kids and only miserable adults, I meant that the bulk of it is deliberately engineered for miserable 20-30 year old adults. That's their target demographic, that's what their stories are designed around, that's what their character archetypes are designed around. I think it's quite intentional, and it gets results while still working for younger children as well (who also have access to money via their parents).

I'm not going to respond to the rest because we already agree. Millennium Actress, Texhnolyze, Lain, Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, Ergo Proxy, etc were all masterpieces that couldn't exist any other way. I'm just not going to be unrealistic about the present state of the industry. I also dislike the lack of grain and other cel artifacts, to be honest.

>Ergo Proxy is a masterpiece
>Ghost in the Shell is a masterpiece
>Texhnolyze is a masterpiece
Dude I know you have a hard-on for moody cyberpunk but holy shit do you realize that you're literally calling those things masterpieces?

I literally do realize.

When I was constructing my post I pulled from my memory, experiences, and personal metrics for greatness and decided they're not only novel, but literal masterpieces.

Dude get yourself some more memory and experiences cause your personal metrics are all fucked up.

Provide some contrast.

Well there's already a lot of contrast between the shows you mentioned. For instance, in Lain, practically everything makes sense, the plot is extremely coherent, and the ideas presented in it are examined critically, whereas Ergo Proxy is just the writers throwing ideas at a wall to see what sticks.

All they have in common is a very polished direction and a sad introspective tone.

People are multifaceted. The perceived quality of something depends on a number of factors that can vary. They're also typically relative to a given whole, not absolute and on their own.

What they seem to "have in common", from your perspective or otherwise, isn't really relevant. There's a lot more going on.

>Ergo Proxy is just the writers throwing ideas at a wall to see what sticks.
To you. Doesn't mean that's what it really is, or all it can be. Ergo Proxy had a number of underlying elements, and they do coherently relate. To me it felt like it was made by people who "got it", it was relevant and relateable. Especially at the time.

I can see how it might seem the way you described to some people. There are things I can't get much out of either. It's all about having the means.

Then I'm genuinely curious to hear you explain Ergo Proxy to me in a way that makes it seem as purposeful, coherent and clever as Lain. Point out those elements and tell me how they arrange into something interesting.

And I guess you could also do the same for GitS while you're at it cause all I saw in it was a psychological thriller with characters who have no personality, no aspirations and no backstory (assuming you're talking about the movie).

Is there any good vaporwave artists that use jpop samples besides Yung Bae and Macross

I think Aloe Island Posse does it so you could try that

I've been holding off on leaving to finish this conversation with you, but really don't have the time or mind for that at the moment. If this thread doesn't exist later, I'll make one with the attached image as the OP.

What I will say is I'm not generally interested in other people, their framework of value, and the seemingly widely held consensus of what constitutes "good" and having "depth" and "meaning", of the time. Attempts at universal metrics, while understandable (if made relative to the human condition and nature of the universe as a whole), are typically misguided. Judging by your question though, I think you get that.

Some of GitS / Ergo Proxy's appeal is personal, but those personal threads do expand to something wider and more externally meaningful. I don't feel like going there right now.

Hey you're the one who started using objective terms like "masterpiece" like your opinion had a universal value.

I suggest you watch Evangelion. And also Paranoia Agent. Not that they're any better than Lain but you might like them too.

thanks bro

oh and also "A Wind Named Amnesia", and also "X" (by Clamp).

I've seen them both.

Masterpiece is not an objective term. "Tree" and "rock" are examples of descriptors that attempt to be objective.

Masterpiece is very much an objective term. It's a very loaded and debatable term but by saying that something is a masterpiece, you're saying that it has a very prominent historical significance relatively not to your own tastes, but relatively to the history of art and to the works of its author. Subjectivity has very little to do with it.